PDA

View Full Version : Making A Difference

01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
A former Marine Corps Scout/Sniper decides to help however he can in Haiti, and an operation/team is born.

Team Rubicon (http://badgerjake.blogspot.com/)

I've followed Jake Wood's exploits for years since discovering his blog. A former collegiate Division I athlete (Played football for Wisconsin) who enlisted in the Marine Corps after graduating and fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. His enlistment up, he shut his blog down for a number of months, but when I opened it this morning I was shocked at what I was reading.

Lots of folks wonder about the generations following them and whether or not they're up to the task. Well, to borrow a the title from the Who, "The Kids Are Alright".

Duff McCartney
01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Lots of folks wonder about the generations following them and whether or not they're up to the task. Well, to borrow a the title from the Who, "The Kids Are Alright".

I don't understand what this is supposed to imply? I know what you mean that you think this generation is doing alright..but to think this new generation is gonna fuck up the world is preposterous. I don't think the youth is any more up to the task than anyone before them.

Hell bad shit has happened since the beginning of recorded history. No generation was better or worse than any other.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't understand what this is supposed to imply? I know what you mean that you think this generation is doing alright..but to think this new generation is gonna fuck up the world is preposterous. I don't think the youth is any more up to the task than anyone before them.

Hell bad shit has happened since the beginning of recorded history. No generation was better or worse than any other.

bullshit. As a general rule we get weaker every generation and you are a prime example.

BacktoBasics
01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
No question the last few generations have reset the bar for a standard of whining self entitled egotistical lazy worthless pieces of shit.

baseline bum
01-18-2010, 04:47 PM
bullshit. As a general rule we get weaker every generation and you are a prime example.

The baby boomers are the weakest generation this nation has ever had, and all the younger generations are now paying bigtime for their screwups.

spursncowboys
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
the baby boomers are the weakest generation this nation has ever had, and all the younger generations are now paying bigtime for their screwups.
+1

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
The baby boomers are the weakest generation this nation has ever had, and all the younger generations are now paying bigtime for their screwups.

I guess we will just agree to disagree on that one...I'm certainly not proud of the Nancy Pelosi's and Barney Franks but as a general rule we were still more productive and tougher than the last couple of crops of whiners.

Duff McCartney
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM

What are you basing that on? Nothing. Your own stupid ass redneck biased. You're the type of people that ruin the world because you look down on every generation like yours was the greatest. The fact that so much fucked up shit is still going on in the world means no generation has ever been better or worse than the next one or the one before it.

I'm 26 years old..and at the very least a person of color has been voted into the White House due by a good number of the younger generation voting him in.

A person of color would have never been voted in by the youth when you were 26 I'm sure.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
What are you basing that on? Nothing. Your own stupid ass redneck biased. You're the type of people that ruin the world because you look down on every generation like yours was the greatest. The fact that so much fucked up shit is still going on in the world means no generation has ever been better or worse than the next one or the one before it.

I'm 26 years old..and at the very least a person of color has been voted into the White House due by a good number of the younger generation voting him in.

A person of color would have never been voted in by the youth when you were 26 I'm sure.

So your vote for a "person of color" establishes your moral superiority over previous generations?

that and 96 cents will get you a coffee refill at the Exxon.

Oh that's right. You need Starbucks.

Congratulations on being 26 and accomplishing absolutely nothing except moral enlightenment. BTW, still living with your parents?

When I was 26 I already owned a house and was making 100k a year ruining the world.

01-18-2010, 08:07 PM

And you read that into what I wrote?

Duff McCartney
01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
So your vote for a "person of color" establishes your moral superiority over previous generations?

that and 96 cents will get you a coffee refill at the Exxon.

Oh that's right. You need Starbucks.

Congratulations on being 26 and accomplishing absolutely nothing except moral enlightenment. BTW, still living with your parents?

When I was 26 I already owned a house and was making 100k a year ruining the world.

I never said anything about moral superiority. I'm simply stating that no generation was/is any better than the generation before it or after it. As evidenced by the fact that it took almost 300 years before a black man ever got voted into the White House.

What does Starbucks have to do with anything? I don't even drink coffee.

I don't live with my parents. So what have you accomplished? Buying a house and making a 100K? Oooh you think you're the first person in history to own a home? Or make 100k a year? You've done almost as much as I have..nothing. In 100...hell in 50 years nobody will remember your name. You'll be 6 feet under and aside from your family and friends..no one will ever know you existed. The same as me...unless we both do something extraordinary..like change the world into something betteror if you will worse, but I'm hoping it never comes to that.

Every generation has extraordinary people who change it for the better..and also sometimes for the worst.

Duff McCartney
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
And you read that into what I wrote?

Well to be fair you did say about those people who think the next generation is not up the task. They aren't any more "up to the task" then I'm sure your generation was when the torch was handed to them.

My point is simply that every generation looks at the next one and questions their heart and determination. Since probably the beginning of human history..yet we're all still alive for the most part. The world isn't some anarchist hell hole, wars still happen, poverty still exist, and bad shit happens. That may never change, but to think that it is somehow the result of a bad generation is just ridiculous.

It's more than likely just the way humanity is.

Dro210
01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Hahaha, I'm all about equality, and I think it made a good statement from that standpoint.... but I wouldn't use electing Obama as an example when trying to look good at this point.

I agree with the baby boomers thing sort of. It didn't start with baby boomers tho, it's just a progressive thing, and once the ball starts rolling downhill, it only gains momentum. Sure there were some built tough, hard working, intelligent people to come from the bb generation. There's some in these newer ones. But it was the preceding generations' fuck ups that influenced and raised this generations fuck ups... and so on, and so on... add in the rapidly increasing help from mass media and a government hand, and the numbers just keep multiplying.