PDA

View Full Version : The Soft Card Has Been Pulled

timvp
01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
“We gave up in the second quarter. We didn't compete. We were soft. It put us in a hole, and it took us a whole half to try to recover.”

Sweet. Let the season begin :hat

jaffies
01-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I like it. :tu

However, I don't think it's just the players that are being "soft".

TIMMYD!
01-17-2010, 01:15 PM

+1

Pop has to infuse motivation into these players before the start of the game, not at halftime. :ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit

Budkin
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM

Agreed... just like the players, Pop has been WAY off his game this year... put down the wine bottle Pop and start firing these guys up!

spurs10
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Hopefully nobody on this team will take being called "soft" lightly.

Dex
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
:elephant

Time to unwrap the pipes and start planning spring cleaning.

Actually, seems like it's coming out a little early this year?

Summers
01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Just in time for the rodeo trip.

crc21209
01-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Pop's rotations have been soft too...

EmptyMan
01-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Pop's lineups are soft.

Muser
01-17-2010, 02:10 PM
People have said it in other threads, we need someone who will get on the players when they start sucking, someone like Garnett but without the Douchebag factor.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Haven't we had a few seasons where Pop calls us soft multiple times throughout

baseline bum
01-17-2010, 02:13 PM
It's not about being soft (except Jefferson). Tony and Manu are broke, Manu most likely irreparably. 6 years ago Duncan could carry the team on his own, but not when he's pushing 34 years old.

exstatic
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
It's not about being soft (except Jefferson). Tony and Manu are broke, Manu most likely irreparably. 6 years ago Duncan could carry the team on his own, but not when he's pushing 34 years old.

I don't see Manu as broken. He seems to be changing his game to cover for Tony's "soft" instep. He's staying more outside to get a better view of the floor, since he's now the primary creator. Tony's definitely broken, though.

Spursmania
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Let the games begin:smokin

baseline bum
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't see Manu as broken. He seems to be changing his game to cover for Tony's "soft" instep. He's staying more outside to get a better view of the floor, since he's now the primary creator. Tony's definitely broken, though.

Manu's definitely broken, with all the bad three pointers he's putting up instead of attacking the basket. His drive has not looked like it was there at all this season, and his 40% shooting isn't getting the job done.

Flux451
01-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I noticed after a time out in the second half, I believe, the Spurs picked up the intensity tremendously. But do we seriously consistently need a drill sergent? If so, I call soft and lazy.

Chomag
01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
People have said it in other threads, we need someone who will get on the players when they start sucking, someone like Garnett but without the Douchebag factor.

Agreed! Someone like Mario Eli would be awesome and very needed. I don't know what current player thats out there and obtainable that maybe like that though.

What is Mario doing these days anyway? Maybe Spurs could bring him in as assistant coaching roll, or even just to speak to the team at practice.

Flux451
01-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Bogans may be the closest to Elie, but less of a leader and veteran.

Libri
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Just as expected.

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Well there's the obvious issues with Tony, Manu and RJ, but who is the vocal leader of this team?..Duncan is the leader, but he's not an intense guy..I would usually expect Pop to be the guy to fire everybody up, but he looks worn out this season..

TBH, I think a trade would help in 2 ways..it would help fix some on the court problems, and it would get some energy and life back in this team..I don't know how reluctant they're going to be to make a trade now though, since they screwed up with the RJ move..

Marcus Bryant
01-17-2010, 04:57 PM
It's going to take more than words. If it's health, well, it's been a good run....but then play those who play hard. If it's effort, start giving PT to those who've earned it.

Obstructed_View
01-17-2010, 05:25 PM
It's always nice to grind your team into the ground by resting your best player and then accuse them of being soft when they get tired over subsequent days. Doesn't that act get old at some point?

J Mack
01-17-2010, 06:20 PM
my whole thought process has been why acquire these guys and NOT give them any major burn early on in the season and see what they got. basketball like any other sport is physical as well as mental !! i just dont know what else to say !!!

01-17-2010, 06:36 PM
as more time passes, it's less likely ginobili will ever return to true form. can't deny that he's declining and will continue to decline over the years. spurs need a fearless scorer other than duncan. parker is too hindered by his injury to fill that role and jefferson is content on being a role player. don't want to bring up stephen jackson but like i said in the other thread, spurs need a scorer.

Fernando TD21
01-17-2010, 06:36 PM
I thought Pop had called the Spurs soft earlier this season. Or at least called some of the players.