PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs notebook: Bogans bracing for Kobe

duncan228
01-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Spurs notebook: Bogans bracing for Kobe (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_notebook_Bogans_bracing_for_Kobe.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs readily acknowledge the roster changes they made over the summer were intended, in part, to address matchup problems they faced against the defending champion Lakers.

That included the final free-agent signing — veteran defensive ace Keith Bogans.

Bogans has replaced Bruce Bowen as the defender asked to take on the league's best perimeter scorers. He gets his first crack at Lakers star Kobe Bryant tonight as a member of a Spurs team with a defensive approach where he counts on backup support.

“I've guarded Kobe a lot in the past,” Bogans said. “It's tough. He's probably the best player in the game right now. I've just got to stay in front of him and hope my teammates can help me out.”

The fact that Bryant is coming off one of the worst shooting nights of his career — a 4-for-21 outing in a 95-77 victory over the Bucks at Staples Center — serves warning Bogans should be ready for an intense, focused effort.

“That's the type of player he is,” Bogans said. “He's going to come out and definitely want to do better than he did last game. We've just got to stick to what we do and hope my teammates help me out, because he's almost impossible to stop, one-on-one.”

Bonner practices: For the first time since breaking a bone in his right hand on Dec. 19, forward-center Matt Bonner was cleared to participate in some practice activities.

“I'm not cleared yet for full-court scrimmage,” Bonner said, “but one-on-one and two-on-two, and slowly get back into contact and everything.”

Bonner has been participating in shooting drills with his right hand for several days, wearing a padded splint that frees his fingers for shooting.

“It's still sore, but they say that unless I fall on it and re-displace the fracture, it's all about my pain tolerance.”

Bonner doesn't have a timetable for a return but is eyeing the Jan. 20 game against Utah as his goal. He scored a career-high 28 against the Jazz on Dec. 7.

Hoping for more: After making Sunday's surprising showing in his first regular-season game since Nov. 13, 2007 an intriguing peek at his potential, Ian Mahinmi hopes he doesn't have to wait quite so long for his next opportunity.

The near-7-footer with exceptional athleticism scored 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds in just under 21 minutes against the New Jersey Nets, then lobbied for another chance.

“I had a good game, and I'm excited about that, but I really want to build on that,” he said. “I hope it's just not one game and done. I really want to build on that.”

Marcus Bryant
01-11-2010, 11:52 PM
The near-7-footer with exceptional athleticism

Quick, I need another puff piece about RC and the rest of the Spurs' braintrust.

Spursmania
01-11-2010, 11:52 PM
The first time we play the Lakers sans Bowen:depressed

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 01:12 AM
This is the biggest game Bogans has had this year..hopefully he can do a decent job covering him, and also, he has to make his Js and make Kobe respect his shot, instead of roaming around on D..

blkroadrunners
01-12-2010, 01:15 AM
I really like to see the Spurs throw Hill on Kobe some. His defense from last year against him particularly in the 2nd home game was really good.

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I don't like Hill covering Kobe with his improved post game..

He has the size advantage over Bogans and could probably post him up too, but Bogans is A LOT stronger than Hill..

I'm sure we'll see a few stretches with Hill covering him though..

Johnny RIngo
01-12-2010, 02:16 AM
It's up to Kobe whether he play well or not. Bogans may as well be a non-factor because no one is going to stop Kobe from scoring when he gets hot. I'm more worried about how Manu/Jefferson are gonna play with Artest guarding either one of them.

SenorSpur
01-12-2010, 03:26 AM
I really like to see the Spurs throw Hill on Kobe some. His defense from last year against him particularly in the 2nd home game was really good.

You're just begging for that kid to get abused.

01-12-2010, 03:34 AM
lets see some hairston on kobe as well! time for popovich to step it up on his mind games.

temujin
01-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Bogans has done well on Allen and very well on Wade, in the only two relevant matchups he's had.

He'll do OK with Bryant.

Spurs must take advantege of the only weakness of the Lakers: Parker is the key.

Obstructed_View
01-12-2010, 03:58 AM
The Spurs readily acknowledge the roster changes they made over the summer were intended, in part, to address matchup problems they faced against the defending champion Lakers.

"Matchup problems" = getting curbstomped by Dallas before you face the Lakers?

hsxvvd
01-12-2010, 04:01 AM
lets see some hairston on kobe as well! time for popovich to step it up on his mind games.

If this involves bringing on Hairston to relocate Kobe knee cap in the 1st, then I'm all for it.

But otherwise, I'd like to see Jefferson's supposed defence, that Pop and everyone else has been talking about so frequently. He ain't getting it done at the other end.

Libri
01-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Last season Bowen, Hill and Mason took turns guarding Kobe. Hill did a good job but was to short and Kobe simply shot over him. Mason was atrocious. Bruce was the only one who could get a hand in front of Kobe's face.

Obstructed_View
01-12-2010, 04:14 AM
The Spurs' days of just putting Deion on the other team's best receiver are over. Gonna have to play it by ear and pick your poison. Also going to have to score over 100 points.

draft87
01-12-2010, 04:14 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Last season when Jameer Nelson went down with the torn labrum I knew the Magic were going to make a move. Their season was coming together too well to just run with Anthony Johnson.

So then the Bogans for Lue trade happened with Milwaukee and I was stunned. I could see why Milwaukee took an expiring contract but I couldn't believe that Orlando was keeping the faith with rookie Courtney Lee and Mickael Pietrus. Anyway, both are solid players and Lee had a great rookie season but Lee was getting more minutes because Pietrus was struggling with injury and low production.

Orlando was a great defensive team last year. I know the public eye didn't see it but the real basketball minds knew what was up. That team had/has so many offensive weapons that they stood to benefit from Bogans as a defensive force.

I knew they weren't going to use Tyronn Lue and the trade really made no sense once they acquired Rafer Alston. And when the Magic got to the Finals they really missed a chance to throw Bogans on Bryant for 20 minutes a night.

Well, I can't really criticize Orlando, if they kept Bogans and he played well on Kobe I bet they'd try to bring him back and we wouldn't have him. I'm grateful for his presence on this year's team and hopefully he'll get a chance to prove himself tonight!

blkroadrunners
01-12-2010, 04:33 AM

Hill's been able to hold his own against the bigger guards, since he has the footspeed and the arm length to contest their shots (a la Durant earlier this season).

However, I do agree w/ you and Harlem that it's not a move Pop would pull particular for a long duration of the game, since Kobe has one of the higher bball IQs in the game - he'll be able to post up Hill easier than Mason and Bogans.

Also note too, Manu Ginobili didn't play the last game last year against the Lakers, so he'll just end up playing D against Kobe a good portion of minutes.

sabar
01-12-2010, 04:48 AM
First game against the lakers can't start soon enough. So many things to watch for.

phyzik
01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
someone just hit his fucking hand...... hard....

benefactor
01-12-2010, 09:47 AM
someone just hit his fucking hand...... hard....
You just failed...... hard....

benefactor
01-12-2010, 09:49 AM
It's good to see we are all giving Bogans the vote of confidence. :rolleyes

Spursmania
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Exactly. Kobe will make mincemeat out of Hill.

cd98
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
No one on our current roster can guard Kobe. We can only hope he has a poor shooting night or we have an exceptional one.

TJastal
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Kobe has been shooting terrible lately, and I think its because of fatigue of carrying the team while Gasol is out and the finger contusion he has been dealing with simultaneously.

Because of this, and Gasol being unavailable, I think the spurs will get an easy win tonight.

I'd actually like to see Roger Mason on Kobe for some of the game, I believe his length may be more effective at disrupting Kobe's fadeaway jumpshots. He did a great job against Hamilton in the piston game. Hill is too small IMO.

nkdlunch
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Bonner practices:

oh shit

:pctoss

Chomag
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Bogans has done well on Allen and very well on Wade, in the only two relevant matchups he's had.

He'll do OK with Bryant.

Spurs must take advantege of the only weakness of the Lakers: Parker is the key.

Wow, what game did you watch? Allen abused bogans when they played Boston.

loveforthegame
01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
So Bonner has a return date in mind but Finley who's gone through the drills in the last couple days does not?

Ditty
01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I would like top see hairston on kobe also..hairston is really stocky and quick and can control kobes post game and shot because hairston got some hops

Hill is still too small for kobe but did a okay job on him last time but kobe still shot over him

I really hope Artest doesnt give us problems either tonight

cd98
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
I would like top see hairston on kobe also..hairston is really stocky and quick and can control kobes post game and shot because hairston got some hops

Hill is still too small for kobe but did a okay job on him last time but kobe still shot over him

I really hope Artest doesnt give us problems either tonight

Kobe would break his 80 point in a single game record if Hairston is on him. Really, we have no one that can adequatey guard him. We need someone to sweep the leg or bang the finger. Other than that, Kobe could go for 50+ on our crappy defense.

temujin
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow, what game did you watch? Allen abused bogans when they played Boston.

Allen against SA: 6-15, 0-4 from 3, 4 rbs, 2 TO, 15 points in 40'.

Abused?

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
i hope bogans hit that injured hand of kobe, anything for a win

cd98
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
i hope bogans hit that injured hand of kobe, anything for a win

Bruce would have done it.