PDA

View Full Version : Landry is now a Marked Man

Indazone
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Landry is being groomed by Adleman to become the All-Star that T-Mac never could be. He takes it strong to the hoop and dunks the ball. He's got a sweet 18 footer and he's going to be shooting from three point territory soon as he extends his range out. If there was one guy on the team that I think Adleman/Morey are extremely high on and will make untouchable it's Landry. Yao is untouchable because of his size and huge popularity and when healthy he's a tremendous offensive force. But Landry...this dude is going to put up astronomical numbers as his career advances.

Rockets' Landry has become a marked man
Teams scheme to keep forward from hurting them offensively
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Jan. 11, 2010, 11:22PM

Smiley N. Pool Chronicle
Rockets forward Carl Landry knows that with all the defensive attention he's getting, he's got to find open teammates.

From the moment the ball reached Carl Landry's grasp, the Knicks came charging from every angle. They swarmed him , determined to keep him from taking over Saturday night's game.

This was not, however, the inside family-secret type of information Knicks rookie Marcus Landry promised to use against his older brother
It was the same strategy Landry has seen for weeks since he became the Rockets' go-to scorer in the fourth quarter and most reliable offensive force. It also is a technique he expects to see often, especially tonight at Charlotte, N.C., against the Bobcats, the team that signed him to the three-year, $9 million offer sheet that was matched by the Rockets before last season.

More work to do

The trick now for Landry is to beat those defenses as well as those he conquered to inspire the change.

“I just have to keep working,” Landry said Monday. “Today after practice, I worked on passing out of the double team. That's just something I have to get used to, when the double team comes, I have to be able to find the right guy in the right position, just like my teammates find me in the right position.
“It just means I'm doing something right. Before, I felt like if it was any one guy, they couldn't guard me one-on-one. Now, it's not about me scoring; it's about the guy on my team who has the best position to score. If that's not me due to a double team, I just have to find the right guy.”

The Rockets had been working to create more opportunities off the attention Landry has been drawing . But as much as they want Landry to find open teammates, they have emphasized movement to get teammates open.
“They're digging down on him, they're doubling him,” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “If he gets it, they're not going to leave. We have to do a better job with clearing space and he has to recognize it. We have to cut through and clear the area and if they (opposing defenses) hang in there, he has to find people. It's something he's going to have to learn.

“The key is, if he's got some room and there's not two guys in his area, then attack. If there's two guys in his area, he's got to learn how to draw that guy and then find somebody for an offensive shot. You have to read what the defense is doing. Guys can score, but the really effective offensive players are not only scorers but they're playmakers.”

Milestone year so far

Landry's evolution began last month. With four 20-point games in his first two seasons, Landry already has topped 20 points 14 times this season, including a career-high 31 at Phoenix last week .

“Teams have to prepare for Carl,” Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma said. “Early in the year when Carl went in the game, there was a defensive substitution for the other team based on a one-on-one situation. But now as we've gone on, we see different types of double teams.

“The key for Carl is we have to have some people around to hit some 3-pointers to keep the floor spaced. Any time teams are packing the paint or trying to help out to stop somebody, we're going to have to find other ways to make them pay for that, such as a kick-out 3-point shot.

“It's not so much getting him the ball as his work will be how to recognize when it's coming, deal with and be effective out of double teams.”
With that in mind, Landry said he will be studying video to look for opportunities to attack the defenses he has been seeing. A year ago, he often watched the Bobcats, thinking about how his career would have been if the Rockets had not matched the Bobcats' offer . This season, he said he will study the Bobcats “just like all other teams.”

That likely will mean he will check out the defenses designed to stop him.
“A lot has changed since the beginning of the year,” the third-year forward from Purdue said. “You know, this is the first time teams have ever guarded me like this since college.

“It's something new to me, something I'm not used to, something I haven't seen before and something I have to continue to learn.”
It's something that's a long way from the Landry family one-on-ones, no matter what secrets Marcus Landry might have to share.
[email protected]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6810496.html

exstatic
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I like Landry, but he's not an All Star caliber player. Very nice player, just not an AS.

Indazone
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Not yet..give him starter minutes and see what he's able to do.

djohn2oo8
01-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Most Improved Player for sure if he keeps doing what he is doing

Andrew Bynum
01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
No All Star hype for Trevor "37%" Ariza? :lmao

namlook
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Landry is a solid player but he just doesn't have the talent to be a star on a great team. He's capable of being a star on a bad team though.

iggypop123
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
just in time for a contract

Indazone
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Landry draws a lot of comparisons to a young Boozer. If he can do that, then he's All-Star material.

skut_farkus
01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
this guy is solid

Double-Up
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
just in time for a contract

Too bad he has a team option for next year.

GuerillaBlack
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
No All Star hype for Trevor "37%" Ariza? :lmao

Andrew, please take your friend Ariza back and give us Artest.

kthanx.

Indazone
01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Dude is going to get a big fat paycheck around 8-10 mil/yr when his contract is up. Ball don't lie.

mystargtr34
01-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Hell of an offensive player. Does he have a future at SF? How is his lateral quickness? Moving a natural 4 to the 3 spot almost never works... but he doesnt rebound or defend well at the 4 obviously because of his lack size and length..

He seems like he is suited to that 3/4 dynamic scoring bench role like an Al Harrington.. with efficiency.

sook
01-13-2010, 02:48 AM
I like Landry, but he's not an All Star caliber player. Very nice player, just not an AS.

oh yea? You know what was said when he was drafted? His ceiling would be a below avg borderline NBA player do you know how fast he turned it around to one of the top rookies that season? 3 months. He increased his vert by5 inches and worked like a dog. He was phenomenal when he played from not even traveling with the team. All of us saw it then, if you didn't already know he was one of the main reasons to why we won 22 straight games.

duhoh
01-13-2010, 04:37 AM
he'll be an AS if he keeps that chip on his shoulder.

man plays with so much enthusiasm. love it!

bugmenot
01-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Amare >>>>>>>>>>>>> Landry

Unholy Turkey
01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Apparently bugmenot knows his stuff about the obvious.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Landry sure puts up an effort when he goes up against the Lakers...man is a bonafide beast...