PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffin hire at USC is perfect -- for Oregon and Oregon State

tlongII
01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/01/canzano_lane_kiffin_hire_at_us.html

Bad hire? What in the world are you talking about? Lane Kiffin was the perfect hire. The University of Southern California athletic department couldn't have done it better when it came to filling the job of head football coach.

Count me among the believers that Kiffin to USC is a wonderful thing...

For the rest of the Pacific-10 Conference, that is.

Consider that the Trojans looked to Mike Riley, Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fisher and Steve Sarkisian, and none of them were interested. What I'm saying is, those guys are all better coaches than Kiffin and, also, smart enough to sniff out approaching NCAA sanctions. There are nine other conference members who should get busy sending thank you notes to that list because without them turning USC away, Kiffin doesn't get this job.

Oregon's chances of repeating in the Rose Bowl just got better. Oregon State just got a boost. So did everyone else who has struggled to get past the Trojans. In fact, a decade of national talk about the conference being best described as "USC and everyone else" just ended with everyone else catching up with a single hire. And if you see Rick Neuheisel at UCLA today, expect him to be giggling.

Remember, Kiffin is a 34-year old guy with a 12-21 record as a head coach. Same dolt who incorrectly accused Florida's Urban Meyer of cheating. Same guy who committed a brash string of NCAA secondary infractions and other absurd actions in 14 months of mediocre football at Tennessee.

His misdeeds ranged from improper use of social networking sites to the controversial use of female hostesses to lure recruits to staging a simulated news conference. Everytime he opened his mouth off the field, you cringed. His shining moment on the field? A two-point loss to Alabama.

Basically, he's a bozo with a headset.

Kiffin is linked to good times at USC because at one time he served as outgoing coach Pete Carroll's wide receivers coach, recruiting coordinator, and later offensive coordinator.

Its coincidentally true that as many as six coaches turned down USC before it eventually hired Carroll nine years ago. But take solace Ducks and Beavers fans, Kiffin is no Carroll.

Carroll brought seven conference championships, two national championships and three Heisman trophies to USC. He won 97 games in nine seasons at USC.

Nine seasons?

That's six jobs for Lane Kiffin.

There's been a shift in the power of the conference. It didn't happen when Carroll left for the Seahawks, it happened when Kiffin was named USC's new coach. I know that the Trojans get lots of talent and have amazing facilities, but something tells me Kiffin will figure out a way to muck that up. Those who hired him think USC will be the difference, and he'll turn his career path around, but anyone who studies the human condition will tell you that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

The rest of the Pac-10 Conference should be quietly pumping their fists and back slapping today. Oregon and Oregon State fans? There are few merry developments that you can share, and Kiffin to USC is one of them because it's left the Ducks and Beavers among those who have a chance to own the next decade in the conference.

When Kiffin accepted the USC job I called a beat reporter colleague who covered the coach when he was in Oakland.

The reporter said, "Might be the dumbest person ever put in charge of anything."

You want more Kiffin endorsements?

Ask the Pahokee (Fla.) Chamber of Commerce, which sent a letter to Tennessee asking for a public apology after Kiffin joked and made disparaging remarks about the possibility that someone at the high school might alter a recruit's letter of intent.

Ask Walter Wilson, the South Carolina high school coach of all-state wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, who said, "(Kiffin) told the player if you go to South Carolina you will end up pumping gas for the rest of your life like all the other players who went to South Carolina."

Ask one-time Kiffin employer and Raiders owner Al Davis, who said: "He's a flat out liar who is guilty of bringing disgrace to our organization."

Ask any of the state legislators in Tennessee who end almost every football season by passing a glowing resolution to honor the Volunteers football coach. You know, for all the hard work and success. Because after Kiffin's 7-6 season they voted unanimously, "No!"

Wonderful, yeah. Give the Kiffin hire your blessing, Oregon and Oregon State.

Then, get ready for another Civil War with the Rose Bowl on the line.

The Gemini Method
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
What? Make the Rose Bowl only to get beat by the likes of THE Ohio St. University? Grave times for the Pac-10 indeed...oh, and don't forget BYU taxing Oregon St. as well...

leemajors
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
I just don't see how dude keeps getting jobs. Interesting hire for a program that may be facing sanctions, to say the least.

Blake
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
What? Make the Rose Bowl only to get beat by the likes of THE Ohio St. University? Grave times for the Pac-10 indeed...oh, and don't forget BYU taxing Oregon St. as well...

oh, and don't forget that the Pac 10 #2 will start coming to the Alamo Bowl to get taxed by the #3 Big XII team.

symple19
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Kind of a homerish article, but I do agree with much that is said.

Lane can certainly develop into a solid gameday coach, IMO, but the character issues and off the field behavior are what will make or break Kiffin in SoCal.

The Gemini Method
01-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Kind of a homerish article, but I do agree with much that is said.

Lane can certainly develop into a solid gameday coach, IMO, but the character issues and off the field behavior are what will make or break Kiffin in SoCal.

I see this as his make or break moment. If he does well and keeps his demeanor away from controversy and continued banter, he'll have more opportunities in the future. I.E. Pete Carroll and his shot at redemption at the NFL. However, if Kiffin doesn't produce, and I'm going to be there to skin him alive if he doesn't, he'll probably never have a head coaching gig in either BCS football or the NFL.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
...these people, are going to be shocked.

Blake
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
for what it's worth on the Dan Patrick show this morning, Rick Nehuesuehel confirmed that Norm Chow is staying put at ucla.

The Gemini Method
01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
No donations from me if I'm disappointed...that's for sure lol.

Blake
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
...these people, are going to be shocked.

based on what?

The Gemini Method
01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
based on what?

Not much...

But its like you having hope Tubberville will succeed in Lubbock. It's sheer hope. No one knows if any of the new coaches will be better than their predecessors. I mean, it will take a monumental job by Kiffin to even touch what Pete Carroll accomplished in a decade, so perhaps fans like me should level off the expectations and just go along for the ride.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 01:08 PM
based on what?

a good coach and great assistants.

tlongII
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Kiffin's a tool. USC will be looking for another coach in 2 years.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Kiffin's a tool. USC will be looking for another coach in 2 years.

youre so negative.

Blake
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Not much...

But its like you having hope Tubberville will succeed in Lubbock. It's sheer hope. No one knows if any of the new coaches will be better than their predecessors. I mean, it will take a monumental job by Kiffin to even touch what Pete Carroll accomplished in a decade, so perhaps fans like me should level off the expectations and just go along for the ride.

It's really not much at all like having hope Tuberville will succeed in Lubbock. I can base my expectations on his past coaching performances at Auburn and even A&M.

Because of his short resume and his youth, you have nothing substantial to base your hope on with Kiffin.

Blake
01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
a good coach

based on what?

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
based on what?

he did well at USC, Oakland and UT.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
its obvious fans want to see USC suffer, thats fine...but no need to be delusional.

Blake
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM
he did well at USC

ok

Oakland

he was fired less than half way through the season, so no.

and UT.

7-6 at UTK and committing NCAA violations while calling other coaches cheaters is not doing well.

Of course, we've all come to expect ignorant posts from you, so it's really no surprise you think he's a good coach that's done well at all of these stops.

Blake
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
its obvious fans want to see USC suffer, thats fine...but no need to be delusional.

there's no need to be delusional, but you seem to have a desire for it.

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
ok

he was fired less than half way through the season, so no.

7-6 at UTK and committing NCAA violations while calling other coaches cheaters is not doing well.

Of course, we've all come to expect ignorant posts from you, so it's really no surprise you think he's a good coach that's done well at all of these stops.

do you know how many schools commit secondary violations?...plenty. plus, he was green in the ways of the NCAA. At Oakland, he was doing a good job, i don't care what Al thinks or did.

...what are you going to say when he does well at SC?

leemajors
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
do you know how many schools commit secondary violations?...plenty. Plus, he was green in the ways of the ncaa. At oakland, he was doing a good job, i don't care what al thinks or did.

...what are you going to say when he does well at sc?
4-12

IceColdBrewski
01-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Consider that the Trojans looked to Mike Riley, Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fisher and Steve Sarkisian, and none of them were interested.

According to Trojan fans at the wearesc boards, none of this ever happened. It was all just a smoke screen so they could concentrate on their real target. The great Lane Kiffin. :lol

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
According to Trojan fans at the wearesc boards, none of this ever happened. It was all just a smoke screen so they could concentrate on their real target. The great Lane Kiffin. :lol

well, i do believe that Sarkisian was never offered the job and i'm not sure about Del Rio or Jeff Fisher.

...i do know that pulling off what they did took some foresight, so to think they didn't offer it to as many people (as some believe) isn't hard to believe.

JMarkJohns
01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Riley should have been their top target from the get go. He seemingly had no real interest, but he was the best coach linked to the program.

Kiffin is a good hire. Not great, but certainly not so bad that other teams should rejoice. While Lane may not be a great X/Os guy yet, he's shown the ability to run a high powered offense and manage the talent USC brings in. Monty is a great X/Os guy and will run the defense. Kiffin and Orgeron are great recuiters, so the talent will be there, NCAA sanctions permitting.

While they may not have found a coach that brings everything to the table yet, he brings alot, and with the talent they have, it should be enough to challenge for a top-10 spot yearly, and a top-3 spot many years.

TheMime
01-14-2010, 07:51 PM

Ed Lover
01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
At Oakland, he was doing a good job, i don't care what Al thinks or did.

C'mon son!!

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
C'mon son!!

i understand, you let the media do all your thinking for you.

vander
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
this is going to be a tragic fall for USC,

10-2 is the new 12-0, they're going from perennial title contenders to Rose Bowl hopefuls, and they probably won't even get there very often.

another empire falls

Blake
09-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Lol

Blake
09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
do you know how many schools commit secondary violations?...plenty. plus, he was green in the ways of the NCAA. At Oakland, he was doing a good job, i don't care what Al thinks or did.

...what are you going to say when he does well at SC?

Lol delusional