PDA

View Full Version : Arenas charged with felony

mardigan
01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
WASHINGTON -- Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas has been charged with a felony in connection with last month's locker room confrontation with a teammate.

Arenas, who was suspended indefinitely without pay by NBA commissioner David Stern last week, was charged with carrying a pistol without a license outside a home or business.

The charges were filed in D.C. Superior Court in an "information," a document that generally signals a plea deal.

His lawyer had no immediate comment.

Arenas, a three-time All-Star, had admitted to taking unloaded guns out of his locker in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate following a gambling dispute during a team flight.

Arenas has said he kept multiple guns in his locker at the Verizon Center. He claims he wanted to keep them away from his children and didn't know it was illegal.

The teammate involved in the spat, Javaris Crittenton, had authorities search his apartment for a semiautomatic handgun in connection with the incident on Thursday afternoon.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4826597

Def Rowe
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Dayum. That's kind of a big deal.

Muser
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
So where are Jamison/Butler going? Jamison most likely to Cleveland but what about Caron?

Heath Ledger
Damn Gilberts career is over. He will do time over this.

Mavs_man_41
LOL dumbass. I have no sympathy :lmao

timvp
01-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing he'll plead down, avoid jail time and keep his contract.

JamStone
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
While I would imagine that this can begin the process of the Wizards terminating Gilbert's contract, I would like to point out that being "charged" with a crime is not the same thing as being "convicted" of a crime. As Kobe lovers know very well and Kobe haters simply intentionally neglect, there is a very big difference between the two.

If Gilbert is convicted or pleads, even to a lesser charge, I think the Wizards will act pretty quickly on terminating his contract. If he is not convicted, the charges are dropped, or found not guilty, I think the Wizards will have to really do a thorough job to sift and get through the language of the contract in order to legitimately terminate it.

DarkReign
01-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Exactly how can one avoid jail time on an illegal firearms charge?

Doubtful. He's going to jail, the only question is how long.

blkroadrunners
01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I think that he will stay out of jail and assuming Stern lifts the suspension I am willing to bet that someone will pull a Philadelphia Eagles and sign him like they did Vick.

...or just go overseas.

DarkReign
01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
He is being charged with a felony...I dont pretend to be a lawyer, but thats a pretty hard thing to plea down.

Moreover, it isnt something like fraud or embezzlement. Its a violent crime offense.

Its a big deal.

JamStone

Ask OJ and Snoop how they avoided jail time on murder charges. Ask Kobe... too much Kobe talk, but you get the idea.

It can be done.

cobbler
Stern isn't going to lift any suspension. He is going to make an example out of Gilbert.

Galileo
01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
A felony? Yikes!

Felonies are supposed to be serious crimes.

This "crime" had no victim and no criminal intent. Only stupidity.

It should be a misdemeanor, but that's the police state for you.

resistanze
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Kobe had a felony charge. Of course, the charge didn't stick.

Bukefal
01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I hope that he will never set a step in the NBA again.

baseline bum
01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Is it even possible to get a license to pack in DC? What a bunch of bullshit. I totally get voiding his contract for bringing guns to practice, but criminal charges, much less felony charges, are ridiculous.

Indazone
01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
If Michael Vick can make it back to the NFL I guarantee that Arenas will be back in the Mafia Stern controlled NBA.

baseline bum
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Ask OJ and Snoop how they avoided jail time on murder charges. Ask Kobe... too much Kobe talk, but you get the idea.

It can be done.

For one, they didn't admit to anything. Gilbert's SOL here.

Heath Ledger
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
This is an open and shut case. Prosecution does not need a plea deal. Gilbert is pleading guilty to the felony tomorrow. He will probably do a year or two.

Mel_13
01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
At this point there is not much the players union can do to stop the Wizards in vioding his contract.

They can't stop them from filing whatever documents are required to void the contract. Once the Wizards take that step, the union and Arenas' lawyers will begin the proceedings to fight it. The Wizards may ultimately prevail, but there's no way this issue is resolved quickly. It certainly won't be resolved by the trade deadline.

If the Wizards conduct a fire sale, they will do so without any certain knowledge that Arenas' contract can be successfully voided.

nkdlunch
01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Arenas is gonna do jailtime. You heard it here first.

:tu :tu :tu

looks like my connec with Wizards came through again

Heath Ledger
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Gilbert has already publicy admitted to having guns, there will be no plea deal. He even twittered about the shit, and when he apologized to his teammates and the NBA, nail in the coffin.

DC doesn't mess around when it comes to gun crimes. No way he avoids jail time on this.

Mel_13
01-14-2010, 06:12 PM
True. Still the Wizards are not paying him and as soon as the process starts it will really be a pointless battle and the Wizards can begin the firesale.

With $100M at stake, there will be plenty of high-priced lawyers ready to take up the fight. They probably won't be too successful, but the fight will be made. As I recall, the Falcons weren't able to keep all of Vick's money from him once the entire case played out.

That all being said, the firesale probably will take place. It's hard to imagine them building around the pieces they currently have. Best to trade for cap space plus any young players and draft picks they can get in the process. Then gradually rebuild like the Blazers and the Thunder have done.

Mel_13
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
As I posted earlier, the Wizards only problem is Gilbert's contract. Even if he is the only one of their big 3 left on the roster post trade deadline (assuming that the Wizards trade for expirings) then the Wizards should still be 10 million under the cap come 2010 FA.

And maybe by then Gilbert will be off the books, paid off, whatever.

Still Jamison is who I am really liking. he is playing with a lot of heart and I just can't see the Cavs trading him to their rivals. Now if they could trade DeShawn Stevenson to the Cavs it would be pure comedy.

If they can trade Jamison and Butler for expirings, they'll have enough room under the cap to offer a max contract even with Arenas' contract on the books. If they can also void his contract, they'll be able to offer two max contracts.

Jamison would be a nice addition for the Spurs, but I doubt ownership would sign off on the additional expense.

DarkReign
01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
A felony? Yikes!

Felonies are supposed to be serious crimes.

This "crime" had no victim and no criminal intent. Only stupidity.

It should be a misdemeanor, but that's the police state for you.

Wait, what?!

You think bringing "multiple" guns to work is a misdemeanor? Allegedly threatening another employee with said guns?

Oooooook. This converation is over, sociopath.

Is it even possible to get a license to pack in DC? What a bunch of bullshit. I totally get voiding his contract for bringing guns to practice, but criminal charges, much less felony charges, are ridiculous.

Again, BB, he brought firearms to work for the explicit reason of threatening a coworker with them (edited: allegedly).

If that isnt a felony, what the fuck is??

DarkReign
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I am a gun guy, I love my guns, I practice my 2nd amendment rights with vigor.

But this is the very essence of idiocy and the very definition of a felony.

Like it or not, having unlicensed handguns in your possession in your place of employment is highly fucking illegal. Nevermind allegedly threatening a coworker with them...youre going to prison, not jail, fuck-you-in-the-ass prison. Especially if this mental midget admitted it already, if that is true (idk), he is totally fucked.

If I did that, I'd be in prison, so would you and you and you.

DarkReign
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Then again, he is a multi-millionaire. Stranger things have happened. He might walk, I am no lawyer.

baseline bum
01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Again, BB, he brought firearms to work for the explicit reason of threatening a coworker with them (edited: allegedly).

If that isnt a felony, what the fuck is??

I don't believe Vescey on anything.

TheSullyMonster
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Like it or not, having unlicensed handguns in your possession in your place of employment is highly fucking illegal. Nevermind allegedly threatening a coworker with them...youre going to prison, not jail, fuck-you-in-the-ass prison. Especially if this mental midget admitted it already, if that is true (idk), he is totally fucked.

Lets not forget, its illegal to have a handgun outside of your home or shooting range in DC anyways. There is no concealed carry law.

I will admit to only being mostly certain about that last bit, not completely.

The Wizards aren't the one pressing charges.:lol

DC is. DC lawmakers decided it was a felony, and so he's fucked.:nope

duncan228
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
The latest.

NBA’s Arenas charged with felony gun possession (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvrFf6G6Sgz7jd7vtbye7Tm8vLYF?slug=ap-wizards-guns&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Joseph White

Gilbert Arenas has a court date and an apparent plea deal is in place, signaling a possible quick resolution to at least one side of a guns-in-the-locker-room confrontation that stained the NBA and jeopardized the career of the three-time All-Star.

Arenas was charged Thursday with felony gun possession—one count of carrying a pistol without a license—a crime that carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. The charges were filed in D.C. Superior Court in an “information,” a document that indicates a plea bargain has been reached.

The charge came directly from prosecutors and not in the form of an indictment—even though a grand jury has been investigating—and Arenas was listed on the docket for a court appearance Friday afternoon.

Arenas has acknowledged storing four unloaded guns in his locker at the Verizon Center, saying he wanted to keep them away from his young children and didn’t know it was a violation of the city’s strict gun laws. He says he took them out of the locker Dec. 21 in a “misguided effort to play a joke” on a teammate.

The criminal charge came on the same day that the teammate, Javaris Crittenton, had his northern Virginia apartment searched by police looking for a silver- or chrome-colored semiautomatic handgun with a black handle. The search warrant indicated police were investigating crimes that include brandishing a weapon. No evidence was seized, according to court documents, and Crittenton has not been charged.

Two league officials have said a spat between Arenas and Crittenton began Dec. 19 while players were playing cards and gambling on the team plane during a flight home from a West Coast road trip. Their dispute became heated when the team reconvened for practice two days later. There have been conflicting published accounts as to whether Crittenton had a gun and whether he drew it on Arenas.

Arenas’ lawyer, Crittenton’s lawyer and the NBA had no immediate comment on the criminal charge. Crittenton has previously said he did nothing wrong, and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said his client was there during the apartment search.

“It went as smooth as it could have gone,” Bartelstein said.

Even if Arenas avoids a jail sentence, the outcome of the legal process will have profound implications on his future in the NBA and specifically with the Wizards. Possession of a gun at an NBA arena is a violation of the league’s collective bargaining agreement, and last week commissioner David Stern suspended Arenas indefinitely without pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

Stern was particularly upset that Arenas repeatedly joked about the matter with reporters and on Twitter and even pantomimed shooting teammates in a pregame huddle before a game at Philadelphia. Arenas attempted, in public at least, to use a “goof ball” defense, saying he meant no harm and never takes anything seriously. Stern, however, said that Arenas was “not currently fit to take the court” and that the 28-year-old player’s conduct will “ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse.”

In addition, the Wizards could attempt to invoke the morals clause found in standard NBA contracts and void the remainder of the six-year, $111 million deal Arenas signed in summer 2008. The players’ union would almost certainly contest such a move.

“We will continue to lend our full support to Gilbert and will assist him in every way possible to see this matter through,” union executive director Billy Hunter said.

Arenas has played in only 34 games since signing the contract because of a knee injury and the gun-related suspension.

Arenas was averaging 22.6 points and 7.2 assists this season for the Wizards, who are 12-25 and in last place in the NBA’s Southeast Division. The team has removed nearly all traces of the once-marketable “Agent Zero” from the Verizon Center, including Arenas merchandise with the jersey No. 0 and a huge banner with his photo.

The case has proved a major distraction for a troubled team. At least seven Wizards players and coach Flip Saunders have appeared before a grand jury or been questioned by authorities, leaving the team without enough players to hold a regular practice on some days. Arenas has been told to stay away from team functions during his suspension, and Crittenton, who has not played this season because of a foot injury, has been excused by the team while the legal process plays out.

“We are aware of the charge filed against Gilbert Arenas today and will continue to follow the ongoing legal process very carefully,” the Wizards said in a statement. “We will also continue to cooperate fully with the proper authorities and the NBA.”

Technique
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
The punishment does not fit the crime. 5 years maximum? Really?

mavsfan1000
01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
The law is fucked up if he is in jail for an extended time.

benefactor
01-14-2010, 10:01 PM

http://www.wavlist.com/movies/317/ofsp-poundme.wav

mogrovejo
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Wait, what?!

You think bringing "multiple" guns to work is a misdemeanor?

In fact, bringing unlicensed guns to the "place of business" is indeed a misdemeanor under DC law.

The problem here is that it would be difficult to Arenas to get a court to agree that the locker room is his "place of business" (generally it doesn't apply to work places - it'd be different if he was the Wizards owner).

Allegedly threatening another employee with said guns?

LOL

Are you still there? There were no threatenings, that was Vecsey doing his business.

Plus, it's completely irrelevant. If they want to prosecute him for threats with guns then it's a different case. This is exclusively about carrying the unlicensed guns and nothing more.

Like it or not, having unlicensed handguns in your possession in your place of employment is highly fucking illegal.

Highly? yeah, like murder or worse.

You seem to think that carrying the guns to the place of employment is worse or more serious than carrying them in the street. It's not, it's the exact same felony with the exact same penalty.

-----------

And LOL @ anyone who thinks Arenas will get his contract voided because of this. The NBA wasn't even able to void SPrewells contact when he fucking chocked the head-coach. Twice! Telfair carried a loaded gun to the team plane (which also qualifies as a work place, just like the locker room) and got a 2 games suspension. And now you think they could just dump a $100 millions contract? Get a grip. The Wizards and the NBA basically forfeited their microscopical chance of voiding Arenas contract once they didn't suspend him once the fact happened - they suspended him for his jokes afterwards. They punished the reaction, not the action. Now they want to void the contract? The arbitration would decide this case in like 3 minutes. Any attempt to void his contract will be ruled as arbitrary because of inconsistency with past practices.

himat
01-14-2010, 11:38 PM
He is being charged with a felony...I dont pretend to be a lawyer, but thats a pretty hard thing to plea down.

Moreover, it isnt something like fraud or embezzlement. Its a violent crime offense.

Its a big deal.

felony is the key word here. i think the wizards can completely make use of that language.

mogrovejo
01-14-2010, 11:59 PM
No, they can't.

BlackSwordsMan
01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
it's cuz he black

Dex
01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure who is more off their rocker, the people who think Arenas won't do time for this, or the people who think he shouldn't.

If he gets off without doing any jail time, it will just be another shining example of a judicial system tilted by the almighty dollar.

Oh, and kudos to the players association for once again making a martyr out of a misfit. Exactly what would a player have to do for them to say, "Okay, maybe he does deserve to have his contract waived"?

MarCowMar
01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
What Gilbert did was wrong and he deserves a strong punishment, but it would be sad to see someone serve jail time for something like this in my opinion. The trial and jail time is a large taxpayer expense that is not necessary. Gilbert needs education on firearms and how to respect them. I hate to stereotype but I get the feeling these NBA players never had a parent to take them hunting and show them how to carry and respect firearms. Fine him, sentence him to community service or a very short jail period and move on.

While all this is going on we have bankers and politicians robbing us blind and destroying our economy, and millions of lives in the process. To me this is not right.

exstatic
01-15-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm guessing he'll plead down, avoid jail time and keep his contract.

Why exactly, would the DA agree to ANY deal? They have him in possession of an unregistered firearm in the DC city limits with a locker room full of witnesses. They have no reason to do a deal. He's dogmeat.

exstatic
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM

It can be done.

If the entire Wizards team had seen OJ slit Nicole's throat, I think he does time.

They have him cold, with witnesses.

mogrovejo
01-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Why exactly, would the DA agree to ANY deal? They have him in possession of an unregistered firearm in the DC city limits with a locker room full of witnesses. They have no reason to do a deal. He's dogmeat.

Accordingly to the D.C. Code 22-4504(a), you can't carry a pistol in the DC, without a license issued pursuant to District of Columbia law.

Any person found guilty of this crime may faces a felony conviction and shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. (D.C. Code 22-4504(a)(1))

Every year thousands of people commit this crime. Most of them are... tourists. Simply guys visiting the Hill who bring their darling on them and are completely unaware of the excentric rigueur of DC gun laws. Generally a NG officer gently asks them for the gun and explains the situation to the unhappy pal. They quickly plea to a misdemeanor, a $1.000 fine and, the most funest and doleful consequence, they have to give away their gun.

This is exactly the situation Arenas is in, except for the profile of the case. The fact that he brought the guns to a lockerroom is completely immaterial. And who cares about the witnesses, Arenas confessed - and most of the cases are people who are caught in flagrant.

Do you really, really think that the DA would send all these people to jail? Because if you do, you're clueless beyond redemption.

ElNono
01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
This has fine, community service, suspension without pay and apology press release written all over it...

mogrovejo
01-15-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure who is more off their rocker, the people who think Arenas won't do time for this, or the people who think he shouldn't.

If he gets off without doing any jail time, it will just be another shining example of a judicial system tilted by the almighty dollar.

BS. Can you give examples of people who served jail time for carrying unloaded unregistered guns?

In fact, the exact opposite happens. People think a guy with a stable job and a family should go to jail for such a thing precisely because he's rich and successful.

sabar
01-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Its a high profile case, of course the DA is going to go for the maximum punishment unless they need a plea deal from lack of evidence. No easier way to get elected than to say "look at what I did in that big case so-and-so months ago". Its just like the O.J. robbery case. The prosecution can cast off all doubts of incompetence by nailing someone that everyone knows, and keep their job secure.

Arenas is screwed.

duncan228
01-15-2010, 03:46 AM
Divorce could prove tough for Arenas, Wizards (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgpKlO0hnu8AXCmDJSb7_q68vLYF?slug=aw-arenascharge011510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Here’s how the NBA’s most dramatic story takes its next turn, a source said Thursday night: The Washington Wizards’ Gilbert Arenas will plead guilty on Friday in a plea deal on his felony gun possession charge, with the U.S. Attorney’s office recommending to the District of Columbia Superior Court a sentence that doesn’t exceed six months and perhaps doesn’t include prison time at all.

The suggestion to D.C. Superior Court Judge Robert Morin will be that punishment be served with probation and community service, but Morin has the latitude to deliver a harsher penalty. The charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in jail, so the Wizards’ star is still largely at the mercy of Morin.

Nevertheless, Arenas will plead guilty to a single felony count for one of the four guns he brought into the team’s locker room, and now the possibility becomes real that the Wizards will take the abandonment of Arenas to a far greater length and try to terminate the approximate $80 million left on his original $111 million contract.

The Wizards have abandoned Arenas in ways public and private, and would like to void a contract that could free them of a star who has lost his basketball and box-office allure. Arenas knows they don’t want him, and he told that to Washington general manager Ernie Grunfeld when they were still speaking. From the beginning of this sad, sordid saga, the Wizards have made it clear they’re determined to move on without Arenas.

Without prison time, it’s unlikely the Wizards would have a sustainable case to terminate the contract. With it, it’s possible. Whatever the circumstances, the process of trying could have damning consequences should they lose and Arenas eventually returns from a league suspension. The relationship is already fractured beyond repair.

A vicious, nasty fight with Arenas could ultimately unseal and unleash whatever secrets lay within the walls of the Verizon Center. The Wizards will be taking on the wrath of Arenas, the players union and ultimately putting themselves on trial for a culture of enablement that existed for years with the clown prince of basketball.

This case has polarized the Wizards’ locker room – pitting the front office and players against each other – and an unprecedented fight to terminate Arenas’ contract could unravel the franchise. The Wizards better hope they win, because the possibility of trying to reintegrate Arenas into an organization that tried to take away his contract could have colossal complications.

“If they try to terminate his contract and fail, they’re in big trouble,” said a source familiar with the Wizards-Arenas dynamic. “The Wizards don’t want Arenas back in the locker room after they’ve tried to screw him.”

The Wizards have scrubbed Arenas off the Verizon Center billboards and signage, and the NBA was right there with them, eliminating his likeness out of stories and online shopping catalogues. Arenas initially believed the organization was on his side after the Dec. 21 incident, but eventually realized that wasn’t the case. The Wizards moved rapidly to distance themselves once the details of his locker-room showdown with Javaris Crittenton became public.

It’s a shame, because the Wizards marketed and made money on the clown persona that ultimately got Arenas an indefinite suspension by NBA commissioner David Stern, and they don’t deserve the salary-cap relief that voiding his contract would give them. The Wizards’ organization isn’t a victim of Arenas’ recklessness, but a co-conspirator. He’s untradeable now, and they’ve played an immense part in that. Stern could suspend him for the rest of the season – almost assuredly no less than 20 games – but Arenas should be back in a Wizards uniform when the sentence is over.

Sources say Arenas’ attorney had tried hard to plead the case down to four separate misdemeanor charges – one for each gun in the locker room – but Arenas’ past misdemeanor gun possession, as well as the public nature of the case, made it impossible. It took Arenas too long to surround himself with competent counsel and advice, and he paid a price.

His own judgment is horrible, and Arenas should’ve relied on others. He turned his guns into team security, when he probably should’ve hustled them out of the building. He kept talking, when he should’ve stayed silent. He let the Wizards advise him on an attorney, when he should’ve found his own.

Arenas testified to authorities that Crittenton responded to his ill-fated practical joke of laying unloaded guns on Crittenton’s locker room chair with the brandishing of his own weapon. At least one other teammate witness in the locker room backed that story, sources with knowledge of the case said. Yet, sources also said two teammates – Mike Miller and Randy Foye – backed either very little, or none, of that account.

This case was never about Crittenton, and whatever happens to him will have little bearing on the public fallout. He’s been injured this season, and most believe that he’ll never play another game for Washington. The Wizards can make him and his contract go away, and almost assuredly will. Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler could be traded. Grunfeld will have to answer to a new owner soon.

On Friday, Arenas walks into court, cops a plea on a gun charge and now everything goes into motion: The judge, the commissioner, the Wizards. Prison time could complicate Arenas’ future, but without it, the most ironic thing of all could happen to these Wizards: Eventually, they’ll look around, and Gilbert Arenas could be the last man standing.

DarkReign
01-15-2010, 09:59 AM
If he threatened a coworker with a gun, he should go to prison.

If he only brought a gun(s) to the workplace, then no, he shouldnt go to prison.

If what the DA is charging him with is only felony firearms possession, then its believable that he'll plead down.

TBH, I am very surprised he isnt being charged with something related to threatening a coworker with a gun(s). Since that isnt the case (again, I am surprised), then yeah, he's not going to jail of any sort.

And really, you cant blame the DA because if I had to guess, no one in that lockeroom is going to try and get Arenas sent to prison. Depending on the connotation of the incident (if there even was one), I am not sure if I blame them, either.

So basically, this has turned into only an illegal firearms possession in a city with the toughest gun laws I can think of. DA might try for the max as an example but also because he/she cant make the "threat of violence" charge stick.

Either way, no matter what you think...

Arenas is one dumb motherfucker who is incredibly lucky this little incident didnt go any further than it did. What a moron.

EDITED: I hadnt read duncan's article above before posting this. He is pleading guilty to a felony. Interesting.

DarkReign
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Sources say Arenas’ attorney had tried hard to plead the case down to four separate misdemeanor charges – one for each gun in the locker room – but Arenas’ past misdemeanor gun possession, as well as the public nature of the case, made it impossible

:lmao

Sooooo incredibly lucky, this guy.

Agloco
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Divorce could prove tough for Arenas, Wizards (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgpKlO0hnu8AXCmDJSb7_q68vLYF?slug=aw-arenascharge011510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Here’s how the NBA’s most dramatic story takes its next turn, a source said Thursday night: The Washington Wizards’ Gilbert Arenas will plead guilty on Friday in a plea deal on his felony gun possession charge, with the U.S. Attorney’s office recommending to the District of Columbia Superior Court a sentence that doesn’t exceed six months and perhaps doesn’t include prison time at all.

Surprise surprise. Wake up dreamers, he's not doing hard time.

Heath Ledger
01-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Theres a live press conference on TMZ starting any minute now.

duncan228
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Arenas arrives at court to answer gun charge (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-guns&prov=ap&type=lgns)

NBA All-Star Gilbert Arenas has arrived at court for a hearing on a felony charge of carrying a pistol without a license.

The suspended Washington Wizards star arrived at D.C. Superior Court after 2 p.m. Friday and did not answer any questions from media.

The charge, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison, was filed Thursday in an “information,” a document that indicates Arenas has reached a plea deal with prosecutors.

Arenas has acknowledged keeping unloaded guns in his locker at the Verizon Center. He says he took the guns out of the locker Dec. 21 in a “misguided effort to play a joke” on a teammate.

He has publicly employed the “goof ball” defense. He says he wasn’t aware of the law, meant no harm and never takes anything seriously.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/89/fullj.18a10f82be965d1f045a2ef05fd9cc29/18a10f82be965d1f045a2ef05fd9cc29-getty-95659328bs001_arenas.jpg

Arenas pleads guilty to felony gun possession (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wizards-guns&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Matt Barakat

Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas pleaded guilty Friday to carrying a pistol without a license in the District of Columbia, a felony conviction that could jeopardize his future in the NBA.

Arenas pleaded guilty to a single count of violating the city’s strict gun laws as part of a plea bargain in D.C. Superior Court.

The charge stems from a Dec. 21 incident in which Arenas admitted that he stored guns in his locker at the Verizon Center and took them out to play a joke on a teammate.

The NBA has suspended him indefinitely. A pre-sentence report is not yet complete, but defense attorney Kenneth Wainstein said Friday that prosecutors have agreed not to seek a sentence longer than the low end of sentencing guidelines. That means Arenas likely faces no more than six months behind bars.

Arenas “accepted full responsibility for his actions, acknowledged that those actions were wrong and against the law, and has apologized to all who have been affected by his conduct,” Wainstein said in a statement.

Ever since Arenas first acknowledged keeping guns in his locker, he has publicly employed the “goof ball” defense, claiming he wasn’t aware of the law, meant no harm and never takes anything seriously.

Wizards teammate Antawn Jamison said Friday he hasn’t talked to Arenas.

“Hopefully he’s doing better than what I’d be doing in the situation or better than I expect,” Jamison said from the team’s morning practice in Chicago. “But one thing about Gilbert, he’s a tough-minded individual.”

The three-time All-Star has acknowledged storing four unloaded guns in his locker at the Verizon Center, saying he wanted to keep them away from his young children and didn’t know it was a violation of the city’s strict gun laws. He says he took them out of the locker Dec. 21 in a “misguided effort to play a joke” on a teammate.

He was charged Thursday, hours after the teammate, Javaris Crittenton, had his northern Virginia apartment searched by police looking for a silver- or chrome-colored semiautomatic handgun with a black handle. The search warrant indicated police were investigating crimes that include brandishing a weapon. No evidence was seized, according to court documents, and Crittenton has not been charged.

Arenas and Crittenton started bickering over gambling losses during a card game on the team plane as the Washington Wizards flew home from a West Coast road trip on Dec. 19. Their dispute became heated when the team reconvened for practice two days later, when Arenas took the guns from his locker. There have been conflicting published accounts as to whether Crittenton also had a gun and whether he drew it on Arenas.

Crittenton has previously said he did nothing wrong, and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said his client was there during the apartment search.

“It went as smooth as it could have gone,” Bartelstein said.

Even if Arenas avoids jail, the outcome of the legal process will have important implications on his future in the NBA and specifically with the Wizards. Possession of a gun at an NBA arena is a violation of the league’s collective bargaining agreement, and last week commissioner David Stern suspended Arenas indefinitely without pay pending the outcome of the investigation, a move supported by the Wizards.

Stern was particularly upset that Arenas repeatedly joked about the matter with reporters and on Twitter. Arenas at one point said: “I’m a goof ball and that’s what I am, so even doing something like this, I’m going to make fun of it and that’s how I am.”

nkdlunch
01-15-2010, 03:40 PM
now I'm hearing he might not go to jail. Either that or 3-6 months.

baseline bum
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
What's the difference between felony and misdemeanor gun possession in DC? This case is just stupid to the highest degree, along with the law he broke.

NZ Spurs
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
now I'm hearing he might not go to jail. Either that or 3-6 months.

:lol

Bob Lanier
01-15-2010, 10:28 PM
:lol at mogrovejo

mogrovejo
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
:lol at mogrovejo

What?

mogrovejo
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
This is an open and shut case. Prosecution does not need a plea deal. Gilbert is pleading guilty to the felony tomorrow. He will probably do a year or two.

Damn Gilberts career is over. He will do time over this.

Doubtful. He's going to jail, the only question is how long.

:tu :tu :tu

looks like my connec with Wizards came through again

:blah