PDA

View Full Version : Disneyworld advice!

TheMACHINE
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi Guys,

Im planning a vacation to Disneyworld with my 2 kids, my wife and mother in law. For you guys who went, just wondering which resort you guys stayed at and how was your experience. Did you get the dining plans etc? Also, is the park hopper needed or did you guys just stay at one park per day.

Thanks!

CubanMustGo
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I found "the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld" (a book) to answer all kinds of questions like these; it really helped us out. They have a companion website, http://www.touringplans.com/ , that can help put together a plan on how to visit the parks. It may seem anal to have a plan, but during peak seasons, a plan can be a huge help and limit the time you waste in lines.

mrsmaalox
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
How old are your kids? Under 8 years old and you'll be working your butt off for every little bit of fun you have. :)

Heath Ledger
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Prepare to have your wallet thoroughly raped. You will leave with a new understanding of corporate greed.

Das Texan
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
how long.

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I have been twice when I was a kid. The first time I stayed at the Treehouse Villas, which were the coolest place I had ever stayed at that age (I was about 5 or 6).

http://z.about.com/d/hotels/1/7/r/U/2/exterior.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/hotels/1/7/m/U/2/outside_steps.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/hotels/1/7/o/U/2/terrace_view.jpg

I have no idea what they cost (I'm guessing a lot), but they were a lot of fun to stay at. The other time I went was in my teen years, and we stayed at the Disney Inn. It was cool because the restaurant in it was awesome (I couldn't believe there was such a thing as fried ice cream on the menu, and it was outstanding there). Plus, it is on a PGA tour golf course and all guests got free rounds. Unfortunately, the hotel isn't open to the public anymore, as it's now a retreat for people in the military.

The second time I went we took my grandmother, so we got to skip to the front of EVERY line!!!

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Guys,

Im planning a vacation to Disneyworld with my 2 kids, my wife and mother in law. For you guys who went, just wondering which resort you guys stayed at and how was your experience. Did you get the dining plans etc? Also, is the park hopper needed or did you guys just stay at one park per day.

Thanks!

As for the Park Hopper option, it might make sense if you're going to the smaller parks like the waterpark or the wildlife park, but we spent most of our time at the three major ones (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM Studios), which are all large enough to spend an entire day at.

Heath Ledger
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
You can rent parkhopper passes much cheaper just google park hopper rentals Disney world

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
There's an actual human being inside those Mickey Mouse costumes, so if you'll be charged with murder and not animal cruelty if you beat one to death with a stick.

Frenzy
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Prepare to have your wallet thoroughly raped. You will leave with a new understanding of corporate greed.

Nickel and dime or milking?

Heath Ledger
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Watch out for goofy he touched my fiances err ex-fiances tits. Then he did his gay little chuckle. Later at the hotel I said " bitch your fucking goofy"

Heath Ledger
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Both milking and nickle and dimes. How does $3.50 sound for a dill pickle?

TheMACHINE
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
We're gonna stay for 7 days but i really want to just spend one whole day at each of the 4 main parks. So i guess Park Hopper is useless to me. Im planning on staying at one of the moderate level resorts...maybe the Caribean one. Did you guys end up renting a car or is that pointless too?

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
We're gonna stay for 7 days but i really want to just spend one whole day at each of the 4 main parks. So i guess Park Hopper is useless to me. Im planning on staying at one of the moderate level resorts...maybe the Caribean one. Did you guys end up renting a car or is that pointless too?

We just took the busses and the monorail when we went, even though we drove down and thus had a car available at all times. I don't recall ever having to wait very long to catch either. Then again, the last time I went was more than 15 years ago.

Ballcox
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Me and the wife took our 3 kids a few years back, it was a crap load of work but very fun to see the enjoyment they got out of it.

I would definitely say no to the parkhopper pass, if you go to the big parks (Disneyworld, mgm, nature/outdoor park), you'll easily spend all day and night trying to see all areas of each park. We were there for a week and spent a full day at 4 different parks (although Epcot center wasn't as fun for young kids). That also gave us a few down time days where we could relax at the pool and recharge the batteries.

Oh yeah, remember to get there early and get your fast passes. If you time it right you can fast pass to the big attraction rides like Space Mountain, Log Ride, etc.

MoSpur
01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I just went in August. Tip #1. Don't go in the Summer. Its humid as heck and rains like everyday. No joke. Try to go in early Spring or in the Fall.
Tip #2. Park Hopper aren't really needed. You can spend a whole day at each of the four major parks.
Tip #3. Try to get as many of the Fast Passes as you can. They push you to the front of the line on certain rides.
Tip #4. Take your ice chest into the parks. They allow you to take a small ice chest with food and drinks. You'll save a lot of money.
Tip #5. You don't have to pay for parking. You can park at the Wide World of Sports Complex and catch a ride to the parks on a bus. You will save about $12.
Tip #6. There is a Walmart near by that has a section of Disney suveniors for half the price. Your kids may not know the difference. I bought my son the Mickey Ears with his name on them and it was close to like $20.

I'll let you know more if I think of them. I stayed in condo complex about 10 minutes away. It was a two-story condo with four bedrooms. Two of them were like master bedrooms with their own bathroom. It had a resort style pool with slides and a lazy river. It was a lot cheaper than staying in those resorts at Disney.

Taco
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Disney World Rocks!!!

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Disney World Rocks!!!

Yeah, Disney World is amazing for kids, and surprisingly fun once you have grown up too.