PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Center: Home of the Spurs

duncan228
01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
AT&T Center: Home of the Spurs (http://stadiumjourney.com/2010/01/att-center-home-of-the-spurs/)
Review by Aaron Novinger, Stadium Journey Correspondent

http://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/IMG_0855-300x225.jpg

The AT&T Center’s slogan, “something for everyone”, rings true in many regards. Opened in 2002, it is a state-of-the-art facility that provides a variety of seating options to meet your needs, as well as an eclectic selection of concession stands that offer local San Antonio themed restaurants. The four-sided LED scoreboard above center court dazzles you with its replays and 10-pixel graphics. Team banners and retired jerseys drape the rafters briefing you on the history of the San Antonio Spurs.

FANFARE SCORE: 31.5

Food & Beverage: 5

If San Antonio is known for one thing, it is food. The AT&T Center represents that with a local variety that covers everything from Texas barbecue to burgers and tacos. Some of the local restaurants featured include: Bexar County Barbecue, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, and River City Grille. Having such variety impressed me, as I found myself sharing a sampling of each with friends—a little bean burrito, a little cheeseburger and fries, and I even ate my fair share of standard concession stand nachos. And yes, the Center does also offer the regular concession menus.

Pricing for the concession menu items was rather standard to all arena prices, and I hardly noticed any bump in the restaurant prices.

Also, I heard that the San Antonio Express-News has a newspaper-themed bar on the 100-level, but I did not get to see that. I did venture down the Terrace Suite hall and found the Terrace Suite Restaurant, which features a full buffet and bar. Numerous flat screen TVs hang throughout, so there is no chance of missing any NBA action. Just past the buffet is an exit to an outside patio where you can look down upon a giant flat screen to the left, and to the right, a live band stages its game-long gig.

Atmosphere: 5

Aside from the competitive game, the AT&T Center is simply made for fun. The acoustics maintain the high level of energy from the fans and the high-tech PA system. The 360-degree LED banner adds a lively brilliance to the arena, as does the custom scoreboard.

http://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/IMG_0863-300x225.jpg

Sitting in a Terrace Suite combined the feel of a living room with the arena. In the suites, couches and ottomans face a plasma TV that features the game. You can choose your camera angle by changing the channel. The employees are friendly and quite helpful in stocking your refrigerator with sodas, bottled waters, local beers or the ol’ standby Coronas and Coors Lights. Ushers can be found easily and the overall cleanliness of the arena is held to a high standard.

Just past the “living room” area, you can sit and eat at the bar and watch the action on the court, or you can take a seat in the plush, leather section that extends in front of the suite. There are three rows of seats surrounded by very clear glass panes.

http://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ATT-Center-Suite-300x225.jpg
Living the good life- a suite at AT&T Center

If you have a large group of friends to split the cost, a suite is well worth the price. Surveying the other 18,500 seats in the arena, there does not seem to be a bad view; and, they all look to have nice leg room.

Neighborhood: 3

Because of its location on the east side of the city, The AT&T Center almost has an isolated feel to it. That area is not as developed as the downtown area of the Alamodome; so if you are looking to grab a bit of Texas history while visiting, you may want to stay at a hotel downtown. There, you can stroll the famous Riverwalk or visit the Alamo grounds.

If you are looking for a nice steak, try the downtown version of the Salt Grass Steak House located at 502 Riverwalk. Want some cheesy nachos or extra cheesy cheeseburger? I recommend Chris Madrid’s located at 1900 Blanco Road.

Fans: 5

Spurs fans are both passionate and quite knowledgeable of the team. At the game I attended, the Spurs were blowing out the opposition until a late surge. The silver and black crowd seemed to help rally the team to a victory and the staff did an excellent job in pumping up the fans and entertaining at the half. Everybody seemed to be enjoying the game and the overall atmosphere.

Access: 4.5

Parking is well-organized with more than 7,000 spaces and the lot has two gates (an east and west) from which to enter. General prices range from $8-15.

Inside the arena, the three-level facility is quite accessible—complete with stairs, escalators, and elevators. Restrooms are plentiful and easy to find. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and will assist you with any questions you may have.

Return on Investment: 5

Spurs tickets can be found for reasonable prices through a variety of ticket sellers. Being my first time at the AT&T Center, I was amazed at how beautiful the facility is from both the outside and the inside. With 60 suites and more than 18,000 seats to choose from, along with the wide variety of concessions and restaurants, there certainly is “something for everybody”.

http://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/IMG_0860-300x225.jpg
Game action at AT&T Center

Etc.: 4

I love my food and beverage, so bonus points are awarded for offering barbecue, burger, concession, TexMex, and buffet options. Helpful and readily available staff is always a plus—the hospitality we received during our first visit to the Center was classy and welcoming. It was a chilly night, so bonus points go out to the arena for having a live band outside. And, the lively atmosphere along with the state-of-the-art technology would keep any sports fan entertained and involved in the event.

Bukefal
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Nice, but I would never want to watch it from a suite. I think when you are at a basketball game, you just need to be really among all the fans and taste and experience the real atmosphere and happening.

superjames1992
01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
I miss when it was called the SBC Center. :(

jb4g
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
at&t center is greatly improved over years past. alot more quality food options and the heb fan zone/bar area is a great place to hang out on slow nights and catch some other games on tv. This is one of the nicer reviews ive seen so obviously the changes are working.

SAtown
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
The location blows and the atmosphere is weak. Going to a game nowadays doesn't have the same feel it had at the Dome.