PDA

View Full Version : a Ginobili thread

Cant_Be_Faded
01-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Does he need to play even less minutes?

He is dangerously close to shooting sub 40% on the season, his 3 point shooting is below his career average, and he is getting to the line at the lowest rate since he was a 2nd year player back in the 04 season.

I know he does alot of thigns right, he brings energy, but what can Pop do to bring up his productivity?

ducks
01-16-2010, 11:27 PM
this hole spurs team is tired

igruex
01-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Does he need to play even less minutes?

He is dangerously close to shooting sub 40% on the season, his 3 point shooting is below his career average, and he is getting to the line at the lowest rate since he was a 2nd year player back in the 04 season.

I know he does alot of thigns right, he brings energy, but what can Pop do to bring up his productivity?

If he remains healthy he's definitely not gonna play like this come playoff time, even after the All-Stars break he'll attack the rim a bit more.

ElNono
01-16-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think Pop can do much. I think it's just a confidence problem with his shot at this point. If he misses the first few shots he now doubts himselfs and starts passing up shots.
I would like him to drive more. But obviously Pop is not going to encourage him to do that at this time of the season. If anything, the coaching staff need to work on that mental block.

jag
01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
He can still bring it from time to time, but it's stupid to expect a great game from him every night. At most, you can just hope he does the little things right, the intangibles that he's always brought.

And i really hope his shooting woes are a mental(confidence) issue, and not a lost legs issue from a 32 year old shooting guard.

Johnny RIngo
01-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Most player step up their game in a contract year. Guess Ginobili doesn't want to get paid next season.

Johnny RIngo
01-16-2010, 11:47 PM
He can still bring it from time to time, but it's stupid to expect a great game from him every night. At most, you can just hope he does the little things right, the intangibles that he's always brought.

And i really hope his shooting woes are a mental(confidence) issue, and not a lost legs issue from a 32 year old shooting guard.

Why not? 11 million dollars for a role player is pretty damn expensive.

TIMMYD!
01-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Everyone is blowing right now.

jag
01-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Because regardless of his pay, he just can't bring it like that anymore.

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 01:01 AM
He's still a great playmaker and intangibles guy, and it looks like he's adjusting his game to be more of a playmaker..his scoring looks done though in regards to being an all-star caliber player..he's an above average scorer at this point, and that kills us when you consider how poorly Parker and RJ are playing too..

DMX7
01-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Because regardless of his pay, he just can't bring it like that anymore.

Then he needs to get paid less.

blkroadrunners
01-17-2010, 03:14 AM
He still has a pretty high TS%, but I think that his ankle injury from the Olympics, and the fact that he's now 32 has really paid its toll on him.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-17-2010, 03:47 AM
I don't think Pop can do much. I think it's just a confidence problem with his shot at this point. If he misses the first few shots he now doubts himselfs and starts passing up shots.
I would like him to drive more. But obviously Pop is not going to encourage him to do that at this time of the season. If anything, the coaching staff need to work on that mental block.

Saying Ginobili is letting confidence affect his game in the year 2010 is like saying Duncan had no scrot back in 2006.

Not buying this one at all.

Manu-of-steel
01-17-2010, 11:14 AM

RJ is more expensive, with less production at this point.

Chomag
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
this hole spurs team is tired

Thats because the Spurs play more games then anyone else in the NBA, it's just not fair! (sarcasm)

Look, not saying your saying this but I get a chuckle every time I see someone saying things like this. If this is truly the state of the team how in the world are they expected to last in a grueling playoff run.

True champions find ways to win against the odds, not make excuses.

exstatic
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Manu's having to pick up a lot of the creative slack from Tony. That's pretty much how I see it.

Tony's little summer of fun in France is sending, not ripples, more like tsunamis through this team, wrecking our season.

Spursmania
01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm still surprised at how many jumpers he shoots that just go clank and so many airballs. I love Manu but his game is not the same offensively.

I don't have much confidence the ball's going to go in when he shoots.

AFBlue
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
RJ is more expensive, with less production at this point.

Which is unfortunate...but completely irrelevant in regard to Manu's play.

I think Manu has always been somewhat of a streaky player, and given the number of games and type of game he plays, I expect the down streaks to increase in length and frequency.

But the good thing with Manu is that he can impact the game in more ways than just with his scoring. timvp made the comment the other day that Manu had the best 0-10 game he'd ever seen from a player.

Having said all that, Pop should use the same concept with Manu as he does with Blair...base the number of minutes in any given game on what he's doing within those minutes. The Spurs are fortunate to have additional depth at the wing to overcome these down streaks...

With one caveat...those other players have to step up.

ElNono
01-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Saying Ginobili is letting confidence affect his game in the year 2010 is like saying Duncan had no scrot back in 2006.

Not buying this one at all.

He has shown he has fairly good lift about a week ago. Everybody was raving about his dunk against NJ. He also had good shooting nights like when he torched Toronto for 36. All those pick and rolls he had with Blair against OKC, he could have just taken the shot instead of passing it.

I mean, I'm sure he wants to win as much as everybody else, and it's probably pretty frustrating his shot is not falling, but you just don't forget how to shoot the ball so badly (0-10)...

To be honest, unless he comes out and says he's dinged up and that's why he's not shooting well, I'm not gonna worry about it.

ffadicted
01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Shooting slump boys. Roger was going through the same thing at the start of the season then picked up and went started to go off from the field. I expect the same thing to happen with Manu, and have him round off his game around the Rodeo Trip. If he's still shooting like shit then, well.... it's up to Pop to decide what to do with him, but I think he gets the benefit of the doubt as of now.

cd98
01-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Manu is a step slow. He's not the same player he was a few years back. It happens to everyone. He needs to reinvent his game (see Duncan and his much improved jumper and Kobe with a fade away from the post).

That said, Manu has a unique set of skills. He can hit the three, he is a good free throw shooter, and he is a great passer. He is still contributing in a lot of areas, even as he misses shot after shot. Hard to say what to do with him, but I don't think it's a matter of confidence; I think it's a matter of age and adjustment.