PDA

View Full Version : Game Primer: Spurs @ Grizzlies - Jan. 16

timvp
01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
A night after a disappointing loss to the Charlotte Bobcats, the San Antonio Spurs have traveled to Memphis to play the Grizzlies. Unfortunately, these aren't your father's Grizzlies. These Grizzlies are talented, hungry and playing well together. The Spurs will need to play at a high level to leave FedExForum with a W.

Keys to a Spurs Victory

1. Slow Zach Randolph. He's having a very good season, especially at home. In Memphis, Randolph is averaging 22 points, 12.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists, while shooting 51.4% shooting from the field and 85.6% at the line. DeJuan Blair will likely start off on him and will definitely have his hands full. Pushing him out of his comfort zone (without fouling) is the key to defending Randolph.

2. Slow the pace. Memphis is an elite offensive team. They are fourth in the NBA in scoring, averaging 104 points per game. If you let them get out and run, these Grizzlies can outscore anyone. To counter Memphis' attack, the Spurs need to slow the pace and get Tim Duncan established early. If Duncan doesn't play, running pick-and-rolls late in the shot clock is the next best thing.

3. Take care of the ball. A sloppy game would be disaster for San Antonio. Memphis has a number of players who thrive in transition. Turnovers would also be a quick way to get the home crowd going.

Matchup to Watch

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg vs. http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4389.jpg

Early in George Hill's career, O.J. Mayo has been one of his main foils -- dating back to their first summer league matchups. Hill is coming off a poor game but he's the best option on the Spurs to slow down Mayo. Expect a lot of Hill on Mayo, especially if Memphis' second year guard gets going.

Inside the Numbers

The Grizzlies began the season 1-8 through nine games. Since then, they are 19-10. Memphis hasn't lost a home game since Dec. 15 -- a streak of seven straight wins. In those games, the Grizzlies have won by a final score of 111-101.

Did You Know?

According to a recent Express-News article by Jeff McDonald, the Spurs would have selected Sam Young ahead of DeJuan Blair if both were on the board. Young was selected one spot ahead of Blair by the Grizzlies and is currently averaging 8.2 points and 2.4 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game while shooting 47% from the field.

Speaking of Blair, he'll meet Hasheem Thabeet for the first time. Thabeet, as we know, is head over heels for Blair. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyLQ6NYpcJo)

OldSilentHill
01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Agree with most of the keys. Small ball is a fear I have (many of us I think).

I want no more than 6-8 TO. Could be possible?

Bruno
01-16-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm curious to see what will happen at PF/C.
Bonner is out, Duncan is on a b2b and McDyess was maybe injured yesterday. Will we see some Haislip or Mahinmi today?

It would be nice to have today an answer on whether Ian has the level to play or not in the NBA.

benefactor
01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
We will lose if Duncan sits tonight.

Blackjack
01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
I really want to see Ian play minutes with Tim; allow Ian to play off the weakside more and maybe be on the receiving end of some of those Duncan passes. With Gasol and Randolph getting time together, it's an opportunity to give it a decent look..

objective
01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
According to a recent Express-News article by Jeff McDonald, the Spurs would have selected Sam Young ahead of DeJuan Blair if both were on the board.

what?

I must have missed that part, probably because I just skim through McD's stuff.

Had that happened on draft night I may have gone berzerk.

objective
01-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I really want to see Ian play minutes with Tim; allow Ian to play off the weakside more and maybe be on the receiving end of some of those Duncan passes. With Gasol and Randolph getting time together, it's an opportunity to give it a decent look..

Those TD-Robinson alley-oops could make a welcome comeback.

duncan228
01-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I must have missed that part, probably because I just skim through McD's stuff.

Never dreaming Blair would drop to them — most in the organization figured, at worst, he'd be gone after the first pick in the second round — the Spurs did not work him out prior to the draft. A 15-minute interview with general manager R.C. Buford and other Spurs staffers at a camp in Chicago was the only pre-draft contact between the team and the player.

With the 37th pick, the Spurs gladly would have selected Blair's college teammate, Sam Young. When Young went off the board at No. 36 to Memphis, the Spurs jumped on Blair.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144387

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Blair_proving_to_be_another_draft_steal_for_Spurs. html

spurs10
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the Game Primer. It's good reads like this that make me enjoy this forum....and yes I, too, fear small ball. The word in your description of the Grizzlies that most jumped out to me was "hungry". Memphis has long faced defeat at the hand of the Spurs and we all what payback is. Still, I expect to see our team come out there tonight looking for redemption and a win. TO's will indeed be key. GSG!!!

angelbelow
01-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Well Blair should be solid tonight... Don't know about Tim or Dice. I hope we give Ian a shot instead of relying on small ball.

tlongII
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think Blair is ready for Z-Bo. Could be a long night for him.

tlongII
01-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Or a short night if he gets in early foul trouble.

Blackjack
01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Those TD-Robinson alley-oops could make a welcome comeback.

Oh, the High-Low..

I remember when we acquired Nazr and they broke it out once during the Seattle series. Sadly, I'm not sure I've seen it since; with the Spurs, that is.:depressed

HarlemHeat37
01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
We could all use some Mahinmi in our lives tonight..

lurker23
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
According to a recent Express-News article by Jeff McDonald, the Spurs would have selected Sam Young ahead of DeJuan Blair if both were on the board. Young was selected one spot ahead of Blair by the Grizzlies and is currently averaging 8.2 points and 2.4 rebounds in 16.9 minutes per game while shooting 47% from the field.

I really didn't interpret it that way at all. I read it as, "Had the Grizzlies selected Blair, the Spurs would have happily taken Young." It sounded like the Spurs had such a high opinion of Blair that they didn't bother hoping he'd be there at 37.

spurs10
01-16-2010, 05:43 PM
We could all use some Mahinmi in our lives tonight..
That could be good.

timvp
01-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I really didn't interpret it that way at all. I read it as, "Had the Grizzlies selected Blair, the Spurs would have happily taken Young." It sounded like the Spurs had such a high opinion of Blair that they didn't bother hoping he'd be there at 37.

Hmmm ... good point. You very well could be right but McDonald wasn't too clear. Maybe one day Ludden will clear it up. :hat

tlongII
01-16-2010, 05:56 PM

I don't know how you could interpret it that way.

That clearly means they preferred Young according to this columnist.

Blackjack
01-16-2010, 06:07 PM

I read it the same way.

With the 37th pick, the Spurs gladly would have selected Blair's college teammate, Sam Young. When Young went off the board at No. 36 to Memphis, the Spurs jumped on Blair.
It sounds like they would have been perfectly content to have landed Young (he was a solid, mature player that could seemingly contribute right away) but they never even dreamed of Blair falling to them.

That's how I read it, anyway..

DPG21920
01-16-2010, 06:10 PM
If you read the original statement, the Spurs never said they would take Young over Blair. They simply said it was a win-win essentially.

I am concerned about the front court match up. Gasol/Z-Bo/Gay are all bad match ups for the Spurs.

Blackjack
01-16-2010, 06:14 PM
If you read the original statement, the Spurs never said they would take Young over Blair. They simply said it was a win-win essentially.

I am concerned about the front court match up. Gasol/Z-Bo/Gay are all bad match ups for the Spurs.

That just sounds like something suited for a German accent; a Dirk troll with a homophobic slur referencing Gasol..

Allanon
01-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Y'all will see tongiht that the Grizzlies got a superb deal in Marc Gasol.

Collusion? Only if you believe the Lakers were the ones that got ripped off :lol

O.J Mayo
01-16-2010, 06:42 PM
George Hill to guard me? Really. How disrespectful.

quentin_compson
01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Shouldn't you be leaving for the FedExForum soon? Or do you skip the shootaround? :p:

O.J Mayo
01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Shouldn't you be leaving for the FedExForum soon? Or do you skip the shootaround? :p:
You probably don't know tools like the iphone or blackbury. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

DPG21920
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
OJ Mayo is a thorn in the Spurs side. He usually has huge games against the Spurs. It will be crucial to limit him.

HarlemHeat37
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I still have nightmares of Rudy Gay making that 3..