PDA

View Full Version : We are now officially:

Cry Havoc
01-15-2010, 01:53 AM
The hottest team in the NBA. :flag: :flag: :flag:

Following the Cavs last second loss, we are 8-2 over the last 10, the only team to post such a record.

Boston is 4-6
Orlando is 4-6
Atlanta is 5-5
LA is 6-4
Dallas is 5-5

Making this thread because I'm not worried about jinxes and I don't really care anyway.

Go Spurs Go.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2010, 01:54 AM
*jinx thread*

;)

Fpoonsie
01-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Making this thread because I'm not worried about jinxes and I don't really care anyway.

[nervous chuckle]

Cry Havoc
01-15-2010, 01:56 AM
[nervous chuckle]

If our boys are going to win the LOB, nothing's going to stop them.

I have faith in this team.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Seriously though, we're starting to see signs from this team, which is obviously great..they're starting to live up to the expectations..

We still need to see an improvement with leads, they still give up way too many leads..they start getting too careless and settling for Js once there's a double-digit lead in our favor..that's something that can be fixed though..

There's also still a big problem at defending the p&r and defending switches around the mid-post and also defending the perimeter within the 3-point line..I don't know how this will improve though, we'll see..

Good progress though, hopefully they continue to improve..

jag
01-15-2010, 02:00 AM
The Spurs are 5-2 in January.

Only 2 of their 5 wins were against better than .500 teams. Their win against the lakers was obviously against a Lakers team minus Gasol.

ElNono
01-15-2010, 02:18 AM

Only 2 of their 5 wins were against better than .500 teams. Their win against the lakers was obviously against a Lakers team minus Gasol.

Yeah, but we've been missing Bonner and Finley...

z0sa
01-15-2010, 02:19 AM

even if you're being sarcastic, the irony here is priceless. :lol

Cry Havoc
01-15-2010, 02:20 AM

You can only beat who you play. And we didn't just beat the Lakers, we demolished them.

ElNono
01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
even if you're being sarcastic, the irony here is priceless. :lol

I hope you had a good laugh... :toast

z0sa
01-15-2010, 02:25 AM
I hope you had a good laugh... :toast

mainly the Bonner part. I think everyone hates Finley..

Cry Havoc
01-15-2010, 02:26 AM

I love Finley. He's a great guy. He's just past his prime. :(

ElNono
01-15-2010, 02:29 AM

They're both very attractive expiring contracts... at least it's what we've been hearing since the season started... Manu too...
Too bad there doesn't seem to be any takers...

blkroadrunners
01-15-2010, 02:57 AM
But...but...it's only January...

z0sa
01-15-2010, 03:10 AM
I love Finley. He's a great guy. He's just past his prime. :(

Way past. It's makes one feel empty inside thinking about him playing at all anymore. Especially with Hairston being 'wasted' in Austin - you can only hope Finley hits a few big shots for us when he *finally* returns to health (how long is he overdue now?)

They're both very attractive expiring contracts... at least it's what we've been hearing since the season started... Manu too...
Too bad there doesn't seem to be any takers...

It's true, especially combined .. we'll see what happens. There's still time for big moves, though if we continue playing well it's hard to see Pop and RC approving them. They're confident in this team as constructed IMO.

The_Game
01-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Seriously though, we're starting to see signs from this team, which is obviously great..they're starting to live up to the expectations..

We still need to see an improvement with leads, they still give up way too many leads..they start getting too careless and settling for Js once there's a double-digit lead in our favor..that's something that can be fixed though..

There's also still a big problem at defending the p&r and defending switches around the mid-post and also defending the perimeter within the 3-point line..I don't know how this will improve though, we'll see..

Spurs have always gave up leads in games..even during all your championships seasons. Part of your teams nature...

SpurNation
01-15-2010, 07:20 AM

This.

jb4g
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Spurs have always gave up leads in games..even during all your championships seasons. Part of your teams nature...

agreed, although its the nature of the NBA for this to happen, the other team will always make a run.

twincam
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Remember when Chris Webber came back from a long season injury and got put back into the starting lineup with the Sacramento Kings. He simply HINDERED the team with his presence. The Kings were red hot during that time, until Webber came in and spoiled the team's chemistry.
Therefore, Finley and Bonner should NOT be put into a common rotation and just sit the bench unless they are absolutely need. I hope the Spurs DO NOT ruin the team's current chemistry.

mytespurs
01-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Nothing to get excited about; Spurs too up and down at this point.

Muser
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Remember when Chris Webber came back from a long season injury and got put back into the starting lineup with the Sacramento Kings. He simply HINDERED the team with his presence. The Kings were red hot during that time, until Webber came in and spoiled the team's chemistry.
Therefore, Finley and Bonner should NOT be put into a common rotation and just sit the bench unless they are absolutely need. I hope the Spurs DO NOT ruin the team's current chemistry.

Relating Bonner/Finley to Chris Webber..:lmao

bus driver
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
You can only beat who you play. And we didn't just beat the Lakers, we demolished them.

very true!

who cares if the teams we beat were sub 500, this game is about winning.
:flag: :flag: :flag:

EmptyMan
01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Lakes and Celtics have been posting 10-0 over last 10 numerous times during these recent past seasons.

Spurs are showing signs but it's not a big deal.

hater
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
We also are tied with the best record in the league in the past 20 games:
spurs 15-5
cavs 15-5
lakers 14-6
celtics 13-7

hater
01-15-2010, 11:30 AM

losing big leads has been happening this season to ALL teams. I think it's the way it's officiated. Stern wants to keep the games close.

tp2021
01-15-2010, 11:49 AM

That's different. He came back before he was fully healed, but the Kings expected him to produce his big numbers for them, which he could not do.

Poop would NEVER bring back his injured players before they are ready, and Fin & Bonner aren't as big of contributors to the team as C-Webb was to the Kings. It's not like they will be force-fed to produce 20 ppg like C-Webb was or anything.

phxspurfan
01-15-2010, 12:00 PM
losing big leads has been happening this season to ALL teams. I think it's the way it's officiated. Stern wants to keep the games close.

The talent and coaching gap isn't that big either (besides the Knicks/Nets). This isn't the NFL where teams can sleepwalk their way to wins.

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
It's true, especially combined .. we'll see what happens. There's still time for big moves, though if we continue playing well it's hard to see Pop and RC approving them. They're confident in this team as constructed IMO.

Beating an undermaned lakers team could be the worst thing for the Spurs if they do not try to bring in another quality frontline player because of that win.

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
The spurs will not win a title this year but this summer if they make the necessary additions to the frontline they will have a great chance to win it all next year.

honestfool84
01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
The spurs will not win a title this year but this summer if they make the necessary additions to the frontline they will have a great chance to win it all next year.

:depressed fan.

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
:depressed fan.

The spurs are a year away. Blair and Hill will be better next year and the fo will make the necessary frontline addition but I expect that to happen this summer after they get beat in the playoffs with smallball.

Also Alamo50 is going to San Antonio NEXT YEAR and when he goes the spurs win.

Dex
01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Also, after a horrible start to the month of December, Spurs have gone 19 and 4 to reclaim third place in the West, and are only a half-game back from 2nd place and the Division lead. :smokin

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Also, after a horrible start to the month of December, Spurs have gone 19 and 4 to reclaim third place in the West, and are only a half-game back from 2nd place and the Division lead. :smokin

none of this matters if they can't get past the Lakers. And I do not believe the spurs will beat a healthy Laker team in a 7 game series the way the roster is now.

jag
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
it appears like those who said "It's only December" weren't so delusional, after all.

bobby4germany
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM

WTF :nope

We are playing some of the best ball I have seen in years! Any team that has a healthy Duncan, Parker, and Manu has a chance to win it all.

Do us all a favor and go jump off a cliff!

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:33 PM
WTF :nope

We are playing some of the best ball I have seen in years! Any team that has a healthy Duncan, Parker, and Manu has a chance to win it all.

Do us all a favor and go jump off a cliff!

Nope. False hope off a win over the undermanned Lakers has you not seeing reality.

Dex
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
none of this matters if they can't get past the Lakers. And I do not believe the spurs will beat a healthy Laker team in a 7 game series the way the roster is now.

Tell you what....Why don't you just hold off your on Spurs fandom until they are holding the goddamn trophy, and then you can run out on the streets of SA and pretend like you gave a damn all along, Nostradamus.

Some of us realize that your team doesn't need to be the runaway favorites for the title just to support them.

Bring on the Lakeshow. :rolleyes

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Never understood the belief that you need to believe the spurs will win every year or else your not a fan.

The spurs are one legitimate quality big from being a serious contender for a title this year. You are not getting past the lakers if they are healthy in the playoffs with Bonner getting big minutes and not much depth on the frontline.

Agloco
01-15-2010, 12:48 PM
This season feels an awful lot like 2007. Not too much hope during the regular season, especially with the Mavs running away from the pack and the fact that they had beaten us a year prior.....

All of a sudden, the playoffs roll around and the Spurs play the best ball of the entire season. :toast

rascal
01-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Your only looking at the battle and not the War. The nba season is a long grind like a War and you have to look at the construction of the team and its strenghts and weaknesses not a few wins against non playoff teams and 1 win over an undermanned laker team, thats looking at the battles and not the war.

The spurs are not deep enough on the frontline to beat the lakers in the playoffs and what has happened in the last few games has not changed that.

z0sa
01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Never understood the belief that you need to believe the spurs will win every year or else your not a fan.

It isn't unrealistic expecting the Spurs to be a tough playoff out for any team. So while we may not be the favorites, this is the time for 'Believe.' By NOT believing, you're clearly construing yourself as overly pessimistic and perhaps, even fairweather.

bobby4germany
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Tell you what....Why don't you just hold off your on Spurs fandom until they are holding the goddamn trophy, and then you can run out on the streets of SA and pretend like you gave a damn all along, Nostradamus.

Some of us realize that your team doesn't need to be the runaway favorites for the title just to support them.

Bring on the Lakeshow. :rolleyes

+1 You said it all! It is easy to spot who is just a bandwagon fan.

GO SPURS!

Kool Bob Love
01-15-2010, 12:58 PM
The spurs are a year away. Blair and Hill will be better next year and the fo will make the necessary frontline addition but I expect that to happen this summer after they get beat in the playoffs with smallball.

Also Alamo50 is going to San Antonio NEXT YEAR and when he goes the spurs win.

Who the fuck gives a shit about that....:lol:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:ro llin

tp2021
01-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Your only looking at the battle and not the War. The nba season is a long grind like a War and you have to look at the construction of the team and its strenghts and weaknesses not a few wins against non playoff teams and 1 win over an undermanned laker team, thats looking at the battles and not the war.

Exactly. They still have time to improve. Its not like they are starting the playoffs this weekend against the Lakers with a healthy Pau Gasol. They still have the rest of the season to get better, gauge their strengths and weaknesses, and address them via trade or signing a vet off the waiver wire.

Plus, you are overlooking the possibility that as the season reaches its end, Ratliff will get more burn, and he has shown to be absolutely ready anytime his number is called. Who knows, maybe Ian will continue to improve and become a contributor to the team, or a part of a trade to help the team get better.

Lastly, while I'm throwing hypotheticals out there, imagine Bonner raining 3s on the Lakeshow without choking!

Dex
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM

The spurs are one legitimate quality big from being a serious contender for a title this year. You are not getting past the lakers if they are healthy in the playoffs with Bonner getting big minutes and not much depth on the frontline.

And I've never been one to believe in counting your team out before they've had a chance to play the games. What's the point of being a fan in that case? To wait 'til next year?

Spurs were highly unfavored and untested in 2003. Championship.

They also could've been considered underdogs against Detroit in 2005. Championship.

Hell, I even happen to remember a certain squad in 2007 starting slow and struggling to gel. People questioned their legs and their heart. Championship.

No one says you have to believe your team is going to win every year to be a fan. But prognosticating that the Spurs have no chance is just riding the other end of the spectrum, isn't it?

Anybody with half a basketball brain can tell the Lakers are favored over the Spurs this year. My point is that the favored team doesn't always win, especially in basketball. You have no idea what is going to happen between now and then, and you have no idea what could happen throughout a seven game series, as much as you want to come on here and pretend like you do.

The games are played for a reason, and that's why we all watch. If titles were based on perception, the League would've just handed the damn Lakers the trophy on day 1.

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2010, 01:51 PM
spurs been coastin in and out of wins/losses

this team is better than what the record indicates, trust me

when puppet wakes up, we show whose the puppets in the league

easjer
01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
it appears like those who said "It's only December" weren't so delusional, after all.

:toast

They are where I hoped and wanted them to be, provided they continue the recent streak of gelling/improving/correcting mistakes and errors.

draft87
01-15-2010, 02:49 PM
The hottest team in the NBA. :flag: :flag: :flag:

Following the Cavs last second loss, we are 8-2 over the last 10, the only team to post such a record.

Boston is 4-6
Orlando is 4-6
Atlanta is 5-5
LA is 6-4
Dallas is 5-5

Go Spurs Go.

You know, you mention the Cavs loss which means that someone beat them. You can't ignore that. I'm stoked on the recent Spurs play. There are a couple blemishes to the streak but I'll take it and hope for continued improvement but I have to acknowledge the other success in the league.

Utah and Chicago are the only two other teams in the league that are on 3 game winning streaks. Utah just beat Cleveland in a game where Deron Williams re-injured his wrist. Their 3rd string guard hit the game winning 3. Utah is only 3 games behind San Antonio. You have to respect what the teams below as much as you respect the teams above.

Chicago just beat Boston. Yes, like LA they were without stars but they are a very talented team that can bring it on any given night.

We have to recognize these team's success because

a) it's similar to our level of success
b) we're playing both of them soon

rascal
01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
And I've never been one to believe in counting your team out before they've had a chance to play the games. What's the point of being a fan in that case? To wait 'til next year?

Spurs were highly unfavored and untested in 2003. Championship.

They also could've been considered underdogs against Detroit in 2005. Championship.

Hell, I even happen to remember a certain squad in 2007 starting slow and struggling to gel. People questioned their legs and their heart. Championship.

No one says you have to believe your team is going to win every year to be a fan. But prognosticating that the Spurs have no chance is just riding the other end of the spectrum, isn't it?

Anybody with half a basketball brain can tell the Lakers are favored over the Spurs this year. My point is that the favored team doesn't always win, especially in basketball. You have no idea what is going to happen between now and then, and you have no idea what could happen throughout a seven game series, as much as you want to come on here and pretend like you do.

The games are played for a reason, and that's why we all watch. If titles were based on perception, the League would've just handed the damn Lakers the trophy on day 1.

The spurs were better than Detroit. I did not think Detroit would beat the Spurs in the finals. In matter in fact the spurs will never lose a finals. They may not get back in a finals again (they may get one more title max) ever.

San Antonio will not support a nonplayoff losing team for long, after this successful run, since Robinson/Duncan. there is more of a chance they will move before they rebuild after Duncan retires.

There were no teams in any of those years as good as the lakers are this year. Unless the spurs make a move to add a quality frontline player or the Lakers are hit with key injuries the spurs will not win this year.

hater
01-15-2010, 03:01 PM
The spurs were better than Detroit. I did not think Detroit would beat the Spurs in the finals. In matter in fact the spurs will never lose a finals. They may not get back in a finals again (they may get one more title max) ever.

San Antonio will not support a nonplayoff losing team for long, after this successful run, since Robinson/Duncan. there is more of a chance they will move before they rebuild after Duncan retires.

There were no teams in any of those years as good as the lakers are this year. Unless the spurs make a move to add a quality frontline player or the Lakers are hit with key injuries the spurs will not win this year.

wow Nostradamus, that's a bleak picture

- spurs have no chance of winning
- then the spurs franchise will move out

what else? a major earthquake will level San Antonio? :lol

truth is, Spurs have as much chance as Lakers/Celtics/Cavs to win the championsihp. That is a pretty damn good chance. beleive it or not

buujness
01-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Wait, what? Where do you come to the conclusion that the Spurs will move after the Tim Duncan era? There are plenty of teams that have had dry spells and stayed in the same city throughout the dry spell until the team was a contender again. The Spurs have been in San Antonio for over 30 years and the fans supported them even when they didn't have the success that we're seeing during the current era, and it's not like the Spurs are the only example of this: look at the 49ers. They've been relatively unsuccessful since the mid '90s (they were a decent team going into the early '00s, but they weren't perrennial Super Bowl contenders), but they've stayed in San Francisco.

rascal
01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Wait, what? Where do you come to the conclusion that the Spurs will move after the Tim Duncan era? There are plenty of teams that have had dry spells and stayed in the same city throughout the dry spell until the team was a contender again. The Spurs have been in San Antonio for over 30 years and the fans supported them even when they didn't have the success that we're seeing during the current era, and it's not like the Spurs are the only example of this: look at the 49ers. They've been relatively unsuccessful since the mid '90s (they were a decent team going into the early '00s, but they weren't perrennial Super Bowl contenders), but they've stayed in San Francisco.

The spurs would have moved to New Orleans had they not landed Robinson in the draft. San Francisco is a major sports city, San Antonio is not. the spurs have been successful for their entire existence except for the short period of time right before Robinson. That was the time the franchise was close to leaving San Antonio.

Kool Bob Love
01-15-2010, 06:19 PM

http://lemmycaution.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

dbestpro
01-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Yeah, but three of their wins were against teams with losing records.:hat

Dex
01-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Detroit was the defending champions and steamrolled through the playoffs, whereas the Spurs came in with Duncan on two questionable ankles. Yes, the Spurs had home-court advantage, and they likely would've lost without it.

Either way, it's pointless to try to debate claims such as "Spurs can't beat the Lakers this year" or "Spurs will never lose a Finals" when they are predicated upon nothing more than your opinion. But thanks for the prophecies, Mister Cleo.

Hope you enjoy the rest of this pointless season. Must make things pretty boring.

5ToolMan
01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
The spurs would have moved to New Orleans had they not landed Robinson in the draft. San Francisco is a major sports city, San Antonio is not. the spurs have been successful for their entire existence except for the short period of time right before Robinson. That was the time the franchise was close to leaving San Antonio.

Your statement demonstrates you are clueless about the ownership group that has owned the Spurs for almost 15 years. As a group, especially among the largest share holders they are San Antonio and Spur to the core. Get a clue on what you are talking about, or STFU!

superjames1992
01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
This thread was a jinx.

HarlemHeat37
01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
*jinx thread*

;)

gm5k
01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
grown adults who actually believe in jinxes :rollin

I realize you guys may be joking, though.

Chieflion
01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Thread fail.

MemphisSpursFan
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I hate the Spurs losing to inferior teams.

Obstructed_View
01-15-2010, 11:03 PM
The Spurs are now, officially, no longer...

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-15-2010, 11:34 PM
and reality comes crashing down.

Ice009
01-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Stupid thread that didn't really mean a thing.

Cry Havoc
01-16-2010, 12:02 AM
and reality comes crashing down.

Yeah. The Mavs NEVER lose a game.

Oh wait, you're 6-4 over your last 10. We're 7-3. Have fun with that.

Stupid poster that never says a good thing about his "favorite" team.

:toast

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Now we're left wondering what would have happened had this thread never existed..:(..

Chieflion
01-17-2010, 05:38 AM
This thread really sucks.