PDA

View Full Version : Donations to Haiti

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Wyclef setup a Text number for donations. If you text YELE to 501501 you can donate $5 to Haiti relief 100 percent goes to relief in Haiti and you can send the text multiple times.

If u look at twitters trending topics you can confirm this is legit

CubanMustGo
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
You can also text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti.

http://twitter.com/RedCross

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 09:15 AM
due to high adminsistrative costs its best to donate to the other one. all of that money will go directly to what its intended for. Red Cross skims a percentage for their overhead/advertising etc.

CosmicCowboy
01-13-2010, 09:18 AM
That shit hole is nothing but a cesspool of political graft and corruption. The ultra rich stealing from the ultra poor. I doubt 2 cents of every dollar donated actually makes it to the people it was intended for.

CubanMustGo
01-13-2010, 09:24 AM
due to high adminsistrative costs its best to donate to the other one. all of that money will go directly to what its intended for. Red Cross skims a percentage for their overhead/advertising etc.

You donate the way you feel best, others are free to choose whichever they want.

CosmicCowboy
01-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Rene Preval is probably celebrating this morning. He will be able to steal hundreds of millions of dollars of aid money before he leaves office next year.

Bukefal
01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Its truly a shame that a huge part of donated money, wherever in the world, ends up in pockets of a group of people, hence why I dont donate and give charity anymore to other people who supposedly pass it on to victims.

If I donate, I want to give it to victims or unfortunate people myself.

Hey people are bad

hater
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
That shit hole is nothing but a cesspool of political graft and corruption. The ultra rich stealing from the ultra poor. I doubt 2 cents of every dollar donated actually makes it to the people it was intended for.

that happens all over the 3rd world. those 2 cents could save a boy's life. donate my friend.

Fpoonsie
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Uhh...what happened?

METALMiKE
01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Uhh...what happened?

Major Earthquake

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Major Fucking Catastrophic Earthquake. Tens of thousands presumed dead. Country is in shambles. Entire cities wiped out.

Fpoonsie
01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Major Earthquake

Major Fucking Catastrophic Earthquake. Tens of thousands presumed dead. Country is in shambles. Entire cities wiped out.

:wow

Christ. Did it just happen this morning or...?

METALMiKE
01-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Now that you mention it, I didn't even notice how horrible it was.

nkdlunch
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
You know it's really bad when they had to double check if the president and his cabinet survived.

RIP Haiti

could this be the beginning of the end?

Fpoonsie
01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow. I'm watching the yahoo news report on it.

Fucking awful.

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Every single hospital in Port Au Prince was destroyed and or abandoned.

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
People were chanting Jesus is coming when this happened.

METALMiKE
01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
3 million affected.... crazy

Bukefal
01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
You know it's really bad when they had to double check if the president and his cabinet survived.

RIP Haiti

could this be the beginning of the end?

What are you onto with in here and in the politics forum saying; 'RIP haiti' - 'could this be the beginning of the end?''- 'Haiti could become a vacation colony' ???

What do you mean with this BS?
:bang

This doesnt mean the end of Haiti nor the world and no it wont become a vacation colony
:toast

nkdlunch
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
What are you onto with in here and in the politics forum saying; 'RIP haiti' - 'could this be the beginning of the end?''- 'Haiti could become a vacation colony' ???

What do you mean with this BS?
:bang

This doesnt mean the end of Haiti nor the world and no it wont become a vacation colony
:toast

well I don't really see how this country can recover.

It was already about 30 years behind the times. This massive earquake probably set it back another 100 years. :wow

lefty
01-13-2010, 11:18 AM
RIP :depressed

I'm starting to think 2012 is going to happen; tsunamis, major earthquake, ...

CosmicCowboy
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
The government getting wiped out to the last person would have been the best thing that ever happened to Haiti.

timvp
01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
You haven't seen poor until you've been to Haiti. It's not even describable. I once bought a whole sack of sugarcane for a dollar ... and the guy wanted to give me change. Considering the home he was selling out of was made of paper mache, I let him keep it.

I. Hustle
01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/germany/samuel_dalembert.jpgWhat?!

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Estimated death toll is expected to be 100,000 to 300,000 people.

iilluzioN
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
What a sad story/event :(

I just Donated 50 dollars

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Damn richer.

CosmicCowboy
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
It's going to be a real mess. Humanitarian relief efforts have never worked in Haiti. The "government" always wants to get between the organization and the people...and the aid NEVER gets to the people that need it.

Heath Ledger
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe we will find a reason to invade Haiti and fix it. We're good at fixing everyone elses problems... Not in our own backyard.

tlongII
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
It's going to be a real mess. Humanitarian relief efforts have never worked in Haiti. The "government" always wants to get between the organization and the people...and the aid NEVER gets to the people that need it.

That may be true, but we HAVE to try.

CosmicCowboy
01-14-2010, 11:49 AM
That may be true, but we HAVE to try.

I agree, but it will be Deja Vu all over again. The civilized world will throw BILLIONS more at Haiti (The US alone has already dumped FIVE BILLION down that rat hole) and nothing will change.

Go back in 2 years and it will look basically the same as it does now but all the money will have been sucked out of the system. Some of the richest people in the world are ex Haitian politicians.

METALMiKE
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
If yall to go CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com), you can see an ok quality of a surveillance camera when the quake began.

ashbeeigh
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
If any of y'all are in San Antonio and are close to my area you can drop off health kits for Haiti.

http://news.uchurch.tv/files/2010/01/health-kit.pdf

spursncowboys
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks for this.

gay abc
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
TO: All Associates, Counsel, Legal Assistants and Support Staff (All Offices)

RE: Haitian Earthquake Relief

In light of the terrible tragedy of the earthquake in Haiti, the Firm will be making an aggregate donation of $100,000 to organizations active in providing relief in Haiti. The Firm will provide an initial contribution of $25,000 to each of the two agencies listed below, and an additional $50,000 fund under which the Firm will match individual employee contributions of up to $500. Only contributions to registered 501(c)(3) organizations providing direct relief in Haiti are eligible for this match. Please complete and submit the attached form to Kristin Leary in the New York office.

American Red Cross
2025 E Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
800‑REDCROSS

www.redcross.org

Doctors Without Borders USA
333 7th Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10001-5004

888‑392‑0392

www.doctorswithoutborders.org

duncan228
01-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Haiti in need of Dalembert’s greatest assist

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-dalemberthaiti011410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Samuel Dalembert Foundation

http://www.dalembertfoundation.org/index.html

The NBA Supports UNICEF's Emergency Response Efforts for Children in Haiti

http://www.unicefusa.org/hidden/the-nba-supports-unicef-relief-in-Haiti.html

ashbeeigh
01-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Is Wyclef's Haiti Nonprofit Legit?

In the aftermath of the devastating earthquake that struck Haiti on Tuesday, former Fugees star Wyclef Jean has emerged as one of the most prominent advocates for charitable giving in his home country. His nonprofit, Yele Haiti Foundation, has already netted more than $2 million in contributions via text messages. But that charity has a "lackluster history of accounting for its finances," and it has paid at least $410,000 to businesses tied to Jean in past years, The Smoking Gun reports.

Though it was incorporated 12 years ago, Yele filed tax returns for the first time in August 2009, and only turned over records for the period between 2005 and 2007. In that three year window, Yele paid a Manhattan recording studio owned by Jean and business partner Jerry Duplessis $100,000 for the musician to play at a benefit for his own charity, as well as $62,400 in rent. The nonprofit also paid $250,000 for "airtime and production services" on a Haitian TV station that the duo "own a controlling interest" in.

Gawker points out that "[n]one of this means that Jean, Duplessis, and Yele Haiti aren't doing important work in Haiti, or that they can't play a constructive role in responding to the earthquake crisis," but "[i]t does mean that, if the past is any guide, they are unlikely to wisely manage any of the money they are currently collecting from concerned Americans on behalf of the victims in Haiti." To donate to Jean's foundation, text "Yele" to 501501 and $5 will be added to your next phone bill. You can also text "HAITI" to "90999" to donate $10 to the Red Cross. For other ways to donate to the relief effort, U.S News and World Report has compiled a round-up of nonprofits working in Haiti, while the American Institute of Philanthropy gives letter grades to charities based on the "portion of their budget going to program services and their fundraising efficiency."

http://gothamist.com/2010/01/15/is_wyclefs_haiti_nonprofit_legit.php

phxspurfan
01-15-2010, 08:57 PM
I donated to Wyclef and UNICEF. Hopefully at least one of those notes makes it there.

tlongII
01-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Fans donated $65K at the Blazer game tonight. It was great!

CubanSucks
01-16-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm starting to think 2012 is going to happen; tsunamis, major earthquake, ...

I know right! Cause Lord knows these things never used to happen throughout our planets history

CubanMustGo
01-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Interesting story today about all the text donations ... seems the majority of the cell providers won't actually send the money to charities until people pay their cell phone bills. Verizon is going to send the $3M in advance of being paid, no word (as of the story, written yesterday) about the other cellular companies,.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-16-2010, 12:14 PM
http://www.stillerstrong.org/

Summers
01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
You haven't seen poor until you've been to Haiti. It's not even describable. I once bought a whole sack of sugarcane for a dollar ... and the guy wanted to give me change. Considering the home he was selling out of was made of paper mache, I let him keep it.

I think those of us who've never travelled outside the US (I don't think the Mexican border towns count) can't imagine how poor some people are in this world. It's something I've heard over and over again from people who've traveled. I remember reading something that said the poorest Americans are better off than 70% of the world's population. I make myself remember that when I feel overwhelmed by credit card bills and feel pissed off that I can't afford to replace my ripped comforter (because I'd have to change all the matching accessories and bathroom decor). I have clean water, good food, a strong roof, a husband that never beats me, and healthy educated children. Life is grand. Sorry to go so off-topic. I did the text donation this morning to the Red Cross.

makedamnsure
01-17-2010, 09:49 PM
/\ I always think about how good I have it when I complain about a mid-term or a final or some stupid 5 page paper over God knows what. People would KILL to have the chance to attend a university and here I am complaining about it?

sabar
01-18-2010, 03:48 AM
Eh, money isn't going to help at all. The rich will take it and the people will remain dirt poor. The whole country needs to be obliterated and the people sent off to any other country in the world. They'd be better off with $0.00, no education, no home, and no car on the streets of just about any nation than where they are right now. People joke that U.S. politicians are so corrupt and inept, yet our worst is better than their best.

CosmicCowboy
01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree, but it will be Deja Vu all over again. The civilized world will throw BILLIONS more at Haiti (The US alone has already dumped FIVE BILLION down that rat hole) and nothing will change.

Go back in 2 years and it will look basically the same as it does now but all the money will have been sucked out of the system. Some of the richest people in the world are ex Haitian politicians.

One year anniversary.

Told ya so. What a bottomless shithole of corruption.

Cyrano
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
One year later, the majority of the nearly two billion dollars donated is still sitting in the bank accounts of the nonprofit relief organizations.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/11/132807059/haiti-aid-money-lies-unspent-drawing-criticism?ft=1&f=3

Winehole23
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgianne-nienaber/haiti-cholera-sos_b_850914.html

DarkReign
04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Nothing like some poor people making more poor people.

admiralsnackbar
04-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Nothing like some poor people making more poor people.
I got the impression Wino's post was basically saying there are going to be a lot fewer poor people unless less-poor people dig in.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
One year later, the majority of the nearly two billion dollars donated is still sitting in the bank accounts of the nonprofit relief organizations.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/11/132807059/haiti-aid-money-lies-unspent-drawing-criticism?ft=1&f=3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgianne-nienaber/haiti-cholera-sos_b_850914.html

Maybe these should go have caw-fee..........and, you know.............talk.

Winehole23
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Go back in 2 years and it will look basically the same as it does now but all the money will have been sucked out of the system. Some of the richest people in the world are ex Haitian politicians.http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/08/2579242/haiti-2-years-later-half-a-million.html

BlackSwordsMan
01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/08/2579242/haiti-2-years-later-half-a-million.html

Gotta pay for the murder of Iraqi kids somehow. America took the Haitians money and not a thing they can do about it.

boutons_deux
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Haiti: Where the Earthquake Money Did and Did Not Go

The UN estimated international donors gave Haiti over $1.6 billion in relief aid since the earthquake (about $155 per Haitian) and over $2 billion in recovery aid (about $173 per Haitian) over the last two years.

Yet Haiti looks like the earthquake happened two months ago, not two years. Over half a million people remain homeless in hundreds of informal camps, most of the tons of debris from destroyed buildings still lays where it fell, and cholera, a preventable disease, was introduced into the country and is now an epidemic killing thousands and sickening hundreds of thousands more.

It turns out that almost none of the money that the general public thought was going to Haiti actually went directly to Haiti. The international community chose to bypass the Haitian people, Haitian non-governmental organizations and the government of Haiti. Funds were instead diverted to other governments, international NGOs, and private companies.

Despite this near total lack of control of the money by Haitians, if history is an indication, it is quite likely that the failures will ultimately be blamed on the Haitians themselves in a “blame the victim” reaction.

Haitians ask the same question as many around the world “Where did the money go?”

Here are seven places where the earthquake money did and did not go.

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/153647