PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Parker not mad at Barkley

Kori Ellis
04-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Spurs notebook: Parker not mad at Barkley
Web Posted: 04/27/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042705.4E.BKNspurs.notebook.218ce6961.html

Tony Parker said he's not mad at TNT analyst Charles Barkley for criticizing his Sunday night entrance at the SBC Center.

Just disappointed.

TNT's cameras showed Parker walking into the building arm-in-arm with "Desperate Housewives" actress Eva Longoria. He also was wearing a Spurs 2003 championship T-shirt.

"I thought it was very weird the way Tony Parker came in today," Barkley said. "He was very casual, hugging on his girlfriend a little bit. First of all, the Spurs are not the defending champions."

Said Parker: "I'm going to show him better tomorrow. I'm a little bit disappointed he thought that because I am focused. I am ready for the playoffs."

Parker had 12 points, six assists and five turnovers Sunday. He missed 11 of 17 shots while Denver's Andre Miller scored 31.

"Obviously, Charles' favorite team is the Spurs," Parker said. "So he was mad we lost the game. He was mad at me. I can't blame him for that.

A Denver TV reporter asked Miller if he knew who Parker was dating.

"I don't care who his girlfriend is," Miller said.

Probably doubtful: One more day of practice didn't seem to change Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's thoughts on whether Rasho Nesterovic or Devin Brown will play tonight.

"Devin is doubtful doubtful," Popovich said. "Rasho is just doubtful."

Popovich said Tim Duncan's right ankle seemed to come out of his 35-minute performance Sunday OK.

"He was sore obviously, but (his progress) didn't go backward," Popovich said. "He's still on the mend."

No sellout yet: As of late Tuesday afternoon, just under 1,000 tickets were still available for tonight's game.

Recent history says: The Spurs have lost the first game of a best-of-seven series 16 times. They've gone on to win the series just twice.

Both times they lost the opening game at home: their 2003 first-round series against Phoenix and the 2003 Western Conference finals against Dallas.

"We definitely don't want to go to Colorado down 2-0," Manu Ginobili said. "We've been through pressure a lot the previous two years and we handled it well. We'll see what happens (tonight)."

Peeking ahead: Nuggets coach George Karl said he respects the Spurs enough to know they won't head to Denver fearful of playing back-to-back games at the Pepsi Center.

"San Antonio, I'm sure, was not happy about losing a game," he said. "But they're not afraid of beating us once in Denver. I promise you that."

Were the Nuggets to win Game 2, however, Karl said he would take his home-court edge to the bank.

"Now, are they afraid of beating us two out of three in Denver?" Karl asked. "They should be afraid of that."

Hush: Karl believes one key to his team's victory in Game 1 was its ability to keep the SBC Center crowd out of the game. That was accomplished, he said, when the Nuggets were able to keep the Spurs from keeping, or expanding, leads that could have put some frenzy into the partisan throng.

"I thought there were only two or three situations where the pendulum was about to fall down on us," Karl said. "End of the first half was one. End of the third quarter was one. And then the 10-minute mark of the fourth quarter was one. But in every situation we came back and scored and kind of got the score to where the crowd stayed out of the game."

Bring the earplugs: Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony never had the chance to experience a playoff game in front of 35,000 fans at the Alamodome. But he said Tuesday the SBC Center might be the loudest arena in the league.

"This crowd is crazy," Anthony said, "but in a good way."

Kori Ellis
04-27-2005, 12:12 AM
Dealing with distractions
Web Posted: 04/27/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Distraction is damaging to your performance because it interferes with your ability to focus and disrupts flow.

The Spurs are down 1-0 heading into Game 2 of their first-round series against Denver today. One possible reason for their loss, according to many amateur sports psychologists, was that Tony Parker was distracted. The site www.mindtools.com lists sources of distraction and how to cope. How can it apply to Parker? Take a look:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES OF DISTRACTION

Loved ones: You can probably guess where we're headed with this one. TV cameras filmed Parker entering the SBC Center before the game with girlfriend Eva Longoria of “Desperate Housewives.”

Criticism: NBA analyst Charles Barkley, who picked the Spurs to beat Denver, was quick to criticize Parker's entrance. “I thought it was very weird the way Tony Parker came in,” Barkley said on TNT. “He was very casual, hugging on his girlfriend a little bit.”

Teammates: Hey, if Tim Duncan didn't go 7 of 22 from the field for the Spurs in Game 1, maybe Longoria would still be seen as a good-luck charm, like she was in the regular season. Then again, Parker's most memorable regular-season games came against the Golden State Warriors and the Los Angeles Clippers. Do you see them in the West bracket?

Opponents: Denver point guard Andre Miller outclassed Parker in Game 1, scoring 31 points. Perhaps it was a pep talk Denver coach George Karl gave Miller before the game, when he told him that NBA analyst Bill Walton said Parker “would dominate Andre Miller in a short series.” Well, Miller set about making sure the short series part of that statement was accurate.

Frustration at mistakes: No, we're not talking about Parker's public entrance with Longoria this time. Rather, we’re talking about Parker’s play. He hit only 6 of 17 shots, turned the ball over five times and committed five fouls. Some Spurs fans are already wishing Speedy Claxton was back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEALING WITH DISTRACTIONS

Be optimistic: This shouldn't be too tough for Parker. He not only has Longoria, but he's young (22), talented and has an NBA championship under his belt. Did we mention he has Longoria?

Let petty irritations go: Dump Longoria? Um, no. But maybe he should avoid walking in with her in front of the TV cameras.

Prepare and expect more distractions: It's not like the media is going to go away, so the Spurs did what perhaps they consider the next-best thing — Parker and Duncan didn't speak to the media Monday. Of course, we're not exactly rooting for this to continue.

Sleep and rest before big events: On second thought, maybe Parker should dump Longoria. At least until after the playoffs.

T Park
04-27-2005, 12:14 AM
End of the first half was one

exactly how I felt.

IF the Spurs had kept that lead, a much different second half could've been in store.

Wat ifs and could haves dont mean crap.

Time to win game 2 and nut the F up.

mookie2001
04-27-2005, 12:17 AM

NATURALLY, obviously a question designed to make andre look hard

leemajors
04-27-2005, 12:34 AM
ok mookie, whatever. why would he care who his girl is? really, why? does it really have anything to do with the series? is he supposed to be scared of parker b/c he has a famous woman?

milkyway21
04-27-2005, 01:04 AM
hey Barkley! remember Madonna? :D

Kidding aside, I know Barkley IS a big fan of Duncan & the Spurs. He believe in this team, might just want to pump up the Spurs.

Come on Tony. show him you're no loser!

milkyway21
04-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Bring the earplugs: Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony never had the chance to experience a playoff game in front of 35,000 fans at the Alamodome. But he said Tuesday the SBC Center might be the loudest arena in the league.

"This crowd is crazy," Anthony said, "but in a good way."yeah! we're not Detroit-like fans:

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- A fan was arrested Tuesday night after the Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson was struck with a coin at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

...just stop riding on Duncan's shoulders :wtf you Duncan Olympic defender copycat, keep doing that, noise might become 1000X louder than before..you'll need another eardrums before this series is over. :rolleyes

timvp
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Hopefully Eva isn't on Tony's shoulder again in Game Two. Parker needs to focus and play a very good game tonight.

The Spurs don't need any distractions.

milkyway21
04-27-2005, 03:08 AM
so sad that Parker gets almost all the blame for losing the opening to Denver. if we've won, we won't be having this discussion right now.

i think that loss was a lack of team effort.

how about Brent Barry? just 2 attempts in 16 min? :wtf. he needs to shoot more!

And Pops shld consider playing Big Dog more minutes. Why the hell is he on the roster, anyway? a benchwarmer?

we were lucky enough Najera didn't play in the opening. he IS a defensive distraction to Duncan. We didn't take the opportunity. Duncan will be surrounded with MORE big men in the next game...and that would be scary bec. he is still recuperating from his ankle injury.

gospursgojas
04-27-2005, 03:11 AM
I say Tony Parker shows up with Eva tonight and still has a good game to shut everyone up.

whottt
04-27-2005, 03:15 AM
so sad that Parker gets almost all the blame for losing the opening to Denver. if we've won, we won't be having this discussion right now.

i think that loss was a lack of team effort.

how about Brent Barry? just 2 attempts in 16 min? :wtf. he needs to shoot more!

And Pops shld consider playing Big Dog more minutes. Why the hell is he on the roster, anyway? a benchwarmer?

we were lucky enough Najera didn't play in the opening. he IS a defensive distraction to Duncan. We didn't take the opportunity. Duncan will be surrounded with MORE big men in the next game...and that would be scary bec. he is still recuperating from his ankle injury.

Yeah cuz...the starting PG never deserves as much blame as backups, one of whom didn't even play in the 4th quarter when the game was lost.

Mr. Body
04-27-2005, 03:16 AM
Parker is a cocky mutherfucker who hasn't brought it in five straight playoff games. Wearing a 2003 Championship t-shirt the first game of the series? Bush League.

C'mon, Tony, man.

gospursgojas
04-27-2005, 03:20 AM
like a tru pimp:hat

f-yeah. You know how hot Eva is.... errrybody in hollywood wants her.

Tek_XX
04-27-2005, 03:24 AM
What's with the non sellout, is this unusual?

gospursgojas
04-27-2005, 03:26 AM
ohh defenatly..... shes already been married. But she is the "hot chick" of the moment since that show

milkyway21
04-27-2005, 03:27 AM
i understand, but are pt guards like QBs?

i think it's the players that are supposed to make points for the team.eg. Barry.
QBs are the "playmakers". They run the show, do the coach's game plan, make plays, but not necessarily there to make a goal. Hey when was the last time Andre Miller finished with the most points for the Nuggets, huh?

just too bad the opposing team's highest scorer was their pt guard and TP had 5 turnovers and shoot just 35% FG.

milkyway21
04-27-2005, 03:33 AM
that is fucken wierd....if anyone can fly me down from canada n buy me one ticket i am all gameyou're from Canada. and you're not cheering for Nash? that's great news :rolleyes

Neonmoon83
04-27-2005, 05:28 AM
I don't mind Tony taking some of the blame for our loss, but Eva Longoria? LMAO! That's just fuckin sad! They showed him walking in with her for what? like not even 5 seconds! That's his girlfriend. What is he suppose to do, push her aside and walk in with him in front of her like he doesn't know her? Riiiiiiiiight! This argument is ridiculous and has gotten way out of hand. Im a huge fan of Barkley, but jealous much? I seem to recall him saying at the begining of the game he needs to learn french so he can land Longoria....

1Parker1
04-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Barkley can be a dumbass at times--ALA Bill Walton.

I bet that if that was Manu walking in with Eva on his arm like that, he would have said, "GIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNOBILI, you da man!"

People are blowing this thing outta proportion. Yes, it was a stupid move by Tony to come in with her like that looking so casual and it was even stupider of him to wear his 2003 championship shirt (HELLO, YOU AREN'T THE DEFENDING CHAMPS!), but bottom line is Spurs missed 17 freaking shots in the last 10 minutes of a PLAYOFF game. This isn't the regular season where we can just chalk it up to one more loss in the column and take pride that they are 59-23 or whatever.

No fear, I say Parker will back up Walton's comments tonight and go crazy on Miller. :)

Sportcamper
04-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Uhhh Parker is not big enough to be “MAD” at Sir Charles... :lol

GrandeDavid
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Opponents: Denver point guard Andre Miller outclassed Parker in Game 1, scoring 31 points. Perhaps it was a pep talk Denver coach George Karl gave Miller before the game, when he told him that NBA analyst Bill Walton said Parker “would dominate Andre Miller in a short series.” Well, Miller set about making sure the short series part of that statement was accurate.

Gee thanks, Billy boy! :rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Barkley is just being himslf...nothing should be made of it.

SPURS21
04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
I dunno how walkin' in with a smokin hot girlfriend distracts you or makes you play worse

if ur dating Eva Longoria your play should improve

bigzak25
04-27-2005, 11:31 AM
tony didn't have eva as an excuse last year or when he dissappeared from time to time during our spurs championship run....lets not blame the poor girl now. it's all on tony, and regular season consistency and improvement is great, but it's money time now, earn your contract Tony. critisicm don't stop til he leads our spurs to the championship.

50 cent
04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
This crap has gotten beyond stupid. I think Tony should walk in with Eva on one arm and Jessica Alba on the other tonight in a tux. Then he'll go off with 50 points, 14 assists, and 10 rebounds.

He just wasn't pimpin it hard enough pre-game 1. :smokin

Phonzie20
04-27-2005, 03:28 PM

NATURALLY, obviously a question designed to make andre look hard

Maybe he doesn't? I don't.

Phonzie20
04-27-2005, 03:51 PM
the Question was designed to make miller look hard

it was a set up, a fat fastball down the middle of the plate, etc.

I know that. I've seen this in every sport when it's all on the line. This is nothing new.

I was throwing it out there is a black-and-white simple reply.

Obvious
04-27-2005, 03:56 PM
I bet that if that was Manu walking in with Eva on his arm like that, he would have said, "GIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNOBILI, you da man!"
Manu is not so immature or stupid to do that.

ducks
04-27-2005, 04:05 PM
he could have been like james and take his shirt offf and walkout if that would make you happier

Phonzie20
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Manu is not so immature or stupid to do that.

Nobody would... Except Shaq.

romsho
04-27-2005, 04:46 PM
If I never see Eva Longwhoria again it will still be too soon. Enough already. Speedy Claxton bailed out Parker in the 03 playoffs -saved our ass. Tony Parker is talented but inconsistent, and I wouldn't exactly call him clutch. He has alot to prove and it starts tonight.

Spurminator
04-27-2005, 04:47 PM
I have a feeling about Tony tonight.

A good one.

I'll say it here: 30+ points.

There.

Obstructed_View
04-27-2005, 04:57 PM
yeah! we're not Detroit-like fans:

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- A fan was arrested Tuesday night after the Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson was struck with a coin at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

...or Nuggets fans. Remember the game when they were throwing coins on the court because of a supposed bad call? Bernie Bickerstaff had to get on the PA and tell them to stop acting like animals.

ducks
04-27-2005, 05:16 PM
as long as eva did as well

I have seen better breast

1Parker1
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
he could have been like james and take his shirt offf and walkout if that would make you happier

Well, if Parker did that Ducks, that certainly would have made ME happier after the loss :lol

tekdragon
04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Parker needs to roll in like Michael Irvin tonight...

Middle of Texas summer in a full-length fur coat and a purple suit with matching fedora. Don't forget the cane...full pimp mode in effect.