PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: The New Realities of Tony Parker

Blackjack
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
The New Realities of Tony Parker
by Jesse Blanchard

A win over the Lakers is a win over the Lakers. Blowing out the purple and gold, even without the services of Pau Gasol and a fourth quarter without Kobe Bryant (back spasms), should be enough to put a smile on any Spurs fan’s face. But the morning also comes with sobering news.

Last week in a piece exploring Parker’s role on the team (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/08/whats-the-point-parker-must-lead-the-spurs-in-his-own-way/) I stated the Spurs troubles were not their point guard’s style of play, but rather his inability to play like himself (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/david_aldridge/01/11/morning.tip0111/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1). Last night Jeff McDonald from the Express-News confirmed my suspicions of an injury.

Tony Parker has plantar fasciitis (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Parker_has_plantar_fasciitis.html).

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/13/the-new-realities-of-tony-parker/)

wildbill2u
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
The further reality is that we don't really have anyone behind George Hill at point if Tony has to miss a game or two. Finley. Bogans and Roger can't do an adequate job as PG in my opinion.

Sure, Manu can ably fill in as a point, but how many positions can he play at one time.

EricB
01-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Mason and ginobili have proven this year they can run the point well.

xtremesteven33
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM

:lmao

Bukefal
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Guys, the situation is still the same as it was yesterday or the day before, the only thing is, we now have a name for it. the plantar fascilitis. So now there is a name, we all start to panic and look for other options. Well, Parker is still going to play, and still does well I think, so its just the same, maybe he can rest a bit, but he is still going to play all the time and try to do his best.

We shouldnt panic all of a sudden, when we have a name for it, it didnt change anything really. The season is not over, we are not done, Parker is not done.

xtremesteven33
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Theres a difference in being playmakers and a point guard. Totally different task...

kace
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
did that article from 48 MoH was brought to the forum:

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/08/whats-the-point-parker-must-lead-the-spurs-in-his-own-way/

it's just the perfect answer to all the fans bashing TP for not being a pass first PG. Excellent. did i miss it in the forum ?

EricB
01-13-2010, 02:11 PM

:rolleyes

Brazil
01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
did that article from 48 MoH was brought to the forum:

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/08/whats-the-point-parker-must-lead-the-spurs-in-his-own-way/

it's just the perfect answer to all the fans bashing TP for not being a pass first PG. Excellent. did i miss it in the forum ?

yes already posted and discussed but as I'm no D228 you won't have the paste of the thread link :lol

kace
01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
yes already posted and discussed but as I'm no D228 you won't have the paste of the thread link :lol

i would say you're lazy if i wasn't firstly by not searching myself:lol

i guess i'll have to find it now....

Blackjack
01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
i would say you're lazy if i wasn't firstly by not searching myself:lol

i guess i'll have to find it now....

Here you go (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143787).

ffadicted
01-13-2010, 04:42 PM

ummm... have you been watching the games this year? Ginobili is doing his best steve nash impression on the court night-in-night-out

Muser
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Manu could be the emergency PG, No to Mason though.

DAF86
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Can somebody tell me please if rest helps to heal this injury or not (I've heard both sides of the story). If it does I wouldn't think it twice, rest Tony as long as he needs it.

Brazil
01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Can somebody tell me please if rest helps to heal this injury or not (I've heard both sides of the story). If it does I wouldn't think it twice, rest Tony as long as he needs it.

resting help but to heal totaly you need at least 2 months off

SenorSpur
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
If TP had a sprained ankle, the Spurs would have to shut him down until it healed. I don't think this situation should be any different. While there are no guarantees, it may be better to shut him down completely for 4-6 weeks. Perhaps this would increase the likelihood that he will be ready for the playoffs.

dbestpro
01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Manu could be the emergency PG, No to Mason though.

Manu can play PG as long as you don't tell him he's playing PG.

Bukefal
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
resting help but to heal totaly you need at least 2 months off

Even more than 2 months, these things can take up to more than a year to be completely healed. So resting for so long doesnt make sense.

He should just find a way to adjust to his injury and not force it. Plus stretching.

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Too many people here get caught up with the "PG" label..

Manu has done a great job at being our playmaker this season..he can easily fill in the role of playmaker while having Mason/Hill/RJ playing the scoring wings with him..

Tony's a great player, but he hasn't been too good at playing the "pure PG" role this year..our offense doesn't rely on this IMO, we haven't needed one with this core..so I don't know why everybody panics so much when it comes to the PG position..

We obviously need Tony in the long run, but we won't be too bad if he rests IMO..it's worth it at the end, I'd rather have him healthier for the playoffs and have a worse seed..

kace
01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Here you go (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143787).

i had already found it by myself but thanks.

i can't help but notice the very low amount of posts this thread had.

Amazing considering how well it described one of the most important part of our team game plan: tony needs to be very aggressive and play like he knows.

Pop saying again and again over the years that that's what he wants from tony never prevented some "fans" (haters) to label him as selfish, but with this well-explained article, you could always hope some would understand it (if they want to).

igruex
01-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Agreed on Manu, but Mase's not even trying to run the point.

We're seeing a lot of Hill running the point while Manu's in charge of the play making. It's working fantastic so far.

Blackjack
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
i had already found it by myself but thanks.

i can't help but notice the very low amount of posts this thread had.

Amazing considering how well it described one of the most important part of our team game plan: tony needs to be very aggressive and play like he knows.

Pop saying again and again over the years that that's what he wants from tony never prevented some "fans" (haters) to label him as selfish, but with this well-explained article, you could always hope some would understand it (if they want to).

I've written some long-winded posts about it before but to put it as succinctly as I can:

Tony plays a certain way that makes him special. He's not the prototypical point-guard or someone you zero in on when thinking of a player you want to build around. Having said that, he is a special player. The Spurs were fortunate to land him with a late first-round pick and, preventing themselves from looking like fools, they did everything to nurture, harness and compliment the talent they had been gifted.

Tony trying to be John Stockton or Jason Kidd would net a very mediocre player. When Tony Parker is Tony Parker, he's special; you can figure out which one the Spurs wish to have..

MannyIsGod
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
If TP had a sprained ankle, the Spurs would have to shut him down until it healed. I don't think this situation should be any different. While there are no guarantees, it may be better to shut him down completely for 4-6 weeks. Perhaps this would increase the likelihood that he will be ready for the playoffs.

Shutting down Parker for 6 weeks isn't a great option for many reasons.

1) No guarantee that the PF will heal in that amount of time. The moment he steps foot back on the course it could flare up again.

2) The team is just barely starting to gel and removing Parker for that amount of time sets them back a great degree.

3) You may not even get homecourt in the first round if you do that. They've already given up a large amount of games in the early season and side lining Parker for an extended period of time will do more harm to that record.

Parker with PF is going to be a reality for the rest of the season so Spurs fans should get used to it.

Bukefal
01-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Despite his plantar fascitiis, it isnt necessary to panic and think its all over. Just like I said, everything is the same but now because we have a name for it, pf, everyone found a reason to blame and to panic. But the situation is the same besides, despite this pf, he is still doing a pretty good job in his performances over the last games, it seems TP is getting more and more back to what he was, TP is slowly being TP again over the recent games, what we are used from him.

Its a good thing, he is getting back and he still works his ass off. Instead of panicking and hating, we should give the guy some props, and also be happy that his recent games show that he is getting back. He looks tired and is tired, but by his numbers recently it seems he is getting back, compared to how he started the season.

ducks
01-14-2010, 09:40 AM
duncan had it and really resting for 3 months is about the only thing that will be gone

polandprzem
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
With Gino playmaking and Hill taking PG responsibilieties with Mase breaking some point in the past and with spurs offense where you do not need a real point guard I thinik we can take the risk and sit parker here and there

Dex
01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
One thing that Elliott mentioned last night during the broadcast: He said Tony had commented that his plantar fasciitis has "gotten better over the last month".

Sean had the same reaction I did, as in "how long have you been dealing with this?" If this is an injury that has plagued Tony all season, then it's easy to explain his dip in production.

However, Tony has definitely been regaining his step in the past month or so, and hopefully that's a good sign of things to come. As others have said, plantar fasciitis can vary from person to person, and maybe he'll actually be able to handle it without missing significant time.

As he showed last night, he's still capable of putting up big games. Now he just needs to bring that more consistently.