PDA

View Full Version : Ways to know you're dreaming?

phxspurfan
01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I have been doing my usual Monday routine. Getting coffee, checking email, other stuff when I noticed that all the stock market things say Friday still. So I think "How is this possible? it's Monday, isn't it?" Or isn't it.

I saw on Waking Life (the movie) that light switches don't work when you
re dreaming but I'm not around any light switches in my office. How else does one figure out if this is just a dream?

phxspurfan
01-18-2010, 01:05 PM
:|

Dex
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I used to study the subject of lucid dreaming a little bit. Intriguing concept, and I have been able to take over my actions in dreams before (to a varying degree of success). I've actually willed myself to fly in dreams before; it's fun.

The problem is, you typically don't realize you are dreaming while you are dreaming. For some reason, our minds are oblivious to even the most nonsensical things in dreamland. That's why you have to train yourself to recognize certain elements, or Triggers.

Various triggers in dreams that seem common upon most people (I've experienced most of these)
1) Light switches often don't work as expected
2) Reading any written language is difficult. If you look at a book or piece of writing, look away, then look back, the words will change or not make sense.
3) Dialing phones and reading clocks is difficult as well (see #2)
4) Glass often will not break, even when thrown/smashed
5) Difficulty getting any forward momentum while running
6) You end up anywhere other than your bed in your underwear. :lol

I know there are more: I'm sure a little googling of lucid dreaming will find you plenty of information on the subject. You are supposed to train your mind to recognize these things, that way you can identify a dream when you are in one. Then, the hard part is not exciting yourself to wake.

Unfortunately, I very rarely go lucid in dreams anymore just because my sleep schedule is sporadic and I don't dream like I used to, but it's definitely interesting when you can become conscious of your unconscious state.

balli
01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
A calendar might help.

phxspurfan
01-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not dreaming. I just forgot it's MLK Day today. Another holiday no one but kids get.

Dex
01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not dreaming. I just forgot it's MLK Day today. Another holiday no one but kids get.

Don't forget those lazy postal workers.

Cyrano
01-19-2010, 01:34 AM
aaaaaand.....the number one reason you know you're dreaming:

Mouse only has one screen name, and has never heard the word "conspiracy".

Nash2TimeMVp
01-19-2010, 01:35 AM
when you see a skinny black hobo dude in a 24hour fitness gym doing 85lbs flat dumbbell fly.