PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Popovich believes in Blair, and he doesn't

duncan228
01-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Popovich believes in Blair, and he doesn't (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2010/01/popovich-believes-in-blair-and.html)
By Buck Harvey

The last time an NBA rookie ended with at least 20 points and 20 rebounds, Avery Johnson had a message for him.

"We still need a little more," Johnson told Tim Duncan, after beating Phoenix in March of 1998.

Johnson laughed then. He was repeating an old John Lucas line.

A dozen years later, after DeJuan Blair powered to his own 20-20, the message changed.

Now Blair is the one who needs a little more -- playing time.

Gregg Popovich hasn't mishandled Blair. Rookies are notorious for being inconsistent, so Popovich's nightly plan has been sound. He starts Blair and sees what he is getting, and then he reacts.

Popovich reacted Wednesday like a guy who had won the lottery. "I'm going to take what he gave us tonight, and I don't know how he did it," Popovich told reporters in Oklahoma City. "I have no clue what his moves are. He's just a basketball player. He hustles his [tail] off, he's got a nose for the ball, he's got great hands and he does what you saw. We didn't teach him any of it. He brought it all with him."

Popovich shakes his head at his good luck. A lot of smart general managers passed on Blair last June, including Sam Presti, and because of that Popovich has a rare talent to plug into his rotation.

One aspect that was on display again in Oklahoma City: Blair's ability to get his 265 pounds into the air and finish.

But it was more than a play or two. Against the Thunder, a team without much bulk, Blair was an ideal counter. And after a remarkable stat line put together in only 31 minutes, it was Scott Brooks' turn to shake his head.

"I don't even know if Duncan could have done this tonight," the Oklahoma City coach said.

That's some statement. Here's another from Brooks: "Every shot in his mind is going to be a missed shot, an opportunity for him to get his team an extra possession. I played with (Charles) Barkley, and that's how he thought."

Popovich believes, too. But there's part of him that doesn't, because Popovich really doesn't know how Blair does it. The kid is too young and too short, and his skill set isn't conventional.

So can he be effective every night? At his height, won't he get lost against 7-footers? And if the other team goes small, can he defend on the perimeter?

These are the reasons Popovich doesn't stick with Blair for long on certain nights. These are the reasons Blair played eight minutes against the Mavericks and seven against the Lakers.

Asked Wednesday about officiating, Blair's response applies to Popovich, too. "I've got to earn my respect," he said.

------------------------

Antonio McDyess was also there the last time a rookie hit the 20-20 mark. Playing for Phoenix, he guarded Duncan.

------------------------

As for Manu Ginobili's hustling, diving, parallel-to-the-ground save and outrageous no-look pass to George Hill: There was a time when Ginobili would have turned the corner, elevated and simply scored the game-winner himself.

Sean Cagney
01-14-2010, 04:52 AM
As for Manu Ginobili's hustling, diving, parallel-to-the-ground save and outrageous no-look pass to George Hill: There was a time when Ginobili would have turned the corner, elevated and simply scored the game-winner himself.

I read all of that but this here nearly made me cry and made the article null :( Damn I miss those days there.

Danny.Zhu
01-14-2010, 05:29 AM
Antonio McDyess was also there the last time a rookie hit the 20-20 mark. Playing for Phoenix, he guarded Duncan.

Interesting.

Fabbs
01-14-2010, 10:15 AM
By Buck Harvey

Popovich reacted Wednesday like a guy who had won the lottery. "I'm going to take what he gave us tonight, and I don't know how he did it," Popovich told reporters in Oklahoma City. "I have no clue what his moves are. He's just a basketball player. He hustles his [tail] off, he's got a nose for the ball, he's got great hands and he does what you saw. We didn't teach him any of it. He brought it all with him."
points for honesty. :lol

Sausage
01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
There was a time when Ginobili would have turned the corner, elevated and simply scored the game-winner himself.

I read all of that but this here nearly made me cry and made the article null :( Damn I miss those days there.

Just be thankful the Spurs have so many playmakers and can all step up to take the big shot!

mudyez
01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
was I excited about us drafting blair? yes!

did I think, he is way overhyped especially on this board? yes sir!

was I wrong about the overhyping-part? damn, it really looks that way!

and I love it!

he wont be the duncan sucessor or anything like that, but he will help us a lot for the next 2 years, giving us a chance! after the duncan era, I like a core of Tony, Blair, Hill (maybe even some ian, splitter) as much as some of these young teams (portland, sonics) like theirs.

we really have been lucky to draft timmy, but its not like other temas coldnt have had tony, manu, blair! just another proof, that we have such a great organisation especially when it comes to drafting!

Marcus Bryant
01-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Pop doesn't know how to use Blair, but he actually plays him. That's how you know what you got and that's also how a young player develops.

Thankfully Blair hasn't gotten the Mahinmi/Udrih treatment, which stunts player development and leaves you with a player with little or no trade value. At least an athletic young bigman should garner some interest. Ugh.

hater
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
IMO Pop is using Blair pretty well.

At this point it's obvious he is gonna get killed vs. 7 footers and foul out in minutes vs. small ball.

ffadicted
01-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Get the fuck outta here

polandprzem
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Get the fuck outta here
:WTF ?

----------------------

To tell you the truth I do not know what to think about Blair? If he realy will be something once the defense will try to put some pressure on him.
He is slow undersized, so it's tought to put him anywhere on the court offensively and defensivly

rjv
01-14-2010, 11:04 AM
now it would be nice to see him get bigger minutes against the teams that we could actually see in the playoffs

vander
01-14-2010, 11:08 AM

let's not forget what led up to Manu needing to dive for that ball, manu not being able to get to the hoop on his drive, not even close to beating his defender, and leaving his feet without knowing what to do with the ball, on the most crucial possession in the game.

also he went 0-10

ffadicted
01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
now it would be nice to see him get bigger minutes against the teams that we could actually see in the playoffs

...... The Thunder are an extremely likely first round opponent right now lol

ElNono
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
let's not forget what led up to Manu needing to dive for that ball, manu not being able to get to the hoop on his drive, not even close to beating his defender, and leaving his feet without knowing what to do with the ball, on the most crucial possession in the game.

He was actually buying an easy layup for McDyess... Dice just didn't understand what Manu was doing, which was a constant throughout the game, I thought.

Manu looked for him at least 3 times last night with pretty good, quick passes, but Dice was always looking somewhere else... resulting in turnovers. Those are easy points for TD and Blair...

ffadicted
01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
He was actually buying an easy layup for McDyess... Dice just didn't understand what Manu was doing, which was a constant throughout the game, I thought.

Manu looked for him at least 3 times last night with pretty good, quick passes, but Dice was always looking somewhere else... resulting in turnovers. Those are easy points for TD and Blair...

I think McDyess just hasn't realized that Manu is becoming more and more of a playmaker in his old days. Hopefully he understands he's playing with Steve Nash by playoff time lol

ElNono
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I think McDyess just hasn't realized that Manu is becoming more and more of a playmaker in his old days. Hopefully he understands he's playing with Steve Nash by playoff time lol

I also think Manu is used to playing with Duncan, who has one of the better hands in the game... so you can always throw a fastball, but not everyone will catch them...

dbestpro
01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Blair heard Ian's foot steps. Time to pick it up a notch and boy did he. Maybe Ian is good to have around to remind the big boys that there is someone in the wings just chomping at the bit.

SpurNation
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM

What a luxury to have. A player that can make things happen with pure instinct and determination. Is it any wonder that he and Ginobili work so well together?

timvp
01-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Weird title of the article by Buck . . .

phxspurfan
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Weird title of the article by Buck . . .

How so?

Muser
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
"Popovich believes in Blair, and he doesn't"

Doesn't what?

timvp
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
How so?Following the comma.

symple19
01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Blair will have his ups and downs, but at the end of the tunnel I still continue to believe he will become a consistent double-double guy.

EricB
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
If he didn't believe in him he wouldn't have relied on him as heavily as he did

Fabbs
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
If he didn't believe in him he wouldn't have relied on him as heavily as he did
But the nights he played him low minutes, he didn't believe in him.

Pop. He's won 4 titles you know.

EricB
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
But the nights he played him low minutes, he didn't believe in him.

Pop. He's won 4 titles you know.

Foul trouble had nothing to do with that right?

The Truth #6
01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Ultimately, I think Pop is paying him a high compliment. I can't tell if he's hyperbolizing when he says he doesn't understand him and doesn't teach him anything, which makes me wonder how they treat the typical rookie as far as coaching.

It's interesting that they've decided to not try and change his game and basically let him be. It's an experiment that Pop is playing and as the results keep coming back positive he'll definitely get more opportunities when they are appropriate.

EricB
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Not teaching him anything in the sense of rebounding position and fundementals I think.

Pop will roll with young guys if they produce IE Manu his rookie year.

ElNono
01-14-2010, 01:05 PM

He finished with 3 fouls against the Mavs and ZERO fouls against the Lakers...
So yeah, foul trouble had nothing to do with it...

Fabbs
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by EricB

Oh TParkle, you try don't you? :lol

10-2 with BlairMaster owning the paint.

I'm still waiting for an answer:
Model(s) wanted for Spurs cause
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140272&highlight=Models+Wanted

SpuronyourFace
01-14-2010, 01:43 PM
was I excited about us drafting blair? yes!

did I think, he is way overhyped especially on this board? yes sir!

was I wrong about the overhyping-part? damn, it really looks that way!

and I love it!

he wont be the duncan sucessor or anything like that, but he will help us a lot for the next 2 years, giving us a chance! after the duncan era, I like a core of Tony, Blair, Hill (maybe even some ian, splitter) as much as some of these young teams (portland, sonics) like theirs.

we really have been lucky to draft timmy, but its not like other temas coldnt have had tony, manu, blair! just another proof, that we have such a great organisation especially when it comes to drafting!

Don't forget about Tiago Splitter aswell. That is unless we give him the Scola treatment :depressed

ginobilized
01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Blair must've read some posts on this forum about him hitting the rookie wall. Looks like he hit it last night and it crumbled.

EricB
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM

So playing with no energy dumb turnovers and missed point blank shots aren't reasons either?

Uh the mavericks game he was in foul trouble his two quick fouls pretty much knocked him out of the game.

ElNono
01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
So playing with no energy dumb turnovers and missed point blank shots aren't reasons either?

Are you talking about McDyess or Blair? This is besides the point anyways...

Uh the mavericks game he was in foul trouble his two quick fouls pretty much knocked him out of the game.

Didn't knock Dice out of the game who also had two quick fouls...

TheSullyMonster
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Not teaching him anything in the sense of rebounding position and fundementals I think.

Pop will roll with young guys if they produce IE Manu his rookie year.

Manu was 25 his rookie year.

GSH
01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
That wasn't the end of the interview with Popovich. I don't have an exact quote, but he went on to say something to the effect of "He has a great future ahead of him. Hopefully - if we don't screw him up." Then with that ironic grin on his face, he said, "You know, teach him some moves? Then he won't do any of the things he does now."

At first I was disappointed that he didn't just come out and say that Blair had an incredible game, etc. It sort of sounded like he was trying not to be too complimentary. Sort of like, "Yeah he does some good things, but he does them the wrong way." But after that last comment it sounded more like the way he used to shake his head when talking about Manu.

timvp
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I really like how Pop is dealing with Blair so far this year. Putting Blair in the starting lineup forces Pop to give Blair minutes no matter what. More importantly, Pop is really being fierce with Blair and demanding perfection. In other words, Pop is giving Blair the Tony Parker treatment.

If Blair makes a mistake, he gets yanked, yelled at and put back in. That type of coaching helped Parker grow quicker and Blair seems to be in the same mold in that he can take the criticism. Instead of pouting, Blair just plays harder and learns from his mistakes.

EricB
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Manu was 25 his rookie year.

Doesn't matter. Manu was still an unproven NBA rookie.

temujin
01-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Doesn't matter. Manu was still an unproven NBA rookie.

Manu was a basketball god at 24.
At 22 and unknown he had Sasha Danilovic retiring after the first PRACTICE together with Virtus.
He got ME interested in basketball again, well before he went to the NBA.

Obstructed_View
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm just thanking lucky stars that a lottery talent rookie dropped to the second round for the Spurs to pick up and help erase all the apparent fail from the Spurs' attempt to build a championship contender this year with Peter Holt's money.

siraulo23
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
does anyone have the full postgame quotes from pop and spurs players?

exstatic
01-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Blair heard Ian's foot steps. Time to pick it up a notch and boy did he. Maybe Ian is good to have around to remind the big boys that there is someone in the wings just chomping at the bit.

:lmao Ian will never be 35% of the player that Blair is. He's an incredible athlete that has little or no idea how to play basketball. Blair is a basketball player who lives and breathes in the paint.

TJastal
01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
:lmao Ian will never be 35% of the player that Blair is. He's an incredible athlete that has little or no idea how to play basketball. Blair is a basketball player who lives and breathes in the paint.

So 15 pts / 9 rebs in 20 minutes in his first action in 2 years was a fluke?

The Truth #6
01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm just thanking lucky stars that a lottery talent rookie dropped to the second round for the Spurs to pick up and help erase all the apparent fail from the Spurs' attempt to build a championship contender this year with Peter Holt's money.

In fairness, Holt wasn't hoping for Parker to come into camp as a ghost of his former self. A lot of the early bumps were blamed on Jefferson when in fact Parker was the one also making a huge adjustment, as he was trying to adapt to playing injured, which, in my opinion, was a big factor in the team playing like crap early on. I still don't think we know the true potential of this team.

But I agree that Blair was a godsend and (not sure if you implied it) that Dice has been a letdown except for a few games here and there.

Capt Bringdown
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
He starts Blair and sees what he is getting, and then he reacts.

Frustrating. Especially when you look at Pop's love affair with players like Finley and Bonner. Those guys are allowed to play through their mistakes (which most often only leads to even more mistakes), while other players get singled out for Pop's special emo micromanagement treatment.

Player development and sound rotation strategy hasn't been Pop's strength the last few years, and it's hurting up big time.

elbamba
01-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I also think Manu is used to playing with Duncan, who has one of the better hands in the game... so you can always throw a fastball, but not everyone will catch them...

In praise of Blair I would also say he has Duncan like hands. He does not fumble a lot of the passes that our past bigs have done. That is why guys like Nazi and Elson didn't dunk 5-6 times a game.

exstatic
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
So 15 pts / 9 rebs in 20 minutes in his first action in 2 years was a fluke?

Not when it's against the WORST fucking team in the NBA. That's what he's got? 15/9? Call me when he drops 28/21 on a playoff caliber team. Forget that. Ian's NEVER going to get 20 rebounds.

LongtimeSpursFan
01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I really like when Manu and Blair are on the floor at the same time and Manu is running the point. Blair seem wide-eyed everytime he either set a pic or slipped the screen for Manu. There was a stretch in 3rd and 4th quarter where every posession something positive happened between those two.
Blair looks a little confused on what to do with Parker or Hill has the ball.

Manufan909
01-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Not when it's against the WORST fucking team in the NBA. That's what he's got? 15/9? Call me when he drops 28/21 on a playoff caliber team. Forget that. Ian's NEVER going to get 20 rebounds.

Indeed. I don't agree about the Ian never getting 20 boards part, but I bet he won't have done that in his first REAL FIVE YEARS in the NBA. What'd it take Blair, 5 months? And against a team with 6 more Ws than losses. Ian only had his statline against a team that was 3-35 or some shit.

ducks
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
they are teaching blair how to shoot free throws
but not rebound good

007nites
01-15-2010, 05:16 AM
I really like when Manu and Blair are on the floor at the same time and Manu is running the point. Blair seem wide-eyed everytime he either set a pic or slipped the screen for Manu. There was a stretch in 3rd and 4th quarter where every posession something positive happened between those two.
Blair looks a little confused on what to do with Parker or Hill has the ball.

Parker and Hill never use Blair's screen.

SpurNation
01-15-2010, 06:57 AM

One of the best "basketball" players I personally ever saw and played against didn't even play basketball as his chosen sport. The guy could play lights out and demolish other players who had played the game all their life and had scholarships.

Blair reminds me of that type of player. He just knows how to get it done. A natural born player of the game blessed with ability that one just can't comprehend or phathom.

Pop has inteligently come to this realization and knows that if Blair is having one of those games he just needs to let him play. If he is struggling simply let him sit it out. Pop finally has another post player that allows Duncan to rest.

To me that's the best attribute that Blair brings to the team at this moment.

ajh18
01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
My impression of Pop has always been that he will only play rookies/young players if they force him to. I think he feels an obligation to older, more established players, to respect the years of work they have put in and not risk the success of someone who has proven themselves in favor of someone who hasn't yet. Kind of like buying flowers for your girlfriend of two years instead of your hot co-worker, because you respect and want to reward the time your girl has put into you more than the potential of the new girl.

Player like Blair, Manu, Parker, and a couple other flat out FORCE Pop to play them because they are so successful, and his criticism actually gets more out of them. Players who pout, or are inconsistent, he isnt willing to put in the time at the potential expense of a proven veteran's career. Do I think it costs us sometimes? Sure. But that's my impression.

In regards to Ian, I have always thought of him as very similar to Stromile Swift. Athletically gifted, not a great bball IQ, and raw. I frankly dont think a Swift clone would be that bad for this team, but oh well.

Agloco
01-15-2010, 10:54 AM

At this point it's obvious he is gonna get killed vs. 7 footers and foul out in minutes vs. small ball.

I've gotta agree here. But already I've seen much improvement in Blair's footwork and use of his hands. I think the ceiling for improvement on the defensive end is quite high. We are already seeing flashes with his weakside shot blocking abilities.

He was robbed against OKC, he didn't foul out of that game. With more PT, we will see the number of fouls called on him go down.

GSH
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Parker and Hill never use Blair's screen.

Blair doesn't set good picks - yet. He doesn't see the angles yet, and too often he positions himself where he really doesn't help. (Not all the time, obviously. Turn off the flame machines.) He's assertive enough down low, but he's sometimes pretty hesitant with the high pick.

Fab set great picks, on and off the ball. I don't think many people appreciated that enough. Thomas and McDyess both have a tendency to miss their spots a little, and then try to adjust at the last second. They both get called for a lot of moving screens. (And the ones off the ball rarely get called.) Those offensive turnover fouls have hurt us in some close games, not to mention getting a big into foul trouble unnecessarily.

I've wondered if Blair is a little hesitant setting up on screens because he doesn't want to pick up any of those cheap fouls, or if he just needs to develop that part of his game. Probably some of both. Either way, during that stretch in the OKC game Parker and Hill didn't use his screens because they weren't usable.

That high pick is a bit of an art form, and a lot of guys never put in the effort. I have no doubt Blair will imrove. But he has a lot to absorb right now, and he's doing a pretty impressive job for a rookie.

[Edit:] A lot of players just aren't very teachable. You can tell Blair isn't one of those guys just by watching him at the free throw line. It's one thing to practice a bunch of shots, but to make that much of a change in his stroke that quickly - he's a guy who will listen and learn. The stroke broke down a little under pressure at the end of the game, but that's expected. (It remided me of how much he improved from the beginning of the year, though.) By this time next year, it will be automatic and I would bet that he'll be shooting .750+ from the line. I also expect that he'll be setting better picks.

Agloco
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
See what happens when the Beast gets 30+ minutes? I think this is his first game with 30+ no?

Obstructed_View
01-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Okay, but we've got some time, since Ian will be wearing another team's jersey when he does it.

dbestpro
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Many rebounds by Blair are from his own missed shots. Your right, Ian would have to miss more of his shots to get to 20 rebounds like Blair.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Yep, Thabeet sure killed him last year when they matched up... :rolleyes

MemphisSpursFan
01-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't get to see many games, but Blair is starting to impress me... FWIW