PDA

View Full Version : Healthy snacks?

Ballcox
01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm doing the whole new year's resolution thing and trying to shed some lbs. My main problem is that I love to snack on crappy/unhealthy food like chips, cheezit's, etc.

Just curious to see what some of you guys who have been successful in losing weight go to for snack food. I think if I could just find some healthy snack food to fill in gaps between healthy meals I would be much more successful in losing weight. And yes, I'm exercising every day.

ashbeeigh
01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Stuff with lots of fiber should fill you up (in more ways than one).

Get some peanuts and sunflower seeds (but not the coated and super flavored one).

And finish it off with a glass of water because sometimes water can be the source of hunger, lots of people are dehydrated as opposed to hungry.

baseline bum
01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Snacking and losing weight are completely incompatible in my experience. About the only time I ever find snack food useful is when I go on a hike longer than 10 miles, because they're usually pretty high in carbs and thus can give you an energy boost when you really need it after gaining altitude.

leemajors
01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Apples. and Deez Nutz

Fat boy
01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Raisins................chocolate covered.

Summers
01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
A handful of roasted almonds with a wedge of laughing cow cheese is very filling and yummy. A few strawberries and a spoonful of Nutella. An apple and peanut butter. A yogurt with blueberries and grapenuts. In a pinch, grab some lunch meat and cheese out of the fridge.

One of the hardest parts of losing weight is being disciplined about how much you eat, not just what you eat. Eating healthy is good for you, but it all comes down to calories in minus calories out.

Heath Ledger
01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
f you have enough protein in your diet you will seldom feel the need to snack as protein is filling. Start the morning off with egg whites and a piece of toast.

2 hours or so later have a banana or an apple.

2 hours later have a turkey sandwich with another apple or banana.

If you need a snack before dinner have a yogurt or handful of almonds/cashews.

For dinner have a chickent breast with a salad or steamed brocoli. If hungry before bed have a yogurt(light yogurt only 80 calories).

If you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day this also helps with hunger/munchies.

CuckingFunt
01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
A handful of roasted almonds with a wedge of laughing cow cheese is very filling and yummy. A few strawberries and a spoonful of Nutella. An apple and peanut butter. A yogurt with blueberries and grapenuts. In a pinch, grab some lunch meat and cheese out of the fridge.

These are all good suggestions. And nummy (especially the strawberries and Nutella). Hard to go wrong if you keep lots of fruit and veggies around and ready to snack on.

Also, you'd probably be surprised to learn how much of your snacking is a result of restlessness or boredom rather than actual hunger. Start chewing sugar free gum and you'll almost certainly run to the snack foods less often.

balli
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I try to eat like a champ and what I've found is that the more veggies I eat, the more I enjoy them. If you aren't accustomed to it, broccoli can be gross, after eating it a lot, I look forward to it more. Cherry tomatoes are good to keep on hand. Asparagus baked in olive oil, salt and pepper is easy, salty, semi-crunchy and nutritious. A good replacement for the salty junk foods you're probably trying to cut out.

Fruit is the shit. Go get a whole pineapple, slice that bitch up, and tell me it's not better than some fatty ass or corn syrup laden candy product.

Popcorn without butter won't hurt you much. pb&j's on wheat- good as hell :tu

Rice and vegetables are good. You can pick up a good rice/veggie steamer for cheap and that shit makes it easy.

As a general rule, eating healthy requires more effort than say, routinely popping burritos in the microwave, but not substantially more and once you're in a groove with it, healthy food begins to look more appetizing than all the shit that we generally think of as pleasurable to eat. Good luck.

ploto
01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Snacking and losing weight are completely incompatible in my experience.
I agree. My best experience has always been to eat fewer times per day. Sit down and eat a reasonable lunch and don't eat again until dinner. Let your body fill up and have time really to feel hungry before you eat again.

CuckingFunt
01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
As a general rule, eating healthy requires more effort than say, routinely popping burritos in the microwave, but not substantially more and once you're in a groove with it, healthy food begins to look more appetizing than all the shit that we generally think of as pleasurable to eat. Good luck.

There are shortcuts around the effort, too. I usually cook every night when I'm on break because I enjoy it, but when school is in session I have lots of little tricks to make sure that my tiredness/laziness doesn't turn into bad eating habits.

For instance, when I go shopping on the weekends I'll buy a ton of fresh veggies and cook/prepare them all in one shot on Sunday night -- cut the carrots into carrot sticks, steam the green beans, broccoli, asparagus, whatever -- so that all week long I've got fresh veggies at the ready in my fridge but I don't have to deal with washing the steamer every night.

CuckingFunt
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I agree. My best experience has always been to eat fewer times per day. Sit down and eat a reasonable lunch and don't eat again until dinner. Let your body fill up and have time really to feel hungry before you eat again.

It's good advice to eat only when you're hungry, but whether or not that follows a three meals per day schedule is going to depend on the person. My metabolism is way too fast for that. If I tried to go from dinner to lunch without eating, I would gorge myself with that last meal.

katyon6th
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Some of my favorite healthy snacks are: apples with pb, baby carrots with hummus, kashi honey almond flax cereal minus the milk (it's like granola but better), lf vanilla yogurt with sliced banana in it and beef jerky.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
f you have enough protein in your diet you will seldom feel the need to snack as protein is filling. Start the morning off with egg whites and a piece of toast.

2 hours or so later have a banana or an apple.

2 hours later have a turkey sandwich with another apple or banana.

If you need a snack before dinner have a yogurt or handful of almonds/cashews.

For dinner have a chickent breast with a salad or steamed brocoli. If hungry before bed have a yogurt(light yogurt only 80 calories).

If you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day this also helps with hunger/munchies.

I would watch the yogurt before bed it is loaded with sugar yep that turns to carbs.

tlongII
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Carrots and celery.

Boris
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Grapes, oranges, bananas, kiwi, cantaloupes, cucumbers, carrots,

Heath Ledger
01-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I would watch the yogurt before bed it is loaded with sugar yep that turns to carbs.

I did say light yougurt its only 80 calories and has little sugar. And there are studies suggesting one or two servings per day of yogurt may help with losing weight.

robino2001
01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Fruit is the shit. Go get a whole pineapple, slice that bitch up, and tell me it's not better than some fatty ass or corn syrup laden candy product.

Popcorn without butter won't hurt you much. pb&j's on wheat- good as hell :tu

I lost tons and tons of weight in the last almost 2 years now... and my big things have been fruit and, every now and then, the semi-healthy popcorn (orville redenbacher smartpop). I snack on strawberries and pineapple mostly. I try to keep a freshly cut pineapple in the fridge at all times - mainly for those "I just got home from work but won't be eating dinner for 2 hours" munchies.

mardigan
01-12-2010, 10:57 PM
String cheese (the mozzarella kind) are a great, low calorie, low carb snack.

SanAntonioSpurs23
01-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Try Crisps..... Dried REAL Fruit only 45 calories and 6 grams of sugar a bag.

http://i48.tinypic.com/11ce4y0.jpg

lefty
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
- apple + (1 tbsp 100% natural PB or almonds)
- 1 Light Babybel
- protein shake

Tony Sinclair
01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I enjoy a nice eggplant and arugula sandwich with chick-pea spread.

balli
01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
The Tony that this thread needs goes by last name Perkis.

oh crap
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Why am I not surprised this page didn't get over a page in reponses? This is a San Antonio forum, wrong board dude. For a stronger response next time, start a thread about Bill Millers or something.

Bukefal
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Carrots are a good snack, plus good for your eyes also.

Ballcox
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
^some great ideas and suggestions, many that I hadn't considered. Much thanks for all the information, going to now try and put into practice on a daily basis.

florige
01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
^some great ideas and suggestions, many that I hadn't considered. Much thanks for all the information, going to now try and put into practice on a daily basis.

And PS, don't try and cut out bad snacks right away. Just gradually cut them out. Trying to cut that stuff out completely cold turkey is usually a recipe for failure. For alot of people anyway.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Fruits, veggies, nuts, water. <--- Chopper's snack foods of choice.

I take a Myoplex shake every morning and it really helps set the tone for my day. I find I have a lot less cravings and stay more focused than when I skip my Myoplex.

easjer
01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Sometimes substituting the sensation is more important than substituting the food. Like, if you are really craving salty, strawberries won't cut it. But a handful of roasted peanuts might. If you are wanting crunchy, popcorn over chips might help, but celery could work just as well.

One thing you need to figure out is if you are hungry or thirsty. Then if you are hungry or bored/restless or eating emotionally for some other reason. Then what you are really craving. Satisfaction? A particular type of food (protein, veggie, dairy)? A particular sensation or taste? And have several options available to you.

And for me, eating some of what I wanted, but sticking to low portions helped a lot. But I find that if I eat healthy for a couple of weeks, I'm far less inclined to crave the junk. So if you can avoid it, do.

InRareForm
11-02-2016, 05:59 PM
hummus with veggies

InRareForm
11-02-2016, 06:00 PM
https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/87/11/13/3/wonderful-sweet-chili-pistachios-7-oz_687213.jpg

apalisoc_9
11-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Dont knpw if healthy, but I love buying fresh potatoes and baking them instead of deep frying.

For some reason, it taste so much better...it just takes forever to prepare.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-02-2016, 07:09 PM
BBQ chicharrones

SpursforSix
11-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Doritos Salsa Verde

MI21
11-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Dont knpw if healthy, but I love buying fresh potatoes and baking them instead of deep frying.

For some reason, it taste so much better...it just takes forever to prepare.

Potatoes aren't amazing for you, but agreed, baked potatoes with a bit of olive oil, some rock salt and some dill leaf tips or rosemary is good shit.

BD24
11-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Avante told me that sucking black dick did wonders for him. Part of his workout routine.

Wild Cobra
11-02-2016, 10:47 PM
How about these:

https://naturesbakery.com/snack-products