PDA

View Full Version : Artest

alchemist
01-13-2010, 12:19 AM
I think the guy will be a huge problem if the Spurs don't find a way to neutralize him. He got the Spurs into foul trouble and nobody could stop him from attacking the rim.

Any ideas as to who or how the Spurs will do this?

honestfool84
01-13-2010, 12:24 AM
he's ALWAYS been a problem to the spurs, just like Bonzi Wells was back in the day.

exstatic
01-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I'd put Blair on him. That totally neutralizes him posting up. He's not as quick as he was 3-4 years ago, either, so it's not like he's going to break DeJuan down off the dribble.

sa_kid20
01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I'd put Blair on him. That totally neutralizes him posting up. He's not as quick as he was 3-4 years ago, either, so it's not like he's going to break DeJuan down off the dribble.

That would only work when Artest plays the 4 spot because if he's at the 3 who would guard Bynum or Gasol?? Unless Odom is also out there and you put RJ on him and let DeJuan take Artest but in crunch time Odom and Artest might not be on the floor at the same time. DeJuan just doesn't match up well against the Lakers but I hope we find a way to use him because he brings so much energy and hustle out there which could be the difference in a close game.

lefty
01-13-2010, 12:39 AM
I think the guy will be a huge problem if the Spurs don't find a way to neutralize him. He got the Spurs into foul trouble and nobody could stop him from attacking the rim.

He's a poor passer

Let's double team him

SequSpur
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
artest was fouling left and right and they weren't calling shit...fuck the nba.

DAF86
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Tim on Pau/Bynum
Blair on Artest
RJ on Odom

draft87
01-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Believe or not, don't be surprised if we get into another situation like the 3rd quarter and Bonner gets a few plays on him. Our frontcourt was kinda out of wack since Blair didn't get many minutes and we never put Ratliff back in.

If we go into another lull where the Lakers are just dropping it in the post I would expect RJ on him a few plays, then Blair, then Bonner. People, no need to shit your pants, I am implying that there will be a rotation. Like a rotation of defenders. I'm not saying Pop will throw Bonner in and that's it. Bonner has some height and weight to counter the post moves. Artest's actual moves didn't look all that great, he benefited a lot from being able to throw his weight and get close enough to the rim that we were forced to foul. Bonner's size can counter that and then either force Artest to pass or throw up a lower percentage attempt.

That being said, I still don't think it will be a good sight.

Next time we play them it'll be interesting to see how Pop uses Blair. If Blair gets some man defensive improvements I think he's the perfect size to defend Artest in the post. He just doesn't have the discipline at this point. It's a shame, we all know he wants to be on the court.

ffadicted
01-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Ok, more then half of the fouls artest "drew" were boooogus. I don't think he's even close to the spurs main concern when dealing with the lakers

alchemist
01-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Ok, more then half of the fouls artest "drew" were boooogus. I don't think he's even close to the spurs main concern when dealing with the lakers
Those bogus fouls are going to be called because he is getting fouled. The guy is bulldozing to the paint and you have no choice but to put your body on him.
I think Jackson will play this card whenever things get tight.

I do like the idea of Blair guarding him but I see the Lakers exploiting this with Gasol. I can't wait until the Feb. game to see how they match up again.

draft87
01-13-2010, 01:12 AM
artest was fouling left and right and they weren't calling shit...fuck the nba.

I agree, Fuck the NBA. We should stop watching it and stop discussing it on message boards. ...and by "we" I mean "SequSpur"

Man In Black
01-13-2010, 01:14 AM

I tend to think that if the Lakers are relying on Artest's post play to help get them back into the game, then it's a win for the Spurs as long as he isn't bailed out by bogus calls. Rotationally, the Spurs should change up to help confuse him and distribute the fouls that bail him out.

He doesn't seem to be as dominant as you used to be. Maybe he's still concussed but still, he seems...off. In a basketball way. I'm not talking about his mental capacity because that's pretty well-documented.

raspsa
01-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Artest had some success initially but once the Spurs adjusted and the help defense came, he couldn't buy a basket down low. He's lost some of his quickness and lacks lift.. still strong as a bull but every shot he forces is one less shot for Kobe. He's definitely dropped a notch.

ElNono
01-13-2010, 01:36 AM
I rather Artest take every shot instead of Kobe, Gasol or Bynum... If he wants to post up, let him... We'll help with Tim...

AFBlue
01-13-2010, 01:37 AM
he's ALWAYS been a problem to the spurs, just like Bonzi Wells was back in the day.

:lol

First thing I thought of...Bonzi friggin Wells.

I think the thing to do with him is match strength with strength and have Bogans guard him. I know Bogans is shorter and lighter, but he's the strongest, most physical defender the Spurs have.

The problem with putting Bogans on Artest is that you shift Jefferson to Kobe...definitely a risky proposition, but one that could pay off.