PDA

View Full Version : Would there be more scoring options with Parker at 2?

spursncowboys
01-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Manu and Hill playing point with parker at two. This would keep the lane open with parker having to be guarded close up. Also Parker has never been someone to create whereas Manu does a pretty good job at it. Hill is in his second year and there is no telling if he can maintain but so far he has been a pretty good pass first guard. Parker is a great player but it just seems the only time he passes is when he gets stopped. Nothing is created and they really just reset it. Parker gets the ball near the 3 and can fake a shot more often.

ajballer4
01-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Look at Hills assist numbers...they are nowhere near a PG average. He needs to stay playing the 2 with the occasional one.

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
This wouldn't change anything from a style standpoint..the label "PG" doesn't really matter..

Hill is even worse than Tony at creating plays for his teammates, that's not really debatable..

Tony's style isn't the problem..when Manu is in the game, he's always the playmaker anyways..Tony's just struggling with his speed and scoring, and a change of "label" wouldn't change that..

The other team would also be guarding Tony with the same player that they do now, they don't care about the label..

dbestpro
01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
We do not have an assist first player on the team. One of the reasons we have so many turn overs.

exstatic
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
The only label that will improve Tony's performance is Plantar Fasciitis free.

spursncowboys
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Right. I don't mean the title. I mean the guy bringing it up majority of the time.

exstatic
01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
We do not have an assist first player on the team. One of the reasons we have so many turn overs.

And yet, strangely, we haven't had one in 8 years with no real turnover problems. It's called "running a motion offense".

exstatic
01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Right. I don't mean the title. I mean the guy bringing it up majority of the time.

You don't think Tony's the best suited to bring the ball up? :lmao

Bruno
01-17-2010, 07:05 PM
If Spurs were that worried about Parker, they wouldn't have played him 34 mpg on a stretch of 4 games in 5 days.

IMO, it's just a rough stretch for Parker. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him being back at his level after the ASG.

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
+1 on exstatic..

People act like the Spurs have always had a "pass-first" PG and that it's led to our success..

spursncowboys
01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
When you automatically pass it in to Duncan most of the time, Parker was a pass first.
extatic: You use smilie icons more than a 12 yr old school girl texting. Did you even read the original post?

exstatic
01-17-2010, 07:11 PM
If Spurs were that worried about Parker, they wouldn't have played him 34 mpg on a stretch of 4 games in 5 days.

IMO, it's just a rough stretch for Parker. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him being back at his level after the ASG.

What other options do they really have? PF is insidious. It's debilitating, but no further damage can be done. He's not going to hurt himself more, but he's not going to get better either. It's like fan Chinese water torture.

Newsflash: he's not going to get better after the ASG. He'll have spots where he'll look a little bit better, but this doesn't just clear up without LONG rest, like 3-4 months. If he plays French NT ball again this summer, or ANY b-ball, the Spurs are fucked again next year.

spursncowboys
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
So using Parker as more of a role like Det put Hamilton in would not make more scoring options easier? Is it because everyone else sucks more than Parker at assists? Not saying parker sux.

MaNu4Tres
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
This wouldn't change anything from a style standpoint..the label "PG" doesn't really matter..

Hill is even worse than Tony at creating plays for his teammates, that's not really debatable..

Tony's style isn't the problem..when Manu is in the game, he's always the playmaker anyways..Tony's just struggling with his speed and scoring, and a change of "label" wouldn't change that..

The other team would also be guarding Tony with the same player that they do now, they don't care about the label..

Best post of the thread.

So many fans get tied up into the whole " PG" label. I made a thread a while a back on this very issue.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134661&highlight=label+position

exstatic
01-17-2010, 07:13 PM
When you automatically pass it in to Duncan most of the time, Parker was a pass first.
extatic: You use smilie icons more than a 12 yr old school girl texting. Did you even read the original post?

Four posts and one emoticon is "like a 12 yr old school girl"? And yes, I read it. One of the reasons I was laughing.

timvp
01-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Parker is the only real PG on the team. Hill has the ballhandling but not the playmaking. Manu has the playmaking but not the ballhandling. TP is the best ballhandler on the team (and in the league) and, when healthy, creates more plays than anyone on the team. Ginobili is easily the craftier and skilled playmaker but in terms of quantity and consistency it's no contest.

That said, if Parker is healthy enough to drive down the lane, that takes away almost all of his playmaking ability. He's great at using his drive to create space for other players. But he's not someone who can pick you apart with passes from the perimeter with the defense sagging.

spursncowboys
01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Not trying to get into the names and labels. I am referring to the guy who 90% of the time bring it up. I think Parker is one of the best players in the league. I just wonder if more will come from others if parker didn't have to worry about developing a play. Instead he sits on the wing and pulls a guy out. Does anyone else think Parker would be more of a threat if his defender would have to guard him with the idea he can pull up or drive?

exstatic
01-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Not trying to get into the names and labels. I am referring to the guy who 90% of the time bring it up. I think Parker is one of the best players in the league. I just wonder if more will come from others if parker didn't have to worry about developing a play. Instead he sits on the wing and pulls a guy out. Does anyone else think Parker would be more of a threat if his defender would have to guard him with the idea he can pull up or drive?

No one sits on the perimeter in terror of Tony's jumper. There' going to give him space to shoot, and contest out if he goes up for the J. He's SO much more dangerous with the ball on the move than waiting for a pass that may never come. His jumper is most effective with the ball on a penetration feint that gets his man backing up, and then he shoots a step back jumper, giving himself more room. Catch and shoot just isn't his game, or particularly within his skillset.

Chieflion
01-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Why would the Spurs do that? It doesn't help anyone at all.

doobs
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Forget moving Parker to SG. The Spurs already have Mason, Ginobili, Bogans, and (occasionally) Hill.

Moving Parker to SG would make an already thin PG situation even worse. What the Spurs need is a serviceable third-string PG.

Obstructed_View
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Parker is the only real PG on the team. Hill has the ballhandling but not the playmaking. Manu has the playmaking but not the ballhandling. TP is the best ballhandler on the team (and in the league) and, when healthy, creates more plays than anyone on the team. Ginobili is easily the craftier and skilled playmaker but in terms of quantity and consistency it's no contest.

In addition, the backup point guard position is so uncertain that Manu ends up running the point much of the time. It's the strangest reason to prevent him from moving back into the starting lineup that most of us would ever have predicted.

timvp
01-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I meant to say Parker is one of the best ballhandlers in the league ... not the best. (Before I get shouted down by a member of the anti-TP mob.)

timvp
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
In addition, the backup point guard position is so uncertain that Manu ends up running the point much of the time. It's the strangest reason to prevent him from moving back into the starting lineup that most of us would ever have predicted.

Good point. The Spurs need Hill and Manu on the court at the same time to run the backup PG. Hill supplies the ballhandling and Manu supplies the playmaking.

spursncowboys
01-17-2010, 08:35 PM
No one sits on the perimeter in terror of Tony's jumper. There' going to give him space to shoot, and contest out if he goes up for the J. He's SO much more dangerous with the ball on the move than waiting for a pass that may never come. His jumper is most effective with the ball on a penetration feint that gets his man backing up, and then he shoots a step back jumper, giving himself more room. Catch and shoot just isn't his game, or particularly within his skillset.

He does most of his shots off a pick not from the defender backing up. Rule one for anyone guarding parker, from every coach, is probably not to walk backwards-you will get burned everytime. Passing it to him doesn't take away his threat once he puts it on the court. Without him having to bring it in adds to his threat by making the defender come up on him. You are on crack if you honestly believe your first sentence. His shot is fucking deadly. A coach can make that decision to give him space, but he'll probably pay for it.

Agloco
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM

Outside of Manu you're right. Unfortunately he not able to run the point 30+ minutes a game like we need him to.

Hill and Parker are scorers, just with different styles.

Spursfan092120
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

Dalamar_the_Dark
01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Hill is not going to be a starting point guard in this league. He might be a serviceable starting SG cause of his defense. His offense is likely to improve but I think thats his ceiling.

If you had noticed something, with Finley and Bonner both out, we havent had the players to stretch the floor. Blair has played well but he gets most of his points from 2nd chances. This has caused Parker to have had limited outlet options.

Also, Manu hasnt been hitting his shots of late. So when our guys are not hitting the outside shot. Opponents are just going to clog up the lanes and stop Parker. Add plantar f********** and you just have a bad situation. Dont forget. Opponents are now focusing on Parker and treating him as an elite player and are not double teaming Duncan anymore.

Just accept the fact that Parker is not going off for 25 PPG cause the Spurs are better offensively now and we have a strong bench. Parker can reach 25 PPG in the playoffs for all I care. But winning is the most important.

Brazil
01-18-2010, 06:43 AM

That said, if Parker is healthy enough to drive down the lane, that takes away almost all of his playmaking ability. He's great at using his drive to create space for other players. But he's not someone who can pick you apart with passes from the perimeter with the defense sagging.

good post.

We are looking problem where there is no problem. Regarding Parker the only problem is mental/physical issues. I hope like Bruno that TP will be much better after the ASG break.