PDA

View Full Version : Mourning-Wade fund raises over $800K for Haiti

duncan228
01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Mourning-Wade fund raises over $800K for Haiti (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-haiti-mourningandwade&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tim Reynolds

With retired NBA star Alonzo Mourning calling the initial wave of support “overwhelming,” the Haitian earthquake relief fund he co-founded with Heat star Dwyane Wade announced Monday that its pledge total has already surpassed $800,000.

Wade’s donation was a one-game salary, about $175,000, while Mourning, LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Chris Paul each pledged $100,000, fund officials said. The “Athletes Relief Fund for Haiti” began soliciting from pro athletes Friday.

“I expected nothing less from my friends and colleagues in the sports community,” Wade said in a release. “Our commitment to this cause knows no bounds, and we will continue to accept any and all donations throughout the days ahead.”

Mourning spent about 36 hours in Haiti last week, traveling with Miami-based Project Medishare, which has worked to bring health care to the nation for about 15 years. The retired All-Star worked at a makeshift hospital and assisted rescue workers and first responders in the devastated capital of Port-au-Prince get badly needed supplies like water, food and medical equipment.

“It is the most devastating, deplorable images I’ve ever seen in my life,” Mourning said Monday in Memphis, Tenn. “(An) inhumane atmosphere to where we can only pray and do the best we can to assist those individuals.”

Mourning was in Memphis to receive the National Civil Rights Museum Sports Legacy Award for contributions to civil and human rights before the Grizzlies played the Phoenix Suns

Mourning plans to return to Haiti on Tuesday. The Heat have also continued efforts to raise money and collect donations for the region.

“The response from our colleagues has been overwhelming,” Mourning said. “We accept these donations with complete confidence that Project Medishare will put each dollar to quick and efficient use.”

Project Medishare was started in the mid-1990s by prominent Miami doctors Barth Green and Arthur Fournier, both of whom have ties to Mourning. They helped arrange for him to go to Haiti last week, and the idea for the fund was quickly born.

Among the other NBA players announced as donors: Gilbert Arenas, Al Horford, Anthony Parker, Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith, Carmelo Anthony, Ben Gordon, Mike Dunleavy, Michael Beasley, Udonis Haslem, Quentin Richardson, Devin Harris, Michael Finley, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Brewer and Caron Butler.

Many of the NBA donors so far have with played with or are close friends with Wade, who said last week he was trying to get word to every player in the league about the cause. Several other players, including Philadelphia’s Samuel Dalembert, are organizing fundraising efforts of their own, and NBA itself has pledged money for Haitian relief.

“Since first learning of the tragedy in Haiti, I was intent on finding a way to help,” James said. “I feel fortunate to be in such a position to provide support and my heart and prayers continue to be with the people of Haiti.”

NFL players Michael Vick, Terrell Owens, Josh Cribbs, Wes Welker, Randy Moss and Clinton Portis also gave money, fund officials said. Welker, Cribbs and suspended NFL player Donte Stallworth all had Twitter play a role in their donation amounts, with Stallworth saying on his feed that he would give $1 for each person who was following him, or about $34,000.

“Follow & let’s help the people of Haiti together today!” Stallworth wrote.

On the Web:

Project Medishare: http://projectmedishare.org/

BRHornet45
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
you don't see Kobe's selfish ass doing anything

iggypop123
01-19-2010, 12:02 AM
what did the nba players association donate 1 mill? thats pathetic. lebron makes that every 10 seconds

BRHornet45
01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
what did the nba players association donate 1 mill? thats pathetic. lebron makes that every 10 seconds

son we would probably see more donations from NBA and NFL players, but I think most of them are finally realizing just how much more they have to pay in taxes thanks to the president nearly all of them bowed down to.

BRHornet45
01-19-2010, 12:05 AM
and wow what a 5,000th post I must say

lil_penny
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM

No tonight he's rebuilding haiti by himself with all the bricks he's laying

duncan228
01-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Sixers’ Dalembert goes to Haiti with aid group (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-haiti-dalembert&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Philadelphia 76ers center Samuel Dalembert is going to his native Haiti with the aid group Project MediShare to assist with the earthquake relief effort.

The 76ers released a statement Monday night saying Dalembert did not return to Philadelphia with the team after a loss in Minnesota earlier in the day. He is being excused from practice Tuesday but is expected to play in Wednesday’s home game against Portland.

Dalembert is the NBA’s only Haitian-born player. He has taped a public service announcement for UNICEF encouraging fans to contribute. He will address the crowd before the 76ers’ home game Friday and make a $100,000 donation to UNICEF. He will also match the donations made by fans at the game.

The Gemini Method
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

Going gay with the Kobe hate still strong in your veins, eh? He did do something and it was partake in the Larry King donation drive. Who's to say he didn't donate anything or hasn't donate anything?

BRHornet45
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Who's to say he didn't donate anything or hasn't donate anything?

well son I guess you're right ... there are many white women in Colorado who would vouch for that.

The Gemini Method
01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
well son I guess you're right ... there are many white women in Colorado who would vouch for that.

Yeah, she got rich off the guy...no denying that. How much has that girl donated to Haiti? J/K.

j.dizzle
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
son we would probably see more donations from NBA and NFL players, but I think most of them are finally realizing just how much more they have to pay in taxes thanks to the president nearly all of them bowed down to.
Exactly son, these ppl are starting to realize that they're gonna get taxed up the ass pretty soon.:toast These motha fuckers in washinton are spending money like its growing on trees n shit.

lefty
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Have Mourning and Wade donated anything?

BlackSwordsMan
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
america taxes them 780k.

duncan228
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Have Mourning and Wade donated anything?

Wade’s donation was a one-game salary, about $175,000, while Mourning, LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Chris Paul each pledged $100,000, fund officials said.

lefty
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks 228

Those cheap bastards !!!!! :D

Baseline
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
If a person is in their income brackets, their accountants are always searching for ways to save them money on taxes. One way is to donate money to charities and other tax-exempt organizations like relief organizations of ministries. A certain percentage of their income will have to go to Uncle Sam, but there is always a certain amount for which they have a choice -- either write a check to Uncle Sam, or to a charity.

That's why so many players have foundations. If they have a half decent accountant, the foundation is fully tax-exempt. So for 90% of the players in the NBA, whose average salaries are 4-5 million a year, you can easily run 200-300K through your foundation and get a write-off. Probably much more.

duncan228
01-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Samuel Dalembert, back from Haiti with a heavy heart (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12461/samuel-dalembert-back-from-haiti-with-a-heavy-heart)
By Henry Abbott

The game between the Sixers and the Blazers started at 7 p.m.

"I'd say he was running in here at about 6:40," says Sixers P.R. man Michael Preston.

Samuel Dalembert, starting center and -- post-earthquake -- Haiti's celebrity spokesperson, advocate and benefactor, was screaming back into town after a harried visit to his distressed home country.

The Sixers lost to the Timberwolves in overtime late Monday night. After the game, Dalembert left the team and made his way to Port-au-Prince with Project Medishare. It was a struggle (http://www.the700level.com/2010/01/two-things-i-cant-question-sam-dalemberts-heart-and-hustle.html) to get back to Philadelphia in time for tonight's game, but that was nothing compared to the challenges he found in Haiti.

He cries talking about what he found there. For instance children without parents, wandering in desperation.

"I'm doing my best," he says. "I'll take another trip with UNICEF. So we can try to get all those children out there ... you know, we have parents who have been trying to adopt for two or three years."

At this point, tears are streaming down Dalembert's face. "You know and ... that's frustrating me ... you're asking people to help. And kids have parents over there who want to adopt them. I've got a hundred parents, and you have a bunch of guys sitting down with the freaking papers. All it takes is one hour to go over everything, you know what I'm saying?

"I saw somebody's leg amputated in front of me. Surgeries performed on a kitchen table ... I'm talking about a folding kitchen table ... I have some disturbing pictures. And it hurts. ... There was no surgery room ... You heard him screaming. ... Not enough alcohol. Things we take for granted, you know. They try to make one bottle of alcohol last.

"Problems just keep occurring. There's no machinery to move things around. It's taking a long time to locate the people. I know everybody is doing their best. ... It's crazy over there.

"One thing really touched my heart the most is all the children. A lot of homeless children."

Dalembert says he and Medishare are in the process of negotiating to get tents for "a ton" of people in Haiti.

"I had a meeting with the president," he says. "Myself and Alonzo Mourning. We were talking to see what's going on. The situation is so critical. They try to really ... I know everybody is trying to do their best. But the fact that you have planes that want to land, but are not able to land because the traffic ... things are not prioritized right now. It's too much to ask, but I will ask for all organizations out there to get together, and work together, to make this thing happen. I'll do my best here. The only thing I can do is try to raise as much money as possible, going to the right place."

Dalembert arrived in Florida early this morning, and had finally laid down in bed for the first time in ages. Three hours later, his phone started ringing like crazy -- it was his father, still in Haiti, saying there had been another earthquake -- an aftershock.

He can't remember the last time he slept well. He was asked how he can keep playing NBA basketball (he finished this game with 10 points and 15 rebounds).

"I know we are struggling. I wanted to go out there and contribute. I don't know. I've been tired man. Just dead. I don't know what's keeping me up. Just the urge to try to help. It's the urge to try to reach out to those people there. I know I'm not going to save the whole country. I know that. But I know I can save a lot of life. Making it just a little bit better.

"Maybe not having a house or a roof over your head, just the fact that you have that tent. A family of eight would be able to stay in that tent and feel good that we have something over our head and somebody looking out for us. That's why I try to go out there and do the best I can.

"I know God is watching over us. I know he's really going to get us through this.

"Sleep is ... shoo ... I keep drinking energy drinks, man. I look like a ghost, man. I can't believe it. It's mind-blowing. I'm talking to different organizations about OK, we've got this, we'll try to get this out there, we're trying to donate planes.

"And I'm going to do something in Philly. I will have a plane come in here, in Philly, and collect stuff next week ... and I will have the plane take the stuff over there. Also I will let people know that if doctors want to give their time, that plane can go over there bringing doctors over there. Hopefully we'll make huge progress. Hopefully we'll save more lives."

As for the people he met in Haiti, Dalembert says: "I salute all of them. ... All I see is they're still trying to find all the bodies. You still see people holding strong. They're still finding bodies after the first earthquake and people are still holding strong, man. That tells you a lot about us, man. We're out there holding strong.

"I know that deep inside, we need more. The [hospital] I was looking at -- you can't even fit another person. You're walking on top of people, saying excuse me. ... Flying mosquitoes. A couple of people came to me and said 'please, I haven't drunk water in X amount of days. I had to go in my bag and give them a little bottle of water and they said 'thank you so much, thank you so much.'"

TDMVPDPOY
01-21-2010, 03:31 AM
If a person is in their income brackets, their accountants are always searching for ways to save them money on taxes. One way is to donate money to charities and other tax-exempt organizations like relief organizations of ministries. A certain percentage of their income will have to go to Uncle Sam, but there is always a certain amount for which they have a choice -- either write a check to Uncle Sam, or to a charity.

That's why so many players have foundations. If they have a half decent accountant, the foundation is fully tax-exempt. So for 90% of the players in the NBA, whose average salaries are 4-5 million a year, you can easily run 200-300K through your foundation and get a write-off. Probably much more.

the question is whose claiming the deductions, like ur avg donations on the street are these foundations handing out receipts to the donators so they can claim a tax deduction or is the foundation claiming the deduction all for itself? looks like someone is claiming something they shouldnt...

cobbler
01-21-2010, 03:56 AM

And you have contributed what? I'm guessing not a penny. Typical repetitive boring Kobe obsession in full bloom. You really need to find a new schtick BR.

TheManFromAcme
01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
No tonight he's rebuilding haiti by himself with all the bricks he's laying

:lmao

Got to admit penny, that was pretty funny