PDA

View Full Version : Game Primer: Spurs @ Thunder - Jan. 13

timvp
01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
A day after toppling the Los Angeles Lakers, the San Antonio Spurs go out on the road to play the Oklahoma City Thunder in a game that promises to entertain. The up-and-coming Thunder were built using the Spurs model and they measure themselves in these matchups. The Spurs will have to play a good ballgame to come out victorious.

Keys to a Spurs Victory

1. Energy. The Spurs will likely have some fatigue, especially Tim Duncan who played 40 minutes against the Lakers. Pop needs to balance finding a lineup that is energetic with putting together a rotation that will allow for enough rest. Energy is especially important against this young Thunder squad.

2. Defending Kevin Durant. The Thunder's best player is turning into a superstar before our eyes. He's a long, tall fellow who's a born scorer. George Hill had some success against Durant earlier in the year; perhaps that matchup is worth investigating again.

3. Protect the rim. In recent games against the Spurs, the Thunder have thrown down seemingly dozens of dunks. Their quick, athletic jumping beans get in the lane quickly, so it's mandatory to make protecting the rim a priority. Limiting the dunks will also help keep the crowd out of the game.

Matchup to Watch

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg vs. http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4141.jpg

With Tony Parker dealing with plantar fasciitis, you can count on the Thunder using Thabo Sefolosha against Parker for long stretches. Sefolosha has had success in the past against Parker by using his length to turn the Spurs point guard into a jump shooter. A slowed version of Parker could have loads of trouble trying to go up against one of the most underrated defenders in the NBA.

Inside the Numbers

Kevin Durant is averaging 32.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game in his last 11 outings, while shooting 57.4% from the field and hitting 93-of-109 free throw attempts. He's on fire, to say the least.

Did You Know?

The Spurs have lost three of their last four games against the Thunder. Prior to this streak, the Spurs had beaten the Thunder/Sonics eight out of the previous nine matchups.

Buddy Holly
01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Ian! Ian! Ian!

duncan228
01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Kevin Durant is averaging 32.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game in his last 11 outings, while shooting 57.4% from the field and hitting 93-of-109 free throw attempts. He's on fire, to say the least.

Nice piece on Durant.

That's Durant with a capital 'D' (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/britt_robson/01/12/durant.defense/index.html)
Britt Robson
SI.com

Story Highlights
* Thunder forward Kevin Durant was a poor defender his first two NBA seasons
* By any measure, Durant has made a dramatic improvement on D this season
* Oklahoma City has built a winning record on the strength of its defense

dbestpro
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I can't help but think that in 2012 Durant will want to come home to Texas. We can call it the 2012 plan.

Muser
01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Inside the Numbers

Holy Shit :wow

HarlemHeat37
01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
We just have trouble with this team in general..their athleticism really bothers the Spurs..it's always different guys too..sometimes Durant has been their #1 against us, sometimes Westbrook dominates us, sometimes Green..they've had random role players step up and have great stretches against us..it's tough against them..

I would REALLY like to see Mahinmi and Hairston play in this game, but I would settle for 1 of the 2..a Mahinmi vs. Ibaka matchup would be nice to see IMO..I think this would be a perfect time to try out our young athletes..

Libri
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Holy Shit :wow

Yup, the dude has game.

Chieflion
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I have stated before that Jeff Green will always be the one that screws up the Spurs defense because we don't have the personnel to guard the athletic tweener 3/4s like him and Beasley. Jeff Green will get his unless Dice is even mobile.

007nites
01-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I have stated before that Jeff Green will always be the one that screws up the Spurs defense because we don't have the personnel to guard the athletic tweener 3/4s like him and Beasley. Jeff Green will get his unless Dice is even mobile.

Jeff Green hasn't been playing well recently. I think we can shut him down.

urunobili
01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I hope to see some Haislip against this very athletic team...

If TD doesn't suit up for the game and Ian gets into foul trouble we'll may be able to see some... :)

Chieflion
01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Jeff Green hasn't been playing well recently. I think we can shut him down.
The one thing on Green is that he is inconsistent and takes too many unnecessary jumpers, if he gets to attack the rim, we are in trouble.

Spurs Brazil
01-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I want to see a good D on Westbrook. He always plays well against us

ElNono
01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Who do you put on Durant? Obviously size is an issue... Do you go with RJ on him?

bigdog
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Interesting matchup without Timmy. Since RJ is starting at the 4, who would be starting in his place? I expect Hairston to be activated, unless Finley is playing today.

Solid D
01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
This game smells of major fail for San Antonio.

Rise-above, Spurs. Rise above.

TIMMYD!
01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
This game smells of major fail for San Antonio.

Rise-above, Spurs. Rise above.

I agree, this is going to be a close one.

Refocus
01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I can't help but think that in 2012 Durant will want to come home to Texas. We can call it the 2012 plan.

I would love this so much, such a great player. :toast

Winehole23
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Nice piece on Durant.

That's Durant with a capital 'D' (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/britt_robson/01/12/durant.defense/index.html)
Thx for posting this.