PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite player that your team traded away?

Donkeybong
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Mine has to be eddie jones, it saddened me back when the lakers made the swap with him and elden campbell for glen rice. Rice was good, but coming off an injury. Eddie was the heart of the lakers at the time IMO.

tWx4y9v7urM

mavsfan1000
01-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Nash left so that wasn't a trade. Devin Harris getting traded hurt the most. He was the future but Dallas thought Kidd would make the team instantly better. Didn't quite work that way.

Findog
01-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Dale Ellis, Detlef Schrempf, Jason Kidd

BRHornet45
01-12-2010, 02:30 AM
sons I am shocked that no one has mentioned DOWNTOWN Devin Brown yet. the dude has a NBA championship ring and a D-League MVP trophy sitting in his hotel room in New Orleans right now. I thank God everyday that the Hornets lucked up and landed this guy. most underrated combo guard in the league hands down.

namlook
01-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Nash left so that wasn't a trade. Devin Harris getting traded hurt the most. He was the future but Dallas thought Kidd would make the team instantly better. Didn't quite work that way.

Nash put up gaudy numbers because of the run and gun no defense system the Suns run. He wouldn't have been the same player in Dallas and never would have been considered good enough to win an MVP if he had remained in a more traditional system. Dallas losing Nash seems like a bigger loss than it was.

DAF86
01-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Brent Barry.

5in10
01-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Scola

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 03:08 AM
1. Ice
2. Alvin Robertson
3. Malik Rose

timtonymanu
01-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Scola

but really Malik Rose to NY and Bruce Bowen to Milwaukee.

wanggi
01-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Joe Johnson.

ezau
01-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Scola. Fuck

Ghazi
01-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Damn those dunks are sick!!

Basketballgirl25
01-12-2010, 06:31 AM
I'd say mine was Richard Jefferson. Kidd demanded a trade, so he is way down on my list till he retires. Richard Jeffserson didn't ask to be traded and he was deff a favorite among fans and he seemed to be a player who liked playing in New Jersey lol.

benefactor
01-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Capt. Jack.

He wasn't traded...but they let him go.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Nash put up gaudy numbers because of the run and gun no defense system the Suns run. He wouldn't have been the same player in Dallas and never would have been considered good enough to win an MVP if he had remained in a more traditional system. Dallas losing Nash seems like a bigger loss than it was.

Message to moron - your argument is played out and two years old.

Malik Rose - it was time to move him, but still sad to see him go.

And of course Sean Elliott, although we got him back for nothing (Bill Curley) so it all worked out in the end. :D

Hornets1
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
PJ Brown, just a consummate professional

Chomag
01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I second the Sean Elliott trade, that was a sad day for me to see him go to detroit. Thankfully Spurs got him back in the end.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Jason Kidd. At the time had been on the team and had been the best player on the team ever since I started watching.

Muser
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Bowen.

JamStone
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
At the time, Dennis Rodman.

What made it worse was Sean E11iot sucked as a Piston.

BlackSwordsMan
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
kurt thomas

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Courtney Lee. Made me cry.

The Knicks never had Courtney Lee.

stretch
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM

a true mavs fan would say finley being cut (basically trading for money), well before the harris crap, you fucking idiot

lol bullfan1000

mavsfan1000
01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
a true mavs fan would say finley being cut (basically trading for money), well before the harris crap, you fucking idiot

lol bullfan1000
Well the team got better once Finley left. But I can see why you are so emotionally attached to him as a long time fan. But he was horrible for us the most part of the year before he got traded. It was a great way to save money for better options in the future. Unfortunately, the Harris move wasn't so smart.

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I second the Sean Elliott trade, that was a sad day for me to see him go to detroit. Thankfully Spurs got him back in the end.

If the Spurs never got him back, then the Elliott trade would be #1 on my list. Thankfully the team got him back and it's not.

Summers
01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Malik or Brent.

FkLA
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
http://chaunceybillups.blogspot.com/jackson.jpg

Even if it wasnt a trade...

Losing Malik too, I remember getting teary-eyed when he was crying during his interview with WOAI at his house right after the trade. The man didnt just love the team but he also loved the city.

Derek Anderson after that one great year in 01', although I believe we lost him in a sign and trade deal.

lil_penny
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Jermaine and drazen

IronMexican
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Shaq and Eddie

Lakers999
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
hornets fans im surprised none of you said Kobe Bryant

badfish22
01-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Maybe not instantly better. But it did make them better.

jag
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Malik Rose was hard. Letting Derrick Anderson and Stephen Jackson walk was also pretty hard. Malik was just one of those guys that you wanted to retire as a Spurs player. I could never have imagined him with another team.

JoeTait75
01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Ron Harper by a long shot. And although it doesn't quite fit the topic, leaving Dell Curry unprotected in the '88 expansion draft has always made me feel a little queasy.

Donkeybong
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Ron Harper by a long shot. And although it doesn't quite fit the topic, leaving Dell Curry unprotected in the '88 expansion draft has always made me feel a little queasy.

how did the expansion draft work exactly? ive always wondered.

JoeTait75
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
how did the expansion draft work exactly? ive always wondered.

Pretty sure each team left two players on its active roster unprotected. Not sure if it was the 12-man or expanded rosters.

urunobili
01-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Scola
Jax

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Was Curry on a bad contract or something? That's how the expansion draft has always worked from what I remember.

JoeTait75
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Was Curry on a bad contract or something? That's how the expansion draft has always worked from what I remember.

Curry was just coming off his second year, so it wasn't his contract. Only article I found directly pertaining to that draft said the Cavaliers had to choose between leaving Curry or Craig Ehlo unprotected.

TheSpursFNRule
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Jax. Easiest answer of all time.

mavsfan1000
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Maybe not instantly better. But it did make them better.
It never made them better. They had nowhere to go but down as Harris was doing amazing things for that team with his speed. Kidd couldn't match that intensity that Harris played with. It's physically impossible at Kidd's age.

TheSpursFNRule
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Oh wait. He wasn't traded....

Fpoonsie
01-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Brent Barry.

Malik or Brent.

Yep. I had loved Brent since his Clipper and Sonic days, so when he came to SA, even as less of a high-flier and more of a perimeter player, I creamed my pants.

After always being in the middle of trade rumors that never worked out, I eventually assumed that he'd be here for good. I was pretty devastated that fateful day.

badfish22
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
It never made them better. They had nowhere to go but down as Harris was doing amazing things for that team with his speed. Kidd couldn't match that intensity that Harris played with. It's physically impossible at Kidd's age.

Ok so Kidd isn't as fast.... there are other ways to make a team better.
Harris is hurt again anyways. Like he always is. He is just another Josh Howard.

Here is what a Net fan said earlier in the week on another forum

"Most fans here in NJ shot their load last season when harris did his scoring thing. 99% of my fellows considered him THE franchise player for the last half of the season, other than a few who started to get annoyed by harris' 1v1 tendencies late in the season.

fast forward to this season... now 99% of fans want harris gone. no understanding of what a crappy team he plays for, no compensation for the fact that the nets have shot 27% from three for the season, severely limiting what harris is capable of doing in every possible way as a PG...

just average fans screaming for what they want without any thought of the rebuilding process, which has to happen when you're in our shoes.

so it's just sad, period... not because i like harris (still feels like we won the handkerchief while our buddy stole it right back), but because there's only so much embarrassment that a team can take.

kidd had to leave over age and salary issues, and we certainly got a great deal for him, but at the same time, we got smacked upside the head in that trade.

that is, nobody here fully understood what it meant to lose kidd. the numbers only sometimes showed it, but he was like some weird, indescribable basketball machine, always being in the right place, making the right decision."

So most netfans are bitchin too. It was mostly an even trade. We got the player to make us better now, they got a decent young player and draft picks.

Fpoonsie
01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Ummm...after watching Jax's performance in CHA tonight, I might wanna change my answer...

badfish22
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Ummm...after watching Jax's performance in CHA tonight, I might wanna change my answer...

Good thing we didnt trade Josh Howard for that cancer :bang

SAtown
01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Rodman and Sjax

mavsfan1000
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Ok so Kidd isn't as fast.... there are other ways to make a team better.
Harris is hurt again anyways. Like he always is. He is just another Josh Howard.

Here is what a Net fan said earlier in the week on another forum

"Most fans here in NJ shot their load last season when harris did his scoring thing. 99% of my fellows considered him THE franchise player for the last half of the season, other than a few who started to get annoyed by harris' 1v1 tendencies late in the season.

fast forward to this season... now 99% of fans want harris gone. no understanding of what a crappy team he plays for, no compensation for the fact that the nets have shot 27% from three for the season, severely limiting what harris is capable of doing in every possible way as a PG...

just average fans screaming for what they want without any thought of the rebuilding process, which has to happen when you're in our shoes.

so it's just sad, period... not because i like harris (still feels like we won the handkerchief while our buddy stole it right back), but because there's only so much embarrassment that a team can take.

kidd had to leave over age and salary issues, and we certainly got a great deal for him, but at the same time, we got smacked upside the head in that trade.

that is, nobody here fully understood what it meant to lose kidd. the numbers only sometimes showed it, but he was like some weird, indescribable basketball machine, always being in the right place, making the right decision."

So most netfans are bitchin too. It was mostly an even trade. We got the player to make us better now, they got a decent young player and draft picks.
Yes Harris is out of shape (for him). He obviously wants to be traded. What inspired him last season was to show the mavs what mistake they made. This year his inspiration is to get traded. Some players dog it when they are on a bad team. I'm pretty sure that would not be a problem if he gets on a good team again. Injuries will always be a concern but the risk is worth it imo. Especially when you have no chance of winning with the alternative (Kidd). We were 2 games from winning it with Harris and 11 games from winning with Kidd. Yes Howard has gotten softer but wasn't Kidd supposed to make everyone better? Dampier seems to be the only one who's gotten better and part of that is contract year as well. Marion is not as effective as in years past.

stretch
01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
shut the fuck up

mavsfan1000
01-13-2010, 12:29 AM
shut the fuck up
Well thought out post there. When you have no reasons for your biased argument you resort to posts like these.

JMarkJohns
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Jason Kidd. At the time had been on the team and had been the best player on the team ever since I started watching.

My selection brought in the player you chose above...

Michael Finley

I also hated with Jeff Hornacek was traded away, same with Dan Majerle, but neither were in the class of Finley.

I still remember watching the game when the very average Suns defeated the 95-96 Bulls in Finley's rookie season. Finley, a Chicago kid, worshiped Jordan, and that night had the game of his life defensively on Jordan, holding MJ to just 28 points on 9-22 shooting, while scoring 14 points himself. After fouling out late in the game, Jordan walked up to Finley, pulled Finley's head towards his and whispered something in Finley's ear.

The phrase uttered referenced back to a time when Finley was a high schooler in Chicago and was attending a Jordan Camp. He was the standout and Finley said Jordan told him, "See ya in the NBA one day" (or something like that).

On the night when Finley played MJ as good as one could, MJ told Finley, "Told ya!"

Or so said Finley, beaming, postgame.

mavsfan1000
01-13-2010, 02:09 AM
My selection brought in the player you chose above...

Michael Finley

I also hated with Jeff Hornacek was traded away, same with Dan Majerle, but neither were in the class of Finley.

I still remember watching the game when the very average Suns defeated the 95-96 Bulls in Finley's rookie season. Finley, a Chicago kid, worshiped Jordan, and that night had the game of his life defensively on Jordan, holding MJ to just 28 points on 9-22 shooting, while scoring 14 points himself. After fouling out late in the game, Jordan walked up to Finley, pulled Finley's head towards his and whispered something in Finley's ear.

The phrase uttered referenced back to a time when Finley was a high schooler in Chicago and was attending a Jordan Camp. He was the standout and Finley said Jordan told him, "See ya in the NBA one day" (or something like that).

On the night when Finley played MJ as good as one could, MJ told Finley, "Told ya!"

Or so said Finley, beaming, postgame.
I wish that was the Finley Dallas got when they were in the hunt for a championship. The athletic, defensive stopper Finley. He broke down too early imo. Maybe injuries were the problem. Also playing really heavy minutes most his career did it as well. But interesting story there. Jordan had a way of inspiring others.

duhoh
01-13-2010, 04:40 AM
The Knicks never had Courtney Lee.

he must be an orlando fan troll then :lol

hsxvvd
01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Felipe Lopez.

I loved the guy in college and was estatic that we drafted him, only to have him packaged away for Antonio Daniels.

Turned out to be a great trade for us, Lopez was a flop, but he was my favourite college player at the time.

Being a Duke fan, Chris Carrawell was a similar story, (although he was cut, not traded). Likewise on the flops. Good thing I ain't a scout for the Spurs.