PDA

View Full Version : Husband killed his wife by throwing TV remote at her head

Viva Las Espuelas
01-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I know this is old but being that wife bashing is the theme in the club.....

Husband who killed his wife by throwing TV remote at her head after cocaine binge is jailed for three years
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 2:07 AM on 19th December 2009

A husband who threw a TV remote control at his wife during a row saw her collapse dying after it hit her on the neck.
Electrical engineer Paul Harvey and his wife Gloria Laguna were unaware that she suffered from a congenital defect to an artery and could have died from a ‘trivial’ blow at any time.
Harvey, 46, admitted manslaughter and sat weeping in court as his barrister said that 48-year-old Miss Laguna’s death was comparable to the chances of winning the lottery.
But he was jailed for three years on Friday after the judge heard that the couple had been taking cocaine, and Harvey had a previous record for violence.
The Old Bailey was told that the pair had a petty argument while watching TV in March this year at their flat in Euston, north London.
Miss Laguna, a former U.S. diplomat who retained her maiden name following her marriage, was hit by the 4oz remote control device when Harvey threw it ‘in her general direction in a moment of pique and anger’.
At 11.15pm he dialled 999 and told the operator: ‘I threw the TV digital at her and hit her on the head.’
He later explained that his wife started screaming, talking ‘gibberish’ and then collapsed on the sofa.

'Flukey': Harvey slung a TV remote at his wife's head

Prosecutor Richard Whittam said: ‘It is clear to anyone the distress he was suffering at the time. He was crying and he remained in considerable distress, including pleading with her to recover.’
When paramedics arrived, Harvey said: ‘What have I done?’ and: ‘I think I have killed my wife. I threw a remote control at my wife’s head.’
Miss Laguna was taken to University College Hospital where it was discovered she had suffered a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage.
‘It was assessed that she was liable to deteriorate further and neurological intervention was not advised,’ said Mr Whittam. She was pronounced dead at 6.50am.’
Harvey was originally charged with murder but this was reduced to manslaughter.
Miss Laguna had worked at the U.S. consulate in India but gave up her job and moved to the UK after marrying Harvey in 2007. The court heard both Harvey and Miss Laguna had taken cocaine on the night of the incident.
Jonathan Goldberg QC, defending, said: ‘He is a rugby playing, beer-drinking, Alphaplus type of male and works in the building industry.
‘He is deeply ashamed and remorseful for the loss of his wife because she was a fine woman. It is sad to find two people, both educated, both respectable persons in society, indulging in cocaine.
‘If this case serves any use it may publicise the fact that these drugs are dangerous.’
Harvey, who was born in Glasgow and brought up in South Africa, has convictions for violence dating back to 1987 when he was given a suspended sentence for butting a police officer in the face.
In November 1994 he was fined £100 for smashing a pane of glass after missing his train at Radlett station in Hertfordshire. He was jailed for six months for assault in April 2002 after punching a man in the face at a party.
Judge Giles Forrester told him: ‘To throw a hard object such as a remote control device was irresponsible and dangerous.
‘The combined effect of drink and drugs is likely to have increased the anger you felt towards your wife.
‘Your previous record does you no credit. There is undoubtedly a streak of violence and anger in your personality. There is no doubt you have a problem with your temper.
‘Your crime coupled with the tragic circumstances has to be marked by an immediate custodial sentence. Of course no sentence can restore Gloria Laguna to life.’

Cyrano
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah, but is the remote OK?

PM5K
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
My remote cost way too much to throw it at someone.

The Reckoning
01-13-2010, 10:25 PM
now thats what you call a mute button

DMX7
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Now that's how you change the channel.

TacoCabanaFajitas
01-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Now that's how you change the channel.

That's how you...ummm remote...fuck I'm no good at this

L.I.T
01-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Bet he wishes he could hit rewind.

/Shows self out

Bukefal
01-14-2010, 07:50 AM

:lol

bus driver
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
only 3 years for killing his wife! WOW

Dr. Gonzo
01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Yew jess kent dew teengks like dettt....

Legally speaking, you are correct.

Chomag
01-14-2010, 11:16 AM
3 years for killing someone? Damn, a car thief get longer then that.

760Spursfan
01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
3 years for killing someone? Damn, a car thier get longer then that.

No shit and He will probably serve a little over a year.

mookie2001
01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
And now you know... the rest of the story?

Cry Havoc
01-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Two things immediately spring to mind:

What was she doing in range of the remote control? If he's in the living room, how did he hit her unless she's outside of the kitchen (which basically absolves him of responsibility, IMO)?

Secondly, why would you throw a remote at a woman's head? That's where they keep knowledge for how to make sandwiches and get beer!

phxspurfan
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Bet he wishes he could hit rewind.

/Shows self out

:lol