PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs do this every season

Jacob1983
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
They start really shitty in the standings and have either a shitty record or a somewhat above .500 record. When January or February comes around, the Spurs start winning games all the time and eventually wind up in 1st or 2nd place in the conference and 1st place in the division. I hate this. As a Mavs' fan you can never buy into a Spurs' shitty start. You have to realize that the Spurs are not going to suck ass the whole season unless Duncan is out for the year and they're tanking to get a good draft pick. The Mavs need to stop fucking up and win like 10 games in a row because the Spurs are not going to be shitty anymore this season. Sorry, I had to vent.

antgomez2009
01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Well vented! lol, but really, its not the end for you guys! yea, the Spurs are slow starters, i would like them to be more consistent throughout the season, but if they Turn it up during the right times, i'd take that too!

Last year, they were iffy in the Second part of the season, they played good, but they needed to play great!! This year, hopefully their continue success as of late will carry on to the playoffs!! and beyond!! P.S. Dallas passed up on Blair too! oh and you got a player (S.Marion) that has one of the worst looking shots ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ElNono
01-14-2010, 03:39 PM
The ONLY thing thing the Spurs care about in the regular season is to win 50 games which guarantees they're in the playoffs... and obviously improve their game in the process.
The whole 72 win ecstasy is really meaningless if you're not at your best come playoff time...

Cry Havoc
01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
And every season, veterans of Spurstalk band together and try to talk cliffjumpers off the ledge.

It hardly ever works and we're overwhelmed by, "ALL IS LOST" and a bunch of whining QQ coming from young people or those with impossibly short memories.

This team still has work to do. They need a more consistent defensive effort through 4 quarters, and they need to stop going on massive scoring droughts.

I'd also like to see the team stop falling in love with the J when it's dropping. Last night we got hot from 15-20 feet out and stopped driving.

The stone hasn't cracked yet. A lot more striking is called for.

TheMACHINE
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
i agree....same old same old....then they'll fail in the playoffs.

Spursmania
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM

As if you all did any better from 2003-2008. lol... It's only been 2 years since our last Championship. 6 for you guys until 2009. Not sure how you can be so cocky.

You can't even beat the Blazers. But then again, we can't beat Dallas apparently.:lol

cheguevara
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM

and Bynum's knee will explode and Lakers will get raped by the Celts

Mel_13
01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
And every season, veterans of Spurstalk band together and try to talk cliffjumpers off the ledge.

It hardly ever works and we're overwhelmed by, "ALL IS LOST" and a bunch of whining QQ coming from young people or those with impossibly short memories.

This team still has work to do. They need a more consistent defensive effort through 4 quarters, and they need to stop going on massive scoring droughts.

I'd also like to see the team stop falling in love with the J when it's dropping. Last night we got hot from 15-20 feet out and stopped driving.

The stone hasn't cracked yet. A lot more striking is called for.

:lol

Andrew Bynum
01-14-2010, 06:04 PM

:lol Nice troll job, you got two retard spurfans panties all in a bunch.

Spurs are PRETENDERS.

nkdlunch
01-14-2010, 06:06 PM

:lmao

td4mvp21
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
We have an extrememly tough schedule the second half of the season. We will probably be playing better, but I am not sure if we can rack up enough wins to be second or third in the conference.

The Gemini Method
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM

As if KG's knee is holding up any better...

I would imagine that the SW division will be the race to watch in the West. Both teams have had some success in winning the division, but the Spurs probably are tougher mentally than the Mavs. It's going to be a good race though--may the more deserving team win it.

Spursmania
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
:lol Nice troll job, you got two retard spurfans panties all in a bunch.

Spurs are PRETENDERS.

Hey, learn how to play with Gasol, you selfish ass you.:lol

nkdlunch
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
We have an extrememly tough schedule the second half of the season. We will probably be playing better, but I am not sure if we can rack up enough wins to be second or third in the conference.

Lakers schedule looks even worse

Spursmania
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Doesn't matter. As long as we're healthy, we always have a shot. I think the Mavs and Denver will still end up with better records than us. Pop already said he is sitting out TD in most b2b's, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up 5th or 6th in the division.

ffadicted
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Broski, that was the greatest post I've ever seen, thank you for blessing me with it

Allanon
01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Unlike other years, I don't think the Spurs are playing better after a slow start. I think they're about the same as where they started with RJ still not effective and Bogans won't be Bowen.

They're going up in the rankings because the other teams are playing worse right now.

To me, this Spurs team is still not good and playing well below their potential considering they have 4 of the top 50 players in the NBA and two of the better rookies in the last 2 drafts.

nkdlunch
01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Unlike other years, I don't think the Spurs are playing better after a slow start. I think they're about the same as where they started with RJ still not effective and Bogans won't be Bowen.

They're going up in the rankings because the other teams are playing worse right now.

To me, this Spurs team is still not good and playing well below their potential considering they have 4 of the top 50 players in the NBA and two of the better rookies in the last 2 drafts.

I have watched every single game this season and Spurs have improved immensely since start of the season.

Spurs and Cavs are hottest teams in the league. Are you gonna say Cavs have not improve since start of the season? :sleep

Allanon
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I have watched every single game this season and Spurs have improved immensely since start of the season.

Spurs and Cavs are hottest teams in the league. Are you gonna say Cavs have not improve since start of the season? :sleep

The Cavs have improved quite a bit.

I don't think the Spurs have improved much since the start of the season. RJ/Manu are still mostly non-factors. And without improvements in RJ/Manu, I don't think the Spurs are a good team (ie. championship team). They still got waxed by the Mavs just a couple of days ago in San Antonio. That's the team that showed up in the Playoffs and lost 4-1 last year.

I think an analogy for he Spurs would be like the Spurs/Lakers game. They beat the Lakers by 20 points but the game was much closer than the score indicated.

01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
spurs are improving. definitely have not reached their full potential though. jefferson needs to play better defense but his offense is coming along. he's consistently pouring in 12-14 points of help. some chemistry issues still linger, pop still needs to carve out a role for blair, and finley and bonner have yet to come back (more 3 pt shooting in offense) but the only scary part is that the spurs can only get better (barring injuries). key is for them to step up defensively while not relinquishing their high powered offense.

01-14-2010, 07:15 PM

I don't think the Spurs have improved much since the start of the season. RJ/Manu are still mostly non-factors. And without improvements in RJ/Manu, I don't think the Spurs are a good team (ie. championship team). They still got waxed by the Mavs just a couple of days ago in San Antonio. That's the team that showed up in the Playoffs and lost 4-1 last year.

I think an analogy for he Spurs would be like the Spurs/Lakers game. They beat the Lakers by 20 points but the game was much closer than the score indicated.
manu may not be scoring much but he is definitely NOT a non factor. he is the glue holding everything together.

Allanon
01-14-2010, 07:16 PM
manu may not be scoring much but he is definitely NOT a non factor. he is the glue holding everything together.

He is indeed a glue guy.

But I think the Spurs need alot more from Manu to be a championship contender.

I think we are seeing 50% Manu compared to 2007 Manu.

nkdlunch
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't think the Spurs have improved much since the start of the season. RJ/Manu are still mostly non-factors.

And without improvements in RJ/Manu, I don't think the Spurs are a good team (ie. championship team). They still got waxed by the Mavs just a couple of days ago in San Antonio. That's the team that showed up in the Playoffs and lost 4-1 last year.

I agree Spurs are still not there. But saying they haven't improved a lot is a pretty ignorant statement.

BTW, I have been watching the Lakers and the lack of depth is gonna hurt them bigtime.

The favorites to win it all as of right now IMO:
1. Celtics
2. Cavs
3. Lakers/Spurs/Nuggets/Magic all on same level at this point

Allanon
01-14-2010, 07:49 PM

I agree Spurs are still not there. But saying they haven't improved a lot is a pretty ignorant statement.

BTW, I have been watching the Lakers and the lack of depth is gonna hurt them bigtime.

The favorites to win it all as of right now IMO:
1. Celtics
2. Cavs
3. Lakers/Spurs/Nuggets/Magic all on same level at this point

It depends on how you define improved.

Have the Spurs improved as a team? Yes.

Have the Spurs improved as a championship team? No. The Big 3 has become the Big 1 and a half. They aren't going anywhere without Manu and RJ.

As for the Lakers, I agree that they suck right now; but I'm sure they'll get back to the top of things.

ffadicted
01-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Manu (is) still mostly non-factor

Usually read your posts cuz you have great opinion, but you're misguided here man. The boxscore won't show it, but Manu has made all the right plays this year, he's playing great ball. Just going through a shooting slump is all, but his playmaking ability, intangibles and effort on both ends of the court are all off the charts right now.

TheMime
01-14-2010, 08:06 PM

alchemist
01-14-2010, 08:19 PM

Have the Spurs improved as a championship team? No. The Big 3 has become the Big 1 and a half. They aren't going anywhere without Manu and RJ.

As for the Lakers, I agree that they suck right now; but I'm sure they'll get back to the top of things.
I love this part, I wonder why you think the Lakers can improve but the Spurs can't :rolleyes

Allanon
01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Usually read your posts cuz you have great opinion, but you're misguided here man. The boxscore won't show it, but Manu has made all the right plays this year, he's playing great ball. Just going through a shooting slump is all, but his playmaking ability, intangibles and effort on both ends of the court are all off the charts right now.

Hi ffadicted. I'm not trying to put Manu down.

I'm saying Manu has to do even more for the Spurs. He needs to be like 2007 Manu for the Spurs to be successful. Making plays and the intagibles is great but he also has to make the other team fear him.

This is like my favorite player Lamar Odom. Lamar plays good most of the time but I consider him a non-factor unless he brings more to the table.

Allanon
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I love this part, I wonder why you think the Lakers can improve but the Spurs can't :rolleyes

Because the Lakers were playing great earlier. They're in a slump now. It makes sense that they'll get out of their slump.

But I have not seen a great game from the Spurs this year against a good team.

When was the last time you watched a Spurs game and thought, "damn, the Spurs played great tonight"?

all_heart
01-14-2010, 08:23 PM

I've watched every game this year and can honestly say the Spurs are getting better, they are not there yet, but are on the way. You should worry more about your Lakers and Kobe's insistence on playing hurt. He'll be lucky to be 75% come playoffs. Let's see what happens.

alchemist
01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Because the Lakers were playing great earlier. They're in a slump now. It makes sense that they'll get out of their slump.

But I have not seen a great game from the Spurs this year against a good team.

When was the last time you watched a Spurs game and thought, "damn, the Spurs played great tonight"?
They played great against weak opponents, Bynum can't play with Gasol this season. The Lakers have some questions to answer before you crown them anything.

Allanon
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
They played great against weak opponents, Bynum can't play with Gasol this season. The Lakers have some questions to answer before you crown them anything.

"They played great against weak opponents," That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why are you even disagreeing with me? :lol

When was the last time the Spurs played great against a good opponent? How is this any different from the beginning of the season?

As for the Lakers, they suck right now. But sure, Bynum can play with Gasol. He just doesn't play like an All Star when Gasol is around. Considering that the Lakers won last year without Bynum, it doesn't really matter.

DazedAndConfused
01-14-2010, 08:29 PM

No they really don't.

The defending champs don't have to answer any questions considering their core is basically the same minus Artest. All they need is their health.

They have the #1 record in the league, best pt. differential, best FG defense, best 3pt defense, and are the best rebounding team.

Phil Jackson knows how to pace his championship teams to a repeat championship. You obviously have no clue what it's like because your franchise has never come close to doing it.

mystargtr34
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Ill compare the Spurs from last season to this season in terms of Offense and Defense. Points scored and allowed per 100 possessions (adjusting for pace)

2008-2009

Offensive Efficiency - 108.5 (13th)
Defensive Efficiency - 104.3 (5th)

2009-2010

Offensive Efficiency - 111.4 (4th)
Defensive Efficiency - 104.3 (8th)

I can tell you that the defense for the first 15-20 games was ranked around 15th in the league this season. Its only recently they have started to go from a middle of the pack defensive team to a 8th in the league... and at this point the Spurs are only conceding 3 points per 100 posessions less than the Celtics who are the best defensive team in the league (albeit a few games without Garnett).

Offensively the team has alot more firepower than last season - and its showing. Even though RJ has underachieved for his standards, through his own fault and the team (him being too passive and the team not getting him enough shots) he has been very efficient... a tick under 50% shooting. He still takes too many jumpers and doesnt attack enough given his explosiveness but he is starting to take less and less jumpers and attack more. In his last 15 games he shooting something like 55% from the field. His athleticism has gotten the Spurs alot of easy baskets and hes a big reason why the Spurs have made such a big jump in terms of their offense, despite Parker not being anywhere near his level of last season (Plantar Fascitis).

So the defense is at the same level as last season which was already 5th best in the league, and still steadily improving - but the offense is levels above what it was last season.. which was the Spurs biggest problem throughout the season.

Allanon
01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
So the defense is at the same level as last season, but still rapidly improving - but the offense is levels above what it was last season.

Your numbers are good I'm sure, I won't even debate them.

I don't want to sound like a hater but the 2008/09 was a disappointing season for the Spurs. I don't think an improvement over 08/09 is an achievement.

I would look the numbers up myself but I don't know where you got them. Do you know how the Spurs would compare to their championship run in 2007?

ezau
01-14-2010, 09:04 PM

We were ahead the entire game, it was never close except when the Lakers made a rally in the third. Lakers meanwhile need to worry about health and oh, this Lakers team isn't as good as the Lakers team of last year.

Allanon
01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
We were ahead the entire, it was never close except when the Lakers made a rally in the third.

That's the problem right there. The Spurs should never have let the Lakers make a rally. I think it was Farmar that missed a shot that could have tied the game late in the 4th quarter. If you read the Spurs game thread, there was plenty of worry at that point in the game.

It should never have come to that.

As for the Lakers, yup they have plenty of problems right now, they lost like 4 road games in a row and even lost to the Clippas.

ezau
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
That's the problem right there. The Spurs should never have let the Lakers make a rally. I think it was Farmar that missed a shot that could have tied the game late in the 4th quarter. If you read the Spurs game thread, there was plenty of worry at that point in the game.

As for the Lakers, yup they have plenty of problems right now, they lost like 4 road games in a row and even lost to the Clippas.

That's one thing that the Spurs need to work on: taking care of the lead. Then again, they weren't playing against a non-contending team. They were against no less than the defending champs. Everybody knows that whether Kobe is in the game or not, the Lakers will make a rally no matter what. At the end of the day, the Spurs had enough poise and grit to douse whatever the Lakers were throwing at them.

Honestly, the Spurs have improved immensely over the past few months, but they still have a lot of work ahead of them.

anonoftheinternets
01-14-2010, 09:30 PM

ok i think this argument is completely misguided. Both parties are trying to predict unknowns. Which is how the spurs are going to play against better teams. Until now they sucked (actually they ahve been close and faltered down the strech due to poor execution, you can look up how many < 10 point games we have lost this year to good teams)

But spurfans have been watching small improvements in every game, that have not been evident to others. And we feel the spurs are bridging the difference between wins pouring in (like lakers who have been together and typically gut out these close games) and close losses.

Of course it is still conjecture, but i think its safe to say spurfan feels good aboutthis team, which has not been the case since the preseason.

all_heart
01-14-2010, 11:02 PM

Sure as Spurs fans we wanted to see them hold a good lead the entire game, but that's just basketball. Every team goes through it's highs and lows in a game. I think the difference lately is that the Spurs are not turning over the ball as much. Maybe its a combination of working through it and Pop doing more play calling. I really don't see why Kobe will sit himself out for a few games to get rid of his back spasms, I've had those before, it hurts like hell.

DAF86
01-14-2010, 11:09 PM

At no point of the 4th quarter the Lakers were a possesion away of tying the game.

the closest you got was 6 points

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=300112024&period=4

Allanon
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
At no point of the 4th quarter the Lakers were a possesion away of tying the game.

the closest you got was 6 points

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=300112024&period=4

6 points it was then. This was late in the 4th quarter.

I would consider that close for a game that was finally settled by 20 points.

I'm not trying to take anything from the Spurs win but the Lakers have been struggling for a few weeks as you guys have pointed out.

The Lakers have been sucking for a few weeks now, they shouldn't have been in that game late in the 4th.

TD 21
01-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Click up the Schumann article on NBA.com about over/under-achieving teams...essentially he says the Spurs have outplayed the Lakers this season and in the event that things continue down their current path (though admittedly, he doesn't necessarily endorse the notion that it will) the Spurs will take a run at the number one seed.

I'm not surprised. I thought the Lakers were overrated last season and even more overrated going into this season. Fisher is clearly on his last legs, similar to Horry in '08, where this has been evident for years, yet he always redeemed himself at some point in the playoffs, but it really looks like this year it's finally over for him. That weakness at the point combined the lack of depth and the amount of wear and tear/injuries piling up signals that this team is far more vulnerable than the overwhelming majority ever imagined they'd be.

Does Bryant have the gas to get to the finish line and consistently thrive when it matters most?

Can Bynum play well in tandem with Gasol and can Gasol stay healthy?

As a Spurs fan I've been encouraged by virtually everything that's gone on regarding the Lakers this season.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not surprised. I thought the Lakers were overrated last season and even more overrated going into this season.

Here's one fan that actually knows the truth. The Spurs should have a better record than the Lakers but they've been under-achieving.

I've been telling you all this same thing since summer and nobody believed me.

The Lakers aren't a great team. But playing with Kobe, they have been over-achieving.

Fisher wouldn't start on ANY championship team other than the Lakers. Gasoft, Odumb, "delusional" Ariza, Ron Ron...these guys were all losers before playing with Kobe.

But because they won a championship with Kobe, everybody is over-rating them and actually thinking the Lakers are "stacked" :lol

TD 21
01-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Here's one fan that actually knows the truth.

I've been telling you all this since summer and nobody believed me.

The Lakers aren't a great team. But playing with Kobe, they have been over-achieving.

Fisher wouldn't start on ANY championship team other than the Lakers. Gasoft, Odumb, Ariza, Ron Ron...these guys were all losers before playing with Kobe.

True, they're not a great "team", but they have one thing that make them the team they are: the poor man's version of the twin towers. Think about it, not many teams have a big man the caliber of Gasol, but no team has a second and third big man the quality of Bynum and Odom. Bryant is obviously their best player and an all-time great, but it's that second and third big that make the Lakers unique.

I actually somewhat want to see them pick it up. I don't want their vulnerabilities to become so glaring that it get's to the point where someone hands them a quality player or two at the deadline or they sign a guy like Stackhouse to help the bench. I want them to be lulled into thinking that they'll get healthy and that when they do, they're invincible. Because like I said, as a Spurs fan I'm encouraged by the ongoing developments of both teams.

The Spurs, as set in their ways as any team in the league, changed the majority of their roster. Plus, two of their three best players were coming off injury plagued seasons and did not play in the summer and they've never had to incorporate a scorer the caliber of Jefferson. Simply put: they needed time. Have they underachieved? On paper, yes, but if you really think about it, it's mostly understandable.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
True, they're not a great "team", but they have one thing that make them the team they are: the poor man's version of the twin towers. Think about it, not many teams have a big man the caliber of Gasol, but no team has a second and third big man the quality of Bynum and Odom. Bryant is obviously their best player and an all-time great, but it's that second and third big that make the Lakers unique.

The Spurs, as set in their ways as any team in the league, changed the majority of their roster. Plus, two of their three best players were coming off injury plagued seasons and did not play in the summer and they've never had to incorporate a scorer the caliber of Jefferson. Simply put: they needed time. Have they underachieved? On paper, yes, but if you really think about it, it's mostly understandable.

I removed the middle paragraph but this is the dead-on complete truth here about both the Lakers and the Spurs.

The Bynum, Gasol, Odom frontcourt + Kobe is what really separates the Lakers; but overall, they are not a "stacked" team.

The Spurs are not near where they should be considering their talent level; but it is understandable.

DAF86
01-15-2010, 12:22 AM
The Lakers are getting banged up big time, players are getting hurt and the starters are playing a lot of minutes, I don't get what Jackson is trying to do, is the regualr season really that important to him? All his players will be gassed out by the time the playoffs come if he keeps playing them at this pace.

TD 21
01-15-2010, 12:24 AM
I removed the middle paragraph but this is the dead-on complete truth here about both the Lakers and the Spurs.

The Bynum, Gasol, Odom frontcourt + Kobe is what really separates the Lakers; but overall, they are not a "stacked" team.

The Spurs are not near where they should be considering their talent level; but it is understandable.

I don't know about "separates", but it is the Lakers obvious advantage. I don't want to put too much weight into one game, but McDyess and Jefferson seem like they could do a solid job on Odom. Bynum, good as he is, Duncan wins that match-up hands down, particularly when you factor in that Bynum isn't the Bynum we've seen recently when Gasol is playing, so really it comes down to Gasol. I want to see how McDyess and Ratliff fare against him. I know Duncan will play against him some, but that's not a concern. Really, it comes down to McDyess and Ratliff (Pop will foolishly play Bonner against him some and Gasol will eat him alive); can they guard Gasol adequately and at times Bynum? If they can, then the Spurs can definitely beat the Lakers in a playoff series.

ElNono
01-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Here's one fan that actually knows the truth. The Spurs should have a better record than the Lakers but they've been under-achieving.

I disagree entirely on this point. I think that if you look at the roster on paper, you could say that. But the reality is that we have half a new roster and one of our old guys haven't touched a basketball in almost a year. So it's been a progressive work. The offense has actually been the best in years. Even better than championship years. And the defense has been coming along pretty well. One thing Pop understood after '07 is that the way the rules have changed, you simply cannot play the suffocating defense we used to play in '05 or '03. You also need volume scoring. So I don't think you're going to see a Spur team that hold opponents to below 80 points anymore. I think ideally we want to keep the opponent points around 90. The thing is that this team averages 100+ points a game.

We still have defensive lapses here and there, and we're still a work in progress, but it's mostly the defensive side. Know when to help, when to rotate, what we're giving up, etc etc etc. Slowly it has been coming along. The key part for us is for everyone to stay healthy. Tony has that plantar fasciitis, that he should be able to play through. Manu has been surprisingly healthy so far, and he's starting to get his lift back. Duncan has been great.

I've seen my good share of the Lakers to see that Kobe is more interested in playing than the rest of the guys. I do know that they're all going to be awake when the playoffs come around, and obviously your teams has kept most of the pieces, so the cohesion is there. They'll be a tough nut to crack when the time comes.

Wildcat67
01-15-2010, 12:27 AM
I've watched every Spurs game this year and this is how I see that they've improved drastically throughout the season.

Beginning of the year the Spurs couldn't beat anyone. They couldn't beat good teams they couldn't beat bad teams.

Step 1

Beat the teams you're supposed to beat.

They began doing this about 10 games in and have done so consistently since then.

Step 2

BEAT the teams you're supposed to beat badly

They had a problem with sustaining large leads and would constantly give up 20 point leads and make games close. They solved this vs. sub-.500 teams about 20 games into the year.

Step 3

Beat the good teams

Back-to-back wins vs good teams and winning 8 of 10 to be one of the hottest teams in the NBA.

Step 4

Hold onto leads against the good teams

After blowing a big lead against the Mavs and losing the Spurs were faced with similar problems against both the Lakers and the Thunder. However, the difference is that they were able to fend them off to record the victory.

It's this progression (and this is a very broad concept that encompasses more subtle smaller progressions that would take too much time to go into) that has been steadily going upward all season.

I expect their next jump in play will be when they start to get big leads vs good teams and keep those leads big. It's all about chemistry and killer instinct. We have so many new guys that need to learn about that killer instinct from the guys that have been there.

It's slowly but steadily getting better and better. Slow and steady wins the race.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM
I disagree entirely on this point. I think that if you look at the roster on paper, you could say that.

We're not disagreeing :lol

The Spurs are under-achieving, but it is understandable given the points you listed.

But I don't use excuses (injuries, refs, new players, etc) so I just say "the Spurs are under-achieving" without qualifying it.

Just like I say "the Lakers suck", and I don't say "Lakers suck but Kobe has a broken finger, spasms, no Pau, no Luke, Artest concussion, etc".

ElNono
01-15-2010, 12:32 AM
We're not disagreeing :lol

The Spurs are under-achieving, but it is understandable given the points you listed.

But I don't use excuses (injuries, refs, etc) so I just say the Spurs are under-achieving without qualifying it.

Well, it's hard for half the guys to meet up in November and pretend they'll be peaking right off the bat. I mean, it's not just unrealistic, it's simply not possible. Lakers had to add just one guy, and basically swapped the same position with Ariza. We have had a bigger mountain to climb.

TD 21
01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Here's the other thing about the Spurs that no one ever mentions: All of their top players can and will play significantly more minutes in the playoffs, so just by virtue of playing their best players more, theoretically they should be better right there. Whereas you look at the Lakers and Jackson routinely runs his top six into the ground, so really (this may sound somewhat foolish considering they're the defending champs); what's their upside? If you're underwhelmed with them as is, then barring a transaction of some kind, internally how can they get better? They are what they are and it's either going to be good enough or it's not, but the Spurs, we don't quite know what their ceiling is. We know chemistry/familiarity wise they should continually get better as the season goes on, but don't undersell the best players playing more in the playoffs as another form of getting better. Technically, every team could say that, but for many teams the uptick in their key players minutes will be minimal (because they play extended minutes already); with the Spurs it likely will be substantial.

TheMACHINE
01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
As if you all did any better from 2003-2008. lol... It's only been 2 years since our last Championship. 6 for you guys until 2009. Not sure how you can be so cocky.

You can't even beat the Blazers. But then again, we can't beat Dallas apparently.:lol

hmmm...i probably wouldnt have used the "its been 2 years since we last had a championship, lakers 2003-2008 sucks" comeback since we DID win it last year. Im sure you coulda came up with something better. :downspin:

Allanon
01-15-2010, 12:35 AM
the Spurs can definitely beat the Lakers in a playoff series.

If the Spurs played the Lakers in the WCF right now, they would beat the Lakers. The Lakers aren't good right now.

But if the Spurs played the Mavs tomorrow in the WCF, they would lose.

ElNono
01-15-2010, 12:44 AM
If the Spurs played the Lakers in the WCF right now, they would beat the Lakers. The Lakers aren't good right now.

I'm not sure about this. I don't think we would beat the Lakers or Mavs in a 7 game series right now... it would be close, but I don't think we're quite there yet. We can review this 2 months from now...

DAF86
01-15-2010, 12:56 AM

I don't think so, we're 1-2 vs the Mavs this season but...

First game: we beat them by 9 without Tony and Tim.

Second game: We lost in overtime in Dallas without Tony and Manu.

Third game: We lost a 10 points lead in the 4th by allowing 42 points in that quarter (that was a fluke and ain't happening again)

Not to mention that Terry played well this season only in those two victories over the Spurs.

The games that the Spurs and Mavs have played this season don't show that Dallas has an obvious advantage over San Antonio in their personal matchup.

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-15-2010, 01:02 AM
If the Spurs played the Mavs in a 7 game series tomorrow, they'd get another 4-1 shoved up their old cranky ass.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 01:03 AM

Third game: We lost a 10 points lead in the 4th by allowing 42 points in that quarter (that was a fluke and ain't happening again)

Not to mention that Terry played well this season only in those two victories over the Spurs.

The games that the Spurs and Mavs have played this season don't show that Dallas has an obvious advantage over San Antonio in their personal matchup.

JET and JHo have been the difference makers for the Mavs for the last couple of years. And this coincides with Manu/JET and JHo/RJ.

Since Manu and RJ aren't quite there yet, I don't see this matchup changing in favor of the Spurs yet.

DAF86
01-15-2010, 01:06 AM
JET and JHo have been the difference makers for the Mavs for the last couple of years. And this coincides with Manu/JET and JHo/RJ.

Since Manu and RJ aren't quite there yet, I don't see this matchup changing in favor of the Spurs yet.

So far this season:

Manu > Terry

Jefferson > Howard

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-15-2010, 01:08 AM
So far this season:

Manu < Terry

Jefferson < Howard
fify

ElNono
01-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Actually, Manu checks JHo. At least he did last game. And JET played well against us this season, but JHo has been really the torn in the side. He turns into MJ when he plays against us.
Then again, we're nothing like last season. We're still a work in progress, but we have a lot more talent this season. Not just RJ. Dice, Blair. Mason playing well. Duncan has his knees. The defense needs more work and that's what costs us the game last time.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2010, 01:16 AM
blair > every mav not named kidd or dirk

ftfy. :rollin

ezau
01-15-2010, 01:33 AM

Agreed. That's why the Spurs need to learn how to beat the Mavs because both teams are going to meet one another in the playoffs

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-15-2010, 01:34 AM
ftfy. :rollinThat bum ain't going to save your rec league squad from getting bounced in round 1.

ezau
01-15-2010, 01:34 AM

Terry plays like Michael Jordan everytime the Spurs play the Mavs. What the fuck is wrong with that guy?

Cry Havoc
01-15-2010, 01:47 AM
That bum ain't going to save your rec league squad from getting bounced in round 1.

Terry's looking good these days. :toast

Btw, when's the last time a Maverick had 20/20?

Not counting Palin's appearance on the news.

DAF86
01-15-2010, 02:13 AM
fify

Then why Mavs fans want to trade Terry while Spurs fans want to resign Manu?

And since when 13 pts on 40%, 3.8 rbds and 1.6 assts (Howard stats) are better than 13 pts on 48%, 3.9 rbds and 2.3 assts (RJ stats)?

Allanon
01-15-2010, 02:19 AM
So far this season:

Manu > Terry

Not against the Mavs

JET averages 20 points against the Spurs. Sure JET has been sucking in other games.

But Ezau says above, JET looks like Michael Jordan against the Spurs and it's true :lol

21_Blessings
01-15-2010, 02:21 AM
the Spurs can definitely beat the Lakers in a playoff series.

- Spurs fan 08, 09, 10

A Congratulations are in order by the way. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144382

DAF86
01-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Not against the Mavs

JET averages 20 points against the Spurs. Sure JET has been sucking in other games.

But one of the guys above said JET looks like Michael Jordan against the Spurs and it's true :lol

Yes, so? that wasn't your point at first.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Yes, so? that wasn't your point at first.

That IS my point, I don't see how it isn't.

DAF86
01-15-2010, 02:26 AM
That IS my point, I don't see how it isn't.

This is what you said.

And to that I replied that Manu and Jefferson had been better than Terry and Josh this season.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 02:31 AM
This is what you said.

And to that I replied that Manu and Jefferson had been better than Terry and Josh this season.

Ah, you're talking about the season. I think you misunderstood me. Yes, overall Manu and Jefferson have been better than Terry and JHo.

But I'm talking about just against the Spurs.

DAF86
01-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Ah, you're talking about the season. I think you misunderstood me. Yes, overall Manu and Jefferson have been better than Terry and JHo.

But I'm talking about just against the Spurs.

You said that you don't see that matchup changing, I think it will 'cause Manu and Jefferson are playing better and are better players than Terry and Howard.

Besides Howard has been crap against the Spurs this season.

Allanon
01-15-2010, 02:39 AM
You said that you don't see that matchup changing, I think it will 'cause Manu and Jefferson are playing better and are better players than Terry and Howard.

Besides Howard has been crap against the Spurs this season.

It's certainly possible that the matchup will start favoring the Spurs but it hasn't yet.

That's probably JET's biggest asset to the Mavs right now, his play against the Spurs. Outside of the Jordanesque Spurs games, he's probably having his worst season.

duhoh
01-15-2010, 02:42 AM

DAF86
01-15-2010, 02:45 AM
It's certainly possible that the matchup will start favoring the Spurs but it hasn't yet.

That's probably JET's biggest asset to the Mavs right now, his play against the Spurs. Outside of the Jordanesque Spurs games, he's probably having his worst season.

When you depend on Jason Terry to beat a team you know that the victory isn't assured, which was my point from the beggining: The Mavs matchup advantage over the Spurs is highly overrated.

Allanon
01-16-2010, 01:22 AM
The Spurs still haven't been able to integrate RJ, Tony and Manu.

ezau
01-16-2010, 01:28 AM
The Spurs still haven't been able to integrate RJ, Tony and Manu.

RJ especially. I don't think there are enough plays being run for him at the moment. However, there are signs that he is becoming more and more comfortable playing out there.