PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Martha

Cyrano
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
The oldest member of my family, my favorite cousin, Martha Blosser, passed away this afternoon at age 95. Martha was Amish, and had never married, and lived most of her life on a dairy farm in the Shenendoah valley of Virginia. The farm on Moonglow Hill was the gathering place for the entire family for decades, and was one of the most peaceful spots I've ever been. Martha was the one who was always in charge of the children who visited, and into her eighties could be found flying kites, riding sleds, and generally enjoying life in the company of the youngest members of the clan, all of whom adored her. She never got angry, swore, or in any way was less than perfectly serene, and was about the best role model for the kids possible in this day and age. The only times I can recall her raising her voice was to call the cows back to the barn every evening.
I named my daughter after her, and I'm so glad that my own kids had the privilege of knowing her. Martha will be sorely missed by five generations of this family.

PuttPutt
01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
sorry for your loss.

Sportcamper
01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Martha sounds like she had a peaceful rich life…

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Im sorry about your loss.... and hope things will turn out to be ok...

its ok to CRY...

God bless you and your fam

TheManFromAcme
01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
May your Aunt, RIP.
Sadly, the older generation, the genetation that molded this county, are slowly fading away but never to be forgotten.

mrsmaalox
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a really neat lady, Cyrano. My in-laws had an "Aunt Myrtle" who played the same role in their family, and it fascinated me how much impact one sincere, uncomplicated soul could have on the lives of so many. RIP, Martha.

balli
01-18-2010, 02:21 PM
The Amish about the only innocents left in this country. Awesome way of life. As is her experience in heaven, I'm sure.

Cyrano
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
It was always a treat to spend time at the farm with "the girls", Martha, and her sisters Rachel and Mary. Time had absolutely no meaning there, as they did not drive a car or own a television or telephone. Life was completely simple and uncomplicated there. I remember one year there was an unexpected freeze, and they protected their garden plants by covering them with blankets. Well, not exactly blankets, more like two dozen handmade quilts, some of them almost 100 years old, every one of them museum quality. For holiday dinners, they always used a lace tablecloth which had been made by my aunt Annie somewhere around 1896. When Martha finally went to a nursing home, the house was sold, and it was discovered that most of the window glass in the house was over 150 years old and had been re-used from an earlier building.
Yes, I'm sad at Martha's passing, but can't help but smile and chuckle when I think about all the time we spent exploring the hillsides and hunting "wild diamonds" (small rose quartz crystals that you could just pick up off the ground by the pocketful.). So, I don't think I'll engage in mournful memories. Instead, I think I'll go fly a kite with my grandkids. i know that's what Martha would be doing.

Spursfan092120
01-18-2010, 03:34 PM
I apologize for your loss, Cyrano..looks like we lost a great person on this earth. Not sure if you believe in heaven and hell, but it really seems as though God got himself a good one. Take care, and be strong.