PDA

View Full Version : help me pick my next car:370z or g37

eyeh8u
01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
http://image.automotive.com/f/auto_shows/2008_los_angeles/10873510+pheader/0811_01z+2009_nissan_370Z+front_three_quarters_vie w.jpg
370z

or

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/315/dsc0038of8.jpg

g37s

here is the down low, i can get each car for the same price 30.5k, msrp is 38 on g37 and 34 on 370z

pros for 370z

real sports car
rays wheels/great stock tires
amazing manual transmission with computerized heel to toe shifting.

cons
no leather seats, basic interior
no back seats
it will take me like 3 weeks to learn to drive a manual
will take like 3.5-4k of after market parts to get the car the way i want

g37 pros
leather, premium interior
back seats
7sp automatic is faster than the manual
only need like 2k of aftermarket parts for the car to get the way i want

cons
400 pounds heavier, not really a sports car, more a sporty car
i see alot of women driving this car
no synchrorev match manual
no real place to mount a carPC

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2010, 05:44 PM
If you want a hot car get the Z. The Infiniti's are all over the place and you're right, your grandma could be seen driving that car.

eyeh8u
01-11-2010, 05:53 PM
If you want a hot car get the Z. The Infiniti's are all over the place and you're right, your grandma could be seen driving that car.

i know what you mean, one thing is that my g will end up looking more like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/X-Vert/180/tsp.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/X-Vert/180/photoshoots/pei/pei091.jpg

760Spursfan
01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I would go with the G37 and if it doesn't come with aftermarket wheels hit me up and I will give you a great deal.

Frenzy
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
the Z looks like a win win.

The Gemini Method
01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I used to have a G37...so I would be partial to the same car if you're going to fix it up...I've had tons of friends who have had the Z and they were cool with the car--I just don't like having no backseat...I miss my G37...

phyzik
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
If those are your 2 options, go with the Z.

I know a guy at work who had a vette but had some problems with it, vibration at a certain speed or something, and the dealer couldnt fix it and it couldnt be considered a lemon because it didnt affect the overall driving of the vehicle (the guy is picky).

So he took the hit and traded it in (even though it wasnt even paid off) and got himself a G37. he had that for about a month before he traded that in for ANOTHER corvette. :lol

He said the G37 had alot of problems, more than the vette, and yes it was the auto trans mostly.

He is now sitting on a $50,000 corvette that probably cost him, in total, close to $100,000. I always make fun of him every chance I get, but he can afford it being a single guy and an engineer who makes close to 6 figures a year.

gaKNOW!blee
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I drive a 350....Ive loved every single second of it and couldnt be happier, thats my recommendation.

DPG21920
01-11-2010, 09:18 PM
370 is a head turner. Great job on the lines of that car.

eyeh8u
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Does the G stand for Gay?

i think the official brochure said "gaytacular"

fraga
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm leaning towards the Z...more of a sportier looking car...the G37 just seems to almost grown up sports car with a little more of a bland look...I just prefer the Z's styling more than the G37...

Shastafarian
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
What's your price ceiling?

sook
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
z, the infinitte just seems monotonous

Shastafarian
01-11-2010, 11:07 PM
i see alot of women driving this car

Do you only want a coupe because it's been my experience that the only people who buy coupes are women and douchebags...and I don't think you're a douchebag. If you want a nice car in the $30-$40K range I'd look at Audi, Cadillac, and Lincoln as well. Lincoln has been on its way up recently according to some car enthusiasts. I haven't personally had a chance to sample the new models (giggle) but from what I've read they're pretty good cars now. Audi is always a good option and Cadillac might have the best performance cars on the market right now. Not sure the reasons you're deciding between two cars from the same company.

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
What's your price ceiling?

right at 30 k, i could get a 335 for 35k and put the vishnu procede for 1k get 400hp but the car is really bland, the price is really pushing it, especially with 10% tax in CA, plus my race has a stereotype of driving German cars they cant afford and ripping off Medicare , so i would want to shy away from that.

Do you only want a coupe because it's been my experience that the only people who buy coupes are women and douchebags...and I don't think you're a douchebag. If you want a nice car in the $30-$40K range I'd look at Audi, Cadillac, and Lincoln as well. Lincoln has been on its way up recently according to some car enthusiasts. I haven't personally had a chance to sample the new models (giggle) but from what I've read they're pretty good cars now. Audi is always a good option and Cadillac might have the best performance cars on the market right now. Not sure the reasons you're deciding between two cars from the same company.

ford no doubt is on the way up, the Taurus sho is pretty rad, but a bit for more older people and i cant get a good deal on it. any audi worth buying is too expensive for me, s5 is slick, but im not making bynum money to be able to make it rain :(. and im more of a smart asshole with hint of passive oppositional defiant disorder than a douchebag, but that does not factor into this car buying equation. i know the two cars are the same company, and even the same platform, but they are still different enough to warrant a discussion.

if both cars were at invoice no doubt id get the z, but the g has such a great deal, its makes me think twice.

A pro is computerized heel toe shifting yet you can't drive standard?:lol

i played enough video games, have a high enough iq, and enough muscle memory to be able to learn to drive it no problem, heel to toe driving inst necessary to get from one place to another ...... to learn to drive it very well is another story, rev matching will help my progression, you can also turn the feature off if i want to put my foot in my mouth trying to prove something i probably cant.

tlongII
01-12-2010, 12:41 AM
My brother's got leather seats in his Z. Why can't you get leather?

Shastafarian
01-12-2010, 12:54 AM
right at 30 k, i could get a 335 for 35k and put the vishnu procede for 1k get 400hp but the car is really bland, the price is really pushing it, especially with 10% tax in CA, plus my race has a stereotype of driving German cars they cant afford and ripping off Medicare , so i would want to shy away from that. :lol That's an interesting stereotype.

ford no doubt is on the way up, the Taurus sho is pretty rad, but a bit for more older people and i cant get a good deal on it. any audi worth buying is too expensive for me, s5 is slick, but im not making bynum money to be able to make it rain :(.Ford is looking good and although GM sucks huge balls Caddy is a premier brand. The CTS is a sweet fuckin ride. But yeah 30K for a new CTS is pushing it.

and im more of a smart asshole with hint of passive oppositional defiant disorder than a douchebag, but that does not factor into this car buying equation. i know the two cars are the same company, and even the same platform, but they are still different enough to warrant a discussion. Maybe it's me but I just don't get coupes. They're not practical and you can usually get 4 doors and a decent back seat for the same price or cheaper. To each his own I guess. If I had to choose I'd go with the G37 for the same price. Resale will be higher and quality is better. That being said if I didn't have to choose from those two I would probably consider something else. Have you considered certified pre-owned?

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 01:05 AM
My brother's got leather seats in his Z. Why can't you get leather?

cause no deal on it, your brother is making bank or doesn't have the sports package with it, or both.

leather plus sport is around 34k, add tax its like 38, a bit too much.

id rather get sport package as it includes lightweight wheels from the same company that makes volks, VLSD, rev matching, and a better suspension.

i wish i had the money for both, but then again if i did, id be slurping a z06, you know how it is you want what you cant have.

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
:lol That's an interesting stereotype.

Ford is looking good and although GM sucks huge balls Caddy is a premier brand. The CTS is a sweet fuckin ride. But yeah 30K for a new CTS is pushing it.
Maybe it's me but I just don't get coupes. They're not practical and you can usually get 4 doors and a decent back seat for the same price or cheaper. To each his own I guess. If I had to choose I'd go with the G37 for the same price. Resale will be higher and quality is better. That being said if I didn't have to choose from those two I would probably consider something else. Have you considered certified pre-owned?

i have a sedan right now, i had it for 5 years, there has only been 7 occasions where there has been more than one person in the car, 3 occasions when there was so many people i needed to use the back seat. thats why i want coupe pretty much.

as for pre owned , the apr is so high on those cars for me, like 9-11%, its not worth it.

what do you drive btw.

Shastafarian
01-12-2010, 01:24 AM
i have a sedan right now, i had it for 5 years, there has only been 7 occasions where there has been more than one person in the car, 3 occasions when there was so many people i needed to use the back seat. thats why i want coupe pretty much.Fair enough. It's all about each person's individual taste. I was only half serious earlier with the girl or douchebag comment. My roommate senior year, who is one of my best friends, has a coupe and he's not a douchebag.

as for pre owned , the apr is so high on those cars for me, like 9-11%, its not worth it. Damn that is high.

what do you drive btw.
2008 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro S-Line. Love it and bought it certified pre-owned. It was a dealer car so it had limited miles and basically no wear. I know some people have a stigma about pre-owned cars but if you know where to look, you can find great deals.

phyzik
01-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Just an FYI, Both cars are "Sporty cars" by your definition.

dont expect to take out a V8 unless you get the 370z and run across an older mustang or camaro. I have smoked a 370z with my 4 door G8 GT and it wasnt even close. A freiend of mine got rid of his 350z after losing to a Chevy cobalt SS 2 years ago.

they are great track cars, I LOVE their suspension and cornering, but who do you know that races on a track or around corners in town?

I guess it depends on what your looking for. All I'm saying is dont turn all Fast and Furious thinking you can take out the big boys. You will get embarassed.

PM5K
01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
No way I'd get a car without leather, especially if I'm paying 30K.

Also, you can fit a carpc on a fucking Power wheels, if you can't fit one in a car you have problems.

koriwhat
01-12-2010, 01:52 AM
bmw

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Just an FYI, Both cars are "Sporty cars" by your definition.

dont expect to take out a V8 unless you get the 370z and run across an older mustang or camaro. I have smoked a 370z with my 4 door G8 GT and it wasnt even close. A freiend of mine got rid of his 350z after losing to a Chevy cobalt SS 2 years ago.

they are great track cars, I LOVE their suspension and cornering, but who do you know that races on a track or around corners in town?

I guess it depends on what your looking for. All I'm saying is dont turn all Fast and Furious thinking you can take out the big boys. You will get embarassed.

i dont race on the street, or straighline, the 370z is a a sports car, your g8 is a muscle car, also the person you raced against probably cant drive, or you started the race at a higher speed not from dig where the v8's flexes its torque and muscles. it was probably my future self not knowing how to drive a stick:)

i know its theory racing but a stock g8 ran the G8 GT roared to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds en route to a blistering 13.7-second quarter-mile. at edmunds
same edmunds driver the 370z 5.1 seconds (4.9 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The new Z-car is no featherweight, as this test car's 3,359 pounds prove, but it does serious business, as the quarter-mile comes up in 13.4 seconds

i dont know much about the g8 but other publications have claimed 4.5 0-60 on 370z auto and 13.1 quarter mile stock.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q2/2009_nissan_370z_automatic-short_take_road_test

edit: lol big boys

f5TsLeQIZqc

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:01 AM
No way I'd get a car without leather, especially if I'm paying 30K.

Also, you can fit a carpc on a fucking Power wheels, if you can't fit one in a car you have problems.

its more about mounting the screen, the g37 already comes with a screen, even the non gps, thats why, its hard

one dude mounted his on the ceiling, dont wanna do that:
pic too big to post
http://photos.streamphoto.ru/d/5/b/11614e907d18bcebe52bcd14c888ab5d.jpg

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:04 AM
bmw

i know your are friends with Dejaun and George, if you could get them to help me out with the down payment, i promise thats what ill get.

koriwhat
01-12-2010, 02:07 AM
i know your are friends with Dejaun and George, if you could get them to help me out with the down payment, i promise thats what ill get.

i aint friends with them... haha. shit, maybe they can help me out with a down payment.

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:13 AM
i aint friends with them... haha. shit, maybe they can help me out with a down payment.

come on dude stop frontin (is that how to spell it?) i saw you bowling with them, and washing cars or something with them, george hill even took a pic with you with his camera he is holding in his hands.

koriwhat
01-12-2010, 02:17 AM
come on dude stop frontin (is that how to spell it?) i saw you bowling with them, and washing cars or something with them, george hill even took a pic with you with his camera he is holding in his hands.

haha wish that was the case.

gh3 sent out a tweet for his fans to receive free tickets from him at said car wash. i went, got some free tickets, talked for a minute with him, tried to take a photo with him but i have short arms so he took the photo for me with my phone. haha

as for bowling with db and gh3. both tweeted wanting their fans to come out and bowl with them for free after the game that night. i went, bowled, and took a couple photos.

if i was boys with them i'd probably be out partying with them and have better photos than hanging at a car wash and a bowling ally.

:)

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:20 AM
haha wish that was the case.

gh3 sent out a tweet for his fans to receive free tickets from him at said car wash. i went, got some free tickets, talked for a minute with him, tried to take a photo with him but i have short arms so he took the photo for me with my phone. haha

as for bowling with db and gh3. both tweeted wanting their fans to come out and bowl with them for free after the game that night. i went, bowled, and took a couple photos.

if i was boys with them i'd probably be out partying with them and have better photos than hanging at a car wash and a bowling ally.

:)

i know dude i was read your posts, just joking, pretty cool you met them though, the only player i met is nate mcmillian back when he played for Seattle, he was at an LA mall when they were playing the lakers in the playoffs.

koriwhat
01-12-2010, 02:22 AM
i know dude i was read your posts, just joking, pretty cool you met them though, the only player i met is nate mcmillian back when he played for Seattle, he was at an LA mall when they were playing the lakers in the playoffs.

thats cool. man thats old school.

anyhow are you dead set on either of those 2 cars? dont wanna go the used route? if i had to choose between those two it would be the G. i wouldnt mind a new hyundai genesis if it looked better.

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:26 AM
thats cool. man thats old school.

anyhow are you dead set on either of those 2 cars? dont wanna go the used route? if i had to choose between those two it would be the G. i wouldnt mind a new hyundai genesis if it looked better.

the new hyundais are nice, if i was 20 years older i would rock a genesis 4 door, and say fuck off to the haters, but the coupe front reminds me of a 12 year old with braces

http://probaway.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/hyundai-genesis-coupe-2010-793431.jpg

Bukefal
01-12-2010, 05:40 AM
I would get the Nissan. Both look awesome, but Nissan is just better as a car.

benefactor
01-12-2010, 06:35 AM
I would get the Nissan. Both look awesome, but Nissan is just better as a car.
Nissan makes Inifiniti.

fraga
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
the new hyundais are nice, if i was 20 years older i would rock a genesis 4 door, and say fuck off to the haters, but the coupe front reminds me of a 12 year old with braces

http://probaway.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/hyundai-genesis-coupe-2010-793431.jpg

I just love how Hyundais for years have just been biting off other companies style of cars and modifying them and calling them Hyundais...you can have a nice looking car with a cheap ass price tag...

lebomb
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
The G37 is a nicer car..............its like going from a Honda to an Acura. The 370 is the cheaper version of the G37.

Bukefal
01-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Nissan makes Inifiniti.

Yeah, Volkswagen also makes Skoda, but I still rather go with Volkswagen.

bus driver
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
so what was the decision?

.....the gray car?

Cry Havoc
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
cause no deal on it, your brother is making bank or doesn't have the sports package with it, or both.

leather plus sport is around 34k, add tax its like 38, a bit too much.

id rather get sport package as it includes lightweight wheels from the same company that makes volks, VLSD, rev matching, and a better suspension.

i wish i had the money for both, but then again if i did, id be slurping a z06, you know how it is you want what you cant have.

Why don't you get a 2 year old 'vette? Still going to be almost new, and waaaaaay sweeter than either of these rides. Plus it's faster and handles better.

Buying a new car is throwing your money away.

Sportcamper
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I think you should get a new F-150…They are better made, have good resale & you can go to home depot & put lots of stuff in the bed…Also you can wear a real cowboy hat while driving a F-150 & look cool….You would look silly driving a Z- car while wearing a cowboy hat…

koriwhat
01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
^ fuckin' stereotypes... i aint no god damn cowboy and i doubt he is either.

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I think you should get a new F-150…They are better made, have good resale & you can go to home depot & put lots of stuff in the bed…Also you can wear a real cowboy hat while driving a F-150 & look cool….You would look silly driving a Z- car while wearing a cowboy hat…

i dont own a cowboy hat, but if you buy me one i might consider it. pm me for my paypal

so what was the decision?

.....the gray car?

dont know yet got a couple more days to decide

Why don't you get a 2 year old 'vette? Still going to be almost new, and waaaaaay sweeter than either of these rides. Plus it's faster and handles better.

Buying a new car is throwing your money away.

a non z06 corvette doesnt handle better than a z, unless it has a z51 package then its a drivers race, and the cheapest of those is a private party sale around 32k with 40k miles, which means i have to pay for it all at once, i cant afford that. also insurance will be 35% higher than the z even though the car is 2 years older. i gotta hand one thing to the corvette, the car is so huge but weighs like 50 pounds less than the z, thats pretty impressive, still though, no vette for me, not unless you know some angry divorcee (dont know how to spell that but it sounds like divorce-ey) with a Z06 that wants to get rid of his car for the cheap so the cheating wife wont take it in the settlement.

BacktoBasics
01-12-2010, 02:14 PM
i dont own a cowboy hat, but if you buy me one i might consider it. pm me for my paypal

dont know yet got a couple more days to decide

a non z06 corvette doesnt handle better than a z, unless it has a z51 package then its a drivers race, and the cheapest of those is a private party sale around 32k with 40k miles, which means i have to pay for it all at once, i cant afford that. also insurance will be 35% higher than the z even though the car is 2 years older. i gotta hand one thing to the corvette, the car is so huge but weighs like 50 pounds less than the z, thats pretty impressive, still though, no vette for me, not unless you know some angry divorcee (dont know how to spell that but it sounds like divorce-ey) with a Z06 that wants to get rid of his car for the cheap so the cheating wife wont take it in the settlement.
You can find C6's closer to the 30k range. You don't have to pay for it all at once just have your bank do the financing for you then shop until you find that killer deal.

Not bad

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvettes-for-sale/2490061-for-sale-2006-corvette-c6-z51-3lt-nav-hud-custom-wheels-mods.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvettes-for-sale/2504220-f-s-2005-c6-coupe-25-000-a.html

just barely scratching the surface of good deals.

and you won't have to hop in and out of those faggy tuner rides.

eyeh8u
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
You can find C6's closer to the 30k range. You don't have to pay for it all at once just have your bank do the financing for you then shop until you find that killer deal.

Not bad

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvettes-for-sale/2490061-for-sale-2006-corvette-c6-z51-3lt-nav-hud-custom-wheels-mods.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvettes-for-sale/2504220-f-s-2005-c6-coupe-25-000-a.html

just barely scratching the surface of good deals.

and you won't have to hop in and out of those faggy tuner rides.

im not gonna drive cross country to buy a car, local as in LA they are more expensive, second the banks financing on a used car that is private party is going to go through the roof, 10-14%, thats if they even approve the loan.

chreph
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2777/4047071437_f1997783b2_b.jpg

I would at least go take a look at the genesis coupe. It came down between the 370z, g37, and genesis coupe for me and I wound up with the gen coupe because, while it wasn't the best at any of the major driving categories you look at when buying the car, it did everything well and was # 1 in price/warranty. Go drive an auto 370Z and then drive an auto 3.8 genesis coupe track. I got my 3.8 track loaded with navigation for $29.5K and would have had to pay around $37K (best case) for a comparably equipped Z or close to $40K for a G37. Plus, injen has already made 300whp on the gen with just an intake, exhaust, and an early version tune (just fuel, not touching timing or rev limiter yet). Once the car's been out for another couple of months, you'll be comfortably over 300whp with a tune and have only spent another $1,500 to get there. AFAIK, the 370 is already close to it's N/A potential stock (headers aren't gaining all that much, for example) whereas just a CAI is dynoing 14+ whp on the coupe. Just go test drive them back to back and see what you come up with for yourself :toast Just make sure you compare apples to apples with the cars. If you drive a manual Z, of course you're going to love it more than an auto genesis.

If you don't plan on taking a big hit depreciation wise (i.e. trading the car in within 2 years), you may not need a back seat or trunk RIGHT NOW but you may need it down the line. The Z is a much better car to have if you're married and have another vehicle to use when necessary or it's going to be a weekend/fun car. The genesis coupe is honestly everything the G37 is at $10K less.