PDA

View Full Version : Game Primer: Spurs @ Hornets - Jan. 18

timvp
01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
To avoid losing three games in a row, the Spurs need to beat the Hornets this afternoon. New Orleans is currently on the outside of the playoffs looking in, however they matchup well against the Spurs and always seem to raise their level of play against the silver and black. This is going to be another difficult contest.

Keys to a Spurs Victory

1. Turn Chris Paul into a scorer. While he's obviously a great player, Paul has historically hurt the Spurs a lot more when he's passing rather than scoring. If he scores 35 but doesn't get his teammates going, the Spurs will gladly take that. However, be warned that he's a much better three-point shooter this year. The Spurs can't give him too many open looks beyond the arc.

2. Limit the turnover disparity. The Hornets limit their turnovers and force a good amount of turnovers. The Spurs, conversely, turn the ball over but don't force many turnovers on the other end. That is not a healthy recipe. The Spurs can't afford to lose too many possessions in this game.

3. Wake up Richard Jefferson. When the Spurs traded for Jefferson, this is exactly the type of game they envisioned him taking a lead role. With the Big 3 road weary and the team playing its fifth game in six and a half nights, Jefferson needs to step up and give the team a good effort. If he has another stinker like he did against the Grizzlies, San Antonio is doomed.

Matchup to Watch

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg vs. http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3930.jpg

Tony Parker has been horrid the last two games. Today he squares off against the best point guard in the NBA. If Parker doesn't have more bounce to his step, Paul may eat him alive. If, by some miracle, Parker can play Paul to a standstill, the Spurs have a good chances of pulling the win.

Inside the Numbers

Richard Jefferson currently has a PER of 13.36. With a PER of 15 being average, Jefferson is statistically a below average player so far. And things are getting worse instead of better. Compared to November, games in the months of December and January have seen him shoot less, score less, rebound less, assist less and get to the line less. The only thing he's doing "better" is attempting jumpers from beyond the three-point stripe.

Did You Know?

Speaking of PER, Chris Paul had a PER of 30.04 last season -- the highest PER in the history of the NBA for a point guard. The only players to register a higher PER in league history are Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Tracy McGrady.

TIMMYD!
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't worry, you can expect RJ to have another non-factor game.

z0sa
01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Spurs just haven't shown much improvement since the beginning of the season, all things considered. Manu and others agree that it has been a disappointment thus far. I'm not even sure we're contenders, relatively speaking. Just a shame really, because every time we look like we're progressing quickly, we immediately turn around and fail miserably against upper tier competition (and even below that). Add to the problem Parker's plantar fasciitis and Manu's slight, but growing discontent (and the real kicker - should we trade him for someone or risk him leaving or sucking for the rest of his life?) and we have the Spurs in the most expensive bind ever.

I think most of it is mentality and perhaps, even the system itself. Pop is drilling defense into these guys heads and we just don't have the personnel to be a top 5 defensive team - ESPECIALLY when we play small (even if its to matchup); in fact, I liken playing small for more than brief stretches or on O/D at the ends of games to playing 4on5. Also, the system is predicated on a healthy TP as the driving fuel of its engine - and TP is clearly not that, and won't be for a very long time.

Libri
01-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Bruce was a nightmare for Peja. I hope RJ brings his defense.

Agloco
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Bruce was a nightmare for Peja. I hope RJ brings his defense.

Yeah Bruce shut him down every time we met. Having said that, I expect to see Peja go for 30 today.....

MB20
01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Shut down "downtown" Devin Brown. They have no bench besides him.

silverblackfan
01-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Go Spurs! Heres to hoping the bench and provide the lift to get some game separation. Agree with everyone that RJ and Tony have to be ready to prove something.
It will be interesting to see how Blair handles West. Will he get in foul trouble or bother West with his solid body?

TheManFromAcme
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Go Spurs! Heres to hoping the bench and provide the lift to get some game separation. Agree with everyone that RJ and Tony have to be ready to prove something.
It will be interesting to see how Blair handles West. Will he get in foul trouble or bother West with his solid body?

He may be the Spurs x-factor this game. I look for Dejuan having a solid game and then some.

Good luck with NO tonight.

quentin_compson
01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah Bruce shut him down every time we met. Having said that, I expect to see Peja go for 30 today.....

Well, I don't. Peja's better days are way behind him.

Parker playing well will be especially important today. RJ showing up would be nice as well.

Spurs Brazil
01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
TP/Hill must do a good job on CP3 on D, if they don't we're in big trouble

And I also hope Dice plays. He may be the best option on West

Bukefal
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I think TP will do well today, he needs to control Paul. Let's hope Jefferson shows something good though.

We should be able to kick their asses.

http://blog.ecosmart.com/wp-content/hornet_coupon2.jpg

http://www.unoclean.com/Janitorial-Supplies/Cleaning-Chemicals-Supplies/TMS3653-Timemist-Pro-Exterminator-Wasp-Hornet-And-Yellow-Jacket-Killer.jpghttp://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/44498fd87b9d5fe5807dd17c62b5995a.jpg

lurker23
01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
How do you think they'll handle the defensive matchups, especially in the opening minutes? Any chance they'll start Bogans out on Paul, with Parker on Devin Brown? If the Spurs don't like this matchup, should we expect even more extended minutes for George Hill?

urunobili
01-18-2010, 02:26 PM
The Hornets will be looking for vengeance after the opening game... If the Spurs pull this one out i'll be shocked...

phxspurfan
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Yes, please, Jefferson, play some ball tonite.

Bukefal
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Jefferson is out :(

DPG21920
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Well not only did TP play Paul to a draw, he out played him.

Bukefal
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Paul who? :lol

Parker was great tonight. Nice to see.

DPG21920
01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, it is great to see that when TP wants to send a message, he looks healthy enough to do it.

HarlemHeat37
01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm not really that worried about Parker after seeing some of these flashes..I think Bruno was right when he said that the fatigue is a bigger issue than the injury..I think we'll have a good Parker for the playoffs..

Now we just need to fix Manu's scoring(I'm not that concerned with this one) and fix RJ's entire game..

DPG21920
01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Manu's scoring certainly concerns me as of right now. He is finishing terrible. I am so concerned with his jumper, but he is not finishing hardly anything in the paint.

RJ has shown flashes of being bad ass, but they are so few and far between.

Bukefal
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Exactly. The best thing is, he is so motivated and still works his ass off. Yeah you can see he is tired sometimes and especially with back to back games.

But im already glad that he can overcome his fatigue and injury when he wants to and when he adjusts to it. Also am I glad he does alot better than at the beginning of the season. You can tell it takes alot from him, but still he does it.