PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs ought to push the pace more

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Seeing how SA averages 102 ppg despite their slow pace, I think it's time the Spurs try to run and get into the open court a lot more.

I'm not saying we need to turn into the Phoenix Suns, but I don't think the halfcourt offense is suiting this team as well as in year's past. Or at least not lately.

In the Memphis game the Spurs didn't start making their comeback until they stated getting out on the fast break and scoring quickly. We have several players who can score in the open court and I think there are few teams in the NBA that are able to finish on the fast break when the opportunity is there as well as the Spurs.

If Pop is going to play small ball while trying to slow the pace down then we're going to get pounded on the boards anyway. What do you guys think? Time to push the tempo a lot more? I recall Manu saying how much better the Spurs felt when they got to run a bit more which led to open shots on the break.

exstatic
01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, if Tony doesn't fuck up his arch this summer, we might be able to do that. He isn't even 85%.

Thank, French NT.

TIMMYD!
01-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Everything was a whole lot easier last night when we started to push towards the end of the game.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
My only concern with pushing the tempo is the fatigue factor with the overall age of this team. But wasn't the whole point of getting younger was so that we wouldn't have to put as much of a load on the elder statesman of the team?

baseline bum
01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah, if Tony doesn't fuck up his arch this summer, we might be able to do that. He isn't even 85%.

Thank, French NT.

I was going to post this, but the job's already been done.

rascal
01-17-2010, 03:26 PM
No doubt they should get more easy baskets off the fast break.

Flux451
01-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Well, this year Spurs are pushing the ball considerably moreso. I think the team is still adjusting to the pace hence the turnovers.

Spursfan 87
01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
There's a reason they tried to trade for C.Paul.

#2!
01-17-2010, 03:38 PM
I've been saying this, but I guess I'll have to explain it again.

The Spurs have been trying to push the ball more than they ever have under Pop. I see him multiple times per game yelling "Go!Go!" at the players on the court, waving his arms in the direction of the basket like a wild man.

The problem seems to be that a large number of the players have no idea what to do on the break. And, I hate saying this b/c I know I'll be labeled as a "hater" or whatever grammatically retarded term is currently popular, Tony Parker seems to be one of the worst on the team at the fastbreak.

And don't give me that "he's injured" shit b/c I'm not talking about his finishing abilities (b/c that actually is b/c of PF), but rather his passing skills on the break. He often passes the ball much too late, leaving his teammate stuck underneath the basket w/ nowhere to go. This is how manu has gotten some of his top 10 plays, by having to no look a pass behind him b/c he received the ball so late on the break.

George, Manu, Bogans, and Jefferson are the only guys on the team that do a decent job fastbreaking. Bogans and Manu aren't the best finishers but they have good spacing and ballhandling on the move. RMJ is decent as a trailer for spot up threes.

So yeah, they already are pushing the tempo (relatively), but just have poor execution in their passing.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2010, 03:42 PM
ahhhh gotcha, I know the scoring was the highest it's been for the Duncan era, and maybe my thread is a knee-jerk reaction to the piss poor offense from the last few games, but it seemed like the team was trying to play 2002 Spurs offense out there.

taps
01-17-2010, 04:03 PM
My only concern with pushing the tempo is the fatigue factor with the overall age of this team. But wasn't the whole point of getting younger was so that we wouldn't have to put as much of a load on the elder statesman of the team?

jabbar managed to get it done on an uptempo team by taking himself out of the break and staying back on defense; russell did it some also, i believe. not saying this applies to tim just looking at other examples

Blackjack
01-17-2010, 04:04 PM
As seen here (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126117), I'm a big proponent of a more uptempo pace.

But I can't say I disagree with #2!, in fact, it's a pretty similar take to the one I have..

spurs10
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I'd like to know if TP's injuries are going to allow them to step up the pace much. I'm thinking his PF is affecting his timing in both his passing and finishing. Without him at top speed it's obviously going to be tough to compete. Does anyone have any kind of idea how much rest he would need to get his step back? Are we looking at a full summer? Tim seems to have put it behind him.
If we continue to get killed on the boards and in the paint, this may all be a moot point.I've seen some real moments of magic this year, just unsure how fixable the team's problems are right now.

DPG21920
01-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Spurs ought to start Hill. It is at the point where his game has gotten better and his shooting and defense would help.

ajballer4
01-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Spurs ought to start Hill. It is at the point where his game has gotten better and his shooting and defense would help.

Instead of Bogans. Hill is just as good at D as Bogans and he can make shots. Its an obvious move. Sub him for Manu, then he can come back when Tony needs his rest

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree that it's time to start Hill..shake things up..

The Spurs are 26th in the NBA in fast break points and 26th in overall pace..very sad considering how they said they wanted to push the pace going into the season..it doesn't look like they practiced transition offense too much..