PDA

View Full Version : I'm done with Sprint, any suggestions on which provider to go to?

Jacob1983
01-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Today was the last straw with Sprint. They pissed me off for the last time. Getting a 96 dollar bill for what I pay for is a joke. I have the most basic plan they have yet the fuckin bill is that high. I was in a contract with them but that ended back in the fall of 2008. I've just been doing month by month service. I pay 40 for the plan, 5 for 300 text messages and 7 for insurance. There's no fucking way that adds up to 96 dollars even with tax. I only paid the fucking amount because I didn't want my phone to be cut off. I also paid it because I was in a hurry and I didn't have time to bitch. I was also getting charged 10 dollars for a 3rd party text messaging service that I never even signed up for. Sprint just now told me that today. I'm gonna quit Sprint pretty soon but I haven't decided which service I will change to. I'm thinking either AT&T or Verizon. I went to the Verizon tonight and they had some good deals. I basically told the guy at Verizon to not fuck with me or bullshit me. I was surprised. He didn't try at all to sell me one of those stupid super expensive phones with internet, MP3 player, video, camera, GPS, etc... all things that you don't have to have on a cell phone even though a lot of people have them. I only need to a cellphone for calls and texts. That's it.

ShoogarBear
01-19-2010, 05:09 AM
If your issue with Sprint is just cost, most analyses will tell you they usually have the cheapest plans and the best value for their network speed and coverage area.

If you want to talk about customer service, phones, etc., that's something different.

Bender
01-19-2010, 06:12 AM
I just went with Cricket 3 months ago. Got a basic phone for myself, and a mid-level phone for my 12 year old son. Month-to-month plan, no contract, unlimited calls and texts. It's right at $70 a month for both phones. Mine is $25 a month and my son's is $30, plus I got insurance on my son's.

I'm not crazy about the service area of cricket though. I drive (or motorcycle ride) on back roads in the TX Hill Country sometimes, and it goes out of service a lot, when you get away from major roads/cities.

I just use cell phones for convenience - occasional calls and texts, that's it.

exstatic
01-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Just curious: did you recently sign up for any games or apps on MySpace or FaceBook? Ive heard that some of those things drop nasties on your cell phone bill. That wouldn't be Sprint's fault either. It would be yours for not reading the fine print while signing up.

Summers
01-19-2010, 09:23 AM
We're pretty happy with T-Mobile. They're not the cheapest, but the phones always work and the customer service is good.

florige
01-19-2010, 09:27 AM
We're pretty happy with T-Mobile. They're not the cheapest, but the phones always work and the customer service is good.

I think Sprint has the worst phones on the market. I am now on my third phone within the last 3 months for the same dumbass problem in I only recieve texts half the time. When I have a text coming in it gives me this weird icon but no text.

Summers
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I think Sprint has the worst phones on the market. I am now on my third phone within the last 3 months for the same dumbass problem in I only recieve texts half the time. When I have a text coming in it gives me this weird icon but no text.

Do you turn your phone off regularly? RG was having weird missed-call issues and customer service told us you have to turn it off so the phone can download software updates from the satellite (or something like that). She recommended every night, but we only do ours a couple times a week and don't have any problems anymore.

For the OP, if you just want calls and texting, I have the Samsung Gravity:http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=Samsung-Gravity-White-with-Aqua

It's just a plain Jane phone with a full keyboard. Our plan is a family plan, which is probably not what you're looking for, but we get unlimited texting and a ridiculous amount of minutes for about $100 a month for the two of us (but I use my cell as a business phone also).

Drachen
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM

I use cricket and have no problem with them at all. I thought that T-Mobile was the cheapest of the "bigs" I see them advertising unlimited talk for 49.00 and unlimited talk, text, and internet for 79.00. Am I wrong that they are not the cheapest? I know that in a recent study of the 4 biggest cell phone companies T-mobile came in a close second to verizon, and att and sprint were a substantial amount below them. They combined service (coverage areas, dropped calls, etc), customer service and something else (cant remember) for the study.

Summers
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I use cricket and have no problem with them at all. I thought that T-Mobile was the cheapest of the "bigs" I see them advertising unlimited talk for 49.00 and unlimited talk, text, and internet for 79.00. Am I wrong that they are not the cheapest? I know that in a recent study of the 4 biggest cell phone companies T-mobile came in a close second to verizon, and att and sprint were a substantial amount below them. They combined service (coverage areas, dropped calls, etc), customer service and something else (cant remember) for the study.

Oh, of the big carriers... I don't know, but I've always assumed the prices were comparable. I know T-Mobile gets high marks for its customer service, because they tell us that all the time. :lol We've never had any technical problems with our phones, except the one I described above.

Drachen
01-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh, of the big carriers... I don't know, but I've always assumed the prices were comparable. I know T-Mobile gets high marks for its customer service, because they tell us that all the time. :lol We've never had any technical problems with our phones, except the one I described above.

I know t-mobile has had their 49.00 unlimited talk plan for a while, and I just saw an ad last night for verizon "introducing" the fact that they were dropping the price of their unlimited talk plan from 99.00 to 69.00.

I have 2 phones on my cricket plan, and pay 101.50 a month (including taxes, etc). For that I get unlimited talk, text, and internet. I also have insurance on both phones

florige
01-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Do you turn your phone off regularly? RG was having weird missed-call issues and customer service told us you have to turn it off so the phone can download software updates from the satellite (or something like that). She recommended every night, but we only do ours a couple times a week and don't have any problems anymore.

For the OP, if you just want calls and texting, I have the Samsung Gravity:http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=Samsung-Gravity-White-with-Aqua

It's just a plain Jane phone with a full keyboard. Our plan is a family plan, which is probably not what you're looking for, but we get unlimited texting and a ridiculous amount of minutes for about $100 a month for the two of us (but I use my cell as a business phone also).

Huh, I never know that. The dude at Sprint never told me that. I think I am going to try that and see if that changes anything. Thanks!

romad_20
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM

PM me. I may or may not work on said carrier's phone (wink) and might be able to give you some help on your problem.

Whisky Dog
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Get the boost mobile no contract $50 a month unlimited talk and texting

florige
01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I just went through this with Sprint. For unlimited text, data, mobile to mobile and 1000 minutes on a 2 line phone.

1) Sprint cheapest
2) AT&T
3) T-mobile(T-mobile and AT&T are around the same price so either or)

4) Verizon was almost $80 more a month on a comparable plan

Single lines differ and the savings not so much but I still believe in the order.

This is what I suggest. If you are a person who texts, and use your phone for internet all the time, you are better off just getting that everything plan for like $100 a month. Going with another plan with limits is asking for trouble. I learned the hard way when I got a bill for $400 one time.

fraga
01-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I got it...threaten to cancel...get tossed to Retentions...start complaining...see what they throw at you...usually....usually...they'll throw some cool stuff your way to keep you...if not...just cancel...what have you got to lose...

CubanMustGo
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I use AT&T but only b/c I get a 28% discount through my employer.

leemajors
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
I use AT&T but only b/c I get a 28% discount through my employer.

I only get 17% and we have their best phone, damn!

blizz
01-19-2010, 03:26 PM
i've been cell phone shopping the last week or so. with my wife's sprint discount i can get 450 anytime minutes, unlimited txts and internet for $57/mo but the phone is going to cost $179 after a $100 mail in rebate. with att i can get an iphone for $200 and $80/mo with 450 min, 200 txts and unlimited internet.

Heath Ledger
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Verizon and ATT are in a price war.

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/verizon-and-att-cut-prices/

Jacob1983
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I might give Sprint a 2nd chance. I'm not sure. I just hate being tied down with those stupid contracts. Right now, I'm just doing month to month but it's not prepaid.

Sense
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Get the boost mobile no contract $50 a month unlimited talk and texting

and internet.... which is hard to enjoy with their gay phones....

I think Boost>cricket... easily...

I used to pay 80 a month with AT&T.. unlimited internet, texts and kind of unlimited minutes the way rollover worked for me....

Never dissappointed.... and I do mi sit.

leemajors
01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I might give Sprint a 2nd chance. I'm not sure. I just hate being tied down with those stupid contracts. Right now, I'm just doing month to month but it's not prepaid.

The HTC Hero is a solid phone if you stick with Sprint.

Sense
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM

Sportcamper
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I have Verizon & the coverage is fantastic…I want an I-phone but I hear nothing but complaints from At&t users…

CuckingFunt
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I have Verizon & the coverage is fantastic…I want an I-phone but I hear nothing but complaints from At&t users…

My aunt recently got an iPhone and I've yet to have a conversation with her since then that wasn't dropped.

leemajors
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I drop calls with my iPhone in very specific parts of Austin, and usually am not making/taking calls when in those areas. Outside of that, no issues whatsoever. They beefed up the network here though, since SXSW and some other stuff tends to overload it.

DPG21920
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Does Sprint auto renew you when your contract is up?

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Does Sprint auto renew you when your contract is up?
No

PM5K
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
It would be nice to know what they overcharged you for.

exstatic
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM

It's not the phone. It's AT&T's shitty 3G coverage area and service.

If you're happy with Verizon, you'll like the Verizon iPhone that should be coming out later this year.

exstatic
01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Just curious: did you recently sign up for any games or apps on MySpace or FaceBook? Ive heard that some of those things drop nasties on your cell phone bill. That wouldn't be Sprint's fault either. It would be yours for not reading the fine print while signing up.

The dime dropped today. Did you text donate to Haiti, because that might account for the $10, and would appear on your bill in a form you might not recognize.

xellos88330
01-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I haven't had any problems with Verizon. It is more expensive than other though.

DPG21920
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I get mixed reviews with ATT. I never hear anything about their coverage, the complaints usually come in the form of customer service.

Ginofan
01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
We have a shared plan on Sprint and pay about $145 total a month. We have 1500 minutes per month and everything data on both of our phones. I've got a Palm Pre (LOOOOVE!) and he's got a Blackberry Curve...both are great phones. I maybe have 1 dropped call every couple of months and that usually is because we go out to Floresville where the signal isn't so great.

But I've always been very pleased with Sprint. If I ever had a question on my bill the customer service reps always helped me understand and most of the time if I had gone over minutes they would take off the extra charges. The only bad thing was that they hardly spoke english. But you can always chat online if you don't want to deal with the phone people.

You should always look at your bill for those miscellaneous charges...don't just pay something because you're out of time and don't want to deal with it! On our last bill, "Sprint Surcharges" and "Government Fees" only came to about $17...so if I were you I'd definitely double check your charges and call them with any questions you've got.

Duff McCartney
01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
We have a shared plan on Sprint and pay about $145 total a month. We have 1500 minutes per month and everything data on both of our phones. I've got a Palm Pre (LOOOOVE!) and he's got a Blackberry Curve...both are great phones.

I had that for a while, but now I'm on a single plan. It's about 80 bucks for 450 minutes and unlimited text and internet. I hardly ever use the minutes.

But as far as the Pre I bought it the day it came out and it's a disappointing phone for me. I think it's crap. I've already had to replace it and prior to their most recent updates, the phone was unstable when I tried to watch videos. It would ALWAYS restart. The battery life is crap as well. It drains so damn fast.

Unless Palm comes out with a phone that will wow me, I think I'm done using their phones. They are pretty much dead in the water as of right now because the Pre was nothing like it was hyped up to be.

fraga
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I've heard the HTC phone series such as the Hero and Pro are very good phones...

RGMCSE
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
We have a shared plan on Sprint and pay about $145 total a month. We have 1500 minutes per month and everything data on both of our phones. I've got a Palm Pre (LOOOOVE!) and he's got a Blackberry Curve...both are great phones. I maybe have 1 dropped call every couple of months and that usually is because we go out to Floresville where the signal isn't so great.

But I've always been very pleased with Sprint. If I ever had a question on my bill the customer service reps always helped me understand and most of the time if I had gone over minutes they would take off the extra charges. The only bad thing was that they hardly spoke english. But you can always chat online if you don't want to deal with the phone people.

You should always look at your bill for those miscellaneous charges...don't just pay something because you're out of time and don't want to deal with it! On our last bill, "Sprint Surcharges" and "Government Fees" only came to about $17...so if I were you I'd definitely double check your charges and call them with any questions you've got.

All this cell phone discussion is really subjective. All of them suck in their own way. But I have to say that I have been an ATT customer for 6 years. I was always having trouble with dropped calls. I live inside loop 410. They have done a signal check and supposedly I live in a prime signal area. This has happened with all phones, as I would constantly test phones and just place my sim card in a different phone to test it out. The one phone that gave me the least issues overall was the Motorola Q. But it was pretty much a known thing with all my friends and family that if were having a long discussion, get ready to have multiple dropped calls. After a while it was second nature that I would call the person back and continue the conversation as if nothing ever happened. The kicker was that the wife and I had a shared minute plan with unlimited text. Thats it! No data or anything else. Our bill was still over 130 a month.

The wife had been wanting an upgrade for a while and I told her lets really think about this. Our last 2 year contract ended in april so we took all the time till now to research, phones, reviews, customer service, price, coverage. We looked at all of the big 4 and including Boost, Pocket and Cricket. Ultimately we chose sprint. They had better phones (IMO) I don't give a rats ass about the Iphone. Not because it's not cool, but because several people I know were paying almost 200 a month for it. The coverage was comparable. I had been a Sprint Customer way back in the early 2000's and had known there rep for poor CS. But in the end it was ATT that failed at that. We called and went to the stores and received poor CS. I went to Sprint and called them since and have received very welcome CS. Soooo basically I felt that I had given ATT enough time and wanted to try something else. Besides I can deal with 2 years at sprint if I dealt with poor phone issues and service at ATT for 6.

My plan with sprint is there unlimited plan. All mobile carriers are free calls. Unlimited text data and all that other stuff and 1500 minutes plus 7pm to 7am nights. My favorite part is that the plan has an upgrade at 1 year. At Att I would have to sweat it out for 2 years and then upgrade. All of this for $129.99. Not to mention Sprint gave me 7% more of a discount with my employer than ATT. The only draw back that I have noticed so far is that the phones are more expensive out the door. However I happened to by both of our phones on a sale day and payed less. I got the Samsung Moment Android phone for 129 and my wife got the Blackberry Curve 8530 for 99.99. So far I'm very pleased. I'm sure something will come up but you can't blame me for switching to sprint they just kicked ATT's nut sack for our business.

Rob

Frenzy
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
wife had sprint for a year and we always felt like we were getting over charged or nickle and dimed. We just stopped it was very annoying. T-mobile for me Wife had pocket. I never had problems. She however gets the occasional mega late text.

Wild Cobra
01-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I have 5 lines on my family plan with T-Mobil. Been with them since 1999. Had my share of minor issues, but they were always resolved, and their customer service is good. I hear horror stories about other providers that I cannot imagine with T-Mobil.

My service:

$89.99 1800 minute My Fav family plan. Unlimited cell to cell, weekends, and nights. No charge long distance.
$19.99 unlimited multimedia messaging
$9.99 x 3 additional lines.

Basically, $140 +tax, about $152/month.

Still, if you want a plan with no surprises, the monthly types like Cricket are probably the way to go.