PDA

View Full Version : Book of Eli

CubanSucks
01-17-2010, 04:33 AM
Pretty good. I really wished I watched it at home though considering the people ruining the mood at complete inappropriate times. Mila Kunis character nearly ruined it as well. The ending would have been amazing if it wasn't for her. But besides her character and the somewhat overuse of slow motion it was good.

*SPOILER ALERT* why the fuck did she take his sword after he died?! What the hell is she gonna do with it. It's like they suddenly tried to turn her into a Lara Croft kinda character.

Trainwreck2100
01-17-2010, 04:36 AM
she's going to spread the word about the island and the book, and probably save her mom

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Eli asked god if he can give her the same power god given him.

I think she might be trying to save her mother and in the same time kill all evil

holcs50
01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
If you recall at the ending Eli over a prob decent amount of time repeats the whole bible to the old guy as he writes it down....Solara was in the room it looked like all the time listening-or they inferred that-thus she prob learned over this time from eli and listening to believe more and have his faith. Also, in this time which would've taken awhile he might've taught her some more of his weaponry skills...or you can take it as she will be somewhat "protected" from her new found faith. She was now on a mission to go return to find her mother and my guess would be she had a newly printed bible to spread the word/faith.

Frenzy
01-17-2010, 06:00 PM
slow motion makes the movie longer.

balli
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
slow motion makes the movie longer.

Slow motion? I was going to say that I saw this movie when I played Fallout3, but I didn't. I will now though.

Duff McCartney
01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Movie was crap. I saw it last night...what a waste of money. It was basically an hour and a half pimping about the bible. The plot was thin at best, no back story about what happened, why people always wear sunglasses, why Eli can fight so well, why those people shake and have fucked up fingers. Nothing.

It basically just throws you in there and says figure it out, and spends the entire movie pimping the bible.

Rip-Hamilton32
01-22-2010, 09:17 PM
i thought it was sick

they tell you that peoples hands shake from eating too much human meat

benefactor
01-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Great movie. I disagree that it was all about pimping the Bible. It was more about the conflict between depravity and hope that exists at the very root of man's nature.

mookie2001
01-22-2010, 11:57 PM
lord of the flies

DarkReign
01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
It was basically an hour and a half pimping about the bible.

Thats more or less what I got out of the previews. No thanks.

phyzik
01-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Thats more or less what I got out of the previews. No thanks.

Ehh. It wasnt that bad. Basically go in and watch the movie for the violence. The last 10 minutes or so of the movie are all about hardcore bible thumping though.

The ending had a good twist but I had already figured it out like 30 minutes into the movie.... I have a friend with the main characters "condition" and was able to spot it. Denzel really pulled that "condition" off quite well. very subtle.

Dont want to give too much away.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Great movie. I disagree that it was all about pimping the Bible. It was more about the conflict between depravity and hope that exists at the very root of man's nature.

+1 Watched it over the weekend and I thought it was a great movie.

silverblk mystix
07-19-2010, 09:36 AM
not horrible...seen much worse...

yeah they kinda turned a bit preachy there but there were some interesting moments...

what I thought was kinda ironic--(spoiler alert ********)

was when they said that the bible- the book- was kinda the reason why the world as they knew it---had ended---

because that is probably true to an extent....most of the wars in history are rooted in religion and most religions have caused more destruction than anything else...

and yet here we are told that the book was a reason for the end of the world---and ---of course....the movie is about CONTINUING to preach what is in the book...to start over---with the book as a guide---DID WE NOT LEARN---WILL WE EVER!

kind of an apt irony to the human condition---IMO

Blake
07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
meh.

not bad. just forgettable.

basically God gave Eli the power to brutally kill people and then watch as others get hurt as he continues his "mission".

hooray for the power and love of God.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I didn't think it was great but it definitely wasn't about "pimping the bible". One of the main points of the movie was how the bible was such a huge tool for manipulation of people so I'm not sure how you could think it was about pimping the bible at all.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Damn, I am learning that I am too easy of a film critic. But then again there are not a lot of movies that I think totally suck. If I can make it through with out losing interest it gets an okay by me. :depressed

DisAsTerBot
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I didn't think it was great but it definitely wasn't about "pimping the bible". One of the main points of the movie was how the bible was such a huge tool for manipulation of people so I'm not sure how you could think it was about pimping the bible at all.

agreed. i thought it was more about the loss of knowledge and preserving all knowledge for the future.....didn't they show a collection of different religious texts?

MannyIsGod
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Damn, I am learning that I am too easy of a film critic. But then again there are not a lot of movies that I think totally suck. If I can make it through with out losing interest it gets an okay by me. :depressed

Just watch what you like. I like to think I know a good performance or a good movie when I see one but that doesn't mean that sometimes I just want to watch someone kick ass on screen or a really big building blow up. I know that plenty of movies I own are horrible but I still enjoy them.

My favorite movie of all time is probably Deep Impact and I doubt many would call that a good movie.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Just watch what you like. I like to think I know a good performance or a good movie when I see one but that doesn't mean that sometimes I just want to watch someone kick ass on screen or a really big building blow up. I know that plenty of movies I own are horrible but I still enjoy them.

My favorite movie of all time is probably Deep Impact and I doubt many would call that a good movie.

+1 But what I consider a good performance or good movie is clearly not the same as others and maybe I confuse what I like with what others consider a poor performance or bad movie. I do watch what I like and to hell with what someone else thinks which I'm pretty sure is the way most people feel.

Pero
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Eh, it was ok. Nothing I'd watch twice. I thought it was kind of silly to call the movie the book of Eli and it was about the bible. I mean I was wondering what kind of special book this book of Eli was supposed to be and then I found out it's just the fucking bible.

4>0rings
07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Eh, it was ok. Nothing I'd watch twice. I thought it was kind of silly to call the movie the book of Eli and it was about the bible. I mean I was wondering what kind of special book this book of Eli was supposed to be and then I found out it's just the fucking bible.

Eli - was, according to the Books of Samuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_Samuel), a Jewish High Priest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohen_Gadol) of Shiloh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiloh_(Biblical)), and one of the last Israelite Judges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_judges) before the rule of kings in ancient Israel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel). -Wiki

Greg Oden
07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
rented it a little while ago out of boredom.

The Reckoning
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
gary oldman is one of my favorite villain-actors of all time. that said, the movie was alright. reminded me of Waterworld but toned down.

JoeChalupa
07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I'd watch it again.