PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Tennessee gunning for Muschamp

Cant_Be_Faded
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Apparently from the Tenn side he is the first choice for the vacant head coaching job and they have already offered him the position.

Inside sources on the Texas side say he would only leave for 2 SEC teams and Tenn ain't one of them....and that it makes no sense for him to leave for a job he could have had last year.

Losing Muschamp would be a kick in the nuts so hard that you lose all functionality for Texas.

CubanSucks
01-13-2010, 12:04 AM
If this ever ended up happening there would be a riot on both UTs one after the other

Blake
01-13-2010, 12:21 AM
:lol

there is some asscheek clinching going on in Austin tonite..

I think there's a less than 5% chance he takes the Tennessee job.

symple19
01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Hearing from some Vols that it goes Muschamp then Cutcliffe --- Some reports say Muschamp has already been offered. Just rumors though

How did Muschamp take the Brown extension?

misterx91578
01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
:lolwatch them bring Fulmer back

symple19
01-13-2010, 12:51 AM
I bet Tommy Tubberville is kicking himself somewhere right now --- lol

mookie2001
01-13-2010, 01:08 AM
im more worried about islamic terrorism than muschamp going to knoxville tennesse

mookie2001
01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
ahmad dixon has to pissed too, can this guy really decommit 4 times?

Blake
01-13-2010, 01:48 AM
I bet Tommy Tubberville is kicking himself somewhere right now --- lol

damn....instead of gigs at USC or Tennessee, he's stuck in Lubbock.

Sucks for him, great for Tech.

symple19
01-13-2010, 01:57 AM
damn....instead of gigs at USC or Tennessee, he's stuck in Lubbock.

Sucks for him, great for Tech.

I agree, great for Tech indeed

IronMexican
01-13-2010, 02:16 AM
Tuberville? If USC had got him, I'd be pissed.

IronMexican
01-13-2010, 02:21 AM
And it sounds like no Chow. Just read an LA times article.

symple19
01-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Tuberville? If USC had got him, I'd be pissed.

Makes sense.

A guy with a:

conference championship/5 western division SEC titles/undefeated season/career coaching record of 110-60/no NCAA dust ups/ respected by his peers

would piss you off

while a guy with

a career 12-21 record/multiple minor recruiting infractions/not respected by his peers(at least in the SEC)/ penchant for sticking his foot in his mouth/ 0-1 record against UCLA/questionable gameday coaching skills

makes you happy

Really?

Tubbs isn't right for USC, no doubt. But Tubbs has more head-coaching accomplishments in his toenail than Kiffin has in his whole life.

I just can't help but think this was a really bad decision. Dude may turn out to be the second coming of Carroll, but that's so unlikely as to be hilarious. Orgeron/Monte are the truth, but the fact remains that a 34 year old just got handed the keys to arguably the best program in college football based on a shoddy resume', familiarity, a name, and recruiting prowess.

Shaky bro', shaky

This really smacks of desperation, especially after Fisher, Del Rio, and Sarks all passed on the gig. I remember another time Sarks had the good mind to avoid a job. The Raiders wanted him before Al got smitten with Lane.

I'm not a USC hater, but I definitely don't like Lane. His year in the SEC solidified that.

There will also be the NCAA following him to USC where they're already busy. The UTK hostess controversy doesn't look like it's going away.

And if you think the NCAA won't follow a coach to a new school, then you should read about Kelvin Sampson.

jag
01-13-2010, 03:20 AM
A
Inside sources on the Texas side say he would only leave for 2 SEC teams and Tenn ain't one of them....

Alabama and Florida aren't even comparable to UTK anymore.

The UTK job is somewhat appealing, but not for a guy who is looking at the Texas job.

PGDynasty24
01-13-2010, 04:01 AM
USC has the butterfly affect. There is mass panic in the streets

Kermit
01-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Texas fans should be worried next year when Mark Richt is fired.

j-6
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM

This. Or we can pray to baby Jesus that Kirby Smart is a hotter name by then.

samikeyp
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
How about the Dread Pirate Leach? He was rumored to be in the mix for the Vols when they hired Kiffin? I would love to see the smack between him and Meyer.

Blake
01-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Tuberville? If USC had got him, I'd be pissed. thats funny because if tech had got kiffen id be more than pissed

romad_20
01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Alabama and Florida aren't even comparable to UTK anymore.

The UTK job is somewhat appealing, but not for a guy who is looking at the Texas job.

One of the jobs that Muschamp would go for is the HC at UGA.

I agree if Richt doesn't get it straight, UT should be worried about Muschamp. Not getting Kirby Smart for HC in waiting and DC opened that up.

I pray that Muschamp wouldn't accept the Tennessee job. I would hate to see him up there. But the Tenn job isn't chopped liver either.

I wouldn't be happy if I was USC fan right now. Kiffin has won what? 12 games in his career and Daddy ain't going to coach forever.

TFloss32
01-13-2010, 02:41 PM

This. Or we can pray to baby Jesus that Kirby Smart is a hotter name by then.

Georgia is the only job I can realistically see Muschamp leaving for (unless he's already head coach at Texas by the time it opens up). IMO, people tend to overlook how much Muschamp has stated that he's not ready to be a head coach, how immersed he already is in the Texas program and how much his family loves Austin.

I doubt Mark Richt gets fired in the near future. The guy always has a good record (if not great) against SEC competition, has a nice bowl record (three appearances in the Sugar) and his staff recruits well. Firing him would be absurd unless they were positive a guy like Kirby Smart or Will Muschamp was ready to take over.

Romad...inform me of what the Georgia talk is concerning Richt. On the surface, I can't see why anyone would be upset with this guy (especially with Alabama and Florida being so good recently).

How about the Dread Pirate Leach? He was rumored to be in the mix for the Vols when they hired Kiffin? I would love to see the smack between him and Meyer.

I would love to see Leach go to Tennessee and stir it up with the likes of Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. VolNation appears to believe that Leach has been offered and Troy Calhoun of Air Force is their second option. Maybe Leach becomes the offensive coordinator of UCLA if Norm Chow bolts for USC???

symple19
01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm hearing Muschamp has already declined and secured a small raise along with renewed confirmation of his coach in waiting status

TFloss32
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm hearing Muschamp has already declined and secured a small raise along with renewed confirmation of his coach in waiting status

Coach Boom must love this stuff. All he has to do is sit on his can while other programs make him a coaching candidate and he gets more money thrown his way. The dude is already paid more than a lot of head coaches.

romad_20
01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I doubt Mark Richt gets fired in the near future. The guy always has a good record (if not great) against SEC competition, has a nice bowl record (three appearances in the Sugar) and his staff recruits well. Firing him would be absurd unless they were positive a guy like Kirby Smart or Will Muschamp was ready to take over.

Romad...inform me of what the Georgia talk is concerning Richt. On the surface, I can't see why anyone would be upset with this guy (especially with Alabama and Florida being so good recently).

I'm glad to hear Muschamp has turned down that job. He's got a great gig at UT. I can understand his want to be a HC at this point since he's been a DC since 2002.

From my perspective, there's no way Richt would get fired unless he won less than 6 games and didn't make a bowl. Even then it would be a big stretch. The majority of the fanbase loves Richt and I think he resolved most of the problems with the program by getting rid of Martinez(who was his best friend since they played at the U), Fabris and the rest of the d coaching staff. I mean the guy has won 90 games in 9 years. No other coach in UGA history has done that. I think the problem is losing to FL and not bringing home that NC. UGA is right behind USC and Texas in terms of wins in the 2000's and yet they didn't win it all.

You do have that contingent of fans that feel a NC is the end all be all and if Muschamp was available for the HC and Richt lost a large number of games it could happen.

symple19
01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
looks like what I was hearing was false

here's an update from ESPN SEC blogger Chris Lowe

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton’s hope is to have a new coach hired by this weekend.

And, really, with the recruiting period set to go live again Sunday, the Vols can’t afford to go much past this weekend without a coach.

The sooner, the better.

Will Muschamp, Texas’ defensive coordinator and head coach-in-waiting, remains the Vols’ top target, and Hamilton was expected to have talks with Muschamp later Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.

One of the keys in landing Muschamp will be going in and getting him and not letting this thing drag out in search-like fashion.

Tennessee is prepared to offer some serious cash, potentially more than $3 million per year.

Muschamp has made it known that he will certainly listen for that kind of money. He’s making close to $1 million right now with the Longhorns.

It’s going to take a sweet deal to pry Muschamp away from Texas. But if Hamilton goes about it the right way, moves in quickly and makes it known that Muschamp is unequivocally his man, then the Vols will have a chance.

If Muschamp elects to stay at Texas, then former Tennessee assistant and current Duke coach David Cutcliffe may end up being the guy. At this point, it looks like Hamilton is interested in talking with Cutcliffe.

Former Tennessee star quarterback Peyton Manning would be a strong advocate for Cutcliffe.

Others to watch include Air Force’s Troy Calhoun, Ole Miss’ Houston Nutt, Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy and Connecticut’s Randy Edsall.

symple19
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Ole Miss fan will go apeshit if UTK lands Nutt, although that scenario seems unlikely. Tennessee is potentially going to swoop in and steal someone else's coach the same way USC did, and in turn piss off another school.The ripples of this saga have definitely not made it to shore yet.

Hey Dirk, you guys gonna set fire to the grove if Nutt leaves for Tennessee? :lol

symple19
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm glad to hear Muschamp has turned down that job. He's got a great gig at UT. I can understand his want to be a HC at this point since he's been a DC since 2002.

From my perspective, there's no way Richt would get fired unless he won less than 6 games and didn't make a bowl. Even then it would be a big stretch. The majority of the fanbase loves Richt and I think he resolved most of the problems with the program by getting rid of Martinez(who was his best friend since they played at the U), Fabris and the rest of the d coaching staff. I mean the guy has won 90 games in 9 years. No other coach in UGA history has done that. I think the problem is losing to FL and not bringing home that NC. UGA is right behind USC and Texas in terms of wins in the 2000's and yet they didn't win it all.

You do have that contingent of fans that feel a NC is the end all be all and if Muschamp was available for the HC and Richt lost a large number of games it could happen.

I think Richt should, for now, keep his job. It's becoming increasingly rare to find a consistently successful head coach that doesn't want to bolt as soon as the next big job comes up. Richt seems like a guy who wants to stay in Athens, and has proven he can keep UGA near the top. Plus, he's a damn good recruiter and has run a clean ship.

Who's the new DC Romad? Do you like the hire?

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 06:34 PM

What article? I haven't read anything stating either way...but the longer it isn't concretely stated the longer he'll probably remain in Westwood.

TFloss32
01-13-2010, 06:35 PM
looks like what I was hearing was false

here's an update from ESPN SEC blogger Chris Lowe

Eh...Chris Lowe seems to be writing as if he's instructing Tennessee on what to do and how they should go about getting Muschamp. Doesn't mention anything about an actual meeting or offer taking place. I'd be surprised if Muschamp leaves, but $3 million/year sounds nice.

symple19
01-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Eh...Chris Lowe seems to be writing as if he's instructing Tennessee on what to do and how they should go about getting Muschamp. Doesn't mention anything about an actual meeting or offer taking place. I'd be surprised if Muschamp leaves, but $3 million/year sounds nice.

Lowe is pretty good, but no, there's certainly nothing concrete in there other than meetings haven't taken place yet(as I write this). I would be also be surprised if Will left the Horns.

IronMexican
01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
What article? I haven't read anything stating either way...but the longer it isn't concretely stated the longer he'll probably remain in Westwood.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/norm-chow-coming-to-usc-isnt-a-done-deal-yet.html

The "NFL type money" makes it sound like it wont be happening.

The Gemini Method
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I must've missed that article when I scoured the L.A. Times for everything USC. It doesn't say talks are dead, nor does it say it is a done deal. If Mike Garrett and USC are going to push this WIN-AT-ALL-COSTS mantra that it took to poach Lane Kiffin, then why not pay Norm Chow the NFL type money? He was going to get that if he sayed after April 1st with the Bruins anyhow. $1.5 is good money for a Norm Chow...

TFloss32
01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
These are the only two credible pieces I've found about the Muschamp situation. According to these, he's staying. Apparently he flew to Knoxville early this morning and was back in Austin by early afternoon. If true, then these articles are timed correctly. Tennessee AD, Mike Hamilton, made no mention of Muschamp during his presser (which was held right after Muschamp supposedly left).

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=td-newsflash011310&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/13/report-muschamp-out-as-vols-candidate/

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM

what!

romad_20
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Who's the new DC Romad? Do you like the hire?

I wish we had one :lol Smart turned down the job on Monday. I've heard rumors about the DL coach for the Cowboys, Todd Grantham? and Travis Jones from the Saints.

At this point I just want the situation to be resolved and recruiting get back on track.

mookie2001
01-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah

Can't stand the cart marriage thread on the index

mookie2001
01-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Hyeah

TFloss32
01-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Looks like it's officially over...finally.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/01/13/muschamp_not_in.html

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 02:57 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/norm-chow-coming-to-usc-isnt-a-done-deal-yet.html

The "NFL type money" makes it sound like it wont be happening.

$690 uchla including that bonus...what would Chow say to $1,000? wouldn't that be enough?

IronMexican
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
You mean a million? That is NFL type money, so I suppose so.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
You mean a million? That is NFL type money, so I suppose so.

yeah, but i guess the news is he isn't coming...fuck.

Kermit
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
yeah, but i guess the news is he isn't coming...fuck.

haha

Whisky Dog
01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Boom mother fucker!!!!