PDA

View Full Version : Free nitrogen

remingtonbo2001
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Have you considered inflating your tires with Nitrogen? Inflating your vehicle's tires with Nitrogen will increase your vehicle's fuel economy by 3% and will increase your vehicle's tire life by 25%. Our Nitrogen Service is a lifetime service for your vehicle's tires. Come by the Express Lube on Nacogoches and receive FREE Nitrogen Service for your vehicle's tires with any Full Service Synthetic Oil Change.

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
interesting...

thanks for the discounts :)

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Have you considered inflating your tires with Nitrogen? Inflating your vehicle's tires with Nitrogen will increase your vehicle's fuel economy by 3% and will increase your vehicle's tire life by 25%. Our Nitrogen Service is a lifetime service for your vehicle's tires. Come by the Express Lube on Nacogoches and receive FREE Nitrogen Service for your vehicle's tires with any Full Service Synthetic Oil Change.

Bo, I am calling you out on the numbers you just quoted. Agree that Nitrogen is more inert than regular air and might not vary +/- 1# as much as normal air but all other things being equal (properly inflated tires) nitrogen WILL NOT increase your gas mileage 3% or make your tires last longer (especially 25%).

Kori Ellis
01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Bo, I am calling you out on the numbers you just quoted. Agree that Nitrogen is more inert than regular air and might not vary +/- 1# as much as normal air but all other things being equal (properly inflated tires) nitrogen WILL NOT increase your gas mileage 3% or make your tires last longer (especially 25%).

Some truck testing stats...

In 7 million miles of truck tire testing, Nitrogen inflated tires lasted longer.
* Tire failures were reduced by 50%
* Tread life was increased by 25-30%
* Fuel economy was increased by 5-6%

http://www.sunliner.com/nitrogen/index.html

"Drexan completed the long-haul trucking trial to determine the benefits of Nitrogen tire inflation, and the results exceeded our expectations," says Mech. "Moreover, fuel efficiency of the nitrogen inflated equipment increased by 3.3 percent even though the tire pressure of the air inflated tires was aggressively maintained. We did not expect this, so it is very good news."

http://www.todaystrucking.com/decisioncenter.cfm?subsection=story&intDocID=18160&intDecisionCenterID=1&CFID=3408738&CFTOKEN=63640546

According to these, Bo is right with his numbers.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Some truck testing stats...

In 7 million miles of truck tire testing, Nitrogen inflated tires lasted longer.
* Tire failures were reduced by 50%
* Tread life was increased by 25-30%
* Fuel economy was increased by 5-6%

http://www.sunliner.com/nitrogen/index.html

"Drexan completed the long-haul trucking trial to determine the benefits of Nitrogen tire inflation, and the results exceeded our expectations," says Mech. "Moreover, fuel efficiency of the nitrogen inflated equipment increased by 3.3 percent even though the tire pressure of the air inflated tires was aggressively maintained. We did not expect this, so it is very good news."

http://www.todaystrucking.com/decisioncenter.cfm?subsection=story&intDocID=18160&intDecisionCenterID=1&CFID=3408738&CFTOKEN=63640546

According to these, Bo is right with his numbers.

Agree that nitrogen has some proven benefits because it is an inert dry gas but the because of the volume difference and use difference (heat buildup from continuous driving in trucking and larger volumes of air) the same benefits have not been documented in passenger car tires. The one nice thing about nitrogen is that you know that it is "dry". I always air our fleet at our shop which has a "dryer" on the air compressor but if you just air your tires at random places you do have a chance to pick up moisture inside the tire which is the primary problem normally attributed to "air".

phyzik
01-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Where-upon you will tell us that our oil system needed to be flushed, and our brakes are bad and our coolant system isnt working at peak condition and so on and so forth, and that it will cost an additional $500.00 to $5000.00 to properly fix the problems. :lol

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Where-upon you will tell us that our oil system needed to be flushed, and our brakes are bad and our coolant system isnt working at peak condition and so on and so forth, and that it will cost an additional $500.00 to $5000.00 to properly fix the problems. :lol

This isn't a "smack Bo" thread. I in no way insinuated he was not honest. I'm sure he was just transmitting the information about nitrogen that has been given to him. Just pointing out that there has been a robust debate about nitrogen in car tires since it first started being aggressively marketed by the companies that sell the machines to the shops. Typically the engineering/science guys say it is an insignificant improvement at best and the marketing/sales guys have made claims not only about mileage and tire wear, but that the "car rides" better with nitrogen.

Bigzax
01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
eh...if it's good enough for costco, it's good enough for me!

Sportcamper
01-18-2010, 04:38 PM
I am good with the free nitrogen in the tires…I just don’t like synthetic oil… The theory that it does not need to be changed as often…

phxspurfan
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
This isn't a "smack Bo" thread. I in no way insinuated he was not honest. I'm sure he was just transmitting the information about nitrogen that has been given to him. Just pointing out that there has been a robust debate about nitrogen in car tires since it first started being aggressively marketed by the companies that sell the machines to the shops. Typically the engineering/science guys say it is an insignificant improvement at best and the marketing/sales guys have made claims not only about mileage and tire wear, but that the "car rides" better with nitrogen.

Oh how I love marketing guys. Their contribution to the world is so necessary.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 05:50 PM
The big argument for nitrogen is that it is a slightly larger molecule than oxygen so it doesn't "migrate" through the tire (thus losing tire pressure) like O2 does. OK...but air is already 79% Nitrogen and 20% Oxygen. Lets say I fill my tire with air and ALL the oxygen migrates out. Then I refill my tire with air again. Now by definition my tire would be filled with 95% Nitrogen and 5% Oxygen. Lets say I lose ALL the oxygen again and refill with air again. By their own definition I should now be 98% Nitrogen and less than 2% Oxygen. That's just after the second time I add air to the tire. Technically by the Nitrogen proponents definition since I already have added some air to my tires multiple times (I have about 20,000 miles on this set and check air every 3000 miles) I'm already running almost pure Nitrogen.

Wild Cobra
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Well, some have nitrogen to sell. Anyone want a bridge? Or a Shuttle Craft?

I'll sell you a bridge for cheap. The Shuttle Craft will cost $29 million, delivery included.

Shuttles FOR SALE (http://gizmodo.com/5113084/nasa-explores-possibility-of-selling-shuttles-for-42-million)

was $42M, i heard dropped to $29M.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd like to know the mechanism by which it increases fuel efficiency. I can see how it might affect tire wear, but not fuel efficiency.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
/end thread

Bunch of haters on this site. The guy is just trying to get business by offering additional servies at a discount to no cost and people trying to read between the lines to find something misleading.

bite me.

I'm not hating on Bo.

It's a good deal for the kind of people that don't normally watch things like oil changes, trans service, and tire pressure.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd like to know the mechanism by which it increases fuel efficiency. I can see how it might affect tire wear, but not fuel efficiency.

CosmicCowboy
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
The assumption is that tire pressures are checked hot. Then when they cool off the Nitrogen/Oxygen mix will be at a slightly lower pressure than the pure Nitrogen mix, thus a lower tire pressure and thus lower gas mileage. The fix is to air your tires up cold just like checking your oil when the engine is cold.

I'd hit it
01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Bo,
Do you have Mobile1 5W-30?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-18-2010, 09:06 PM
The assumption is that tire pressures are checked hot. Then when they cool off the Nitrogen/Oxygen mix will be at a slightly lower pressure than the pure Nitrogen mix, thus a lower tire pressure and thus lower gas mileage. The fix is to air your tires up cold just like checking your oil when the engine is cold.

Indeed - so it's actually about the pressure in the tire and nothing to do with the nitrogen. Get the pressure right with whatever mixture of gases you like and you'll get the same mileage from your engine.

CavsSuperFan
01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I am wondering if Bo can inject that nitrogen in tennis shoes…We could all be “Light in the Loafers” like Lakers fans…

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
If you're willing to adjust your tire pressure on a weekly basis, then the benefits with Nitrogen in regards to an increase in fuel economy and increased tire wear isn't as great.

The increase in fuel economy and tire wear is produced by having properly inflated tires, by which inflating a vehicle's tires with Nitrogen does for a longer period of time.

There are not many who have an air compressor at their disposal. As well, who would like to stop by weekly at their local service station to have their tire pressure adjusted?

That being said, the greatest benefit of Nitrogen is the ability to go longer without having to continually adjust the pressure in a vehicle's tires.

remingtonbo2001
01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
In addition our Nitrogen Service is a lifetime service with regard to the life of the vehicle's tires.