PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs ready for Lakers litmus test

duncan228
01-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Spurs ready for Lakers litmus test (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_ready_for_Lakers_litmus_test.html)
Jeff McDonald

The wait has not exactly been killing Tim Duncan. The Los Angeles Lakers come to town tonight for the first time since winning their 15th NBA title last June, providing the Spurs with a vivid reminder of what they once were and still hope to be again.

It is a game most Spurs fans circled in silver and black the day the schedule was announced, and one Duncan — the team's captain and designated even keel — has been looking forward to for almost a whole 48 hours.

“Since last night,” Duncan deadpanned before practice Monday. “8:30ish.”

For others in the organization, including those who pull the strings and those who sign the paychecks, tonight's measuring-stick game against the NBA's best team has been a longer time coming.

When Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and coach Gregg Popovich took their team in for its extreme makeover last summer — adding Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, Keith Bogans, Theo Ratliff and a whole lot of pennies to the payroll — they did so with the Lakers on the brain.

“They're the champions,” Tony Parker said. “They're the team we have to catch.”

In a sense, today is weigh-in day for the Spurs, a chance to stand back-to-back against the team they've been chasing since June, when Kobe Bryant hoisted the Larry O'Brien Trophy in the middle of Orlando's Amway Arena.

Nearly every move the Spurs have made since tracks against their pursuit of the champs.

They traded for Jefferson, in hopes of adding offensive punch. They signed McDyess and Ratliff, in hopes of giving themselves a fighting chance against the Lakers' supersized frontline. They acquired Bogans, in hopes of making him the Kobe stopper — or, at least, the Kobe slower-downer — Bruce Bowen once was.

“You always look at the best in your league and say, ‘If we're playing them in the playoffs, how do we match up?” Popovich said. “That's where you start.”

The Lakers should provide the Spurs with a formidable litmus test. L.A.'s 29-8 record, though cooled since an 18-3 start, remains tops in the NBA.

Bryant, nursing a fractured index finger on his shooting hand and coming off a 4-for-21 performance against Milwaukee, entered Monday's slate as the NBA's top scorer at 30.1 points per game. Adding to Bryant's air of indestructibility, he has averaged 32.3 in 15 games since the injury.

“They have the whole package,” Manu Ginobili said. “We really want to become that kind of team.”

There is one caveat in the Spurs' quest to test themselves against the defending champs.

Lakers forward Pau Gasol, whose arrival in February 2008 tipped the balance in the Western Conference, is doubtful with a left hamstring strain. This season, the Lakers are 10-5 without him.

Given what the Spurs hope to discover about themselves tonight, they would just as soon Gasol gets off his treadmill and plays.

The Spurs' previous test runs against the NBA's elite, for the most part, have not gone well. They are 3-11 against teams at or above .500 and 19-2 against everybody else. Though a win over L.A. would count just once in the standings, it would carry more significance than a win over, say, New Jersey.

“Confidence-wise, it will help,” Duncan said. “To see things working will help. It's a process. Obviously, it's one every single one of us wants to accelerate as fast as possible, but it takes time.”

Added Popovich: “You want to get to the Finals and play for a championship. We haven't been there the last two years now. It can get frustrating, but if you hurry it or skip steps, you're not going to be there.”

Tonight, the Spurs will find out how many steps they've come since June. And, perhaps, how many more they have to go.

A big night, whether the wait has been eight months or 48 hours.

nbaman99
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
this is the one that turns the season around, book it!

ElNono
01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
I think it's a win-win for Spurstalk regulars... If we win, it will be an out of control orgasm here in the forums. If we lose, it's going to be a meltdown of epic proportions. :lol

slayermin
01-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I don't know what to think of that 19-2 record against sub .500 teams. On one hand, the Spurs can't beat a good team. But on the other hand, they are taking care of business against the scrubs. I think it's good because all regular season games count exactly the same. Why burn yourself out against the good teams when you can pick your battles?

The playoffs are when games appreciate in value anyway.

Solid D
01-12-2010, 01:01 AM
this is the one that turns the season around, book it!

Even if the Spurs beat the Lakers on Tuesday night, the Spurs have to fly to Okla. City after the game and 24 hours later play a team that has won 8 of their last 10 games...a team the Spurs have beaten once in their last 4 meetings.

Now, if the Spurs win Tuesday AND Wednesday, then maybe that will be the pivot point to the season. If the Spurs beat a hurting Lakers team, without Gasol, and then lose @ the Thunder, it probably won't be a season-turner.

mytespurs
01-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I think it's a win-win for Spurstalk regulars... If we win, it will be an out of control orgasm here in the forums. If we lose, it's going to be a meltdown of epic proportions. :lol

agreed!

:king

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm expecting the very likely option of losing both games, Solid D..hopefully they surprise me..

bossplaya
01-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Lakers forward Pau Gasol, whose arrival in February 2008 tipped the balance in the Western Conference, is doubtful with a left hamstring strain. This season, the Lakers are 10-5 without him.

With Gasol out, we really have no excuse for losing this game on our home floor.

It kinda sucks we're not playing them at full strength. I'll be extremely upset if we lose, and even if we win, their really isn't much to take from this game with it only being January and them being banged up.

I'm hoping for the best. :flag:

SenorSpur
01-12-2010, 02:42 AM
3-11 against teams at or above .500 and 19-2 against everybody else? That's not a good sign. That record certainly doesn't inspire optimism about their chances against the biggest dog in the conference. Had they not squandered the lead in the Mavs game, I'd feel a bit better about this game.

Frenzy
01-12-2010, 02:56 AM
When the spurs come ready to play...and I mean "ready" I believe that they can beat any of the over .500 teams.

All in all I hope to see close game against the hated Lakers.

007nites
01-12-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm scared

boutons_deux
01-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Spurs already got shafted with the previous measuring stick.

Lakers have a better win %age w/o Gasol than the Spurs do with everybody. :)

Rebounds
01-12-2010, 06:24 AM
How many other NBA players will be viewing the game just to see the "measuring" going on?

ElNono
01-12-2010, 07:40 AM
With Gasol out, we really have no excuse for losing this game on our home floor.

Sure we do. We're missing Bonner and Finley. Or TPark will think of something. Let's hope we win so we don't have to hear it.

SpurNation
01-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Our bench play will be the measuring stick in this game. As far as the starters go...we can hope that is a wash between both teams.

My concern is the length advantage the Lakers have over the Spurs. Points in the paint could once again be the Spurs weakest link.

Go Spurs...Beat L.A.

ElNono
01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Our bench play will be the measuring stick in this game. As far as the starters go...we can hope that is a wash between both teams.

My concern is the length advantage the Lakers have over the Spurs. Points in the paint could once again be the Spurs weakest link.

Go Spurs...Beat L.A.

Well, Pop said up there that they looked at the Lakers before retooling our roster. Let's see how well they've done trying to match up with them.

phyzik
01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Spurs better pull their collective heads out of their asses and bring their A-game dammit! I'm tired of watching them pussyfoot around against good teams.

SenorSpur
01-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Well, Pop said up there that they looked at the Lakers before retooling our roster. Let's see how well they've done trying to match up with them.

If Pop was truly thinking of the Fakers, when retooling the roster, he should observed the young, athletic, 20-something, center, that helps comprise the Fakers ultra-tall frontline. He should've observed how it's taken about 5 years for this kid to slowly come into his own. And he should've realized that results were not borne overnight. That it was the patience the Fakers exhibited with him and now they're reaping the benefits.

If he were truly "dick-measuring" his roster against the Fakers, he would've realized that he has his own young, athletic, 20-something, diamond of a pivot man. Rather than pushing the guy out the door, he would've been adamant about the overseeing the development of this kid, as a possible answer to the Fakers tall frontline.

urunobili
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
wow SenorSpur going full fledged on a Pro Mahimni rant... you got my full support Ian should be developing to be another young weapon in our team :tu

rascal
01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Not a measuring stick without Gasol playing.

TJastal
01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
wow SenorSpur going full fledged on a Pro Mahimni rant... you got my full support Ian should be developing to be another young weapon in our team :tu

Mahinmi showed he's got some range on his shot too, sinking that 20 footer quite easily. This kid defenitely has some major potential.

wijayas
01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Not a measuring stick without Gasol playing.

I'll take the win anyhow we can.

I-Ball
01-12-2010, 10:31 AM

not so sure if it is a rant pro mahinmi or a rant against popovich.
i sense a lot of frustration within the post.

is it just because of the underperforming of the spurs this season (so far) or a result of the developement of the last two seasons ?(including some decisions by popovich/management which didn't worked out the like hoped., for example trading scola, not playing Hill heavy minutes against the mavs in the play-offs, signing McDyess/ Jefferson etc.)

i know that success makes the coach immortal to critique. and in the past (until 2007) popovich was very successful. but everybody has an expiry date (especially coaches).

i have witnessed this with Avery Johnson. in 2006 he was the perfect fit for the mavs. teaching them the needed defense. but as time went by (and his ego grow) he lost the team. At very end he was the wrong coach for that team.
(this doesn't mean he is a bad coach. he was just not fitting anymore).

thats why i ask you (SenorSpur) straight:
Do you get the feeling popovich isn't the best coach for the spurs (anymore)?

edit: no trashtalking. just curiosity.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Even if the Spurs beat the Lakers on Tuesday night, the Spurs have to fly to Okla. City after the game and 24 hours later play a team that has won 8 of their last 10 games...a team the Spurs have beaten once in their last 4 meetings.

Now, if the Spurs win Tuesday AND Wednesday, then maybe that will be the pivot point to the season. If the Spurs beat a hurting Lakers team, without Gasol, and then lose @ the Thunder, it probably won't be a season-turner.

Losing both would be disasterous, moreso if Gasol is out.

Spurstalk posters would be jumping off very high tables and countertops in an effort to end all the misery.

Spursmania
01-12-2010, 11:02 AM
This should expose all our weaknesses pretty well, including our lack of height and length.

VI_Massive
01-12-2010, 11:08 AM
This should expose all our weaknesses pretty well, including our lack of height and length.

I hope Blair's been watching some Chuck Hayes film to see how to defend the LA bigs as a shorter, thicker guy.

rascal
01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll take the win anyhow we can.

This thread is not about just getting a win. It is about being some sort of test to measure how the spurs matchup with the lakers.

ffadicted
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Oh my god this hype is killing meeeeee