PDA

View Full Version : help me pick my next flat screen!

I am Tom
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
It's either this.....

http://www.chinalogue.com/files/2008/09/1.jpg

This television was manufactured in March of 206. It has a 62″ display screen and is approximately 120.0 * 60.0 * 80.0 cm. It weighs close to 18.0 kg making this item difficult to ship cheaply. The best method for shipping would probably be drop freight. It is a rear projection television, DLP display technology and is considered a high end HDTV. Per usual, it comes with a remote control and user manual.

or this......

http://www.chinalogue.com/files/2008/09/3-300x225.jpg

The Panasonic TH-65PF9UK 65 has a 65″ Diagonal screen size, 1920X1080 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio. It can display 29.0 billion colors as well as formats 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p_60. The MSRP on this product is $10,995, the price of a new Kia. This television includes features like 3:2 Pull Down, V-Chip, Closed Captioning and Picture-in-Picture.

Frenzy
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Not that we need to know but what's the price on the 1st?

I am Tom
01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.chinalogue.com/information/most-expensive-tvs-made-in-china.html

The Gemini Method
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Panasonic makes a great t.v., but why are you willing to spend half a car's note on a t.v.? There are plenty of great television sets for a fraction of that cost. You could also buy a complete set of surround systems and/or other stuff. Just curious is all...

eyeh8u
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
the panny

Wild Cobra
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Hmmm...

A DLP made in 2006?

Better check the replacement bulb prices before buying either sight unseen...

Wild Cobra
01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I may be wrong, but I have preference to the Samsung TV's Check them out before you decide.

TheMACHINE
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Costco 73 inch Rear Projection LCD $1499.99

The Gemini Method
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I may be wrong, but I have preference to the Samsung TV's Check them out before you decide.

I love my Samsung...it is so damn amazing that my eyes don't even know how to live anymore...

Wild Cobra
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I love my Samsung...it is so damn amazing that my eyes don't even know how to live anymore...

When I bought mine, the shelf I saw the dosplays on had a samsung 720P outshinging the Sony and other 1080P's When I looked at the Samsung 1080P... I broke out the credit card!

balli
01-11-2010, 07:32 PM

I have a preference for Samsung everything. Such high quality products.

The Gemini Method
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
When I bought mine, the shelf I saw the dosplays on had a samsung 720P outshinging the Sony and other 1080P's When I looked at the Samsung 1080P... I broke out the credit card!

No kidding man...I researched for 3 months before buying my Samsung...I studied every response and detail and made the right decision. I am never meticulous when it comes to electronics, but now I think I should be...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
wow, frenzy. that's quite a sig :tu

lefty
01-11-2010, 11:43 PM
I bought a Samsung HD series 5 last summer:

40' - LCD - 1080 p

Very happy with my purchase :tu

(LN40B530)

PM5K
01-12-2010, 01:10 AM
This is some kind of joke right?

lefty
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
IMHO, any TV manufactured in 206 has got to be outdated

BacktoBasics
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
I have a Panny. Its a relatively new one. 54''. Its a good picture but the 600mhz refresh isn't half as good as my Toshiba with the 250mhz. My expectations were pretty high for the Panny but in high action scenes (specifically live sports) it pixilates ever so slightly when the camera pans in. I don't have this problem on my Toshiba.

Its a great TV but I wouldn't buy it again.

lebomb
01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I love Toshiba products...........I have Toshiba TVs and DVD players.......never has one issue with any of them.

mrsmaalox
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I have owned a Samsung everything at one time or another. This Christmas I got their top of the line washer and dryer, which are of course, sublime ;) I'll be looking to replace my downstairs 40" Toshiba in the next few months, so please give a detailed review of the one you choose :)

I. Hustle
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I had that first one. So in my experience I say stay away. It looks great but the bulbs are crappy to deal with.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah. I'm in the market for one, too. My other one crapped out on me a while back. It sucks. I'm waiting until towards the end of February to get one. That's when last years models unload and make room for this years models. I'd like to keep it under a grand and get a good one. I love samsung tv's. They're the best I've seen. Sony's too. I've heard that samsungs are made by Sony or vice versa. Or maybe they use the same parts or something. I'll need to look that up. One question is there a noticable difference between a 60hz and 120 hz refresh rate? 240hz and above will be out of my price range.

BacktoBasics
01-12-2010, 11:25 AM
One question is there a noticable difference between a 60hz and 120 hz refresh rate? 240hz and above will be out of my price range.I'm thinking no because my my Toshiba at 240 actually keeps up with high action in close ups better than my 600 Panny.

The Gemini Method
01-12-2010, 12:02 PM
. One question is there a noticable difference between a 60hz and 120 hz refresh rate? 240hz and above will be out of my price range.

The funny thing is; that most cable companies can handle 60hz refresh rate, so the 120hz isn't necessarily utilize a good portion of the time. I have a 6 series Samsung 40inch with 1080p 120hz and I mostly utilize the refresh rate on my Blu-Ray usage and whenever a videogame that needs fast refreshing (fighting game/sports). I rarely use it for normal cable, but if I do--the 120hz makes the tv feel a little to soap opera like...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
The funny thing is; that most cable companies can handle 60hz refresh rate, so the 120hz isn't necessarily utilize a good portion of the time. I have a 6 series Samsung 40inch with 1080p 120hz and I mostly utilize the refresh rate on my Blu-Ray usage and whenever a videogame that needs fast refreshing (fighting game/sports). I rarely use it for normal cable, but if I do--the 120hz makes the tv feel a little to soap opera like...

Yeah. This will be for blu-Ray and gaming mainly. Didn't know the cable company had to send you a 60hz refresh rate. I thought a cable signal was a cable signal was a cable signal. So you can switch between which refresh rate you want? Interesting.

bus driver
01-12-2010, 05:29 PM

+1 samsung is the way to go. all my tvs have been samsung. i have a tube tv that i bought along time ago and the images is as about as good as the first day i bought it. i dont use as much anymore but when i do it doesnt suck.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok. Well I pulled the trigger on this purchase earlier than what I thought, but I got a pretty good deal out of it along with quite a surprise. I got a samsung 40" LN40B750 and :drool: I can't say enough about it. I've been watching an SD tv set for about 5 months and that sucked. The pic is just stunning and I haven't really tweaked the settings to my liking. The pic almost looks 3D. It's got a 240hz refresh rate with a 2ms refresh time and a 150,000 contrast and it cooks. Plenty of I/O's. Ethernet input. Two USB inputs and an optical out. This thing can also go online and it has an internal 2GB flash memory. It also has DLNA which is a program that allows to tap into your PC or MAC via wifi. Very cool. Overall a very nice set. Reviews for this set are nothing but praise for it. I'm trying to find the one that said that some of the display properties of this set rivals the LED sets that samsung puts out. In no way did they say that this set was better overall than an LED tv. I got this set for $1080 tax included. When I was heading out the dude told me that I also get a free samsung bluray player. :D what a surprise. The bluray player has BD live and can stream netflix, blockbuster, and pandora. Very nice!!!

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah. This will be for blu-Ray and gaming mainly. Didn't know the cable company had to send you a 60hz refresh rate. I thought a cable signal was a cable signal was a cable signal. So you can switch between which refresh rate you want? Interesting.

I don't think I was too clear on what I had stated previously, but most cable companies signal is only best utilized (at this point) in 60hz. I'm not sure about the satellite companies, however, so I'm not sure if they're at a higher hertz. This is all info I gathered from a friend of mine who is techno-nerd to the max.

Props on your Sammy though...I have no complaints on mine, either.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't think I was too clear on what I had stated previously, but most cable companies signal is only best utilized (at this point) in 60hz. I'm not sure about the satellite companies, however, so I'm not sure if they're at a higher hertz. This is all info I gathered from a friend of mine who is techno-nerd to the max.

Props on your Sammy though...I have no complaints on mine, either.

Ask him about uverse's signal, if you don't mind, please.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Ask him about uverse's signal, if you don't mind, please.

Yeah, for sure--I'll ask him next time I speak to him.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah, for sure--I'll ask him next time I speak to him.

Thanks.

Bigzax
01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Ok. Well I pulled the trigger on this purchase earlier than what I thought, but I got a pretty good deal out of it along with quite a surprise. I got a samsung 40" LN40B750...I got this set for $1080 tax included. When I was heading out the dude told me that I also get a free samsung bluray player. Very nice!!!

great choice and great deal, especially with the throw in blueray...

Viva Las Espuelas
01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
an FYI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walmart, others cut TV prices in Super Bowl run-up

On Friday January 29, 2010, 3:12 pm EST
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc is cutting prices on high-definition TVs ahead of the U.S. Super Bowl championship game, looking to entice shoppers to spend now that the holiday season has ended.
In its U.S. Walmart stores, the discounter is also getting more vocal about promoting its in-home TV installation service, an offering that it said is helping shoppers become more comfortable buying larger, and often more expensive, TVs.
"We do know that there are customers who are not all do-it-yourself type customers, they do want professional help for installation," said Alex Cook, senior category director for consumer electronics at Walmart U.S.
Starting on Sunday, Walmart is cutting prices on select high definition TVs by $30 to $300. It will offer a Vizio 55-inch 1080p LCD TV for $1,298, or $200 off; a Sony Bravia 46-inch 1080p LCD TV for $778, or $300 off; and a Vizio 32-inch 720p LCD TV for $368, marked down by $30.
Electronics retailers typically roll out discounts ahead of the Super Bowl to entice shoppers to buy a new TV to watch the game. This year, the National Football League's Super Bowl is being played on February 7.
Sears has launched an ad campaign featuring Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, and on its Website it is offering 5 percent off LCD TVs $499 and over.
Best Buy Co Inc is cutting prices on TVs, offering a Samsung 46-inch 1080p LCD high-definition TV for $1,599.99, a price cut of $900. It is also promoting its Geek Squad TV installation service.
In a playful twist, Target Corp is promoting Super Valenbowl -- a celebration of the Super Bowl and Valentine's Day. For the event, it is highlighting low TV prices and touting its home delivery and installation services.
U.S. retailers just completed a better-than-expected holiday sales season. Holiday retail sales rose 1.1 percent in 2009, according to the National Retail Federation, beating its own forecast for a 1 percent drop in sales for the November-December period.
The question now is whether that momentum will continue into 2010. Many electronics retailers offered rock bottom prices on TVs during the holiday season -- prices lower than many of those now advertised for the Super Bowl.
Cook said Walmart knows customers are watching their discretionary spending, which is one reason it is highlighting the new price cuts for the Super Bowl.