PDA

View Full Version : Bowen (unofficially) Defensive Player of Year

FromWayDowntown
04-27-2005, 11:45 AM
From the Detroit Free Press this morning:

Nothing is official yet, but it appears San Antonio swingman Bruce Bowen is the front-runner for defensive player of the year over Ben Wallace. An announcement from the league is expected soon, but Wallace took the news in stride.

"That's the way it goes if that's the case," said Wallace, who has won the award twice. "I'm not going to make a big deal of it. There are bigger things still to go after."

Link (http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pnotes27e_20050427.htm)

Now, if he'll just play that way tonight . . . .

Ishta
04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
How great is this!!!! Bowen has shown that he truly deserves this.... Nobody wants him defending them.. Great job Bruce keep it up for tonight...7 hours 14 minutes till game time!
Go Spurs Go

Clandestino
04-27-2005, 12:02 PM
unofficially? wtf.. is the wendy's spokesman too?

alamo50
04-27-2005, 12:36 PM
So what was different this year compared to last year?
The awards in the NBA are a joke.

timvp
04-27-2005, 01:07 PM
This would be very nice.

Mr. Peabody
04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
unofficially? wtf.. is the wendy's spokesman too?

:lol :lol
________
INFANT WELLBUTRIN (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

grjr
04-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Ron Artest is defending the CD rack at Circuit City this year.

Spurminator
04-27-2005, 01:48 PM

Publicity.

Solid D
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
The more whining the more pub for Bruce. People are starting to watch him for themselves now and notice how he really defends people.

T Park
04-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Whats different??

No Rick Carlisle throwing out BS numbers and incorrect material.

Bowen though, IMO, hasnt played as good a defense THIS YEAR as he has in the past.

His D on Anthony on Sunday was awesome.

Hell need to bring it even harder tonight, hopefully he does, and hopefully he brings about 4 three pointers with him too.

Nikos
04-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Honestly I would rather Bowen hit his threes more than anything.

Yeah Melo can get hot, but I would hope the Spurs have a good enough team defense and offense to offset a team that is weaker than them offensively.

ducks
04-27-2005, 03:40 PM
EXPLOITING WEBBER: The Sixers know the Pistons are out to exploit Chris Webber, who with a sore left knee clearly doesn't have the explosiveness that once made him so dangerous. One of the ways the Sixers are coping is by having Samuel Dalembert switch off Ben Wallace and guard Rasheed Wallace when Ben sets picks on pick-and-rolls.

"Sam has the length and the range to be able to stop the basketball and then recover it back," Sixers coach Jim O'Brien said.

Dalembert said before Game 2 that he felt a lot more comfortable than he did Saturday, which was his NBA playoff debut.

"After you experience the first game, you get comfortable," he said. "Now there is no butterflies, no nervousness. You feel like, 'Hey, I experienced the first game, and there is nothing different.' I think it should be much easier for us now."

texbound
04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
EXPLOITING WEBBER: The Sixers know the Pistons are out to exploit Chris Webber, who with a sore left knee clearly doesn't have the explosiveness that once made him so dangerous. One of the ways the Sixers are coping is by having Samuel Dalembert switch off Ben Wallace and guard Rasheed Wallace when Ben sets picks on pick-and-rolls.

"Sam has the length and the range to be able to stop the basketball and then recover it back," Sixers coach Jim O'Brien said.

Dalembert said before Game 2 that he felt a lot more comfortable than he did Saturday, which was his NBA playoff debut.

"After you experience the first game, you get comfortable," he said. "Now there is no butterflies, no nervousness. You feel like, 'Hey, I experienced the first game, and there is nothing different.' I think it should be much easier for us now."

What does this have to do with Bowen and his defense?

ducks
04-27-2005, 04:29 PM
it was in the same article and some were thinking that trading webber the kings were stupid

T Park
04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah Ducks, cause the Kings are doing fantastic right now.

baseline bum
04-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Sac was stupid to trade Webber. Their halfcourt offense in pathetic now. Players like Kenny Thomas can always be had without having to give up the foundation of one's team. Building around Stojakovic is ridiculous. There's no bigger pussy in the postseason than Peja.

timvp
04-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Sac was stupid to trade Webber. Their halfcourt offense in pathetic now. Players like Kenny Thomas can always be had without having to give up the foundation of one's team. Building around Stojakovic is ridiculous. There's no bigger pussy in the postseason than Peja.

The Kings made out like bandits in that trade. They weren't going to win anyways with him and they were able to get rid of his contract and get three pretty good pieces.

ducks
04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
if webber was doing anything against the pistions
then you could look back at the trade
webber looks used up

baseline bum
04-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Kenny Thoms, Scoreless Williamson, and Brian Skinner are scrubs. Sac was cheap. Look at their offense before and after Webber's departure. Webber made that offense run in the halfcourt. They weren't going to win a title with him, but there not going to win one period anyways no matter what they do as long as they have Stojakovic. A player like Thomas can be had with MLE type money. I can't believe people who talk crap about Holt for dumping Rose's contract can say this deal was good for Sac.

timvp
04-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Kenny Thoms, Scoreless Williamson, and Brian Skinner are scrubs. Sac was cheap. Look at their offense before and after Webber's departure. Webber made that offense run in the halfcourt. They weren't going to win a title with him, but there not going to win one period anyways no matter what they do as long as they have Stojakovic. A player like Thomas can be had with MLE type money. I can't believe people who talk crap about Holt for dumping Rose's contract can say this deal was good for Sac.

I would take Thomas, Williamson or Skinner right now before I'd take Webber. Do you watch the Sixers' games?

This was a steal for the Kings.

pooh
04-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Bowen should be sending a thank you card to Artest for being suspended, other wise it would be a repeat for him.

baseline bum
04-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I saw Webber drop 27 in game 1. His rebounding sucks, but are you telling me Sacramento's offense looks better now with Thomas over Webber? They never get any easy shots anymore.

tekdragon
04-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Artest should be sending an apology card to his team for being an idiot and destroying their season.

1Parker1
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
People around here are very disapointed with Webber. I went to the third game or so that he played here, and people were actually booing him cuz he sucked so bad. He did score 27 points in game 1, but he had like 3 rebounds. Plus he is obviously much slower than he was pre-injury. If Iverson had a legitimate star/quality type player next to him, Detroit wouldn't be sweeping them this year :(

TroyF
04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
The more whining the more pub for Bruce. People are starting to watch him for themselves now and notice how he really defends people.

Congrats to Bruce. He's a good guy and deserves the award.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say how he really defends people. He does do a lot of what he gets criticized for. Hell, he admits it. His rep lets him get away with putting his hands on players frequently without getting a call. He clutches and grabs frequently.

That's not a slam, it's a compliment. He drives opponents up the wall. He knows all of the little tricks and he knows exactly what he can and can't get away with.

Like the rest of the Spurs, he also has an incredibly high defensive IQ. He knows when to pressure, when to go over/under screens. His film study combined with a natural knack of knowing what an opposing player is going to do before they do. He's special to watch.

But he most certainly clutches, grabs, and does many of the things people hate him for. The hate should be admiration, but that's the way it goes.

tekdragon
04-27-2005, 06:03 PM
so when do they announce officially?

xcoriate
04-27-2005, 06:24 PM
by making him the front runner Big Ben becomes an underdog!

Everyone votes for the underdog.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-27-2005, 06:29 PM
I will believe this when i hear it announced by Stern

Bowen played his best defense in the championship year, stephen jackson and bowen kept every opposing wingmen on LOCK that year

he has played DAMN well this year too though, no doubt about that. He had a monster 2 months some time this year, i can't remember which to.

Guys, the thing that is so pathetic about this, is that we all know bowen is the shit, that he deserves something this great, BUT, the saddest part of it all, is that i think the reason he's getting alot of credit now is due to the fact that sean elliott and steve kerr have been saying all year how much his OFFENSIVE game has improved.

Think about it.
I haven't.