PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Grizzlies Previews

duncan228
01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
San Antonio (24-14) at Memphis (20-18) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010011629&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EST Sat Jan 16, 2010
TV: FSSW
By Kate Hedlin

Tim Duncan may not want many more nights off if he responds the way he did in his last game.

Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs look to bounce back after an ugly loss Saturday night when they visit the surging Memphis Grizzlies, who look to win a franchise-record eighth straight at home.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich has been monitoring Duncan’s minutes, and rested the 13-year veteran in a 109-108 overtime victory over Oklahoma City on Wednesday. Duncan returned Friday, but was held to 10 points in 92-76 loss at Charlotte - the Spurs’ lowest scoring game of the season.

Duncan, who had not had a day off since November before Wednesday, had averaged 21.6 points and shot 58.0 percent in his previous seven games. He was 4 of 12 from the field against the Bobcats, and wasn’t alone in struggling.

Richard Jefferson, who was averaging 13.2 points, was held to only eight, and the Spurs shot 38.8 percent while blowing a four-point halftime lead as Charlotte went on a 19-2 run spanning the third and fourth quarters.

San Antonio (24-14) had averaged 105.2 points and shot 51.5 percent over its previous five games.

“It’s a typical Larry Brown team,” Popovich said. “Just tenacious, physical, pressure defense. Creating turnovers, creating offense out of turnovers. You knew it coming in. But we reacted poorly to it.”

Friday marked only the third time this season Duncan has scored fewer than 10 points. The last time Oct. 31 was when he tallied seven against Sacramento— he scored 15 in the next game five days later at Utah.

The two-time MVP is averaging 23.2 points against the Grizzlies, the second-highest mark of his career against any opposing team, trailing only Orlando (23.7 ppg).

Duncan and the Spurs now will try to win their sixth straight over the Grizzlies. They have been victorious in their last two visits to Memphis, but extending that streak could be difficult as the Grizzlies continued their winning ways at FedEx Forum with a 135-110 rout of Minnesota on Friday.

Six players scored in double figures and three finished with at least 20, including Zach Randolph, who had 20 and 12 rebounds in just under 30 minutes. The Grizzlies (20-18) shot 58.5 percent and connected on 11 3-pointers.

“We’re becoming a team,” guard Mike Conley said of the balanced scoring. “We’re not just one or two guys that score in the starting five. We have a bunch of guys that can go off any night.”

The win was the Grizzlies’ third in four games overall and 10th in 13 contests. Memphis opened up a tight game with a 40-point third quarter, allowing the team to rest its starters in the fourth ahead of a much tougher opponent.

Randolph continued his outstanding play despite playing his fewest minutes since November. After splitting time with New York and the Los Angeles Clippers last season, Randolph is averaging 24.5 points and 14.1 rebounds in the last 13 games.

In 21 career matchups against the Spurs, though, Randolph has put up 14.2 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

Team Stat Leaders

Zach Randolph Mem 20.4

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 10.4
Zach Randolph Mem 11.4

Assists
Tony Parker SA 5.9
Mike Conley Mem 4.9

Chieflion
01-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Total change of pace. Going against a team whose focus is offense after a night against a team whose best virtue is lockdown defense, I want to see how this team responds from a total beatdown.

duncan228
01-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Saturday: Spurs (24-14) at Grizzlies (20-18) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Saturday_Spurs_24-14_at_Grizzlies_20-18.html)

Time: 7 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - GRIZZLIES

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 11 Mike Conley (6-1, 3rd yr)
Parker’s scoring up six points a game since beginning of new year.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 32 O.J. Mayo (6-4, 2nd yr)
Despite recent cold spell, Bogans still shooting career-best 44.1 percent.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 22 Rudy Gay (6-8, 4th yr)
Gay, Randolph and Mayo all average at least 18 points.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 50 Zach Randolph (6-9, 2nd yr)
There’s a good chance Duncan could sit out second night of back-to-back.

C - 45 DeJuan Blair (6-7, 1st yr) - 33 Marc Gasol (7-1, 11th yr)
Blair played with Memphis’ Young in college, and vs. Memphis’ Thabeet.

SPURS RESERVES

20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
22 Marcus Haislip, F, 6-10, 4th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
28 Ian Mahinmi, C/F, 6-11, 3rd yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
24 A. McDyess, F, 6-10, 14th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr

GRIZZLIES RESERVES

1 DeMarre Carroll, F, 6-8, 1st yr
26 Lester Hudson, G, 6-3, 1st yr
45 Steven Hunter, F/C, 7-0, 9th yr
34 Hasheem Thabeet, C, 7-3, 1st yr
10 Jamaal Tinsley, G, 6-3, 8th yr
5 Marcus Williams, G, 6-3, 3rd yr
4 Sam Young, F/G, 6-6, 1st yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Grizzlies: Lionel Hollins

INJURIES

Spurs: Michael Finley (sprained left ankle) and Matt Bonner (fractured right hand) are out.
Grizzlies: Darrell Arthur (right pectoralis surgery) is out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Malik Hairston, Bonner, Finley
Grizzlies: Arthur, Hamed Haddadi

NOTABLE

Spurs have won 14 of 16 and five in a row against Memphis, including four-game sweep of the season series last year. ... Grizzlies are 18-10 since waiving Allen Iverson on Nov. 17. ... Memphis is NBA’s youngest team, with 10 players born in 1985 or later.

— Jeff McDonald

duncan228
01-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Spurs Provide Measuring Stick for Grizzlies (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-spursprovidemeasurin&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Although the Grizzlies have improved this season, it’s still going to be tough for them to make the playoffs in the Western Conference—in fact, it’s going to be tough simply not to finish last in the Southwest Division, where every team is over .500. They’ll try to make a midseason statement tonight against the division rival Spurs, who have a 14-2 record against Memphis over the last four years.

Zach Randolph, who was added in an offseason trade, has been a key part of the Grizzlies turnaround this season. “I know he’s always been a good player, but they’ve done a phenomenal job with him, getting him in positions where he can score,” said Bobcats coach Larry Brown, whose team faced the Grizzlies last week. “He’s more a complete player now. … If you don’t have a true four man or a shot blocker behind him, it’s pretty tough.” Of course, the Spurs do have a true four man in Tim Duncan—he and Randolph are both averaging over 20 points and 10 rebounds.

EricB
01-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Could be looking at a starting 5 of

Ratliff
Blair
Jefferson
Bogans
Parker

We shall see how it goes.

If the Grizzlies stay big the whole game most likely Mahinmi sees minutes.

Blackjack
01-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Mahinmi really has been impressive in his short stints. That was a nice move he had for the lay-in, a hell of a Robinson-esque left-handed block of a dunk attempt, and he even made a good read and interior pass to 'Slip (IIRC) with his back to the basket.

That's probably been the most pleasant surprise I've seen from Ian in his first two bouts of action: he's exhibited a real maturity, composure and purpose on the court that makes him look like he belongs; the guy just used to look lost and anxious/awkward in the past.

For him to be out essentially two years and be that hungry to play, it says a lot about his growth that he was able to harness all that and put together a game like he did against Lopez; I really hope Pop sees to giving him a chance to steal some minutes for their older frontline as we hit the dog days of the regular season.

HarlemHeat37
01-16-2010, 02:46 AM
It's not like he was playing against scrubs too, Charlotte had their rotation guys in there..

That double-team really impressed me..he read the play, he realized that he had a smaller guy covering him and that they would send a double since he just scored, he waited for it, and made a great pass to the open Haislip under the net..

The move and the block didn't surprise me at all, Ian can ball..

TBH, I watched the entire SL and the majority of preseason, and Ian moved better in the 2 NBA games we've seen him in so far, which speaks volumes on how the guy simply seems more interested in playing against better competition..

If Duncan doesn't play in this game, there's absolutely no excuse not to have legit bigs playing, especially Ian..Memphis is a load inside..

Blackjack
01-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Agree, he does seem to rise to the level of his opposition.

I think we've also gotta remember that he was trying to regain the confidence in his body and find his game during that SL and preseason; something that was lost on most when making their judgments. Someone at the early stages of an NBA career, and their development, has a hard enough time finding their way. But throw in a couple of consecutive injuries and significant downtime away from the court, and it's hard to knock a guy for not looking all that great upon his return..

Ian had some rather unfortunate and untimely injuries, but they weren't anything to be that discouraged from; this team did just spend most of the MLE on 'Dyess.

It sucks that they put this much time, money and energy into him, but will most likely never bear the fruit..

blkroadrunners
01-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Duncan should play....he only played about 32 minutes last night. Despite this being a home game, Memphis is a much better team not to pass up on.

easy7
01-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I hope this is not the game where the "Grizzlie" Blair turns on the Spurs ala WWE, and rips his Spurs shirt to show a "Grizzlie" jersey underneat after dunking on the Spurs in the last 2 seconds to win the game for Memphis... :lmao

Chomag
01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I wonder if Thabeet will be hiding his arms under his jersey the whole game.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2010, 09:58 AM
if lose this game?

makes the lakers win and thunder win a waste of effort

very disappointed....

Chomag
01-16-2010, 10:02 AM
if lose this game?

makes the lakers win and thunder win a waste of effort

very disappointed....

I'm not all that worried. I think the Spurs will come out strong in this game after letting themselves down in the last. If I'm wrong though... I completely agree.

Lets hope our guys come to play tonight!:toast

shelshor
01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Referee Assignments
Sat. Jan 16
San Antonio @ Memphis: Marc Davis; Eric Dalen; Joe Forte

Bukefal
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I think we will win this one, so long there is effort.

Let's hope to see a great game!! :flag::flag::flag:

tlongII
01-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Spurs playing a +.500 team = LOSS.

Muser
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Spurs playing a +.500 team = LOSS.

30-8 and 21-17 are -.500? Damn I need to go back to school.

westbound17
01-16-2010, 12:36 PM
duncan must play, the Grizz are in serious business this season.

duncan228
01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
San Antonio Spurs (24-14) at Memphis Grizzlies (20-18) (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/wires/story/1428829.html)

The San Antonio Spurs have a good chance at getting back into the win column when they pay a visit to the Southwest Division-foe Memphis Grizzlies tonight at FedEx Forum.

San Antonio, which had a three-game winning streak stopped with Friday's 92-76 setback at Charlotte, has won five straight and 15 of the past 18 meetings with the Grizzlies. The Spurs are also unbeaten in their previous two trips to Memphis.

In last night's loss to the Bobcats, rookie DeJuan Blair had 11 points and a game-best 16 rebounds for the Spurs, who were coming off a 109-108 overtime decision at Oklahoma City on Wednesday and are 1-1 on a four-game road trip. Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and George Hill scored 11 points apiece, while Tim Duncan, who was given the night off against the Thunder, ended with 10 points, nine rebounds and five assists.

"The Bobcats did a great job of being aggressive and being physical in the second half and we reacted to that very poorly," Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said. "They made it tough for us to score and they created turnovers because of it and did a great job."

The Spurs will also visit New Orleans and are 7-8 away from the Alamo City this season. They are 1 1/2 games behind Dallas for the division lead.

Memphis will continue a four-game homestand this evening and has won two straight and 10 of 13 games, including last night's 135-110 victory versus the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Zach Randolph posted 20 points, 12 rebounds and five assists for the Grizzlies, who have won seven in a row at home. Rudy Gay netted 21 points and O.J. Mayo added 20 with seven assists in the win. Mike Conley scored 18 points with eight assists for Memphis.

"It's definitely a lot of fun to be a part of a game like when everybody is playing well, playing together and looking out for one another," Conley said on the team's site. "It was a good team win. We're becoming a team. We're not just one or two guys that can score. We have a bunch of guys that can go off on any night and we know that. We play off of each other."

The Grizzlies, who have never won eight straight at home, will also host Phoenix on the current residency and are 13-5 in Memphis this season.

duncan228
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
San Antonio Spurs +1½ to tame Memphis Grizzlies on the road (http://www.sbrforum.com/Free+Picks/NBA/13133/san-antonio-spurs-1-tame-memphis-grizzlies-the-road.aspx)
By: Al McMordie

The Grizzlies have been hot, but they are still playing no defense and the Spurs simply have their number, winning 14 of 16 meetings with many of them routs. Take the Spurs tonight.

The Memphis Grizzlies are playing good basketball, as they're 18-10 since waiving Allen Iverson on November 17.

But they have not had much success of late vs. the San Antonio Spurs, who are 14-2 over the last 16 meetings, including a four-game sweep of the season series last year. I expect Gregg Popovich's crew to be in an ornery mood following a dismal second half last night vs. the Bobcats, who stifled San Antonio en route to a 92-76 Charlotte win.

But going into that game, the Spurs were the NBA's hottest team, and had won 15 of their previous 19 games dating back to December 9. San Antonio was averaging over 102 ppg, but Charlotte (like the Spurs) generally plays strong defense, so it was not much of a surprise that the Spurs were held to their season-low offensive output.

Memphis, on the other hand, doesn't play great defense (they gives up over 104 ppg), and has lost five straight games to the Spurs (four by double-digits).

Take San Antone.

Free Pick: Spurs +1½ (-110)

Matchup (http://www.sbrforum.com/Stats/NBA/Matchup/20100116/512.aspx)
Moves (http://www.sbrforum.com/Scores/NBA+Odds/59705/Side.aspx)

tlongII
01-16-2010, 01:48 PM
30-8 and 21-17 are -.500? Damn I need to go back to school.

I will be calling in to The Kori Ellis Show tonight to give you some lessons.

TD 21
01-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Whether Duncan (any word on McDyess? Since I've read nothing to the contrary, I'll assume he's playing) plays or not, if Pop doesn't play one of Mahinmi (preferably) or Ratliff, he should be shot. As HarlemHeat correctly alluded to, the Grizzlies are a load inside. On top of that, the Spurs are likely to look dead-legged again and will probably be going through the motions. With Mahinmi that won't happen. He'll be so pumped just to get on the court that at the very least he'll provide a set of much needed fresh legs and a dose of energy and intensity.

I actually like the fact that the Spurs are facing a team with two traditional, powerhouse big men, because they'll likely force Pop's hand into playing big. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they play Gay as their backup four (their backup bigs are weak), which would allow for Pop to counter with Jefferson as well as Bogans playing some four. Hopefully the Grizzlies mostly stay big.

Muser
01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I will be calling in to The Kori Ellis Show tonight to give you some lessons.

I'l be in bed, sorry :depressed.

lennyalderette
01-16-2010, 08:00 PM
lets do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CMon los spurs hahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! what ever happened to those terrible jerseys anyway