PDA

View Full Version : A&M's Von Miller returning for senior season

rjv
01-14-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.aggiesports.com/football/A-amp-amp-M-s-Von-Miller-returning-for-senior-season

Texas A&M still needs a defensive coordinator, but at least whomever head coach Mike Sherman hires won't have to replace Von Miller.
A&M's first All-American in a decade announced Wednesday that he will return for his senior season.
"After careful consideration, and talking it over with my family, I have decided to forgo the 2010 NFL draft and return to Aggieland," Miller posted on Facebook. "Gig 'em ... 2010 Big 12 champs."
The deadline for underclassmen to declare is Friday.
"At the end of the day it was his decision to make," Miller's father, Von Miller Sr., said. "He's happy with it, and I'm happy for him."
On Tuesday night in College Station, Miller and his parents met with Sherman, who has been interviewing defensive coordinators to replace Joe Kines who retired after two seasons. Many believed Miller's decision to stay or go hinged on whom Sherman hired.
Miller's return will be an asset for the new coordinator, even though the Aggies ranked 105th in the country in total defense, allowing 426.3 yards per game. That effort contributed heavily to A&M's second straight losing season with the Aggies finishing at 6-7.
A&M's defense, which also lost defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt to Kansas, loses only two starters -- end Matt Moss and free safety Jordan Pugh.
"We've got most everyone coming back on defense, and I think we have some good recruits coming in," Miller said in a statement released from his home in DeSoto through A&M. "I have confidence in Coach Sherman, and I know we will have a great defensive staff. I am looking forward to having a good year."
The 6-foot-3, 240-pound Miller blossomed into an All-American last season by leading the nation in sacks with 17, just three off the school record held by Jacob Green. Miller had 3 1/2 sacks as a sophomore linebacker but was moved to the hybrid position of defensive end/linebacker where he primarily rushed the quarterback. He finished last season with 48 tackles, 21 1/2 of them for losses.
Miller was projected to be a second- or third-round draft pick by nfldraftbible.com if he had opted to come out this spring.
"This is just Von's third year since he played as a true freshman, so he is still young by NFL standards," Sherman said. "I believe he has a chance to make more improvement and increase his standing in the eyes of the NFL scouts. Von should be a preseason All-America candidate and has a chance for other honors and will definitely help our overall team."
More than 45 underclassmen already have declared for the upcoming draft.
"I appreciate Coach Sherman assisting me in gathering information and allowing me and my family a chance to make this decision," Miller said. "After careful consideration, I feel it is in my best interest to come back. It is important to me and my family to earn my degree from Texas A&M, and this will put me much closer to that goal. I can't leave A&M right now."
Miller's decision bucks a recent trend for Aggies.
Last year, running back Mike Goodson opted not to return and was drafted in the fourth round by Carolina. Two years ago, tight end Martellus Bennett left early and was drafted in the second round by Dallas. Sherman benefited as head coach of the Green Bay Packers when A&M wide receiver Robert Ferguson left a year early for the 2001 draft.

at least the ags will have one preseason all-american on the defensive side of the ball.

Doug Collins
01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Awesome.

Blake
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Texas A&M still needs a defensive coordinator, but at least whomever head coach Mike Sherman hires won't have to replace Von Miller.
A&M's first All-American in a decade announced Wednesday that he will return for his senior season.

holy shit.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 12:51 PM
beautiful

rjv
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
holy shit.

yeah, very sad indeed. they may actually have three or four next year so we will not know what to do with ourselves.

Doug Collins
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
yeah, very sad indeed. they may actually have three or four next year so we will not know what to do with ourselves.

All on offense. I don't see Miller repeating this year's success, but it's a great opportunity for him to improve other areas of his game for the NFL. I'm excited to see what DC we bring in.

rjv
01-14-2010, 02:30 PM
All on offense. I don't see Miller repeating this year's success, but it's a great opportunity for him to improve other areas of his game for the NFL. I'm excited to see what DC we bring in.

completely on offense, though miller and dustin harris should be quite good on the defensive side of the ball.

Fpoonsie
01-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Thank Christ.

Thompson
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm glad he's coming back; I'm trying not to be overly optimistic, but I think we could have a pretty good season next year.

Who do y'all want as defensive coordinator? Current rumors include interviews of Air Force's Tim DeRuyter (he's done pretty well, they have the 10th ranked defense in the nation I believe, especially impressive given the recruits he has to work with) and Wilcox from Boise State.

I have to admit I know little about either except a few things I read in short articles.

rjv
01-20-2010, 11:59 AM
you really can not go wrong with either as a hire although i hear that deruyter is the leading candidate. nice change of pace from the old d.c.'s that they had been rescuing from the retirement home. they need some younger blood to come in and get the kids excited.

mookie2001
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
You can't go wrong with Tim Deruyter?

That's funny

leroyjenkins
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Report: A&M to hire Air Force DC
09:19 AM ET 01.20

Air Force defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter will be leaving the academy to become the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M, according to a source close to the situation.

Colorado Springs Gazette

coyotes_geek
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM

That's funny

Have you seen our defense lately? Right now A&M couldn't go wrong if they hired Tim Duncan as their DC.

leemajors
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Have you seen our defense lately? Right now A&M couldn't go wrong if they hired Tim Duncan as their DC.

pun alert

rjv
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM

That's funny

hey wal-mart ut fan, shouldn't you be getting checking the local academy stores for clearance UT 2010 national champs shirts?

Blake
01-20-2010, 05:03 PM
hey wal-mart ut fan, shouldn't you be getting checking the local academy stores for clearance UT 2010 national champs shirts?

I could be wrong, but I thought those shirts were headed to Haiti.

mookie2001
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM
2010 NC yet to be determined
Was I out of line rjv?

Sorry for the hurtful words

Cant_Be_Faded
01-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Von Miller overrated, Give me Sam Acho any day.

But he's definitely their best player on D. LOL noone wanting to be A&M's DC.