PDA

View Full Version : Michael Redd out for season

Pistons < Spurs
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Milwaukee Bucks shooting guard Michael Redd is known for being a great shooter, but unfortunately has become equally good at getting injured.

While he’s only occasionally shown glimpses of the former lately, it’s being reported today that his time on NBA basketball courts for 2009-10 is over.

Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports:

A basketball source has confirmed that Michael Redd suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee on Sunday night in Los Angeles. The injury will sideline the Bucks shooting guard for the rest of the season.

The injury is the same one that Redd suffered nearly one year ago, on Jan. 24 against Sacramento at the Bradley Center. He suffered a torn ACL and torn MCL in his left knee on that night and was lost for the rest of the season.

On Sunday, Redd planted on his left foot as he made a move in the lane during the Bucks’ 95-77 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers at the Staples Center. He immediately was helped off the court.

Now in his 10th NBA season, all with the Bucks, Redd played just 53 games in 2006-07, managed 72 in 2007-08, just 33 in 2008-09, and now after 18 games this season, he’s finished.

Redd was only averaging 11.9 points and not a lot else, on lousy 35.2 percent shooting from the field and a pretty terrible 30.0 percent from three-point range.http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5263

Xylus
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I had no idea Redd was even playing this season.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Six more weeks of winter. Or am I thinking of Larry Hughes?

timvp
01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Damn. Same injury two years in a row? Wonder if we'll ever seen him on an NBA court again.

I didn't understand why the Bucks didn't give him more time to heal. Redd was obviously gimpy all season, couldn't get any lift and was a shell of his former self.

Now he might be finished.

Allanon
01-11-2010, 05:18 PM
ACL and MCL in the same spot again, this isn't good for Redd.

I always thought he was a cool dude; too bad.

mogrovejo
01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
This is a shame, Redd is a devoted Christian, an honourable man who has done a lot for the community and a fine basketball player who worked his ass off to become the best he could (he wasn't even that good of a shooter when he entered the league). I've always enjoyed the slow, methodical way he dribbles his way to the basket when he's driving. Here's hoping for a full recover.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
that sucks. I like him. He is a good guy and also a Buckeye

Xylus
01-11-2010, 05:25 PM
This is a shame, Redd is a devoted Christian, an honourable man who has done a lot for the community and a fine basketball player who worked his ass off to become the best he could (he wasn't even that good of a shooter when he entered the league). I've always enjoyed the slow, methodical way he dribbles his way to the basket when he's driving. Here's hoping for a full recover.

I wonder if he can pray through the pain

JoeTait75
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
This is a shame, Redd is a devoted Christian, an honourable man who has done a lot for the community and a fine basketball player who worked his ass off to become the best he could (he wasn't even that good of a shooter when he entered the league).

I was just about to point that out. IIRC he was a slasher at Ohio State; Scoonie Penn was the shooter in that backcourt. Redd worked his ass off to earn his place in the game. Hope he saved his money.

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I was just about to point that out. IIRC he was a slasher at Ohio State; Scoonie Penn was the shooter in that backcourt. Redd worked his ass off to earn his place in the game. Hope he saved his money.

he gave $500,000 to Ohio State this year, he was honored at the USC game. He also built his dad a church in Columbus. Both tax writeoffs though

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics/0/YY/YYRIPGFPCTIHRLE.20090915183136.jpg

crc21209
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Damn that really sucks...great shooter...now hurt again..

Def Rowe
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I saw the play when he got injured last night. Didn't look like he stepped on anyone's feet in the low post, looked like his ankle got tweaked sideways on the drive which lead to an awkward strain on his knee. Freakish injury.

angelbelow
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Redd is a shining example of someone who is injury prone.

Sigz
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
That sucks.

baseline bum
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Sad to see Redd's career go to hell so quickly.

Muser
01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
how long does he have on his contract?

Pistons < Spurs
01-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Milwaukee Bucks General Manager John Hammond announced today that guard Michael Redd will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee during the second period of the Bucks loss at Los Angeles on Sunday, January 10.

Redd, 30, underwent an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) exam this morning in Phoenix, AZ, which revealed the injury. Surgery to repair the injury will be scheduled at a date to be determined.

“We are deeply disappointed for Michael who worked so hard to make it back from this injury,” said Hammond. “We know Michael will work tirelessly to get himself healthy again and we will support him fully in his efforts.

“Although Michael is out for the season, we still have over half the season to play. That gives all of our players, especially our younger guys, the opportunity to earn more playing time the rest of the season.”

Redd suffered the same injury last season in a home win over Sacramento on January 24, 2009, and had surgery on March 3, 2009, to repair the injury.

“It’s hard to explain the emotions that I’m feeling,” said Redd. “I know the amount of hard work it will take for me to get back to playing and helping our team, but I will continue to put my trust in God to get me though this.”

In 18 games this season (12 starts), Redd averaged 11.9 points with 3.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.1 steal in 27.3 minutes.

Redd is in his 10th season with the Bucks, tied with Junior Bridgeman (75-84, 86-87) and Sidney Moncrief (79-89) for the most seasons in team history. On January 5 at New Jersey, Redd moved past Bob Dandridge (11,478) for fourth place on the franchise list in scoring and currently stands at 11,510 points, 84 points behind Sidney Moncrief’s third place mark (11,594).

This season Redd passed Sidney Moncrief (4,000) for seventh place in field goals made on December 16 against the Lakers and also passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (2,407) for second place in free throws made on December 26 against San Antonio. He’s one three-pointer shy of 1,000 for his career and 52 away from Ray Allen’s (1,051) franchise leading total for three pointers. Through Sunday’s game, there are 53 players in NBA history with at least 1,000 three pointers.

Redd is also tied for seventh place with Glenn Robinson for games played (568), in fifth place for minutes played (19,205) and 36 steals shy of 600 for his career; just 43 away from Junior Bridgeman and Terry Cummings’ ninth place total in franchise history (607).http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5263

The_Dude
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
This is what he gets for turning downs the Cavs offer a few years ago and taking the $ instead.

In all seriousness, I feel for him.

urunobili
01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
time to get Delfino on my fantasy team

Thunder Dan
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
This is what he gets for turning downs the Cavs offer a few years ago and taking the $ instead.

In all seriousness, I feel for him.

actually, that turns out to be the best move he has ever made

KidCongo
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
He should go to Europe and try the synthetic ligament reconstruction, it will get him back much faster which means he could try salvage his career in the gym over the off-season and be fully prepared for next year.

HarlemHeat37
01-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I hate his game, but he seems like a good guy..he also doesn't seem like a guy that would be stupid with his $, so I doubt that will be a problem..

This is good for the Bucks though, they're probably going to end up saving a lot of money on his contract if he's unable to continue, as sad as that would be..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Arenas and Redd both gone... there goes my DL II team. :depressed

velik_m
01-12-2010, 02:49 AM
:td