PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili's transition..

HarlemHeat37
01-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I've noticed that one of the most interesting aspects of this season has been the change of Manu Ginobili's game..while it's not a drastic change, it's still very interesting and noticeable IMO..again, not a huge change, but it's important IMO..

While Manu has always been a great passer, he's taken it to a new level this season IMO..this is important because Manu is obviously getting older and losing the athleticism he used to have(although he still has some left, don't get it twisted), which is natural with age..this is important because this could potentially extend his career in the NBA and it has given him a slightly different role on this Spurs team, which also fills in a role that this Spurs team is lacking(a pure playmaker)..

Manu is averaging 4.2 APG this season, the 2nd highest of his career..that doesn't seem like too much in comparison, but this has been BY FAR the lowest usage % he's had during his prime as a Spur, and also the lowest amount of MPG he's averaged..he averaged a career high in APG in 2007-2008, but he was playing 6 more minutes per game, averaged a whole 1 turnover more per game, and had the highest usage % of his career in that season..

82games.com has a 'passing rating' and a 'hands rating'..they respectively measure assists and turnovers..Ginobili has seen a huge increase in both this season in comparison to the rest of his career..

2009/10: 8.4/20.8..
2008/09: 5.2/15..
2007/08: 5.7/15.4..
2006/07: 5.7/15.4..
2005/06: 6/15.5..
2004/05: 6.2/15.5..

His Assist Rating is also by far the best of his career, as is his Assist:Turnover ratio..he's also #1 on our team in assists leading to scores at the basket, which is very impressive for our SG that comes off the bench..

It's not a huge change, but it's something that has become apparent and will be helpful as the year continues IMO..we have 2 shoot-first PGs..Hill needs a lot of work on his passing and while Tony isn't a bad passer himself, it's good to see that Manu appears to be transitioning his game into more of a playmaker..it will help himself and the team right now and in the long run..

EricB
01-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Not only has he improved his passing, but I think he's become a smarter player.

Less and less are the boneheadibili plays.

raspsa
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
I think that he has a big responsibility as the most experienced and talented guy in the 2nd unit to try and get everyone involved even if it means sacrificing some scoring.. focus more on playmaking, defense and just the intangible energy stuff that he can provide. I though he played a consistently good all-around game vs. the Lakers even if he didn't score that many points.. he did make some big plays when it counted.

ashbeeigh
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Pass first guard?

But then we'd losing the "scoring off the bench" that we love from him. Oh my gosh. Conundrum.

superjames1992
01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Pass first guard?
He's the only pass-first guard on our team. Our so-called point guards are score-first, IMO.

I'd love to see Manu get some minutes at PG. I think Hill is better suited as an SG, anyways.

ashbeeigh
01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
He's the only pass-first guard on our team. Our so-called point guards are score-first, IMO.

I'd love to see Manu get some minutes at PG. I think Hill is better suited as an SG, anyways.

He has that ability, as showcased by those stats. I think his game is evolving.

And I'm no stats lover or obsessed fan but wouldn't he lose his Manu-ness if he passed the ball all the time instead of shooting it in those game changing moments that we have all come to love and adore him for?

I'm just not pushing for the assist per game stat to go up. That's all I'm saying. It's a good thing...but I love flashy Manu.

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2010, 12:11 AM
There's no reason he can't do both..he's been doing it well this season for the most part IMO..

This Spurs team has A LOT of offensive weapons..we already have the obvious guys, but now we have others like Hill and Mason stepping up..we have Bonner returning soon..this team has a lot of shooters/scorers..

So I think it has helped to have Manu as less of a scorer and more of a playmaker to take advantage of his great passing..he helps utilize our scoring weapons better than anybody else..everybody plays better when Manu is on the floor..