PDA

View Full Version : you gotta be freaking kidding me, okie st.

Blake
01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
This honestly pisses me off that Tech didn't pull him in first.

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP)—Houston offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen is leaving behind star quarterback Case Keenum and bringing his high-powered attack to Oklahoma State.

The architect of the nation’s top offense was hired Friday as the offensive coordinator of the Cowboys, who finished the season ranked 70th in total offense following back-to-back years in the top 10.

A disciple of former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, Holgorsen has been involved in some of the nation’s top offenses over the past decade. His offense at Houston led the nation with 563 yards and 42.2 points per game last season and finished second behind Tulsa the year before.

Prior to that, Holgorsen spent eight seasons with the Red Raiders, who have finished sixth or better in total offense every year since 2002.

“We’re elated that Dana is joining our staff,” Cowboys coach Mike Gundy said. “He has a great pedigree, and a history of success.”

Gundy didn’t immediately address what would happen to Gunter Brewer, who served as the Cowboys’ offensive coordinator last season after sharing the job with Trooper Taylor the previous year. Oklahoma State averaged 367 yards and 28.4 points last season, down from 488 yards and 40.8 points a year earlier.

The Cowboys led the Big 12 in rushing for the fourth straight season but finished the year with consecutive lackluster performances, totaling just seven points and 15 first downs in losses to Oklahoma in the regular-season finale and Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl. Oklahoma State averaged 184 yards in those two games.

Complicating matters, the Cowboys will be losing their primary offensive weapons—quarterback Zac Robinson and running back Keith Toston completed their careers. Dez Bryant, an All-American at receiver in 2008, also has left school following a suspension by the NCAA and won’t be back for his senior season.

Holgorsen is leaving the Cougars only days after Keenum, the nation’s most prolific passer with 5,671 yards and 44 touchdowns, announced that he would be returning for his senior season instead of entering the NFL draft.

Holgorsen’s offense was partially responsible for the downfall of Oklahoma State last season. The Cowboys were ranked fifth when the Cougars pulled a 45-35 upset in Stillwater behind 512 yards. The game marked both the most points and most yards allowed by OSU this season.

“I am extremely excited about the opportunity to work with coach Gundy and his program at OSU,” Holgorsen said. “I want to thank head coach Kevin Sumlin and the University of Houston for my time in Houston. It’s great to be a part of the Oklahoma State family and to be back in the Big 12.”

no shit you're excited, Gundy......you're getting Leach Jr only without the electrical closets.

:bang

Whisky Dog
01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Tubby didn't want a Leach man as OC, tech never would have hired him.

Blake
01-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Tubby didn't want a Leach man as OC, tech never would have hired him.

you're right, but that still doesn't make me any less pissed.

...Okie St can say goodbye to leading the conference in rushing year after year. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
If this means someone besides Gundy will be calling the plays, that alone can be a very good thing..

MajorMike
01-16-2010, 02:40 AM
I was told Kliff Kingsbury was coming too as a grad asst, and that Holgorsen will be getting a guaranteed contract starting at a base of over 400k plus.

CubanSucks
01-16-2010, 05:26 AM
I don't understand. I thought gundy was the OC considering he won't even watch some defensive series due to drawing up the next drive. He seems to be pretty damn good at it so why the big hire?

MajorMike
01-16-2010, 11:20 AM
One of Gundy's biggest issues is people think he needs to spend more time being a HC and not an OC.

rjv
01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
gundy can handle any changes. he's a man, after all.

MajorMike
01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Now I hear Graham Harrell is going to be on the OSU staff as well.

Blake
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Now I hear Graham Harrell is going to be on the OSU staff as well.

and former Tech O lineman Brandon Jones.

:lol seriously, this sucks.

MajorMike
01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
KK not coming, he got bumped up at Houston.

New Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen, who is still in Houston and will be meeting up with OSU head coach Mike Gundy and Cowboys associate head coach and special teams coordinator Joe DeForest, confirmed during a Thursday afternoon conference call that Oklahoma State is adding to its graduate assistant and quality control coaching staff.

Holgorsen confirmed that Jake Spavital, former Tulsa Union All-State player and Missouri State four-year letterman and Houston graduate assistant; Texas Tech record-setting quarterback Graham Harrell, and former Texas Tech center and graduate assistant coach Brandon Jones will all be joining the Oklahoma State staff.

Graduate assistant coaches are coaches that live in university housing and take graduate courses while assisting the coaching staff. Quality control coaches are really the answer to what replaced the one-time popular, but illegal, limited earnings coaches. Quality control coaches work on the field coaching but are not permitted to recruit off campus. Their salaries are significantly less that full-time coaches in that they have less experience in the field. It is a position that coaches take in order to gain experience in the college environment.

After the recent season, Oklahoma State lost graduate assistant Glen Elarbee, who is now the director of football operations at Toledo for former OSU defensive coordinator Tim Beckman. Quality control coach on offense Walt Bell left to join the Southern Miss staff with former OSU offensive coordinator Larry Fedora.

The Spavital name has a strong history with Oklahoma State as his grandfather, Jim Spavital, was a four-year letterman at Oklahoma State in the decade of the '40s. Jake Spavital was an offensive graduate assistant at Houston last season where his brother is a full-time assistant for the Cougars. Jake's father, Steve, is the head coach at Broken Arrow High School.

Harrell, who played for his father as a high schooler at Ennis, Texas, was a three-year record-setting starter at quarterback for Mike Leach at Texas Tech. In his sophomore and junior seasons he was also coached by then co-offensive coordinator Dan Holgorsen at Texas Tech. Harrell threw for more than 5,000 yards in back-to-back seasons and is one of the most prolific quarterbacks in NCAA history.

Jones started at center for Texas Tech in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. The native of Oregon, Jones served as an offensive graduate assistant this past season at Texas Tech with his major responsibility being organizing the scout teams for the offense each week. In

Blake
01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
If I was an Ok St fan, i wouldn't be wearing boxers and sweatpants in public any time soon.

Tuberville better bring some bad ass defensive shit with him and this new O coordinator from Troy had better work out or I'll be more than pissed.

Dr Cox
01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
jones isnt going any more...just harrell...

cumbie now inside recievers coach at tech...very good keep

Blake
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
cumbie now inside recievers coach at tech...very good keep

there was word early on Tubs would keep him.....they just weren't sure where.

I still can't get over Harrell going to Okie St.

MajorMike
01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
You wanna hear the latest, "He has got to be lying" silly thing I was told?

Boone had Knight talk toLeach and set up a lunch between Gundy/Boone and Leach. Gundy only a day earlier had done an interview with the Tulsa World where he said he would be calling the plays next year and they would not hire an OC. Leach was offered somewhere in the area of 1.5 for a 2 year contract so he could get himself back into coach. He declined, thinking he will have ample opportunities to be a HC this next year, but he is the one that turned Gundy on to DH, knowing he wanted to move to back to BCS for his own future HC gig. DH was hired withing 24 hours of this lunch and less than 48 hours after Gundy told the Tulsa World he would be doing his own thing.

I am also told that Leach very well might be a paid consultant in some capacity next season at OSU to keep some of his NCAA ties open. Apparently his hatred of ttek is so much that his is willing to help OSU until he gets a new job.

Believe me or don't, but I know some pretty reliable people.

Blake
01-28-2010, 11:31 AM
You wanna hear the latest, "He has got to be lying" silly thing I was told?

Boone had Knight talk toLeach and set up a lunch between Gundy/Boone and Leach. Gundy only a day earlier had done an interview with the Tulsa World where he said he would be calling the plays next year and they would not hire an OC. Leach was offered somewhere in the area of 1.5 for a 2 year contract so he could get himself back into coach. He declined, thinking he will have ample opportunities to be a HC this next year, but he is the one that turned Gundy on to DH, knowing he wanted to move to back to BCS for his own future HC gig. DH was hired withing 24 hours of this lunch and less than 48 hours after Gundy told the Tulsa World he would be doing his own thing.

I am also told that Leach very well might be a paid consultant in some capacity next season at OSU to keep some of his NCAA ties open. Apparently his hatred of ttek is so much that his is willing to help OSU until he gets a new job.

Believe me or don't, but I know some pretty reliable people.

Based on the fact that both Dana and Graham are headed to Stillwater, I wouldn't discount any of that.

It's sickly funny to me that Ok St is trying to take advantage of this Tech situation by trying to bring in the Leach crew to make sure they get a firm grasp of that ever popular #3 spot in the Big XII South.

In two or three years when both offenses have settled in, there will be some damn good offensive firework explosion games between the two. I'll be looking forward to that.