PDA

View Full Version : How should Pop manage minutes against the Thunder?

timvp
01-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Tim Duncan played 40 minutes last night. It has come out that Tony Parker is injured. The Spurs are entering the second leg of a four games in five nights stretch.

Should Pop go balls to the wall and treat the game against the Thunder as a measuring stick type game and distribute the minutes in a way that gives the Spurs the best shot at winning? Alternatively, should Pop be cautious with the minutes as to not wear his stars against a younger, quicker team that will try to run the Spurs out of the building?

I'm torn. This would be a great win to pair with the victory against the Lakers. It could give the Spurs much needed momentum. Then again, with less than 24 hours between start times, it could definitely sap energy in quick order. We've seen in recent history how playing the stars big minutes in the regular season can cause them to wear out by the playoffs (Manu in 2008, Duncan in 2009).

What say you?

Phenomanul
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Give Mahinmi some burn...

ElNono
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I think TD can sit down. We can probably manage with a rotation of Dice, Blair, Ratliff and Ian in the front court... Maybe even give Hasilip some time, since we're playing against young fellas...

I would also limit Tony's minutes a bit if possible...

The rest should be able to play... Manu logged 25 mins or so... so he should be ok...

TJastal
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Tim Duncan played 40 minutes last night. It has come out that Tony Parker is injured. The Spurs are entering the second leg of a four games in five nights stretch.

Should Pop go balls to the wall and treat the game against the Thunder as a measuring stick type game and distribute the minutes in a way that gives the Spurs the best shot at winning? Alternatively, should Pop be cautious with the minutes as to not wear his stars against a younger, quicker team that will try to run the Spurs out of the building?

I'm torn. This would be a great win to pair with the victory against the Lakers. It could give the Spurs much needed momentum. Then again, with less than 24 hours between start times, it could definitely sap energy in quick order. We've seen in recent history how playing the stars big minutes in the regular season can cause them to wear out by the playoffs (Manu in 2008, Duncan in 2009).

What say you?

I think there will be plenty of games upcoming against sub 500 teams to get R&R. This game should be treated as the potential playoff matchup that it could very well be and the spurs should go after it.

Add in the fact that thunder have recently been a thorn in the side with their athletic players Durant and Green dominating them and its almost like a monkey on the back. I think if the spurs can solve the thunder it would give them a huge boost of confidence in beating those ultra athletic teams around the league (bulls/suns/blazers/cavs/etc).

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I would limit Tim and Tony to about 2 quarters each. Start them, and run your regular rotations, but sub early and give the bench more minutes. Give Ian half of Timmy's minutes tonight.

kace
01-13-2010, 01:11 PM
i guess that "play it safe" means more Mahinmi. so, i say yes. i want to see what he can do after the game against the nets.

I'm not confident in Pop playing him big minutes unless he's in a "play it safe" mindset.

Chomag
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
If Tim is to rest I hope Pop starts him but limits his minutes. IMO Having him come in later to play catch up pretty much defeats the purpose of resting him , because he would need to come in balls out instead of being able to pace his energy.

The win would be good but being it a back to back, and that OKC has our number, its a big possibility we would lose even while playing the big 3 for 30+minutes. So getting rest to our big 3 outweighs a win here I think.

Bukefal
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
We should play it safe and let some of our main guys having a bit more rest. Limiting TD and TP's minutes.

galvatron3000
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Parker should rest not Duncan. Limit Duncan's minutes sure

TJastal
01-13-2010, 01:21 PM
If Tim is to rest I hope Pop starts him but limits his minutes. IMO Having him come in later to play catch up pretty much defeats the purpose of resting him , because he would need to come in balls out instead of being able to pace his energy.

+1

This whole "resting strategy" is a complete joke and won't work if your just going to bring in the guys your trying to rest in an attempt to salvage the game.

It really just causes even more stress and strain on them to have to come in cold like Timmy did against the raptors and then try to dig his way out of a huge mess.

Dex
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a hard time voting because I don't think you necessarily have to go one way or the other.

I think you stick with the same the lineup, just lean heavier on the bench minutes. If one of the reserves starts playing particularly well, adjust minutes to have them on the floor in crunch time instead of the starters.

Basically, see if the starters can put the bench in a position to win the game.

lurker23
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Play this game like Nets 2.0. Put in guys who aren't tired and who won't take the game lightly. Rest Duncan. Give Mahinmi some burn. Give Hairston 10-15 minutes and try him out on Durant. If RMJ gets hot, keep him in the game until he gets cold. Try to keep Hill's confidence high, and use his defense to the best of your advantage. Do little things to encourage Blair; maybe call 4-down for him a couple times or something. Make Jefferson the primary offensive option when Manu's off the court.

Spursmania
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I would limit Tim and Tony to about 2 quarters each. Start them, and run your regular rotations, but sub early and give the bench more minutes. Give Ian half of Timmy's minutes tonight.

Totally agree with you.:toast

VBM
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Start your stars and build a lead, then sit em in the 4th. Exception might be Tony...a hobbled Tony and a healthy Hill aren't that far apart ability-wise, so Hill could take on a heavier load.

the crimson blur
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Play this game like Nets 2.0. Put in guys who aren't tired and who won't take the game lightly. Rest Duncan. Give Mahinmi some burn. Give Hairston 10-15 minutes and try him out on Durant. If RMJ gets hot, keep him in the game until he gets cold. Try to keep Hill's confidence high, and use his defense to the best of your advantage. Do little things to encourage Blair; maybe call 4-down for him a couple times or something. Make Jefferson the primary offensive option when Manu's off the court.

This. :)

VBM
01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Also, the poll should actually read

1. Play to win
2. Lose 10 games on purpose...(quick glance at the sched shows that we have 10 b2bs left (including the one we're in the middle of right now).

Still a little early to be throwing games...sit Parker since he's banged up, but let the others play...the only way the big guns won't be banged up at playoff time would be to bench them from now until the last couple weeks of the season...

lefty
01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Do what he did vs Nuggets last season

Sit the stars :lol

TJastal
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
So you guys are ok with dropping this game in the name of rest... losing our momentum and giving a team that could easily be a 1st round playoff matchup even more of a psychological edge?

EricB
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Sit Duncan and Parker.

Unleash the toros.

VBM
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
So you guys are ok with dropping this game in the name of rest... losing our momentum and giving a team that could easily be a 1st round playoff matchup even more of a psychological edge?

Just realized we have them on the second half of another back to back in March (following a game against the Hawks).

SpursRulez4eVeR
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
can't decide b/t the poll but mins have to be limited (if any) for TD and TP

bus driver
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
dallas will most certainly lose tonight and we need to make ground on that one game....its now or never.

VI_Massive
01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Dnptd

the crimson blur
01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Just realized we have them on the second half of another back to back in March (following a game against the Hawks).

*sigh*

Spursmania
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure how Spurs can justify sitting TP already. He's had PF all season apparently.

TD had Plantar fascitis in 2006. He played all year through it. It takes a couple months-1 year or more to heal. So sitting TP out for one game makes no sense, especially against an important foe.

Spurs can't exactly be throwing away games so soon. The Spurs should just limit TP's minutes and lean on Hill more. TD's minutes should be limited as much as possible, but I don't think they should sit him out this entire game either. Spurs have plenty of bigs to sub for TD.

jb4g
01-13-2010, 02:11 PM

this

Spursfanfromafar
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Unleash last year's strategy against Denver where we nearly got a win despite playing the likes of Jacques Vaughn and others for umpteen minutes.

rayray2k8
01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
The Thunder are no longer pushovers.

TJastal
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't think you take any games off against potential playoff competition, esp one that the spurs really really need to "solve" and learn how to beat.

vander
01-13-2010, 03:00 PM
40 minutes for Blair and Mason and Hill please

not to play it safe but because they will have legs, and give us the best chance at a win

pookenstein
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
go into the game with our regular starting five, but limit timmy's minutes by giving mahinmi and theo some minutes.
same with tony. start him but let george, mase and manu play the majority of the game.

i think a win tonight would be some kind of statement and built their confidence, especially against some of the hyper athletic teams.

Brazil
01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Sit Duncan and Parker.

Unleash the toros.

:toast

PDXSpursFan
01-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Nobody should sit. Use regular starting lineup. Manage/limit minutes of big 3's.

Muser
01-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Sit TP/TD, Give Ian/Theo/Hill/Hairston decent minutes.

easjer
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Pretty much this.

I don't think it's necessary (or even particularly wise at this juncture) to completely sit them. Tony's injury won't heal with a game or two off and Timmy isn't currently nursing an injury. Some light game time to keep in form and give more game-time play to the rotations they are still monkeying.

Then pull them and monkey with the rest. But you have to be willing to sit them at the cost of the game. Let the young'uns get some practice in staying ahead or digging out. It's not must-win or March. No need to burn them.

silverblackfan
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I think starting Tim and Tony and limiting their minutes would be my choice. Gets the team in it's 'normal' rhythm to start the game and then adjust with all the bench options later to rest the big guns.
I am normally a rest Tim and damn the season type guy, but the team could use a little consistency and another good win against a challenging team. Winning this game could really help out the overall team confidence for the rest of the nights where mainly the bench will probably be playing.
Side note: who the hell sets up these wacky schedules? I know every team does this, but it is brutal. Even though the Spurs have essentially two good teams to play, even they are going to struggle at the end of this week. How do the other teams do it without getting injuries or piling up the losses?

My Fault
01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I think there will be plenty of games upcoming against sub 500 teams to get R&R. This game should be treated as the potential playoff matchup that it could very well be and the spurs should go after it.

Add in the fact that thunder have recently been a thorn in the side with their athletic players Durant and Green dominating them and its almost like a monkey on the back. I think if the spurs can solve the thunder it would give them a huge boost of confidence in beating those ultra athletic teams around the league (bulls/suns/blazers/cavs/etc).
Potential playoff matchup? Its nothing but a regular season game. What good would it be to treat this as anything more if it turns into someone getting injuried or not being 100% for an ACTUAL playoff game.

bigbendbruisebrother
01-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Tony needs to be benched until the plantar fasciitis is cleared up. I know that would suck, but we'll need him come playoff time, and having had to deal with PF myself, the only thing that cures it is rest (and good orthopedic arch supports). As for Tim, I'd start him but substantially limit his minutes.

Ian, Slip and Malik need to see major floor time, but this shouldn't be a throw away. We need to makeup ground on Dallas.

DAF86
01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Play (start) it like a normal game, with maybe a little more rest than usual to TP and TD. That's what I would do, but if Pop plans to rest Tim and/or Parker just in-active them (I wouldn't even make them travel), do anything except that bullshit he did in Toronto.

timvp
01-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Play (start) it like a normal game, with maybe a little more rest than usual to TP and TD. That's what I would do, but if Pop plans to rest Tim and/or Parker just in-active them (I wouldn't even make them travel), do anything except that bullshit he did in Toronto.

Yeah, that's the only thing I don't want to see him do.

Kori Ellis
01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I think he should start everything as normal and just pull Tim/Tony each quarter a bit early than normal. Hopefully by the third quarter, the Spurs will have the victory sewn up and the young guys can run the fourth.

TJastal
01-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Potential playoff matchup? Its nothing but a regular season game. What good would it be to treat this as anything more if it turns into someone getting injuried or not being 100% for an ACTUAL playoff game.

The injury threat is overblown, just keep the big 3 around 25-30 mins each and there should be no problems.

Reasons to play for the win.

1. Spurs are #3 in the west right now, thunder #6, already very close to a 1st round matchup.

2. They have had problems with the thunder; the thunder already have a pyschological advantage vs the spurs, this needs to be squelched.

3. The spurs should try to keep the momentum going, because they have a chance at a higher than #3 seed. It's defenitely possible, especially with the lakers struggling w/ Gasol out. Home court advantage is a BIG advantage in the playoffs and worth making the extra effort.

4. Spurs lose this game, and it reinforces that they are having problems with
+.500 teams. This could be psychologically damaging as well.

5. There gonna be more B2B's, 10 more in all. You planning on losing those too?

phxspurfan
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Rest Duncan and start Hill but give Parker about 20 minutes to keep his rhythm. Rotate the bench (which isn't really as JV as it sounds) throughout the game and match our youth with theirs to measure how theyve developed.

ie. put Hairston on Durant. When he gets into foul trouble, use Bogans or RJ. Use this game to give RJ more shots and more confidence. Myabe have a lineup like this:

start
Hill*
RMJ*
Bogans
Jefferson
McDyess

sub
Hairston
Blair/Ratliff
Parker/Manu

*a deadly combination as we saw last season
ps how are Fin and Bonner doing?

spurspokesman
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Totally agree with you.:toast

Me too.

spurspokesman
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Rest Duncan and Parker the entire game. I would even give them a DNP.

Play Blair, McDyess, Ratliff and keep rotating entire game.

Start Hill and rotate with Mase Ginobli

Give Haislip some PT at the 3/4 and see how he fares.
Then again I say go for it without parker playing much if any. I can see a pissed off la team beating dallas. 1 full game sounds good to me

TJastal
01-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Rest Duncan and start Hill but give Parker about 20 minutes to keep his rhythm. Rotate the bench (which isn't really as JV as it sounds) throughout the game and match our youth with theirs to measure how theyve developed.

ie. put Hairston on Durant. When he gets into foul trouble, use Bogans or RJ. Use this game to give RJ more shots and more confidence. Myabe have a lineup like this:

start
Hill*
RMJ*
Bogans
Jefferson
McDyess

sub
Hairston
Blair/Ratliff
Parker/Manu

*a deadly combination as we saw last season
ps how are Fin and Bonner doing?

I don't think shaking up the lineup to this extent is a wise idea. The spurs are a team that adapts to changes slowly, this would most certainly throw the team out of sync.

The one guy I'd like to see tonight is a little Haislip on Jeff Green off the bench.

TIMMYD!
01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Play it safe.

superjames1992
01-13-2010, 05:05 PM
How many other teams have open discussions about resting their stars? Of course, I guess that's what you get when two of your three best players are at least 32 years of age.

dbestpro
01-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure how Spurs can justify sitting TP already. He's had PF all season apparently.

TD had Plantar fascitis in 2006. He played all year through it. It takes a couple months-1 year or more to heal. So sitting TP out for one game makes no sense, especially against an important foe.

I think it would be harder to play and run fast with a bad heel when my game depends on me to run fast (TP). I also think it is not as hard with a bad foot when all I have to do is jog back and forth and play half court ball close to the basket.

Refocus
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM

This. :king

quentin_compson
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I think it would be a good thing to play both Tony and Timmy while making sure they stay well under 30 minutes.

A close game would be difficult as Pop might be tempted/forced to play them more than he probably should. I'd like to see the likes of Hill, Blair, RMJ and Jefferson try and defend a big lead or dig back into the game.

duncan228
01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Managing Minutes in the Thunder (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/13/managing-minutes-in-the-thunder/#more-5944)
by Andrew A. McNeill
48 Minutes of Hell

Ah yes, the second night of a back-to-back. In previous years, tonight would treat us to a game where the Spurs would show their age and wear down late in the contest. Sloppy plays would occur and fans would thank their lucky stars that there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.

But since infusing some young legs into the team’s roster (See: Hill, George and Blair, DeJuan), San Antonio has used the second night of these two-day tests to rest older rotation players and give some playing time to fringe players. All while remaining competitive on both nights.

Keep reading (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/13/managing-minutes-in-the-thunder/#more-5944) →

Das Texan
01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Duncan and Parker both need to be under 30 minutes tonight.

Under 25 minutes would be even better.

Throw Georgie out there for 40+ tonight and lets just run with it.

igruex
01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
We certainly need this one as water, yet, Timmy MUST play less than 32 minutes (TP's case is different, he's not THAT tired, he's a bit hurt). Considering how healthy Manu's looking so far and having in mind that he played 25 minutes against the flakers coz of foul trouble. I would burn Dice, Manu, RJ, Hill and Mason tonight and try to get a win.

My Fault
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
The injury threat is overblown, just keep the big 3 around 25-30 mins each and there should be no problems.

Reasons to play for the win.

1. Spurs are #3 in the west right now, thunder #6, already very close to a 1st round matchup.

2. They have had problems with the thunder; the thunder already have a pyschological advantage vs the spurs, this needs to be squelched.

3. The spurs should try to keep the momentum going, because they have a chance at a higher than #3 seed. It's defenitely possible, especially with the lakers struggling w/ Gasol out. Home court advantage is a BIG advantage in the playoffs and worth making the extra effort.

4. Spurs lose this game, and it reinforces that they are having problems with
+.500 teams. This could be psychologically damaging as well.

5. There gonna be more B2B's, 10 more in all. You planning on losing those too?
I don't plan on losing anything as I'm not any part of the Spurs team, so my opinion and yours means nothing and will not change a thing. Psychologically damaging? I doubt anyone on the Spurs worries about. The entire Spurs team for the most part are vets and have been there done that. No team is gonna go out planning on losing :rolleyes you have to be an idiot to think otherwise. At the same time why would they go all out on a game that means little to nothing?

Obstructed_View
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I just hope Pop learned from the dismal failure that was his "rest the starters during the first quarter" debacle. If you want to rest guys, then tell them to put the game out of reach.

Tonight's game is just as important as last night's game. If you want to manage minutes, I'm sure Blair and Mahinmi are well rested.

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I want to see the normal rotation but with less minutes for the Big 3

Chieflion
01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
None of the options actually describe I want. The Spurs do need this win. There is no need to break all momentum by losing to the Thunder again. That will make us 1 for 8 against the Northwest division or something, a lone win against lowly Minnesota. Go figure. The minutes of the big three needs to be slashed. Play RJ a little more and match athletic ability by pushing Haislip and Ian to the fire.

Josepatches_
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM

For me that doesn't have any sense.

If you put TD and TP on the court is to win the game even if they have to play 32+ minutes like always.

If they play 20 minutes it couldn't be enough so then it's better to sit them all the game.They could made an effort to play for nothing.IMO that's worse.There is not a big difference playing 24 or 32 minutes for them but it's a big difference for the team.

Stupid to put them "some minutes".They have to play like one more game or not to play.

TinTin
01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Give Mahinmi some burn...