PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Effing Intensity?

Marcus Bryant
01-16-2010, 10:42 PM
It's not there.

It's been there in previous title runs.

Championship teams don't lose this game tonight. No matter if it's the 4th game in 5th nights.

Ugh.

Capt Bringdown
01-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Spurs are exploring new dimensions of suck right now.

timtonymanu
01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I've said it before but I usually get responses like it's only january.

spurs1990
01-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Richard Jefferson is earning his 14 million in droves.

A resplendent 0-6 tonight.

Front office rocks!

exstatic
01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
We're losing because our PG decided it's more important to play for France than to do his paid job. He's fucking broken, and he'll likely be broken for the rest of the year, and until he stops playing NT ball.

ElNono
01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
We obviously can play hard, suffocating defense as seen in the last 4 mins or so of the game.
The question is wheter this team can be bothered to do it for 48 minutes.

spurs1990
01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
We're losing because our PG decided it's more important to play for France than to do his paid job. He's fucking broken, and he'll likely be broken for the rest of the year, and until he stops playing NT ball.

If this is even remotely the case, they need to cut the cord pronto.

I don't believe TP is the type of guy who'd ignore his NT role no matter how loud RC and Pop protest.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
It's not there.

It's been there in previous title runs.

Championship teams don't lose this game tonight. No matter if it's the 4th game in 5th nights.

Ugh.

It wasn't there in January/February 2007 - I came to SA at the end of January that year and we were all worried about where the team was going. We lost 7/13 in that stretch before turning it around near the end of the RRT.

I don't say that as an excuse, but simply to point out that we have looked like this in a championship year before.

My main worry is TP - his PF was obviously hampering him tonight, and without his penetration the team finds it a lot harder to score.

jag
01-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Front office rocks!

got his ass for peanuts

easy7
01-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Spurs get up and go, got up and went... :hat

L.I.T
Double post.

L.I.T
It's tough to play small ball when your Top 2 guards suck offensively.

At their peak the Spurs were getting almost 40 points a game from the combo of Manu/TP. This season they're getting less than 30 a game, and against the Grizz they got 13.

The rest of the guards aren't capable of taking on such a heavy load at this point in their careers. George Hill is a great complementary guard, but still struggles offensively. Roger Mason is a great shooter off the bench, but we saw what happened last year when he's thrust into being a primary scorer. Keith Bogans...

Finley would have been a help (again in the Steve Kerr mold) tonight, I think. Come in for 5-10 minutes, spread the floor, run some curls, make a few jumpers and sit back down.

easy7
01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
There are so many excuses, like It is only January, rotations are not set, they are tired, get paid the same win or lose, Blair is a Grizzlie, etc...

baseline bum
01-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Front office rocks!

Tony and Manu weren't much better. I think it's time to see what the Spurs can get in exchange for Manu's expiring contract.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Spurs are exploring new dimensions of suck right now.

No, actually they aren't. 4 games in 5 nights against potential playoff teams, 2 losses to very solid teams with good recent home records, one of them very close.

It hurts, but it's not "new dimensions of suck".

:rolleyes

jag
01-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Tony and Manu weren't much better. I think it's time to see what the Spurs can get in exchange for Manu's expiring contract.

Whatever they could get still wouldn't equal what Manu can potentially bring on any given night. I doubt it's even worth looking into a trade. Might as well just hope he finds his form sometime in the next couple of months.

Tony and RJ -- combined for 7. I can't believe that...it's just ridiculous.

Bruno
01-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson and McDyess have played significantly bellow their level this year. When there is only one player (Duncan) of your best lineup playing at his true level, it's not a surprise at all to see Spurs struggling.

These 4 players will have to seriously raise the bar.

Spurs Brazil
01-16-2010, 11:06 PM

First I want to say that I undestand players choices to play for their countries but it is killing the Spurs in the past 3 seasons

Marcus Bryant
01-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson and McDyess have played significantly bellow their level this year. When there is only one player (Duncan) of your best lineup playing at his true level, it's not a surprise at all to see Spurs struggling.

True. It starts at the top.

baseline bum
01-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Whatever they could get still wouldn't equal what Manu can potentially bring on any given night. I doubt it's even worth looking into a trade. Might as well just hope he finds his form sometime in the next couple of months.

Tony and RJ -- combined for 7. I can't believe that...it's just ridiculous.

Manu's not aging like a fine wine. His game is falling off a cliff fast and that's even assuming he doesn't get hurt again. I love Manu and what he's done for this team, but that Manu isn't walking back on the court and it's time to move on.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM

+a bajillion

the difference between parker last year and this year makes me sick. He even got hurt twice last year and was still better than this.
FUCK NATIONAL BALL

ElNono
01-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Manu's not aging like a fine wine. His game is falling off a cliff fast and that's even assuming he doesn't get hurt again. I love Manu and what he's done for this team, but that Manu isn't walking back on the court and it's time to move on.

First of all, regardless of how well Manu plays, he's not going to prevent us getting murdered on the board.
Second, what are you gonna get for 10 million though? Look the dud that 15 million got us...
I believe that if the FO knew of a 'no brainer' type of deal involving him they would have pulled the trigger already.

To be honest, the team already thought we wouldn't get the same production from him and they gambled by picking up RJ and hoping he would make up for some of the scoring. The gamble just hasn't paid off.

jag
01-16-2010, 11:20 PM

I agree that his all-star days are over, and I agree that the Spurs and their fans need to move on from the idea of what Manu used to be. But I'm not being nostalgic, i'm being realistic. He still has a sporadic high level of game left, and at those times he's better than anything else the Spurs could get for him in a trade. The Spurs need to prepare for a future without Manu, but i dont think they should make a deal at the deadline just to spite his broken down body.

Budkin
01-17-2010, 12:57 AM
It's just frustrating for all of us because it finally looked like we turned a corner and now we're right back to sucking again. This season has been such a letdown after our offseason acquisitions it's tough to fathom how we are in this position.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2010, 12:59 AM
It's just frustrating for all of us because it finally looked like we turned a corner and now we're right back to sucking again. This season has been such a letdown after our offseason acquisitions it's tough to fathom how we are in this position.

:tu

But hopefully with the upcoming homestand the team can get the confidence going again. This was a brutal back to back and clearly fatigue was going to be an issue

Whisky Dog
01-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Parker, Manu, Jeff, and Dice need to be held accountable. They're fucking up this team.

mexicanjunior
01-17-2010, 01:06 AM
It's only January...

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 01:11 AM
This team just has a different mentality than the old Spurs teams..

-The obvious reasons of Parker and Ginobili's decline..Manu's eventual decline was expected with age, but Parker isn't supposed to be playing like this..Manu's still a great playmaker, but it doesn't look like he'll be able to be a consistent enough scorer for us..Parker has been an above average player this year, which is a huge drop-off from the top 15 player he was last year..

When 2 of the big 3 are playing so poorly, it brings down the energy and intensity of the entire team..

-Jefferson isn't an intensity guy at all..just isn't that type of player..

-No energy guys..this team doesn't have reliable energy players that can spark a team..the core players are too old to be relied upon to do this..bringing in young guys to do this has been a failure..

-This team has no balls...

The Spurs have lost the ability to annoy other teams..man, that's probably the thing that I miss the most..

Whether it was Manu or Oberto flopping to get in somebody's head, whether it was Horry bodychecking somebody into an announce table to get their best scorer suspended for the next playoff game, whether it was Bowen tearing somebody's ACL out before he would let the Spurs lose a fucking game, whether it was Stephen Jackson or Brent Barry making big shots when the team needs it..

This team doesn't have that..none of the role players on this team will do ANYTHING to get a W..none of them will get in somebody's head..they just don't do that..the role players on our team are nice guys like Roger Mason, old Finley, Matt Bonner and McDyess..Blair is too young and raw, although I do see a little fire in Hill..

Also, Pop clearly isn't the same guy he once was..he doesn't seem to have the fire that he used to have..

The old Spurs team were made up of nice guys off the court that became vicious when they stepped on the floor..I remember even last year Bruce Bowen annoyed Carmelo, made him have a bad game, and he picked up a T after Bowen made him pick up an offensive foul..this guy was at the end of his career and still knew how to get in somebody's head better than anybody..

This current Spurs team just looks tired and beat down like they're ready for the window to just close..

Capt Bringdown
01-17-2010, 01:17 AM
No, actually they aren't. 4 games in 5 nights against potential playoff teams, 2 losses to very solid teams with good recent home records, one of them very close.

It hurts, but it's not "new dimensions of suck".

:rolleyes
Yes, they actually are.
Here's a simple litmus test: If the Spurs had won these games, would you be downplaying the importance of the w's? Of course not.

But when they lose, out come the excuses, apologies and qualifiers.

There's an expectation that the Spurs should be playing better at this stage of the season. A lot better, offseason moves and supposed upgrades.

Our most reliable player from last year, TP looks like he can't be counted on, same-same with Manu, Jefferson is a 14 million dollar bust, Dice has been underwhelming at best...
Not only that, back to the OP's point: the Spurs don't appear to have much fire in the belly at this point. It's extremely disappointing.
This in my opinion amounts to new dimensions of suck.

timtonymanu
01-17-2010, 01:27 AM

-The obvious reasons of Parker and Ginobili's decline..Manu's eventual decline was expected with age, but Parker isn't supposed to be playing like this..Manu's still a great playmaker, but it doesn't look like he'll be able to be a consistent enough scorer for us..Parker has been an above average player this year, which is a huge drop-off from the top 15 player he was last year..

When 2 of the big 3 are playing so poorly, it brings down the energy and intensity of the entire team..

-No energy guys..this team doesn't have reliable energy players that can spark a team..the core players are too old to be relied upon to do this..bringing in young guys to do this has been a failure..

The Spurs have lost the ability to annoy other teams..man, that's probably the thing that I miss the most..

Whether it was Manu or Oberto flopping to get in somebody's head, whether it was Horry bodychecking somebody into an announce table to get their best scorer suspended for the next playoff game, whether it was Bowen tearing somebody's ACL out before he would let the Spurs lose a fucking game, whether it was Stephen Jackson or Brent Barry making big shots when the team needs it..

This team doesn't have that..none of the role players on this team will do ANYTHING to get a W..none of them will get in somebody's head..they just don't do that..the role players on our team are nice guys like Roger Mason, old Finley, Matt Bonner and McDyess..Blair is too young and raw, although I do see a little fire in Hill..

Also, Pop clearly isn't the same guy he once was..he doesn't seem to have the fire that he used to have..

The old Spurs team were made up of nice guys off the court that became vicious when they stepped on the floor..I remember even last year Bruce Bowen annoyed Carmelo, made him have a bad game, and he picked up a T after Bowen made him pick up an offensive foul..this guy was at the end of his career and still knew how to get in somebody's head better than anybody..

This current Spurs team just looks tired and beat down like they're ready for the window to just close..

I 100% agree with this. The role players on this team suck ass. RJ plays like he's just happy to be paid so much. McDyess is using his slow start excuse. Hill and Mason can be no shows at times. This team has no swagger like Bowen, Horry, and S-Jax use to bring. Which is why that It's only January excuse is BS. What's the excuse for why the Spurs show so little heart in a game? Because it's only January. If that's an excuse you are using for a championship team, then there might as well be no title. It's 3 months into the season already.

spurs10
01-17-2010, 01:28 AM
With TP's injury I'm very concerned about how far we can go this year regardless of bad spells like tonight and last night. The upcoming schedule makes this weekend look relatively light. Does anybody have any idea how long rehab on TP's foot would take? If he could play at his top form, I'd like our chances.

ulosturedge
01-17-2010, 01:38 AM

Quit cliff jumping. They are losing because there is no sense of urgency. It's a long season and these type of losses are kind of predictable. I've seen them do this before. Yeah things might be a little different this time(Manu losing a step and Parker hobbled), but the two teams we lost to are well coached good disciplined teams. The only teams you can really bottom feed off of is in the east. This isn't 2005. There are alot less sucky teams out there now. Those teams got a little more experienced and we got a little older. It is what it is. All that matters is if this team can step up when it really matters, and everything i've seen so far tells me they are capable. They are going in the right direction. This team is deep. Lets hope Parker heals sooner then later and Manu gets his stroke back. Then we will really be rolling.

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 01:42 AM
How am I cliff jumping?..I'm stating the obvious..I'm still going to be here..

Are we going to say "these teams we lost to are good" every time we lose to a good team?..championship teams generally have good records vs. +.500 teams, this is a fact..there's only 2 or 3 examples in NBA history where championship teams have poor records in those situations..

Also, "there are a lot less sucky teams" is an inaccurate statement and it's irrelevant anyways..

timtonymanu
01-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Quit cliff jumping. They are losing because there is no sense of urgency. It's a long season and these type of losses are kind of predictable. I've seen them do this before. Yeah things might be a little different this time(Manu losing a step and Parker hobbled), but the two teams we lost to are well coached good disciplined teams. The only teams you can really bottom feed off of is in the east. This isn't 2005. There are alot less sucky teams out there now. Those teams got a little more experienced and we got a little older. It is what it is. All that matters is if this team can step up when it really matters, and everything i've seen so far tells me they are capable. They are going in the right direction. This team is deep. Lets hope Parker heals sooner then later and Manu gets his stroke back. Then we will really be rolling.

See that's the problem. It's all a hope game right now which is why people are worried. It's not cliffjumping. It's being realistic. Spurs need to have alot done and that's why i dont like the it's only january excuse. it's gonna be real difficult for them to pick up their game all in a short amount of time when they have so much they need to work on.

angelbelow
01-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Ian had it... but he appeared to have TOO much.

ulosturedge
01-17-2010, 02:53 AM
How am I cliff jumping?..I'm stating the obvious..I'm still going to be here..

Are we going to say "these teams we lost to are good" every time we lose to a good team?..championship teams generally have good records vs. +.500 teams, this is a fact..there's only 2 or 3 examples in NBA history where championship teams have poor records in those situations..

Also, "there are a lot less sucky teams" is an inaccurate statement and it's irrelevant anyways..

Well i'm more worried about how we match up against those top teams we will see in the playoffs(aka Lakers, Dallas, Denver, ect.) and I feel like we hold up pretty well. Granted we aren't closing out games well, but we aren't really getting blown out by anyone either. In that sense I feel pretty well about where we are right now.

See that's the problem. It's all a hope game
right now which is why people are worried. It's not cliffjumping. It's being realistic. Spurs need to have alot done and that's why i dont like the it's only january excuse. it's gonna be real difficult for them to pick up their game all in a short amount of time when they have so much they need to work on.

Realize that alot of what the Spurs do on offense starts with Parker. We have been struggling lately on offense. Manu also is struggling in my opinion. To me the jury is still out on if Manu is washed up or not( he just isn't hitting his shots). If you were to tell me we would be a couple of games out of 1st in the division and seeded in the middle of the pack with a hobbled Tony Parker and a struggling Manu; I would take that any day. How about we grade our team when our go to guy is fully healthy and our x-factor is in his groove. So yeah it's only January.

EricB
01-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Not alot of teams have TONS of intensity in 4 games out 5 days and after the first two really energy engaging games.

People underestimate I think how much the Spurs put into those games.

Most likely I'm wrong, but thats just my observation.

phyzik
01-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Not alot of teams have TONS of intensity in 4 games out 5 days and after the first two really energy engaging games.

People underestimate I think how much the Spurs put into those games.

Most likely I'm wrong, but thats just my observation.

no, your right.... Just like you in 2005 fucker! :toast :lol

sorry TPark, that meltdown was too epic to let that go, even 5-6 years later. :downspin:

Chieflion
01-17-2010, 05:44 AM
After beating up on an injured Lakers team and losing all but 1 point of a 20+ point lead against the Thunder, the Spurs lost to two decent teams. That has been the story this season. Mentally weak when the Spurs are down and in a close game. Can't close shit out.

ShoogarBear
01-17-2010, 06:22 AM

I think this is a question that needs to be explored seriously. Does Pop walk around all days thinking to himself "Four rings, beetches!"

hsxvvd
01-17-2010, 07:42 AM
I think this is a question that needs to be explored seriously. Does Pop walk around all days thinking to himself "Four rings, beetches!"

Certainly looks like it. He is far more experimental this season than he has ever been.

Maybe it's because he has more options than ever, but it does appear that he is trying to be "too smart" with his line-ups. Perhaps there's been a little too much praise and too many fluff pieces written about his "genius".

I don't know who would be able to tell him, he seems too arrogant to listen to anybody. RC & Holt all seem a little too comfortable with him.

My hope is that he'll quit playing around with the line-ups soon enough, and I still believe that a tightened playoff roster will produce results when it counts.

Marcus Bryant
01-17-2010, 10:11 AM
No excuses. This team has sucked against above .500 teams all season. If Pop drops the "soft" card I'm not sure they'll respond. Maybe Pop himself is softening up....

dbestpro
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Its a combination of things. Some fixable, some not. TP with PF is not fixable. Giving up offensive rebounds and loads of points in the paint are. I contend that small ball while effective in spurts has caused the following problems.
1. Unable to match inside size thus giving up too many points and rebounds
2. Smalls are getting wore out and show no energy due to playing game after game against guys 4-6 inches bigger.
3. Lack of development and continuity with current bigs on the team.

Small ball is a gimmick to be used once and a while. Pop will have to go back to using some size inside. Bonner's return will help, but bigs like Theo and Ian need time on the floor to get comfortable. Lord knows Ian has shown more effort than anyone including coaches and fair weather fans. A trade may still be possible. If we get no more than we get now from Dice we many be in big trouble. From my perspective the PF slot 9Tim plays center) is really the catalyst position. Blair can give you some good minutes, but when the opposing team pounds it down low, his lack of height becomes a real determent. Eventually, as Sean indicated his game may be better at SF once he shows a consistent outside shot. At that point the Spurs can go really big.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Add Pop to that list too. Those guys are struggling, and you don't compensate that by rotating Jefferson and Finley at PF and opening up a layup line for other teams defensively.

What's the point out of going out and adding guys like Dice, Blair, and Haislip, as well as having Ian on the bench, if you're not going to play them in favor of having Richard Jefferson at fucking power forward :td

DAF86
01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
First of all, regardless of how well Manu plays, he's not going to prevent us getting murdered on the board.
Second, what are you gonna get for 10 million though? Look the dud that 15 million got us...
I believe that if the FO knew of a 'no brainer' type of deal involving him they would have pulled the trigger already.

To be honest, the team already thought we wouldn't get the same production from him and they gambled by picking up RJ and hoping he would make up for some of the scoring. The gamble just hasn't paid off.

The Clippers would jump on a Manu for Camby trade and Marcus is the kind of player the Spurs need.

ElNono
01-17-2010, 12:23 PM
The Clippers would jump on a Manu for Camby trade and Marcus is the kind of player the Spurs need.

I don't think they would. I think they like what Marcus gives them for that money, especially now that Griffin is out for the season. And I'm also not sure the coaching staff thinks size is what we need, considering the current love for small ball. How crazy are you gonna get when Camby is sitting in the bench and RJ and Fin are playing PF?