PDA

View Full Version : E-N: Spurs practice art of no deal

duncan228
01-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Week in review/preview: Spurs practice art of no deal (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Week_in_reviewpreview_Spurs_practice_art_of_no_dea l.html)
By Douglas Pils - Express-News

Rumors of a Spurs-Hornets blockbuster trade including Tony Parker for Chris Paul sent Spurs fans in a tizzy last week.

“CP is franchise, he is young, smart and professional. I would absolutely give up on TP for him,” someone wrote on mySA.com.

Folks took it to mean that Parker may not be willing to re-sign with the Spurs once his contract expires after next season, so getting a younger point guard made sense.

Others were saner about the prospect:

“I'm sure it was some (dumb) Internet nerd who started everything.”

As it turned out, Spurs officials said there was no offer, but as our Jeff McDonald wrote, there's no reason to admit to anything.

Such a deal would require other parts to make things equal with salary. And aside from back-to-back losses to the Bobcats and Grizzlies, the Spurs' remade roster seems to be figuring things out, so making a drastic change would flush that progress.

It also seems New Orleans would sacrifice the franchise's health to deal its best player for one who might leave after a year and a half.

So, who is better for the Spurs, Parker or Paul?

It's a fair question, and one that Parker doesn't answer as well as Paul from a numbers standpoint.

At 24, Paul is three years younger, but that's just one reason for the upside.

Scoring: Paul leads point guards at 19.3 per game; Parker 17.1.

Assists: Paul is tied for first in the NBA at 11.2 per game; Parker 5.9.

Steals: Paul is third at 2.31, Parker 0.45.

Triple-doubles: Paul has 11 at 24; Parker zero.

It sounds like the Spurs instantly get better with Paul over Parker, right?

Maybe not.

The Hornets ask much more of Paul because he doesn't have a backcourt mate like Manu Ginobili or even George Hill. If Paul gets hurt, New Orleans circles the drain toward the lottery.

If Parker goes down, the Spurs have ways to overcome, adapt. One reason for that is chemistry between stars, coach and every player. Gregg Popovich has struck a magical balance where egos are locked away in a vault when someone joins the Spurs.

A trade of this magnitude would shake that chemistry and create another period with players getting to know one another.

Would you do that before starting the rodeo road trip?

And who's to say Paul plays along as Parker does?

But if there's an assumption that Parker's not keen on re-signing, then this kind of rumor will multiply over the next year and a half.

Whatever the truth, it's wise to remember that sometimes you don't know what you've got until he's playing for the Hornets or someone else in the West.

WEEKLY PLANNER

MONDAY 18 - Spurs at Hornets: Tony Parker and Chris Paul face each other while still members of the only teams they’ve ever known. S.A. won 113-96 in season opener.

WEDNESDAY 20 - Jazz at Spurs: This is the first of six straight home games before the Spurs hit the road on Feb. 3 for the S.A. Stock Show & Rodeo.

mystargtr34
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Parker would maybe average max 8 assists on the NO team when healthy.. he just doesnt have the passing/creativity/vision that an elite PG like Chris Paul has. I actually use to argue that Parker was arguably a better fit in SA that Paul, because he was asked to be an aggressive scorer. But this season, with added weapons, he's shown me he doesnt have the ability to get others involved when he has the keys to a high powered offense, which is big for a PG.

All im saying is Paul >>> Parker in every situation... Spurs, Hornets, Europe or local rec center league. But IMO a healthy Parker is still arguably the third best PG in the league.

TIMMYD!
01-16-2010, 11:46 PM
parker would maybe average max 8 assists on the no team when healthy.. He just doesnt have the passing/creativity/vision that an elite pg like chris paul has. I actually use to argue that parker was arguably a better fit in sa that paul, because he was asked to be an aggressive scorer. But this season, with added weapons, he's shown me he doesnt have the ability to get others involved when he has the keys to a high powered offense, which is big for a pg.

All im saying is paul >>> parker in every situation... Spurs, hornets, europe or local rec center league. But imo a healthy parker is still arguably the third best pg in the league.

+1