PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Two Years Later, Gasol Trade Continues to Shape NBA, Spurs

Blackjack
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Two Years Later, Gasol Trade Continues to Shape NBA, Spurs
by Jesse Blanchard

Tonight when the Spurs and Lakers renew their decade long rivalry, the defending champions will likely be without the services of their star center/power forward. But even as the Lakers are expected to miss Pau Gasol for a fifth straight game (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/11/lakers-head-to-texas-ready-or-not/28273/?) since suffering a hamstring injury, his impact still reverberates through both franchises.

When the trade was first reported nearly two years ago, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sarcastically–and famously–questioned Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace, calling for sweeping changes in the NBA.

“What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension,” Popovich told SI.com then. “There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I would have voted no to the LA trade.”

While the Laker’s fleecing of Gasol from Memphis created no such committee or rule changes, the move has, and continues to, shape the way the league and its teams operate.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/12/two-years-later-gasol-trade-continues-to-shape-nba-spurs-2/)

Sportcamper
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
With the other Gasol playing so well & Pau being injured you have to wonder if the Lakers got a raw deal...

hater
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
With the other Gasol playing so well & Pau being injured you have to wonder if the Lakers got a raw deal...

:lmao :lmao :lmao

keep it coming

jrmp317

:lol no

Muser

You got to the Finals and then won a title in the two years he's been in L.A, you don't do that with Marc.

phyzik
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I love how Laker fans justify that trade by saying how good Marc is playing now, completely ignoring the fact that no one actually knew that he would pan out to begin with.

Spursmania
01-12-2010, 12:53 PM

You cannot be serious.:lmao:lmao

Sportcamper
01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Look at the bigger picture...The Lakers gave up Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the draft rights to Marc Gasol and first round picks in 2008 and 2010…With Pau being injured all the time I have to wonder if the Lakers really did get taken to the cleaners on this deal…

boutons_deux
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
yeah, legendary Laker HoFer Jerry West screwed the Lakers over thoroughly.

timvp
I think the Lakers also came out on the short end in the Kobe trade. Last I heard Vlade Divac was still averaging a double-double in a Serbian league.

hater
Look at the bigger picture...The Lakers gave up Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the draft rights to Marc Gasol and first round picks in 2008 and 2010…With Pau being injured all the time I have to wonder if the Lakers really did get taken to the cleaners on this deal…

do the words most lopsided trade in sports history have any meaning to you????

urunobili

lol Marc would have probably stayed in Spain because he had Bynum in front of him or they simply would have shipped Bynum for D-12 or something

lol Asterisk
lol Gasol the true MVP

:lol

Sportcamper
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
It was not a lopsided trade…It had good points for both sides…Just saying that maybe Memphis got a better deal than everyone originally thought…Two first round picks, salary cap relief , unloading an older injury prone player “Pau”, for a younger & perhaps better player in “Marc”…

ffadicted
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM

fail troll attempt is fail

DazedAndConfused
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Memphis is in a better place now than they were before they traded Gasol, same with the Lakers. This trade worked out well for both teams.

Apparently some of you nimrods don't understand the financial aspect of the NBA. It made no sense for Memphis to pay Gasol $17 million a season when it was obvious he could not deliver as the face of the franchise. They went out and got the biggest expiring K they could in Kwame Brown and freed up a ton of capspace. They were also able to net a good young center in Marc Gasol.

All in all the trade is turning out to be not nearly as lopsided as the crybabies claimed it was at the time. Was it the best deal Memphis could have gotten...probably not. But they are definitely better off now having made the trade. They will be one of the better up and coming young teams in the next few years.

Mal
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Apparently some of you nimrods don't understand the financial aspect of the NBA. It made no sense for Memphis to pay Gasol $17 million a season when it was obvious he could not deliver as the face of the franchise. They went out and got the biggest expiring K they could in Kwame Brown and freed up a ton of capspace. They were also able to net a good young center in Marc Gasol.

And now they are paying this $17M to Zach Randolph. Obviously Zach > Pau

K-State Spur
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
It was not a lopsided trade…It had good points for both sides…Just saying that maybe Memphis got a better deal than everyone originally thought…Two first round picks, salary cap relief , unloading an older injury prone player “Pau”, for a younger & perhaps better player in “Marc”…

The salary cap relief was the only aspect that made any sense for the Grizz, and then they proved that the didn't care about cap space by taking on Randolph's deal.

There is no doubt that they got a nice big fat check from Buss under the table in exchange for Gasol.

Spursmania
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
The salary cap relief was the only aspect that made any sense for the Grizz, and then they proved that the didn't care about cap space by taking on Randolph's deal.

There is no doubt that they got a nice big fat check from Buss under the table in exchange for Gasol.

Hell yeah. This deal wasn't even made available to any other teams.

EricB
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Memphis is in a better place now than they were before they traded Gasol, same with the Lakers. This trade worked out well for both teams.

All in all the trade is turning out to be not nearly as lopsided as the crybabies claimed it was at the time. Was it the best deal Memphis could have gotten...probably not. But they are definitely better off now having made the trade. They will be one of the better up and coming young teams in the next few years.

Continues to live up to his screen name.

ShoogarBear
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/04/18/jerry_west_2.jpg

benefactor
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

rascal
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Get real. The Lakers were not even contenders without that trade.

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't really get mad over this anymore..complaining won't get us anywhere..when you watch the NBA and you're a die-hard fan, you just have to accept that the Lakers are always going to get breaks over every other team..they make the most $ for the NBA, they always have the superstar players, you just have to deal with it at this point..

01-12-2010, 03:31 PM
pau gasol has been an all star and will probably continue to be an all star for the next 3-4 years. marc gasol will be lucky to even get 2-3 all star appearances.

DazedAndConfused
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Did it make sense for Memphis to keep Gasol as the face of the frachise?

No.

Did it make sense to try and trade Pau for equal value?

Yes.

Could Memphis have gotten anything close to equal value for Pau?

No.

Wouldn't the next logical move be to clear capspace and acquire as many draft picks as possible?

Yes.

Did Memphis satisfy their desire to clear capspace and load up on draft picks?

Yes.

Are Spur fans little faggot whiny bitches who just can't let shit go even when they are dead wrong?

Fuck yes.

temujin
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Howard for Mahinmi and a first pick in 2013, straight up.
Well let's throw in Finley, for good measure.

Mahinmi has a great future and Finley is a proven veteran with 3/4 years left.
Howard can't shoot free throws.
Orlando dumps a big salary, what the heck.

See what the Lakers posters will say.

temujin
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't really get mad over this anymore..complaining won't get us anywhere..when you watch the NBA and you're a die-hard fan, you just have to accept that the Lakers are always going to get breaks over every other team..they make the most $ for the NBA, they always have the superstar players, you just have to deal with it at this point..

Not this year.

The wheel is turning.

They won't get Joey Crawford on a Game 2 of a series when they lost Game 1 at home.

Book it.

DazedAndConfused
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Stupid argument.

D12 is worth every penny. They made it all the way to the Finals last season and have a great chance of doing so again this year. No reason why they would want to dump him.

DazedAndConfused
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
The Spurs never lost to the Lakers because of any ref calls.

They lost because they were the INFERIOR team.

Get over it.

urunobili
01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
The Spurs never lost to the Lakers because of any ref calls.

They lost because they were the INFERIOR team.

Get over it.

lol 0.4

SenorSpur
01-13-2010, 12:00 AM
If Pop still harbors bitterness over this trade, instead of bitching about it, perhaps he should have elected to counter this move by developing and incorporating the athletic big man (Ian Mahinmi) that he has occupying the 15th spot on the roster.

ajballer4
01-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Soooo the suckiest 1st pick of all time, an alleged gun-man, a retired guy (i think), the 2008 pick was donte greene who plays in SAC, and then finally a young talent. Baically gasol for better gasol (the all star). Real fair. Marc is the only one in that deal on the team

mytespurs
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM

I assume you're pull our legs but I'll play along for a sec.....what is this about Pau being injured all the time.......??!! As far as I know, this is the first time he's been out since he's become a laker. Was he injury prone as a Grizzly??

draft87
01-13-2010, 12:47 AM

give a kid a cookie he cries for a glass of milk......what-the-fuuuuuuck

Jason R
01-13-2010, 01:00 AM

No.

Yes.

No.

Wouldn't the next logical move be to clear capspace and acquire as many draft picks as possible?

Yes.

Yes.

Are Spur fans little faggot whiny bitches who just can't let shit go even when they are dead wrong?

Fuck yes.

And this is what you call an internet tough guy.

iggypop123
01-13-2010, 01:02 AM
America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

K-State Spur
01-13-2010, 07:51 AM

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Fuck yes.

Some of that makes sense...until you recognize that the Grizz took on ZACH RANDOLPH's contract. A team that cares about cap space sure as hell doesn't do that.

Something shady took place and the Lakers benefited from it. At this point, so be it. It is what it is. Nobody is going to storm the Staples Center and take away a nice little trophy for you to look at. But something shady took place nonetheless.

TinTin
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM
And now they are paying this $17M to Zach Randolph. Obviously Zach > Pau

LMAO:lol

Agloco
01-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Quite possibly the dumbest post ever. Period.

jb4g
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM

survey says: fail

Agloco
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Two words: Zach Randolph

hsxvvd
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Let's take a look at the trade as it stand today.

Lakers have a 17p, 12r, 2b, 29yr old, 7'0" Olympic and NBA champion on their roster and a high 2nd rounder for next year.

Kwame Brown signed as a free agent to Detroit. The 08 pick was Donte Green who was traded for Darrell Arthur who is sitting on the injured list. Jarvaris Crittenton was traded to Washington to have guns pulled in his face for a conditional future 1st rounder.

So... Grizzlies have Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur and 2 late 1st rounders to come.

Now ask yourself the question would you trade Pau for the above? I think not.