PDA

View Full Version : From the Stands at the Rose Bowl

FoxPerez
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ylblpk3

With three minutes left in the national championship game, Texas had the ball with a chance to tie or even take the lead despite losing their starting quarterback, who had been their team MVP for the last four years, in the first series of the game.

All I could think was, "How did we get here?"...

The biggest winner of the game for Texas was Garrett Gilbert... We saw him grow up before our very eyes. And when he's taking snaps next year at Texas Tech, in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma, and at Nebraska next year, he won't be shaken or overwhelmed. He's going to be the most dangerous first-year starter in the NCAA next year because all he's going to be thinking about is how he got a taste of the national championship game and wants to get back.

Read the full story (WITH PICTURES!) here: http://tinyurl.com/ylblpk3 (http://tinyurl.com/ylblpk3)

tlongII
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Texas got lucky that Bama didn't know what to do on kickoff returns. That's the only reason it seemed close.

DarkReign
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Texas got lucky that Bama didn't know what to do on kickoff returns. That's the only reason it seemed close.

True, it had nothing to do with a redshirt freshmen in at QB facing the nation's top defense...at all.

DarkReign
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
A defense that has a potential 3 1st round picks in it.

Jamtas#2
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
True, it had nothing to do with a redshirt freshmen in at QB facing the nation's top defense...at all.

True Freshman actually
Unbelievable he was able to do what he did to get in that position. Definately a bright spot to take away form that ugly situation.

TFloss32
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Texas got 3 points from that swivel kick that bounced off of Bama's player. Nothing else affected the game that was special teams related.

Seemed close? It was close. Nick Saban could have easily taken a knee after they intercepted Gilbert's pass at the end of the game, but he needed to make the score look a little better in order to cloud the fact that he coached a poor game and a true freshman from Texas nearly stole his title.

FoxPerez
01-13-2010, 02:01 AM
Texas got 3 points from that swivel kick that bounced off of Bama's player. Nothing else affected the game that was special teams related.

Seemed close? It was close. Nick Saban could have easily taken a knee after they intercepted Gilbert's pass at the end of the game, but he needed to make the score look a little better in order to cloud the fact that he coached a poor game and a true freshman from Texas nearly stole his title.

I talk about this in the article: "In the instant karma department, Alabama ran for another touchdown after getting another interception to really clinch the game. It was a low-class move by a me-first coach. Just seconds after that touchdown, two Alabama players poured Gatorade on Nick Saban but hit him pretty hard on the side of his head with the cooler. Right after that, they missed the extra point. Something tells me that sequence of events was no coincidence."

The Reckoning
01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
ehh gilbert's play was alright. his deep passes had a LOT of shotput to them. he'll be an awesome qb in a couple of years, but the person who carried the offense on his shoulders the entire second half was shipley. he deserves more credit than gilbert.

by the way, i watched the game in a ski lounge with a bunch of SEC-team fans (arkansas, lsu, etc.) and they were all pulling for alabama. none of them were vocal or even having fun. they just sat there and stared like nazi assholes.

what the hell? when ou was in the title, i loved every second of seeing them chodebloaded. what happened with wanting your conference teams to LOSE because of rivalry and regional recruiting?

DarkReign
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
what the hell? when ou was in the title, i loved every second of seeing them chodebloaded. what happened with wanting your conference teams to LOSE because of rivalry and regional recruiting?

One caveat though.

If youre a fan of the B10, you hope every team in a bowl wins that isnt named OSU.

Because it doesnt happen often anymore and some of us are tired of being laughed at. Thank you Iowa!