PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: A Quiet Night for DeJuan Blair

Blackjack
01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
A Quiet Night for DeJuan Blair (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/13/a-quiet-night-for-dejuan-blair/)
by Andrew A. McNeil

DeJuan Blair started for the Spurs last night against the Los Angeles Lakers. He finished it too. In between? Nada.

Blair played the first five minutes of the game before being substituted for Antonio McDyess. He didn’t step on the floor again until there were just a couple of minutes remaining in the fourth quarter and the final score was just a formality.

I made a little prediction pre-game (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/12/lakers-nothing-more-needs-to-be-said/) that there was a chance that Blair wouldn’t play a lot against the Lakers. Coach Popovich tends to lean on older players more in big games, and I thought that Theo Ratliff might see more time as a result.

Ratliff played in the second quarter but only totaled four minutes for the game. Instead, the Spurs used a combination of Antonio McDyess and Richard Jefferson at the four position, with excellent results. Lakers starting power forward Lamar Odom scored just 10 points on 2-6 shooting and was practically a ghost for the majority of the game.

But back to Blair. With Coach Pop’s tendency to favor vets, and Blair’s propensity to get into foul trouble, I thought his minutes would be limited in this game. Seven minutes was more limited than I expected, though.

At 7-foot, 280 pounds, Andrew Bynum is simply too big for Blair to guard, even with Blair’s knack for playing bigger than he looks. And DeJuan’s inexperience at guarding more perimeter-oriented bigs like Odom and Ron Artest meant he could easily end up in foul trouble early in the game.

With those things going against him, Coach Pop probably felt more comfortable going with a veteran front court and resting Blair for tonight’s game against the youthful and energetic Oklahoma City Thunder. Given the final result, it’s hard to argue.

Jefferson and McDyess were fantastic on defense and George Hill and Manu Ginobili each spent time guarding Artest. Even Ratliff played a solid four-minute stretch for San Antonio. With a 20-point win over the best team in the NBA, there is no second guessing Blair’s extended time on the padded seats of the AT&T Center on Tuesday night.

It just wasn’t your game, rook.

Obstructed_View
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I agree with the experience argument, but I'm not too sure about the size argument. Blair's gonna get burn against the Lakers later on in the season, and is going to get a turn guarding Odom and Bynum.

Spursmania
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Thank Blackjack. Love these articles. :toast

I think we will see a lot more Blair tonight and Ian.

wildbill2u
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Some folks are going to argue that Blair is like Malik Rose who played against Shaq on occasion. True, but Malik was a little taller and had more league experience when he was called upon to guard Shaq.

On the other hand I see Blair as somewhat more energetic and with an innate sense of how to play against other bigs through positioning and blocking out on offense. And he has wonderful hands.

But energy and his rookie skills only go so far. The race doesn't always go to the swift nor the battle to the strong...but you should always bet that way.

EricB
01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Blair can body up and guard bynum.

Hooks
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Craig Smith (Similar height and body type) was abusing Odom the last time I saw the Lakers playing the Clips, I think Blair should come off the bench when we play teams like LA and Dallas.