PDA

View Full Version : Did something I never thought I would do....

Cry Havoc
01-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I purchased a PSP.

It's the PSP 1000. Got it for $70 in an ebay auction.

I'm gonna mod the heck out of it. :lol

baseline bum
01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Man, I never used my PSP after getting it. It couldn't even run SNES games even when I maxed-out the clock-rate at 333MHz (I think), and the NES emulator for it was really buggy. Maybe the PSX emulator is better, but overall my PSP experience was that it was pretty useless. Then again, I'm more pissed about the experience since I bought it new for a hell of a lot more than $70. :pctoss

Rip-Hamilton32
01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
ive had one since a week after it came out a week later it was on top of my tv and hasn't been moved since lol

DarkReign
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
My sanity on every flight is saved by PSP. Call me ADD, whatever.

Cry Havoc
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Man, I never used my PSP after getting it. It couldn't even run SNES games even when I maxed-out the clock-rate at 333MHz (I think), and the NES emulator for it was really buggy. Maybe the PSX emulator is better, but overall my PSP experience was that it was pretty useless. Then again, I'm more pissed about the experience since I bought it new for a hell of a lot more than $70. :pctoss

Well, I know a guy who modded his and apparently it works perfectly with everything from NES/SNES/PSX/N64 etc. It will also play DS and other PSP games if they're torrented/installed correctly, and he's also using a mod that allows PS2 games as well. I'll see if I can get you some of the info if you still have yours. Maybe there is hope yet.

My sanity on every flight is saved by PSP. Call me ADD, whatever.

ADD!

But seriously, I'm getting this system for a couple of very specific reasons: 1. When I go to my father's house to visit I am generally bored to tears, as he's a disabled vet and spends 80% of his days parked in front of his TV watching Westerns.
2. I might be moving to Washington DC soon, and as such will probably be using public transit as a means of getting around.

I have a DS, but it's the original, and I didn't feel like buying a new system when I could have a PSP that does the same thing and for cheaper.

baseline bum
01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, I know a guy who modded his and apparently it works perfectly with everything from NES/SNES/PSX/N64 etc. It will also play DS and other PSP games if they're torrented/installed correctly, and he's also using a mod that allows PS2 games as well. I'll see if I can get you some of the info if you still have yours. Maybe there is hope yet.

Maybe the emulators have significantly improved in the last year and a half, but before I gave my PSP away, MAME was almost unplayable, lots of SNES games couldn't play at normal speed, and the NES emulator had many random crashes. As far as I could find, there was only one of each emulator that worked on it. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed by it (even moreso because the only native game that was fun was Loco Roco).

iggypop123
01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
emulators are good now. last yr i tried my cousins' and everything ran to perfection except for mortal kombat 2. that slowed down

z0sa
01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
That's a really sweet buy. Just watch for muggers on the DC trains lol

koriwhat
01-18-2010, 11:09 PM
through mine in a drawer about 2 wks after buying it, about 3 hrs of play, and have never taken it back out. it's dead to me! useless pos!

Cry Havoc
01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Also, you can get a TON of UMD movies at Gamestop for $3. Not a bad deal.

duhoh
01-19-2010, 01:18 AM
yo mine has everything before the ps2 era. playing chrono cross, then switching to chrono trigger, then to some madden 10 or tekken 6? good stuff. PM me if you want any help bro.

Mister Sinister
01-19-2010, 11:23 PM
I have a 3000, haven't considered getting it modded, but it's great for road trips up to conventions. Down time in the security room when I'm on shift, that's when I bust out the DS.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-31-2010, 01:51 AM
what all can a psp be modded to do?

Cry Havoc
01-31-2010, 02:03 AM
LOVING my PSP so far. It's just freaking amazing. Seeing the start screen for Crono Trigger loading filled me with all kinds of happy.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
LOVING my PSP so far. It's just freaking amazing. Seeing the start screen for Crono Trigger loading filled me with all kinds of happy.

hey
what all can you mod a psp to do? That sounds really fuckin cool
i've been so out of hte video game loop for the better part of the last decade

had no idea it could be modded

Creepn
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
How can you not appreciate the PSP if you got an ipod? PSP does so much more than ipod does but everybody loooooooves the ipod. I dont get it.

I still got my original psp phat and still loving it. Got it modded to play all my games and movies from the memory stick so I wont have to carry around all those cartridges. I also had it modded to play old nintendo games for nostalgia but I grew out of that. I just mainly use it hook it up to my car stereo and play the songs from my psp.

Good purchase Havoc!

duhoh
02-01-2010, 03:20 AM
hey
what all can you mod a psp to do? That sounds really fuckin cool
i've been so out of hte video game loop for the better part of the last decade

had no idea it could be modded

GBA - perfect
NES - perfect
Sega Genesis/CD - perfect
SNES - near perfect
PSX - fullspeed, but near perfect
N64 - WIP
GB/GBC - perfect
Neo Geo - perfect
CPS1/2 (Capcom Arcade) - perfect
and of course, being able to play your backups off the memory stick :blah

DarkReign
02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Anyone want to throw a link out there for idiots (like me) on how to mod a PSP?

Cry Havoc
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM

If you've got a phat, you need a pandora battery. Makes it a looooot easier. They're $20 on eBay.

eyeh8u
02-01-2010, 01:49 PM
to all those people who have their psp in a drawer or on top of a TV, ill pay for shipping if you send it to me

IronMexican
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM

pspiso.com has tutorials and links to all game imaginable as well as emulators and things like that. You do need to register, though, it is free.

jacobdrj
02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
How can you not appreciate the PSP if you got an ipod? PSP does so much more than ipod does but everybody loooooooves the ipod. I dont get it.

iTunes...

It is why people have iPods instead of Zunes/Zens/Sansas/Cowons/etc...

baseline bum
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM

I still got my original psp phat and still loving it. Got it modded to play all my games and movies from the memory stick so I wont have to carry around all those cartridges. I also had it modded to play old nintendo games for nostalgia but I grew out of that. I just mainly use it hook it up to my car stereo and play the songs from my psp.

Good purchase Havoc!

Reasons I like my ipod way better than my PSP:

1) The biggest memory available for my PSP was 2GB when I had it, while my ipod is 80GB.
2) The ipod can easily fit comfortably in a pocket. Not so with the PSP.
3) I can use an ipod in the sun. The PSP screen was trash and impossible to see in sunlight (unlike the far superior DS screen).
4) The battery life is far far longer on an ipod.

The PSP can certainly do more, but if I just want to listen to music or watch video, the ipod is a far better choice IMO.

Creepn
02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Reasons I like my ipod way better than my PSP:

1) The biggest memory available for my PSP was 2GB when I had it, while my ipod is 80GB.
2) The ipod can easily fit comfortably in a pocket. Not so with the PSP.
3) I can use an ipod in the sun. The PSP screen was trash and impossible to see in sunlight (unlike the far superior DS screen).
4) The battery life is far far longer on an ipod.

The PSP can certainly do more, but if I just want to listen to music or watch video, the ipod is a far better choice IMO.

Hmm, all legit reasons then! I totally agree. 80 gigs wow, do you need all of that? Nice BUT!

The thing about the psp is that, you can install all of your songs and videos on your home server, Apache or IIS, and upload it to a website, then from there you log onto that website with your psp and you can stream all of your music to the handheld. Doesnt take up any gigs at all. But of course, you would have to be in a hotspot area to make that happen which is ideal for students on a campus. Other than that, the ipod blows the psp out of the water in the memory department.

I guess it all depends on whether you want better convenience to listen to your music/videos or the convenience to play games, go online, watch movies, watch tv shows, play multi-player, look at pictures, take pictures, ect. To each his own. :D

Creepn
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM

www.afterdawn.com (http://www.afterdawn.com)

That site got everything you need to do what you want to do. Step by step instructions and fast responses if the topic is active. I cant point you to a specific page because I dont know what kind of firmware you currently have as certian firmwares have different ways that needs to be modded. Just do a search and youll be on your way.

baseline bum
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
The thing about the psp is that, you can install all of your songs and videos on your home server, Apache or IIS, and upload it to a website, then from there you log onto that website with your psp and you can stream all of your music to the handheld. Doesnt take up any gigs at all. But of course, you would have to be in a hotspot area to make that happen which is ideal for students on a campus. Other than that, the ipod blows the psp out of the water in the memory department.

That's pretty sweet. I never thought of doing that.

Cry Havoc
02-02-2010, 02:20 AM
I've got an 8 GB card for my PSP. It holds quite a lot of data.

duhoh
02-03-2010, 12:13 AM
i grabbed a 2x MicroSD/SDHC to Sony MS converter, then popped in two 16GB MicroSDHCs. Giggity.

Mister Sinister
02-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I've got an 8 GB card for my PSP. It holds quite a lot of data.
That's what I've got, too.