PDA

View Full Version : Definition: Letdown Game

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2010, 06:20 AM
LETDOWN GAME

Definition: a game in which a team which has recently won one or more psychologically important games experiences inexplicable diminished capacity - a lack of energy, chemistry, and will to win, and an inability to respond to crisis (ie. stop runs or makes runs). Importantly, a letdown game generally appears to be a major setback in that it reverses the recent trend in quality of play by the team in question.

I think today's loss to the Bobcats (who, incidentally are a very strong defensive team and much better than a lot of people think they are - for mine, they are a playoff team in the East, not that that is saying much), is not the Spurs suddenly coming to pieces and losing all the chemistry they've been building for a month, but rather a LETDOWN GAME as a result of two important wins that sapped a lot of strength from an already injury-depleted team.

They will bounce back tomorrow with a close win or a hard fought loss, not sure which.

Discuss.

Chieflion
01-16-2010, 06:29 AM
A team led by Larry Brown would give any team fits. Mentally, this team isn't ready yet. We have a leader like Duncan saying that we still a lot of ways to go before the Spurs reach their peak. Look, I have no problem with his statement. That statement is true. However, it does show the team's current confidence level. If Duncan says something else like, this team can beat any team in the league night in and night out, I think it would boost the confidence level of the team. The team first has to believe that they can destroy any team in the league, this mindset has to be there.

Sports is not only physical, but mental. This Spurs team lacks confidence. They have the skills, someone has to have the gall to say, let's go out and win.

TJastal
01-16-2010, 07:21 AM
LETDOWN GAME

Definition: a game in which a team which has recently won one or more psychologically important games experiences inexplicable diminished capacity - a lack of energy, chemistry, and will to win, and an inability to respond to crisis (ie. stop runs or makes runs). Importantly, a letdown game generally appears to be a major setback in that it reverses the recent trend in quality of play by the team in question.

I think today's loss to the Bobcats (who, incidentally are a very strong defensive team and much better than a lot of people think they are - for mine, they are a playoff team in the East, not that that is saying much), is not the Spurs suddenly coming to pieces and losing all the chemistry they've been building for a month, but rather a LETDOWN GAME as a result of two important wins that sapped a lot of strength from an already injury-depleted team.

They will bounce back tomorrow with a close win or a hard fought loss, not sure which.

Discuss.

I thought the bigger letdown game was against the thunder. Pop's decision to bench Duncan in that game (among other bad decisions, ie playing a shortened rotation on a B2B with no shotblockers, etc) ultimately broke the continuity, cohesion, and confidence of the team and it especially showed in the 2nd half when the team was gassed and had to squeak by on a lucky last second shot to win the game. Might as well have called it a loss, because in reality that's what it was.

Of course, all the morons here on ST were cheerleading furiously.. threads popping up proclaiming the spurs were unbeatable yada yada yada. Even some moronic thread titled "Is this a turning point for the spurs??".

This let-down game against the bobcats was kind of inevitable after the thunder game IMO. Things are probably going to take awhile longer to improve this time, depending on how long POop continues to make stupid decisions.

This is the 2nd time this month Pop has derailed a winning streak and crushed the teams' morale and confidence with this strategy of benching his best player on B2B's against teams who are extremely hot (the raptors) or give the spurs problems (thunder). And i's not like Timmy is playing high minutes. Kobe's been averaging like 50 a game for the past month. Timmy played a whole 40 minutes against the lakers, whoopee doo. He could have suited up and played 20-25 againt the thunder and helped the spurs coast to an easy win without breaking a sweat hardly. If he wants to rest Duncan on B2B's that's the much smarter way to do it.

I have no idea what's coming next from him .. if he's going to try Ratliff, Mahinmi, Haislip, Bonner, Finley..

Seems like in the last 5 minutes of the game he went a little haywire after overdosing on small ball last night. Maybe that and all the wine he drank finally jolted his brain enough to realize so much small ball ain't helping the team.

Muser
01-16-2010, 08:28 AM
As funny as it is to say Matt Bonner would of really helped this game, the offense stagnated.

spurspokesman
01-16-2010, 08:39 AM
A team led by Larry Brown would give any team fits. Mentally, this team isn't ready yet. We have a leader like Duncan saying that we still a lot of ways to go before the Spurs reach their peak. Look, I have no problem with his statement. That statement is true. However, it does show the team's current confidence level. If Duncan says something else like, this team can beat any team in the league night in and night out, I think it would boost the confidence level of the team. The team first has to believe that they can destroy any team in the league, this mindset has to be there.

Sports is not only physical, but mental. This Spurs team lacks confidence. They have the skills, someone has to have the gall to say, let's go out and win.
I agree for the most part. Also I believe that they got a little complacent and full of themselves after finally beating meaningful teams and just thought because they beat la in the form they did that they should be able to at least eek out a win without tim. WRONG. This team still lacks mental toughness. Something that is much needed. Players like kobe garnett and sjax infect there teams with this attitude. We have to many nice guys on are team. We need an enforcer. Tim is a beast but rather softspoken.even when kg is not playing he mentally pumps up his team. He made davis cry but don't tell me he doesn't play with heart. They are struggling without him out there getting in there faces to prove my point. Add pops stubborn mind to the equation and u have a recipe for disaster. To better describe our spurs. all the tools with wrong work ethic.

TJastal
01-16-2010, 08:50 AM
The big man rotation going forweard should be IMO

Starters: Duncan / Mahinmi (give him a try & see what he's got, can always use Ratliff later if things don't work out)

1st off bench: McDyess (for Mahinmi, early depending on fouls and how he's doing)

2nd off: Blair (for Duncan)

3rd: Bonner (depending on matchups and how Dice is playing): Blair's warmed up by now so Bonner's 3 point shooting works to help open up the paint even more for "the Beast"

Minutes (in an average regular season game)

96 to divvy up between PF/C

Duncan 25-30
Mahinmi 10-15
McDyess 15-20
Blair 15-20
Bonner 15-20

TJastal
01-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I agree for the most part. Also I believe that they got a little complacent and full of themselves after finally beating meaningful teams and just thought because they beat la in the form they did that they should be able to at least eek out a win without tim. WRONG. This team still lacks mental toughness. Something that is much needed. Players like kobe garnett and sjax infect there teams with this attitude. We have to many nice guys on are team. We need an enforcer. Tim is a beast but rather softspoken.even when kg is not playing he mentally pumps up his team. He made davis cry but don't tell me he doesn't play with heart. They are struggling without him out there getting in there faces to prove my point. Add pops stubborn mind to the equation and u have a recipe for disaster. To better describe our spurs. all the tools with wrong work ethic.

That's baloney. I watch these guys all the time pumping each other up, chest bumping, slapping each other on the rears, high fives. Are you saying just because they don't act like assholes like Garnett getting down all all 4's and taunting other players or Rasheed getting technicals every other game or Sjax shooting his fucking mouth off every other day they aren't playing with attitude?

This is part of the reason I'm a fan of this team, they don't need to do all that stupid shit to play with an edge. Nah, the problems aren't with the players at all brah.

KidCongo
01-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Cavs always have these types of games against the Bobcats. So frustrating.

Chomag
01-16-2010, 09:15 AM
As funny as it is to say Matt Bonner would of really helped this game, the offense stagnated.

This team was taking way to many jump shots as is. I seem to be the only one that thinks Bonner would not have helped much this game though.:lol

SpurNation
01-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Hard to explain why. Games like that happen all the time with all the teams.

Some days you just don't feel like being at work.

bobby4germany
01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Mehh, it's not a big deal! The spurs will never see the bobcats in the playoffs so your not going to see them play balls to the wall like they did against the fakers.

dbestpro
01-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I do not see this as a let down game. It should be a revelation game. Pop loves playing small ball. Sometimes it has worked sometimes not. The reality that Pop must face is by playing small ball continually he is wearing down his players. try playing a game against someone 4-6 inches taller than you. You might get by occasioanlly on defense but you really have to exert your energy. Now try doing that every game and with guys who are not teenagers.

So the revelation for Pop (when he decides to see it) is that he must play more bigs in order to keep his smalls fresh. If not, the end will not be pretty as injury to the smalls will be the next step.

This loss could become very valuable to the team if Pop will learn that lesson from this loss. Not sure how many more we will have to go through before he has the revelation.

Whisky Dog
01-16-2010, 11:02 AM
This is what you get when you burn your rotation by shortening it on the 2nd night of a b2b after such a hard played emotional win over the Lakers. These guys aren't robots, of course they were going to lose bad. Pop knew that going in and conceded this game. He should have kept Parker and Manu out and played Ian, Haislip, and Hairston heavy minutes.

weebo
01-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Small ball only works against slow unathletic teams, but when you go small against guys like Jack, Diaw, and GWallace you're just begging for an ass pounding.

pjjrfan
01-16-2010, 12:22 PM
It was a let down game, but I don't look at it as a step back, we'll see tonight and monday. The only negative other than being pissed that they couldn't get it going and win the game was Jefferson whining on the bench.

spurs50_
01-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Call me crazy, but I think ,if given the chance, Mahinimi and Haislip can contribute. Haislip hustles and can hit the three and Mahinimi had a good game against the Nets. Yes, it was the Nets , but its not his fault they suck. Give them a chance Pop.

weebo
01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
It was a let down game, but I don't look at it as a step back, we'll see tonight and monday. The only negative other than being pissed that they couldn't get it going and win the game was Jefferson whining on the bench.

The dumbass was late on a rotation so he really has nothing to whine about. This guy has flat out been a bust. Seriously, what is his role on the team?

Hemotivo
01-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Larry Brown

benefactor
01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Though I don't agree with shortening to rotation to 8 players, I don't think that fatigue played a role in this loss. Players like Hill, Mason, Blair and Jefferson can handle the minutes and should have had no problem playing at a high level with one day of rest. They should be able to step up and shoulder the load. I think the players just blew their load mentally after a back to back against two very solid teams and came in unfocused. It happens. I do agree that small ball against the Bobcats was a bad idea though. The threesome of Diaw, Wallace and Jackson will destroy our guards every single time. Mahinmi might not have been a bad idea, especially if Dice is going to sit on the bench all night. It's a much better idea than Haislip, who managed to pull down zero rebounds in his 9 minutes of play.

However, there are a couple of things regarding the minutes that I disagree with. First of all, it is flat out hypocritical to say you want to rest Duncan on a back to back to keep from overplaying him, but expect a tired Parker that is playing with PF and a couple of shaky ankles to play almost 76 minutes in the first two days of a four out of five game stretch. I'd much rather have him rest and Duncan play tonight. I also hope that the trend of the past two games does not continue with Manu. He played 30 minutes against the Thunder and played 28 against the Bobcats...and that was with most of the 4th quarter relegated to garbage time. He probably would have played over 30 again if the game was close. I know he is playing better, but playing him anything over 25mpg is playing with fire. Pop has to resist the urge to overplay Manu in order to keep the team in games.

All in all, I'm still not seeing the issue with playing Hairston and Mahinmi a few minutes just to at least attempt to buy a little time for the stars. I know Hairston is back with the Toros now, but I think he and Mahinmi could have been useful in both the OKC and the Bobcats game.

Tp9gospursgo
01-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Spurs had a rough time with the Bobcats, but we are having a rough schedule. We will win today in Memphis.:king

spurspokesman
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
That's baloney. I watch these guys all the time pumping each other up, chest bumping, slapping each other on the rears, high fives. Are you saying just because they don't act like assholes like Garnett getting down all all 4's and taunting other players or Rasheed getting technicals every other game or Sjax shooting his fucking mouth off every other day they aren't playing with attitude?

This is part of the reason I'm a fan of this team, they don't need to do all that stupid shit to play with an edge. Nah, the problems aren't with the players at all brah.
Easy there. My point is mental toughness.I know the spurs are a classy team and have been for many years. But you can appreciate when your lead guy (tim) would get in the face of a few guys and edge em on. It works. Not that its our motto but tims words hold weight. But this team for the most part still has a mountain to climb. Rather we acknowledge it or not. I'm there for the ride albeit the issues

DJB
01-16-2010, 05:01 PM
a team led by larry brown would give any team fits. Mentally, this team isn't ready yet. We have a leader like duncan saying that we still a lot of ways to go before the spurs reach their peak. Look, i have no problem with his statement. That statement is true. However, it does show the team's current confidence level. if duncan says something else like, this team can beat any team in the league night in and night out, i think it would boost the confidence level of the team. the team first has to believe that they can destroy any team in the league, this mindset has to be there.

sports is not only physical, but mental. This spurs team lacks confidence. They have the skills, someone has to have the gall to say, let's go out and win.

+1

SCdac
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Can't win 'em all....

It was a loss to a tough team we have a very small chance of seeing in the playoffs (obviously it'd have to be the finals, and I don't see Charlotte making the finals), so I don't put much on the loss in the grand scheme, we just got outplayed and outhustled. It was like our 6th game in 10 days, it's going to happen. As long as we're not using small-ball, to a fault, against LA, Dallas, and other WC foes, I'm happy.