PDA

View Full Version : We don't need BONNER!!!

RamReddy
01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Im not saying that he sucks or anything because he dosen't.
But by the way we are playing rite now (even in the dallas game) we look like we just don't need him.
He does take away from our defensive talent
We should trade him for another big body down low that would fill in for blair when we play tall teams like the lakers or cavs.

I know that when he comes back our chemistry will get messed up

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag:

James210
01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
I dont think that he is as unvaluable as the above poster believes.
he just shouldn't have the major role that pop gives him.

With pop probably unwilling to give mahinmi a full time role, sadly but true
bonner will have major minutes

Strike
01-13-2010, 10:19 AM
If, after the Spurs' relative success during Bonner's absence, Pop puts him back in the rotation and gives him major minutes, I will be forced to give up on the season.

Big P
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Bonner & Finley could return about a $6 mil per year player, or maybe trade them for a TE & late picks.

Obstructed_View
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Bonner's going to be a big help to the team, especially since now there's no need to put him back into the starting lineup.

fraga
01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Use them for what they are...off the bench...when we're up by double digits...let them get their points...DO NOT...make Bonner a starter or have him take the last shot...period...

androck
01-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Bonner is key to opening up Tony's game. Since he stays on the perimeter, he draws out one opposing big from the paint to free up the lane for Tony to drive. Likewise, he also reduces the chances of Tim being double-teamed when he's on the court. With his high 3-pt percentage and improved rebounding, this season has been Bonner's best with the Spurs. He's not a defensive star but at this point he's better than both Blair and Mahinmi because, although he does not block shots, he rarely misses a rotation and does not foul nearly as much as those two. Next year Blair will almost certainly be the better player but at this point I would be surprised if he got much burn in the playoffs.

This is all moot if Bonner's fracture ruins his shot and his 3-pt shooting goes down.

dbestpro
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I really wonder what Haislip could do in that Bonner role. His defense couldn't be any worse. Between him and Ian they could allow the Spurs to move some bigger contracts for a player of need. I mean the team is doing pretty well without Bonner and Finley even if Haislip and Ian show nothing more. PG insurance for TP or a great shot blocker who can play extended minutes would be nice. You can take your pick on what you consider a player of need.

dbestpro
01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
"Bonner is key to opening up Tony's game."

Right now rest is the key to Parker's game.

timaios
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Bonner is key to opening up Tony's game.

And Manu, RJ and Timmy ! RJ should attack the rim a lot more !!!

galvatron3000
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I really wonder what Haislip could do in that Bonner role. His defense couldn't be any worse. Between him and Ian they could allow the Spurs to move some bigger contracts for a player of need. I mean the team is doing pretty well without Bonner and Finley even if Haislip and Ian show nothing more. PG insurance for TP or a great shot blocker who can play extended minutes would be nice. You can take your pick on what you consider a player of need.

Haislip can't even get 1/3 of Bonner's minutes while injured so not likely unless two more Spurs get injured, namely Dyess and Ratliff

Spursmania
01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
We're doing just fine without Bonner and Finley. We could use them for different match-ups when necessary. But I hope doesn't give them a lot of minutes when they get back.

Chomag
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
The best way Bonner can help the Spurs at the moment is using him to trade. No hate, but I honestly feel his skills would be best used this way as the team stands right now. Same with Finley, again no hate. I'm just looking what more these guys can bring to the team since it seems like what they do bring isn't as useful , or needed as something else they might bring such as a trade.

TJastal
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I think Bonner will see time if Blair continues to play like crap.

Bruno
01-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Spurs have been without Bonner and Finley for 12 games. On could have thing that Spurs offense would have suffered to be without these 2 offensive minded players. In fact, Spurs have averaged 102.4 ppg in these 12 games.

Spurs have enough firepower even without Bonner and Finley. The idea of trading them for a defensive minded bigman seems to be the right one.

Obstructed_View
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm really disappointed that Hairston and Mahinmi haven't gotten more burn with Bonner and Finley missing time. Their going down early in the season felt almost serendipitous. Not so much, now. Really glad Matty was hustling and producing once he didn't have the pressure of starting anymore.

rayray2k8
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I think I said this in the trade speculation thread, but since Bonner went down the Spurs are 10-3 (including the game that Matt went down in).

Spurs are 13-10 with Bonner. It is really up to Pop. Matt brings great 3 point shooting, but if the Spurs can package him for someone better that can help the Spurs then he'll make the move.

Hmmm. Why does that not surprise me?

Obstructed_View
01-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Hmmm. Why does that not surprise me?

Doubtful that it would surprise anyone that would try to make anyone believe that the stat has any meaning whatsoever. Bonner was the best starting center the Spurs had early in the season. That he isn't today, even if healthy, is a sign of the improvement of the team and their record clearly reflects that.

Should I even bother telling you this? I have a feeling you know it and don't care.

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Hairston is understandable considering the guys ahead of him(from Pop's POV..obviously I would rather see Malik get some burn), but you would think that Ian would have seen more floor time..

I'm 100% in favor of trading Bonner/Finley/Haislip/1st rounder for a guy like Brendan Haywood or another defensive big..but as long as Bonner is on the roster, he DOES help the team..I know most people here dislike his game, but he has clearly helped the Spurs at times..

Bonner hasn't been exploited by bench big men AT ALL defensively, so he hasn't been a liability at all when he's going up against bench guys..it doesn't hurt to have a ~45% 3-point shooting big man coming off the bench when your team needs a spark..

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Hairston is understandable considering the guys ahead of him(from Pop's POV..obviously I would rather see Malik get some burn), but you would think that Ian would have seen more floor time..

I'm 100% in favor of trading Bonner/Finley/Haislip/1st rounder for a guy like Brendan Haywood or another defensive big..but as long as Bonner is on the roster, he DOES help the team..I know most people here dislike his game, but he has clearly helped the Spurs at times..

Bonner hasn't been exploited by bench big men AT ALL defensively, so he hasn't been a liability at all when he's going up against bench guys..it doesn't hurt to have a ~45% 3-point shooting big man coming off the bench when your team needs a spark..

ernest787
01-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Bonner is going to help when he comes back. I know the cool thing is to hate on him, but the dude has some game. He is great for 20 minutes a night spacing the floor. He is not a good defender, but in the team defensive he does an effective job, and this season has been very good on the boards.

I don't want him to start, but I am not impressed with Blair as the starter either.

superjames1992
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Im not saying that he sucks or anything because he dosen't.
But by the way we are playing rite now (even in the dallas game) we look like we just don't need him.
He does take away from our defensive talent
We should trade him for another big body down low that would fill in for blair when we play tall teams like the lakers or cavs.

I know that when he comes back our chemistry will get messed up

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag:
You still think this? :lol

We've been playing great the last few games!

Borosai
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Jesus Christ!!!

jason1301
01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Bonner's going to be a big help to the team, especially since now there's no need to put him back into the starting lineup.

that

[\thread]

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Like it or not, disagree if you want, but Matt Bonner is a big part of this team..while it's not a good thing to rely on Bonner to help us win games, that's the reality..

AussieFanKurt
01-17-2010, 07:25 PM
we definitely need bonner
what the fuck?