PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ex-Spur Jackson at home in Carolina

duncan228
01-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Ex-Spur Jackson at home in Carolina (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Ex-Spur_Jackson_at_home_in_Carolina.html)
Jeff McDonald

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — When the Charlotte Bobcats were considering trading for volatile swingman Stephen Jackson earlier this season, one of Larry Brown's first vetting phone calls went to the former best man at his own wedding.

Gregg Popovich gave Jackson a thumbs up.

“When you really know the guy, you know how good a heart he has and what kind of competitor he is,” said Popovich, who coached Jackson with the Spurs for two seasons from 2001-2003. “Even though emotionally he might go over the line from time to time, Larry loves competitors. He loves people who have an edge and a toughness, and Stephen certainly has that.”

Jackson's arrival Nov. 16, after he forced his way out of Golden State, has been perhaps the single biggest factor in Charlotte's transformation into a playoff contender.

Jackson entered the Bobcats' 92-76 victory over the Spurs on Friday averaging 21.1 points since coming to Charlotte. He arrived with baggage — notably his less-than-amicable departure from Golden State, a 2006 incident involving a firearm at an Indianapolis strip club, and a role in the 2004 Pacers-Pistons brawl. Brown has had nothing but rave reviews for Jackson, whom the coach considers to be a misunderstood talent similar to Allen Iverson.

“Just like Allen, sometimes you might say some of this stuff is misguided,” Brown said. “But the fact he wants to win, I just love.”

Jackson, who is on his fourth team since leaving the Spurs, said his latest change of scenery is doing him good.

“I think it's another situation for me to broaden my game and help this organization get to the playoffs,” said Jackson, who had 16 points Friday.

Rest for Duncan? With the Spurs facing the second night of their second back-to-back in five days tonight in Memphis, it is possible that Tim Duncan could be due for another night off.

Earlier this week, Popovich vowed to sit Duncan in “more back-to-backs than we ever have before.” Duncan did not play in the Spurs' win at Oklahoma City on Tuesday, which oddly improved them to 3-0 in games this season without their 11-time All-Star.

Minutes for Malik: Malik Hairston's recent reassignment to Austin said more about the Spurs' desire to get the second-year swingman some minutes than it did about the improving health of Michael Finley.

“Malik had been sitting for a long time, and we thought he should play some games,” Popovich said.

Popovich said Finley, recovering from a sprained left ankle, is still about a week away from returning.

Spursfan 87
01-16-2010, 12:53 AM
the Spurs should had traded for him

EricB
01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Finley has been a week from returning for about 3 weeks now.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Finley has been a week from returning for about 3 weeks now.

And that's fine by me :tu

EricB
01-16-2010, 01:23 AM
And that's fine by me :tu

Thats all fine and good, but when your in a game tonight where guys like Finley and Bonner could've possibly helped, ya never know.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Thats all fine and good, but when your in a game tonight where guys like Finley and Bonner could've possibly helped, ya never know.

True, with the terrible shooting in what was mostly a close game prior to the 4th, some players who could actually hit the long ball would'v really helped.

I can agree with that

EricB
01-16-2010, 01:28 AM
True, with the terrible shooting in what was mostly a close game prior to the 4th, some players who could actually hit the long ball would'v really helped.

I can agree with that

Like i said in the show, this was a night picture perfect usually for Matt Bonner.

Usually in games like this he bags a couple threes, gives the team a little extra pep and they squeek out games like this.

I know I'd have rather seen Finley or Bonner than Marcus freaking Haislip I know that.

TJastal
01-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Like i said in the show, this was a night picture perfect usually for Matt Bonner.

Usually in games like this he bags a couple threes, gives the team a little extra pep and they squeek out games like this.

I know I'd have rather seen Finley or Bonner than Marcus freaking Haislip I know that.

Yah, because that whole 30 minutes he's played so far in the entire season tells us so much about the guy...

spurs1990
01-16-2010, 01:52 AM
How the hell did they lose to the Nets?

Crazymaddopeyo
01-16-2010, 03:21 AM

I don't keep up with them too much, but it seems like they are inconsistent.

Spurs Brazil
01-16-2010, 07:38 AM
TD played 33 minutes yesterday. I think Pop will sit him

Muser
01-16-2010, 08:30 AM
TD played 33 minutes yesterday. I think Pop will sit him

He should, give Blair/McDyess/Ratliff more minutes.

Chomag
01-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Here is a thought about getting Malik minutes Pop. Play him maybe?

TJastal
01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Here is a thought about getting Malik minutes Pop. Play him maybe?

For Bogans or Mason? Or Hill?

Chomag
01-16-2010, 09:23 AM
For Bogans or Mason? Or Hill?

Should be the same question when Finley returns.

Flux451
01-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't mind Finely getting some PT here and there, especially on nights like last night. He still has a consistent jumper.

ffadicted
01-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Hnoestly, unlike a lot of people, I don't mind yesterdays loss. Sure, it was the front end of a back-to-back to the risk is high now of 2 losses in a row, but you can't win 82 games in a year, games like this will happen from time to time.

As for Jackson though, really glad to see him fitting in and playing well in a team, and seems like he is enjoying his role there. Really hope the bobcats make the playoffs this year even if it's a guaranteed first round exit haha

exstatic
01-16-2010, 10:56 AM

In spite of the fact that they are right around .500, they suck ass on the road, like young teams do. I guess that answer to "how the hell did they lose to the Nets?" is that the game was in NJ.

pjjrfan
01-16-2010, 12:39 PM

The Bobcats are one of the better home teams in the league. 15-4, they just don't play that well on the road. The Spurs should have known how tought a game this was going to be, they never showed up IMO.